What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

I have had a blast watching a few movies with my 9 year old the last few weeks.

Moana: I absolutely loved this movie. I've stayed away because in general I don't like Disney/singing movies, but we have been getting into a fun habit of watching a movie together at least once a week. It's not fair if you don't let them choose too, so this was her idea. I think I liked it more than her. Small sample size but comparing movies like this and Encanto to Pixar's output in the similar time, it seems they have reversed their quality from the decades before.

On my urging I wanted to get to a few 80s movies that I would have seen at her age, so that is '84 and Karate Kid. We aren't far removed from it's 40th Anniversary. I made the mistake of playing her trailer to this and the 00s version. Of course she wanted to watch the newer one so I played the slow game. We watch both, and tonight she said she still liked the dumb Jaden version better, but I know better. There was only one of them where she was singing to the soundtrack, mimicking the moves to, and reacting to. It surely wasn't that newest POS. ;)

Seriously, though. The more I watch it, the more I think about how great Karate Kid is. Especially when you can watch back to back how it can go wrong. Nothing it replacing Back to the Future in my heart and repeat viewings for 80s movies, but I am starting to realize that KK is more of 1b to that one than it is a #2. Ghostbusters is still #3 for "80s" movies (different that movies of the 80s), but I can't remember when I've watched that last, but still watch Karate Kid and Back ot the Future a lot.

Moana: I absolutely loved this movie. I've stayed away because in general I don't like Disney/singing movies, but we have been getting into a fun habit of watching a movie together at least once a week. It's not fair if you don't let them choose too, so this was her idea. I think I liked it more than her. Small sample size but comparing movies like this and Encanto to Pixar's output in the similar time, it seems they have reversed their quality from the decades before.

On my urging I wanted to get to a few 80s movies that I would have seen at her age, so that is '84 and Karate Kid. We aren't far removed from it's 40th Anniversary. I made the mistake of playing her trailer to this and the 00s version. Of course she wanted to watch the newer one so I played the slow game. We watch both, and tonight she said she still liked the dumb Jaden version better, but I know better. There was only one of them where she was singing to the soundtrack, mimicking the moves to, and reacting to. It surely wasn't that newest POS. ;)

Seriously, though. The more I watch it, the more I think about how great Karate Kid is. Especially when you can watch back to back how it can go wrong. Nothing it replacing Back to the Future in my heart and repeat viewings for 80s movies, but I am starting to realize that KK is more of 1b to that one than it is a #2. Ghostbusters is still #3 for "80s" movies (different that movies of the 80s), but I can't remember when I've watched that last, but still watch Karate Kid and Back ot the Future a lot.
Took the 15 year old to see Jaws at the theater Wednesday night. She liked it and said it was pretty scary. I am not sure I can think of many 70s movies that I would even think of taking a kid to now. I guess Willy Wonka (she has seen that though). The 80s have plenty, 70s it gets tough.

@KarmaPolice - In a giant coincidence, I too watched Karate Kid last night.

It'll always be awesome. It struck me this time how many subjects are touched on - race, class, the generation gap, and of course and most importantly the "father"/son bond.

Amid the chaos there are so many small, touching parts. I think my favorite is (dialog may be slightly off):
DL: Hey, if you ever want this patch back I understand.
MM: I know you understand.

Couldn't the world do with a lot more peace, love, and understanding?

Ok so watched a ton of movies since getting back from vacation. 92 degrees with 70% humidity isn’t very good for doing much else.

Inside Out 2
A very good sequel. Not nearly as funny or sad but I was thoroughly engrossed in the story and it does such a good job building a story around how emotions work and how we grow and develop, heal, etc. Highly recommend for families.

The last couple summers, I’ve done a “movie festival”. Two years ago it was epics. Last year it was westerns. This year it’s global. So far:

Happy Together: Hong Kong-Argentina. Beautifully sad love story. As Wong Kar Wai always does, the vignettes feel like memories or dreams. There’s such a certain quality his movies have that almost no other filmmaker is able to replicate.

The Zone of Interest: Germany-Poland. This was a brilliant movie. The banality of evil is the perfect description for this. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it. It’s maybe more terrifying than Schindlers List despite having no actual violence whatsoever.

