What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskin/Bronco Trade (1 Viewer)

fatness

Footballguy
Link
Redskins Complete Trade, Add 1st RounderBy Gary FitzgeraldRedskins.comApril 19, 2005The Redskins have completed a trade with the Denver Broncos that brings them the 25th overall pick in this weekend's NFL draft. The trade gives the team two picks in the first round (No. 9 and No. 25) on Saturday.In return for Denver's 25th pick, the Redskins have given the Broncos' this year's third-round pick (76th overall) and the Redskins first- and fourth-round selections in the 2006 draft.The Redskins' list of selections for the April 23-24 draft now consists of the 9th and 25th pick in the first round; a fourth-round pick (112 overall); a sixth-round pick (183 overall); and a seventh round pick (222 overall).
This was reported a short while ago, without any verification, on a Redskin message board .

Last edited by a moderator:
Just confirmed on Sportscenter.WTF are the Skins thinking?Let me get this straight:Skins get : 2005 #1Broncos get : 2006 #1, #4; 2005 #3 :lmao: at the Skins.

Who could they be looking for at #25 worth that much? My first thought was Charlie Frye, but it's after the Packers pick. Frankly I don't get it.

From this thread

1. In the last year and previous years where Gibbs had a voice in personnel decision (under Casserly), Gibbs tends to want a player and then go out and get him. He does not hesitate to give up picks. For instance, in Gibbs I, the Redskins traded I think a 1st and 2nd for an aging Gerald Riggs. A move under Bobby Bethard that does not look like a Bethard type of move at all. I think in the same draft, they traded Mike Oliphant of Earnest Byner, a much more typical Bethard move.

Given the excellent DE depth in this year's class, the Skins probably assume a top-shelf DE will be available with their newfound #25. This will give them the freedom to focus on CB or WR with their #9.

Coach Joe wants to win NOW. Screw 2006 (obviously).
If they trade up, I would have to think they're going to take either Mike Williams or their top rated CB...They don't need a RB with Clinton Portis there....

John Clayton's comments regarding the trade on Sporstcenter:

"Redskins would like to take a CB at 9"

"Don't  be surprised to see them take QB at 25"

"Broncos have been trying to trade first round pick...like cb depth in draft"

John Clayton's comments regarding the trade on Sporstcenter:

"Redskins would like to take a CB at 9"

"Don't  be surprised to see them take QB at 25"
Did Clayton talk about any trade-up possibility or do the Redskins seem content adding 2 first round picks to their roster ?

Interesting. I hate Jason Campbell as a prospect, but some people think he's moved into the first round. Frye and McPherson are remote possibilities.

rumor has it the Skins will be trading Gardner for a 3rd rounder, so they are really just giving up next year's #1 and 4th rounder for a 1st rounder THIS year. I don't think its a bad deal at all. This will allow them to fill both needs, CB and WR, or trade up to get an elite player (i think the first is more likely)

rumor has it the Skins will be trading Gardner for a 3rd rounder, so they are really just giving up next year's #1 and 4th rounder for a 1st rounder THIS year. I don't think its a bad deal at all. This will allow them to fill both needs, CB and WR, or trade up to get an elite player (i think the first is more likely)
I'd be shocked if they got a 3rd rounder for Rod Gardner...Yes, he's talented, but he has yet to do much of anything in the NFL.I get your point though....If they were to get a 4th or 5th for him, that would replace the 4th they're trading away in next year's draft.

they traded WR with the Jets(more or less) what have they done in free agency?Moving up would leave them precious few draft picks, they don't have that many now.Gardner is only worth a 3rd round pick? That seems "off" to me. If that were the case I'd think any team would want him then. Is there a contract issue?

Interesting. Can't say I understand the move other than to agree with others that they want a particular player and they think this move will help them get that particular guy. Remember, the reason they don't have a 2nd rounder this year is because they traded it last year for the 3rd-round pick they used on Chris Cooley. I just hope they use this trade to get the right guy(s).

they traded WR with the Jets(more or less) what have they done in free agency?

Moving up would leave them precious few draft picks, they don't have that many now.

