What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

Holy crap is Rambo: First Blood Part 2 a lot of movie. First time watching it, and :lmao: . Absolutely amazing, and very 80s.

It's been decades but I remember Rambo as being a massive shift in character and tone from First Blood. Stallone had experience with this sort of character progression from the Rocky series and knew that audiences wouldn't care.

Holy crap is Rambo: First Blood Part 2 a lot of movie. First time watching it, and :lmao: . Absolutely amazing, and very 80s.
Rambo 3 is when al Qaeda are the good guys.
Lol. I can't wait.

I think 3 is tonight's movie, but I also have a bunch of others too: Cobra, Cliffhanger, Kickboxer, Street Fighter, and Demolition Man. Decisions, decisions...
Ranked:

Demolition Man
Kickboxer
Rambo 3
Cliffhanger

Cobra

Street Fighter

It's been decades but I remember Rambo as being a massive shift in character and tone from First Blood. Stallone had experience with this sort of character progression from the Rocky series and knew that audiences wouldn't care.
Oh, you remember correctly. Massive might be underselling it. We go from Rambo trying to not kill anybody to him capping what I believe a podcast said was 74 people. :lol: We go from him having a PTSD episode at a hint of the events of Nam to rolling into the exact village without a care or comment. I am so glad I watched it and all it's 80s glory. Not the intention, I am sure, but I had tears in my eyes from laughing. I could tell I was in for a treat when we got the glistening muscles gearing up montage, complete with loading the camera like it was a gun. To hear people say the series gets even more over the top and he kills 100+ in a movie makes me look forward to what is coming up.

Rambo 3 is when al Qaeda are the good guys.
Lol. I can't wait.

I think 3 is tonight's movie, but I also have a bunch of others too: Cobra, Cliffhanger, Kickboxer, Street Fighter, and Demolition Man. Decisions, decisions...
Ranked:

Demolition Man
Kickboxer
Rambo 3
Cliffhanger

Cobra

Street Fighter
I have no illusions that Street Fighter is going to be quite bad. Thanks for the list, I'm curious to see how I rank what I see. I think I am going to stick around in the 80s first, then move into the 90s so I think Rambo, Kick Boxer, and Cobra are next up in some order. I need to get to Commando and Missing in Action as well.

Inside Out 2 is so great, highly recommended. 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and it had this old timer busting up in laughter many times.

They really nailed the "Anxiety" emotion. It often reminded me of myself. :bag:

Inside Out 2 is so great, highly recommended. 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and it had this old timer busting up in laughter many times.

Nice, going to see it today. I’m not very much into Pixar but the first one was great- funny, sad and quite intelligent.

Nice, going to see it today. I’m not very much into Pixar but the first one was great- funny, sad and quite intelligent.
Never saw the first, my daughter was home from school and wanted to see the second. She loved the first. Made me watch it and then saw the second. Enjoyed them for what they were

We went to Inside Out 2 for Father's Day and also had a blast. No, it wasn't as good as the first, but still well worth the watch. Maybe it's the age it's hitting me too - my daughter is 9, so still more like Riley in the first movie. I also think the emotion hits harder with stuff like Bing Bong, and the laughs are a little better. Again, nitpicks and it's one of the better Pixar sequels. They do a good job with Anxiety.

Maximum Risk (1996)

It's another Jean Claude Van Damme movie where he plays two characters except one of them dies in the first ten minutes of this one. The gimmick is they were twins separated at birth so the surviving Van Damme, a French policeman, travels to New York to find out who the dead one was and why he was killed. There's a mystery for a while until he gets caught up in a confusing mess involving the Russian mob and corrupt government agents.

The movie was the first of a handful of American films directed by Hong Kong master Ringo Lam. He does a fine job with the action sequences but can't salvage the weak script. There are a couple of cool car chases with little French cars and a bunch of Van Damme fights, including a knife fight in a steam bath dressed only in a towel.

Van Damme is pretty good in this one. He underplays the character which fits with who he's supposed to be. What he does really well is sell the physicality of the action scenes. It's not one of his best movies but it's certainly watchable.