I’m No Longer Here: Mexico-NYC. This one caught me off guard with how great it was. Holy ****, it’s on Netflix. Check it out. A teen in Monterrey is accidentally caught up in the gang violence of his neighborhood and forced to sneak into America to try to start a new life. While that sounds super depressing and it is, it doesn’t leave you feeling hopeless at all. It has a real strength to it. The main character Ulises is one I will never forget.

The Proposition Australia. Absolutely brutal western. Very good if that’s your thing. Written by Nick Cave. The score he did for it is also excellent.
Kept going with the global movie festival going (though we got a puppy Monday so movie watching has really slowed down).

Port of Shadows: France. Going back to 1938 and the great Jean Gabin. This is a key movie for the development of film noir. I have to imagine the great European emigre directors who populated Hollywood in the 40s and 50s took inspiration from this. The film description screams noir: Down a foggy, desolate road to the port city of Le Havre travels Jean, an army deserter looking for another chance to make good on life. Fate, however, has a different plan for him, as acts of both revenge and kindness render him front-page news. Any fan of 40s noirs should absolutely check this out.

Yojimbo: Japan. Even though he never made a western, there are few filmamkers as important to the midcentury development of the Western than Akira Kurosawa. Seven Samurai became The Magnificnet Seven. The ultimate get the gang together, assemble the team movie that we see not just out west but in The Expendables, Avengers, etc. It's a blueprint on which hundreds of movies have been built. Then with Yojimbo, Kurosawa created the polar plan: the lone nameless "hero". This diretcly became Eastwood's Dollar's trilogy character. But it's also an archetype that we recycle endlessly. He's alone, he owes nohing to anyone but he does have a moral code. He's not a good guy but he's not bad either. He's an opportunist. It's a spin on Shane (who was very much not nameless) who wanted to to be good, wanted a simple life, wanted to sacrifice for the good. Kurosawa's nameless hero isn't looking for redemption.

The Official Story: Argentina. The 1986 Best Foreign Film winner at the Academy Awards is a tragic look into the damage done during Argentina's military dictatorship of the late 70s and early 80s. This centers on a bourgeois husband and wife during the final days of the oppressive regime. The husband has aligned himself with the military and sees their position slipping while the wife begins to ask questions about where their adopted daughter came from. Tremendous lead performance from Norma Aleandro. Anyone interested in a movie that blends family drama with historical events this is on HBO Max and well worth checking out.

Petite Maman: France. Celine Sciamma's follow-up to the much acclaimed Portrait of a Lady on Fire is such a small, sweet and tender movie. Coming in at just 72 minutes, it's a breezy warm hug of a watch. I appreciate her telling a story in that time frame (aka I could watch the whole thing during 1 puppy nap) and not feeling the to need to drag it out to hit 90 mins or some kind of arbitrary marker. This reminded me a lot of All of Us Strangers which is the only real hint I will give at the plot other than to say it's about a young girl who's grandmother passes away. I really liked this one and need to dig into more of Sciamma's movies.

Took the 15 year old to see Jaws at the theater Wednesday night. She liked it and said it was pretty scary. I am not sure I can think of many 70s movies that I would even think of taking a kid to now. I guess Willy Wonka (she has seen that though). The 80s have plenty, 70s it gets tough.
Awesome! I have seen Jaws recently so I fell asleep to ID4 last night. I joked with my kid we were going to watch Jaws in the afternoon because it was PG, but she wasn't buying it. Lol. Another I would love to see on the big screen in a great theater.

It'll always be awesome. It struck me this time how many subjects are touched on - race, class, the generation gap, and of course and most importantly the "father"/son bond.

Amid the chaos there are so many small, touching parts. I think my favorite is (dialog may be slightly off):

This is one that IMO really separates itself from most of the pack of 80s movies. It is longer than I always remember (in my mind its a 100min movie), but I don't think there is any fat on this one and have come to think of it as just a great movie, especially for family viewing.

As you posted, at it's core there it is just a warm, touching movie with great relationships. What I was thinking about last night is how I underestimated how they had a friendship long before the karate. Also the mom is better than I remember and like you said it's little moments that I caught. I think it's great after the dirt bike wreck where she actually said to Daniel "you are right, it wasn't fair to not ask about moving" (paraphrasing). Besides Miyagi, the star of the show is Ali though. My biggest take away from last night was how great of a character and person she is in this movie, and not in the generic I had a crush on her in the 80s way.