Gardner is only worth a 3rd round pick? That seems "off" to me. If that were the case I'd think any team would want him then. Is there a contract issue?
What has Gardner done to make you think he's worth more than a 3rd round? I think that's stretching it...

put Gardner in the same crowd as T.Taylor and numerous other WRs that have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd give a 3rd no problem

put Gardner in the same crowd as T.Taylor and numerous other WRs that have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd give a 3rd no problem
Fair Enough - you're admitting that you'd make a trade for Gardner based on his potential, not on his present-day production.I understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't give up anything more than a 4th rounder for him.

trust me, Gardner can play WR in the NFL. I'm a skins fan, but even i can admit, he's been at the wrong place at the wrong time. Look at the QBs he's had since coming here. Ramsey is BY FAR the best, and that isn't saying much. I do believe Ramsey can be a good QB, but he's still very green, and under Spurrier, spent more time on his back than standing up. Someone is going to be very happy with Rod this year. There must be an offer for a 3rd we just don't know about yet...

looks like the Skins overpaid in what should be a down draft year. They'll need to come out of this with 1 or 2 studs for this to be worthwhile.

trust me, Gardner can play WR in the NFL. I'm a skins fan, but even i can admit, he's been at the wrong place at the wrong time. Look at the QBs he's had since coming here. Ramsey is BY FAR the best, and that isn't saying much. I do believe Ramsey can be a good QB, but he's still very green, and under Spurrier, spent more time on his back than standing up. Someone is going to be very happy with Rod this year. There must be an offer for a 3rd we just don't know about yet...
I agree that he does have good potential - I've drafted this guy on my team the past 2 seasons hoping this would be the year so I admit I could be scarred. Yes, he has talent, but it's still unrealized at this point.

This may very will increase the possibility that the Broncos draft an RB on day one.

This may very will increase the possibility that the the Broncos draft an RB on day one.
One of those #3's have a good chance of being a RB.
As a Bell owner, I'd much rather have him compete with a 3rd-round RB as opposed to a big boy from the 1st-round. :thumbup: This news cannot hurt Bell.

what are the redskins needs...most think WR on offense, after losing coles, trying to trade gardner & moss may not be viable WR #1.on defense, their DE situation is pretty sorry... they could look at LB with pierce departing for NYG... as well as CB with smoot going to MIN... doubtful they go after safety with taylor & bowen.i think one of these picks is a WR... if this isn't prelude to another move up for williams, they might be able to sit tight & get troy williamson... some might say that is a reach, but i have seen him go as high as #7 to MIN (though they are likely moving up themselves to get edwards/williams, & have more ammo to do so. certainly it wouldn't be a surprise if williamson went to SD at 12 or CAR at 14, so 9 might not be a huge reach. clayton probably wouldn't be WR target, and he may not (probably won't) last to 25... though they might target guy like roddy white or matt jones there (too early for reggie brown & terrence murphy?).if they did get williamson early (obviously gibbs isn't enamored with current WRs), they would still be in position to get pretty good defensive player... if not rolle/pacman/rogers-type at CB, maybe justin miller or fabian washington... OR a DE like matt roth (maybe james or pollack drop, but i don't think that far)... OR a LB like odell thurman or channing crowder to bolster middle... which would put them in front of teams like IND & NE that might be looking at MLB/ILB... there aren't many in this draft, & they could go fast.if they are targeting blue-chip, impact front seven player on defense... the extra 25 could allow them to address WR later (se above)... they could be after DJ or merriman, as well as usual suspects at CB.

This may very will increase the possibility that the the Broncos draft an RB on day one.
As a Bell owner, I'd much rather have him compete with a 3rd-round RB as opposed to a big boy from the 1st-round. :thumbup: This news cannot hurt Bell.
I disagree. Bell himself was a 2nd rounder last year. With the RB depth, a 3rd round RB would likely be a high quality one (even if not one of the big 3) , and one that could very well take the job. Bell isn't guaranteed anything.And I'm a Bell owner as well.