Watched Hit Man. Really good performance by Glen Powell. He's not just a pretty face.
Speaking of pretty... Adria Arjona is wow.

Not a ton of action, but interesting story and some good humor.

Maximum Risk (1996)

It's another Jean Claude Van Damme movie where he plays two characters except one of them dies in the first ten minutes of this one. The gimmick is they were twins separated at birth so the surviving Van Damme, a French policeman, travels to New York to find out who the dead one was and why he was killed. There's a mystery for a while until he gets caught up in a confusing mess involving the Russian mob and corrupt government agents.

The movie was the first of a handful of American films directed by Hong Kong master Ringo Lam. He does a fine job with the action sequences but can't salvage the weak script. There are a couple of cool car chases with little French cars and a bunch of Van Damme fights, including a knife fight in a steam bath dressed only in a towel.

Van Damme is pretty good in this one. He underplays the character which fits with who he's supposed to be. What he does really well is sell the physicality of the action scenes. It's not one of his best movies but it's certainly watchable.
Sorry if I missed it- is there a reason you are watching these 80s actions? It's not what I expect you to watch, and I've been finding it interesting that you are watching similar stuff.
I watched Kickboxer a couple nights ago and didn't like it much.

Maximum Risk (1996)

Sorry if I missed it- is there a reason you are watching these 80s actions? It's not what I expect you to watch, and I've been finding it interesting that you are watching similar stuff.
Wow, Kickboxer is probably his best movie

I blame you lol. You posted you were going down that route and it seemed like a good antidote to the righteous Indieness of Linklater.

80s-90s actioners are fun to watch, usually under 2 hours and readily available for free streaming.

Last edited:
Maximum Risk (1996)

Negative, Ghost Rider. His best movie is Bloodsport. Ok, USA!

Maximum Risk (1996)

What I was reminded about while watching is why I typically don't like sports movies. Kickboxing has a similar formula. It was ok, but it was a lot of training, and less matches than something like Bloodsport.

Bloodsport is the unanimous Van Damme best right?
Without a doubt.
The only thing I can recall off the top of my head from "Maximum Risk" was it was peak Natasha Hendridge time.
What about Timecop?
Not even the gorgeous Mia Sara could save that one. I'd put it in the top 10 of CVD movies though.
Prob just a classic I enjoyed from my teens, but probably also a very terrible movie if I watched it today.

Just not a lot of good films from this guy, although I enjoyed him in a lesser role in The Expendables

Time Cop is a fantastic movie, but not because it is actually good.
Pretty sure JCVD’s career high was the commercial with the bongo drums.

I blame you lol.
You posted you were going down that route and it seemed like a good antidote to the righteous Indieness of Linklater.

80s-90s actioners are fun to watch, usually under 2 hours and readily available for free streaming.
Lol, fair enough. Sorry or you're welcome?

Run time is a good bonus.

For what reason I don't know I decided to give Matrix resurrection a go.. I should have followed my initial thoughts No. it was free to watch on Netflix, so at least I didn't pay to watch it in the theater.

I didn't look, but I hope it bombed dollar wise so they don't make another. :thumbdown:

For what reason I don't know I decided to give Matrix resurrection a go.. I should have followed my initial thoughts No. it was free to watch on Netflix, so at least I didn't pay to watch it in the theater.

I didn't look, but I hope it bombed dollar wise so they don't make another. :thumbdown:

Bombs and hits are just a matter of Hollywood accounting

Bombs and hits are just a matter of Hollywood accounting

Please make it stop

Ok so watched a ton of movies since getting back from vacation. 92 degrees with 70% humidity isn’t very good for doing much else.

Inside Out 2
A very good sequel. Not nearly as funny or sad but I was thoroughly engrossed in the story and it does such a good job building a story around how emotions work and how we grow and develop, heal, etc. Highly recommend for families.

The last couple summers, I’ve done a “movie festival”. Two years ago it was epics. Last year it was westerns. This year it’s global. So far:

Happy Together: Hong Kong-Argentina. Beautifully sad love story. As Wong Kar Wai always does, the vignettes feel like memories or dreams. There’s such a certain quality his movies have that almost no other filmmaker is able to replicate.