This is one that IMO really separates itself from most of the pack of 80s movies. It is longer than I always remember (in my mind its a 100min movie), but I don't think there is any fat on this one and have come to think of it as just a great movie, especially for family viewing.

As you posted, at it's core there it is just a warm, touching movie with great relationships. What I was thinking about last night is how I underestimated how they had a friendship long before the karate. Also the mom is better than I remember and like you said it's little moments that I caught. I think it's great after the dirt bike wreck where she actually said to Daniel "you are right, it wasn't fair to not ask about moving" (paraphrasing). Besides Miyagi, the star of the show is Ali though. My biggest take away from last night was how great of a character and person she is in this movie, and not in the generic I had a crush on her in the 80s way.
She's a great character. She demonstrates that a woman can be nurturing without sacrificing independence or worse becoming a mawkish doormat. She effectively tells Daniel, "I'm on your side as long as you're not being a jerk or putting your insecurities like 'what car you ' drive on me. I will not suffer you as a putz."

Petite Maman: France. Celine Sciamma's follow-up to the much acclaimed Portrait of a Lady on Fire is such a small, sweet and tender movie. Coming in at just 72 minutes, it's a breezy warm hug of a watch. I appreciate her telling a story in that time frame (aka I could watch the whole thing during 1 puppy nap) and not feeling the to need to drag it out to hit 90 mins or some kind of arbitrary marker. This reminded me a lot of All of Us Strangers which is the only real hint I will give at the plot other than to say it's about a young girl who's grandmother passes away. I really liked this one and need to dig into more of Sciamma's movies.
This was a refreshing movie. Very little dialogue, I don't remember much of a soundtrack - just environmental sounds. The child actors did a really good job, I wonder if it's easier when they're acting in another language and we're reading their dialogue rather than focusing on their cadence or anything.

This was a refreshing movie. Very little dialogue, I don't remember much of a soundtrack - just environmental sounds. The child actors did a really good job, I wonder if it's easier when they're acting in another language and we're reading their dialogue rather than focusing on their cadence or anything.
Certainly might be easier with the language but I agree they were excellent. Perhaps it helped that they were twins and acting with your twin might make you more comfortable though I thought they also were able to convey that they were 2 different people with different personalities as well. I know a lot of that is the direction, editing, etc. but it was impressive by the girls.

She's a great character. She demonstrates that a woman can be nurturing without sacrificing independence or worse becoming a mawkish doormat. She effectively tells Daniel, "I'm on your side as long as you're not being a jerk or putting your insecurities like 'what car you ' drive on me. I will not suffer you as a putz."
It's refreshing to see a HS character like that not give a crap about cliques and status during the course of the movie. Punches and yells at Johnny, is the one who pursues Daniel more than he does her, etc.

I just felt sorry for her during that atrocious kiss by the slide. :lol:

Last edited:
Watching them close together is a good exercise to see what can go wrong with the same story. The 00s version has none of the heart or warmth and the relationships aren't as good.

I also like that what Daniel uses to win feels like stuff that was taught in that short time, and a couple moves in the final match were from Miyagi himself - the move he used on Daniel when he was being annoying during their 1st punch lesson, and the crane. That cobra stuff + flip kick was silly, but I'd also guess some of that was Smith ego coming in. I like how during the pics at the end Will Smith was in most.

Movies I watched in June
Woodshock - short (1985 - R. Linklater)
The Bricklayer (2023 - R. Harlin)
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024 - G. Miller)
Me and Orson Welles (2008 - R. Linklater)
Romance on the High Seas (1948 - M. Curtiz)
The Drowning Pool (1975 - S. Rosenberg)
Under Paris (2024 - X. Gens)
The Red Badge of Courage (1951 - J. Huston)
Adagio (2023 - S. Sollima)
Hit Man (2024 - R. Linklater)
City on Fire (1987 - R. Lam)
Designing Woman (1957 - V. Minnelli)
Above the Law (1988 - A. Davis)
Stone Cold (1991 - C.R. Baxley)
Miracles (1989 - J. Chan)
Blood and Sand (1941 - R. Mamoulian)
Before Sunrise (1995 - R. Linklater)
Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong (2015 - E. Ting)
Repo Man (1984 - A. Cox)
Red Heat (1988 - W. Hill)
John and Mary (1969 - P. Yates)
The Aristocrats (2005 - P. Provenza)
Before Midnight (2013 - R. Linklater)
Maximum Risk (1996 - R. Lam)
The Eagle Has Landed (1976 - J. Sturges)
The Aviator (2004 - M. Scorsese)
Action Jackson (1988 - C.R. Baxley)
Unfaithfully Yours (1948 - P. Sturges)
Ferrari (2023 - M. Mann)
The Outfit (1973 - J. Flynn)
Parker (2013 - T. Hackford)
Shakedown (1988 - J. Glickenhaus)
Godzilla Minus One (2023 - T. Yamazaki)