The Zone of Interest: Germany-Poland. This was a brilliant movie. The banality of evil is the perfect description for this. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it. It’s maybe more terrifying than Schindlers List despite having no actual violence whatsoever.

I’m No Longer Here: Mexico-NYC. This one caught me off guard with how great it was. Holy ****, it’s on Netflix. Check it out. A teen in Monterrey is accidentally caught up in the gang violence of his neighborhood and forced to sneak into America to try to start a new life. While that sounds super depressing and it is, it doesn’t leave you feeling hopeless at all. It has a real strength to it. The main character Ulises is one I will never forget.

The Proposition Australia. Absolutely brutal western. Very good if that’s your thing. Written by Nick Cave. The score he did for it is also excellent.

Watched Sleeping Dogs last night on Prime. A retired detective with Alzheimer’s tries to go back and reinvestigate a case where someone is on death row. Recognized a handful of people. Russell Crowe played detective. Not a bad movie IMO.

Ok so watched a ton of movies since getting back from vacation. 92 degrees with 70% humidity isn’t very good for doing much else.

Inside Out 2
A very good sequel. Not nearly as funny or sad but I was thoroughly engrossed in the story and it does such a good job building a story around how emotions work and how we grow and develop, heal, etc. Highly recommend for families.

The last couple summers, I’ve done a “movie festival”. Two years ago it was epics. Last year it was westerns. This year it’s global. So far:

Happy Together: Hong Kong-Argentina. Beautifully sad love story. As Wong Kar Wai always does, the vignettes feel like memories or dreams. There’s such a certain quality his movies have that almost no other filmmaker is able to replicate.

The Zone of Interest: Germany-Poland. This was a brilliant movie. The banality of evil is the perfect description for this. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it. It’s maybe more terrifying than Schindlers List despite having no actual violence whatsoever.

I’m No Longer Here: Mexico-NYC. This one caught me off guard with how great it was. Holy ****, it’s on Netflix. Check it out. A teen in Monterrey is accidentally caught up in the gang violence of his neighborhood and forced to sneak into America to try to start a new life. While that sounds super depressing and it is, it doesn’t leave you feeling hopeless at all. It has a real strength to it. The main character Ulises is one I will never forget.

The Proposition Australia. Absolutely brutal western. Very good if that’s your thing. Written by Nick Cave. The score he did for it is also excellent.

Seen anything with Jean Claude Van Damme?

Caught ISS on Paramount +

The world event unfolding in the background throughout was unsettling, to say the least

7.5 out of 10

Inside Out 2

Seen anything with Jean Claude Van Damme?
Lol. 80s doing it wrong this month!

Its been a long couple days- I might have an adult beverage and laugh at Street Fighter tonight. Otherwise I think Cobra is next as I wait for Rambo 3 from the library.

Maybe I was a bit harsh the other day. Cyborg makes Kickboxer look like The Godfather.
Cyborg was an even worse when you find out it’s backstory. Cannon films was in preproduction on Spider-man and He-man movies that were supposed to be shot by the same director at the same time. They were nearly bankrupt and canceled both movies but had the costumes and sets. So the screenplay for Cyborg was written in 2 days and used the leftover stuff.
Also, it did well enough that they made 2 sequels.

Predestination showed up on Prime. Story about time travel. Intricate. I enjoyed it and I think it works. People that don’t are usually trying to impose their rules on time travel.

Last edited:
Brats by Andrew McCarthy - Documentary of the Brat Pack(Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, Rob Lowe, Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, etc.)on Hulu.

I think Andrew does a good job with this. It centers on a magazine article written by David Blum who coins the term 'Brat Pack', and how that article affected the actors careers and lives.

I didn’t care for his take on it treating the label as the focus, could have been much better if he spent more time on the rise and fall of the bp.

We saw Inside Out 2 this weekend - for what is was trying to be it was pretty much a perfect movie. Very tight story, very well told and a lot of laughs and sad moments. Kind of a complex story to tell as well, they really nailed it.