I had some downtime this month due to Covid so I went kind of ham with 33 films. I've already written up a lot of the 80s action and Linklater-adjacent ones but there were some others.

Romance on the High Seas was a delightful 40s musical starring Janis Paige (RIP). It's a silly tale of mistaken identities livened up by some cool musical numbers staged by Busby Berkeley. The Drowning Pool was Paul Newman's return to the Ross Macdonald private eye character he played in Harper. It was inferior in pretty much every way. I could watch Newman and Joanne Woodward in just about anything but this one stretched the limits of that. The Red Badge of Courage was supposedly mangled by the studio. John Huston's cut has been lost to history; what's left over has its moments but was mostly lacking.

Designing Woman is a clever 50s romcom with a great midcentury modern look to it. Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall basically played variations on Tracy and Hepburn. You don't normally associate Peck and Bacall with comedy but they were both terrific. Blood and Sand is an absolutely incredible looking movie about the rise and fall of a Spanish bullfighter. It was shot in vivid early Technicolor and every scene looked like a painting come to life. I've never been much of a Tyrone Power fan but he captured the courage and foolishness of the hero.

Repo Man was my Father's Day choice because my daughter had never heard of it. The movie was definitely a product of its time but it mostly holds up. Watching it decades later restored some unconscious memories of the 80s. On its surface, The Aristocrats is a movie about a dumb joke but it's really more about the subculture of standup comedy. It's sad how many of the comedians shown are no longer with us. The Eagle Has Landed was an old fashioned WWII picture that largely focused on the German commandos trying to kidnap Churchill. It wasn't the best choice to remember Donald Sutherland (RIP) but his Irish accent had to be heard to be believed.

The Outfit and Parker are two different movies based on the same character, Donald E. Westlake's classic antihero Parker. The Outfit was the better of the two by far with a great cast including Robert Duvall, Joe Don Baker, Karen Black and Robert Ryan. It was a strong 70s neo-noir although I thought it started to pull its punches a little toward the end. Parker stars Jason Statham in the title role. He was fine but the movie tried for a lighter touch like Get Shorty or Out of Sight and gave Jennifer Lopez a lot of screen time which took the edge off of Statham's character.

Movies I watched in June
Before Sunrise (1995 - R. Linklater)
Repo Man (1984 - A. Cox)
The Aristocrats (2005 - P. Provenza)
Before Midnight (2013 - R. Linklater)
Ferrari (2023 - M. Mann)

Wow, I usually find myself nodding along with most of your choices, but of your 33 this month I've only seen these five. Maybe because you were doing an 80s action thing? Any of those that you'd recommend?

Had you already seen Before Sunset, so that one didn't make the list?

Alien

Wow, I usually find myself nodding along with most of your choices, but of your 33 this month I've only seen these five. Maybe because you were doing an 80s action thing? Any of those that you'd recommend?

Had you already seen Before Sunset, so that one didn't make the list?

The 80s action stuff was just a lark. City on Fire was probably the best of the bunch although I thought the Steven Seagal movie Above the Law was surprisingly solid and would get you in a Chicago mood. I'd seen Before Sunrise and Sunset previously so I gave myself a pass on Sunset for Linklater month--I also couldn't find a free stream of it.

The two movies that really blew me away this month were both from 40s Hollywood: Unfaithfully Yours and Blood and Sand. I posted a write up and YT link to the former in the Linklater thread.

You should watch this. If anything it is peak 80's adolescence. There are some legit good scenes though. I have watched a bit of it recently and was still fun to see and I have seen it many times.

I'm thinking my son must have seen Karate Kid when he was doing Kenpo but I have no recollection of that.

You should watch this. If anything it is peak 80's adolescence. There are some legit good scenes though. I have watched a bit of it recently and was still fun to see and I have seen it many times.