Sorry for a second post on Predestination - but I failed to give it enough love. Time travel movie with Ethan Hawke playing a time travel agent to eliminate acts of terror before they happen. Also stars a younger Sarah Snook who appears natural in a scene. Intricate plot - not a casual watch. Some very strong reviews. More of a thinker. hour 40 on Prime.

Maximum Risk (1996)

Negative, Ghost Rider. His best movie is Bloodsport. Ok, USA!
Don't sell Sudden Death short. I mean he even had to play goalie in a Stanley Cup finals game. It doesn't get much better than that.

Action Jackson (1988)

Carl Weathers (RIP) stars as Jericho Jackson, a hard-hitting detective from Detroit. The plot is some nonsense about Craig T. Nelson as a wealthy industrialist killing off union leaders to consolidate his power. There's not much detective work involved, Jackson knows Coach is behind the killings all along but he still goes around gathering information from a fine cast of 80s character actors.

The movie was directed by former stuntman Craig R. Baxley who later brought us Stone Cold. The stunt game is strong although they never top the stunt that happens before the opening credits. There are plenty of explosions, brutal killings and the obligatory "hero hangs on to the roof of a car" scene. The movie tries for an 80s action-comedy vibe like Beverly Hills Cop complete with a theme song by the Pointer Sisters. Weathers is pretty good; he's a better actor than Seagal or Van Damme (or at least a more personable one) and can deliver the one-liners and be charming in his scenes with Vanity and Sharon Stone. His fighting style is rather limited though, consisting mostly of taking punishment and throwing haymakers.

The movie is a nice blend of 80s action and 70s blaxploitation. It was a pretty big hit at the time but never led to a sequel or Weathers becoming a top line action star.

Last edited:
Been watching a lot of TV and movies.

Time Trap was a bit like a CW show about time travel, but despite the trappings still felt like a decent concept.

The Old Guard felt like a superhero/vampire mixup, minus biting necks. Weltschmerz Theron got a little tired, as did what seems like an attempt at making a franchise out of it. But tbh, it wasn't bad... Lots of action and some decent acting/casting thrown in. Concept was ok too.

Action Jackson (1988)

Carl Weathers (RIP) stars as Jericho Jackson, a hard-hitting detective from Detroit. The plot is some nonsense about Craig T. Nelson as a wealthy industrialist killing off union leaders to consolidate his power. There's not much detective work involved, Jackson knows Coach is behind the killings all along but he still goes around gathering information from a fine cast of 80s character actors.

The movie was directed by former stuntman Craig R. Baxley who later brought us Stone Cold. The stunt game is strong although they never top the stunt that happens before the opening credits. There are plenty of explosions, brutal killings and the obligatory "hero hangs on to the roof of a car" scene. The movie tries for an 80s action-comedy vibe like Beverly Hills Cop complete with a theme song by the Pointer Sisters. Weathers is pretty good; he's a better actor than Seagal or Van Damme (or at least a more personable one) and can deliver the one-liners and be charming in his scenes with Vanity and Sharon Stone. His fighting style is rather limited though, consisting mostly of taking punishment and throwing haymakers.

The movie is a nice blend of 80s action and 70s blaxploitation. It was a pretty big hit at the time but never led to a sequel or Weathers becoming a top line action star.
Always liked this movie and has some great one liners.
Can't tell from your list whether you liked it or not.

Can't tell from your list whether you liked it or not.

It was fun to watch because of the comedic characters, even Vanity gets some good lines in as a junkie singer. Weathers deserved a sequel and Craig T. Nelson was an inspired casting choice as the heavy.

I expected more action from a movie called Action Jackson. Maybe I'm actioned out but I didn't think the action scenes were anything special except for this flaming guy falling from a building and crashing through a different building.

Sorry for a second post on Predestination - but I failed to give it enough love. Time travel movie with Ethan Hawke playing a time travel agent to eliminate acts of terror before they happen. Also stars a younger Sarah Snook who appears natural in a scene. Intricate plot - not a casual watch. Some very strong reviews. More of a thinker. hour 40 on Prime.

I've always referred to this movie as "Primer Lite"

Users who are viewing this thread