I'm thinking my son must have seen Karate Kid when he was doing Kenpo but I have no recollection of that.
Your son being into Kenpo would add to the campiness of Karate Kid for you I think. You’d also learn why people randomly say “wax on wax off”.

If I remember correctly, Karate Kid manages to avoid the ridiculous racism that was so casually thrown around towards Asian people in the 80s. Maybe I missed something but I remember it being respectful. Now I’m not Asian so maybe this is just me being a bit ignorant and missing some obvious stuff but I was always sensitive towards this since much of my family is Japanese.

We're watching the top 100 movies of all time. Up to 95 (started at 100). Seven Samurai. I had forgotten just how brutal it is.

Despicable Me 4 in the theater today. Meh, but I guess my son had a good time, which is what counts the most.
Yea fell asleep for a LONG time during this one. My 6 year old son proclaimed it as the best movie ever though (beating inside out 2 for the title which beat Garfield for the title which beat).

Caught 'Memory' starring Jessica Chastain last night

So well-acted all the way around

Some moral dilemmas being wrestled with in this one

8.5/10

I saw it on Paramount +

Last edited:

I noticed you didn't write up Under Paris in your movies of the month post. :popcorn:

We saw the latest Quiet Place in the theater last night because we were Amtraked in Boston last night.

Some quality acting in there. And a decent job with the story and moving it along quickly... Even if lots of it pulled by feline paws.

Does anybody know... How much later after day one is it when the first movie happens?

Saw "Land of Bad" with Russel Crowe

Plot was a bit formulaic but some great modern warfare scenes that I really enjoyed. I can see why it's received decent reviews.

Russel Crowe needs to find a treadmill.

We saw the latest Quiet Place in the theater last night because we were Amtraked in Boston last night.

Some quality acting in there. And a decent job with the story and moving it along quickly... Even if lots of it pulled by feline paws.

Does anybody know... How much later after day one is it when the first movie happens?
Something like 80 days for the first scene, then something like 450 for the rest of the movie.

I noticed you didn't write up Under Paris in your movies of the month post. :popcorn:

I thought I did earlier. I usually don't wait until the end of month wrap for new releases
Under Paris (Netflix) is a new shark movie set in the city of light. It's never really explained why a new species of gigantic fresh water sharks ended up in the Seine and the catacombs but something in the travel brochures must have caught their eye.

All your favorite shark movie character types are here: an oceanographer who lost her husband in a shark attack, a brave hero from the Parisian river police, a young climate activist who wants to help the shark reach open waters and a mayor who's more concerned about hosting a big pre-Olympics triathlon than in public safety. It drags a bit in the first hour but gets crazy as hell at the end. I'm a sucker for films shot in Paris and the CGI sharks aren't terrible which was enough to keep me entertained and amused as I rooted for the sharks.

I've watched more 90s action than Ridley Scott movies so far this month.

First was Thelma & Louise, then Under Siege. Last night was a double feature since I couldn't sleep. Another 48 Hours and Universal Soldier. @Pip's Invitation ;)

Watched the most recent Kong / Godzilla movie yesterday on Max.

Wow. And not in a good way. What a disaster.

Like Planet of the Apes combined with Pacific Rim combined with How to Train Your Dragon, but done horribly wrong.

Oh, Kong has an injured right hand? We just so happen to have a prototype replacement we were working on.
Thankfully it was his right hand. Had his left hand been injured we would be screwed!

Like Planet of the Apes combined with Pacific Rim combined with How to Train Your Dragon, but done horribly wrong.

Oh, Kong has an injured right hand? We just so happen to have a prototype replacement we were working on.
Thankfully it was his right hand. Had his left hand been injured we would be screwed!
Agree with all of this and it was quite the let down after watching the far superior Godzilla Minus One. I couldn't shake the idea that I was watching a Disney adaptation with Skar being King Louie from Jungle book. That's how hookie the movie was, imo. Awful, and a departure from the first couple of Godzilla/Kong movies in this world. Botched completely.

I too did not enjoy the last long Godzilla movie. Liked the last one. Haven't checked out minus one yet.

Still a big skull island fan

I saw this at the theater and thought it was crap too.

The fun part of monster movies is watching them smash. Especially Godzilla. Walking through cities, setting fire to things, stomping on them, people running for their lives - that's fun.

Putting them down in some middle earth with nobody else around? Boring.

Users who are viewing this thread