I disagree. Bell himself was a 2nd rounder last year. With the RB depth, a 3rd round RB would likely be a high quality one (even if not one of the big 3) , and one that could very well take the job. Bell isn't guaranteed anything.And I'm a Bell owner as well.
I don't think you're out of the woods yet Bell owners. 3rd round RB's since 2001: Chris Brown, Justin Fargus, Lamar Gordon, Brian Westbrook, James Jackson, Kevan Barlow, and Travis Minor.

Given the Titan's need for WR, there has been a lot of talk this week of past WRs acquired in the draft.Both Mason and McCareins were picked in the FOURTH round. I think it's fair to say that both these guys have proved as much or more (in Mason's case WAY more) than Gardner.I think many football fans, including me, are a bit short-sighted when looking at trading players for draft picks. I remember thinking, "Who wouldn't trade a 1st rounder for Joey Galloway". Then one of the picks Dallas gives Seattle turns out to be Shaun Alexander. (19th overall, 2000) Gee, good deal for the Seahawks I'd say.With that said, the Titans have two 3rds, two 4ths and two 5ths. I would be happy to see Gardner a Titan for one of those 3rds.(Note: The Titans actually traded their late first round pick for Kevin Carter in 2001...so this woulnd't be completely foreign ground for Reese / Fisher)

9 and 25 for one of the top 5 picks???
In my opinion, no way will this happen. This draft class is deep at CB. A need of the Skins and not of the Broncos, therefore. A CB will be taken with one of there picks, guarnteed. :ph34r: The other.....???

Given the Titan's need for WR, there has been a lot of talk this week of past WRs acquired in the draft.

Both Mason and McCareins were picked in the FOURTH round. I think it's fair to say that both these guys have proved as much or more (in Mason's case WAY more) than Gardner.

I think many football fans, including me, are a bit short-sighted when looking at trading players for draft picks. I remember thinking, "Who wouldn't trade a 1st rounder for Joey Galloway". Then one of the picks Dallas gives Seattle turns out to be Shaun Alexander. (19th overall, 2000) Gee, good deal for the Seahawks I'd say.

With that said, the Titans have two 3rds, two 4ths and two 5ths. I would be happy to see Gardner a Titan for one of those 3rds.

(Note: The Titans actually traded their late first round pick for Kevin Carter in 2001...so this woulnd't be completely foreign ground for Reese / Fisher)
An early 4th for Gardner should do the trick if they want him.Colin

An early 4th for Gardner should do the trick if they want him.

Colin
Of course, when you're talking about the Titans in 2005 you're automatically talking about squeezing contracts under the CAP. (Thanks to $24M Dead Money this year)Here is what Travis Taylor got, whom I agree is rather comparable to Gardner:

Updating previous reports, the two-year deal WR Travis Taylor signed with the Minnesota Vikings has base salaries of $850,000 (2005) and $1.5 million (2006).
I'm guessing Floyd would rather try to find the next Mason / McCareins and pay the kid 3rd round money.

I believe this is ammo to move up. Gibbs wants a top tier WR - and Miami would make a move to 9 and 25 for 2nd overall and the rights to Braylon Edwards. Dolphins could still land one of the big three RB's and land a QB late in the first.

An early 4th for Gardner should do the trick if they want him.

Colin
Of course, when you're talking about the Titans in 2005 you're automatically talking about squeezing contracts under the CAP. (Thanks to $24M Dead Money this year)Here is what Travis Taylor got, whom I agree is rather comparable to Gardner:

Updating previous reports, the two-year deal WR Travis Taylor signed with the Minnesota Vikings has base salaries of $850,000 (2005) and $1.5 million (2006).
I'm guessing Floyd would rather try to find the next Mason / McCareins and pay the kid 3rd round money.
This is rebuilding year for the Titans so it doesn't make a lot of sense to give up a draft pick for a player that has been a disappointment and will still require a hefty salary. My guess is that the Titans will keep their picks and try to find gems like Mason and McCareins. If anything they will use some of those picks to move up and get players they like.

I don't think you're out of the woods yet Bell owners. 3rd round RB's since 2001: Chris Brown, Justin Fargus, Lamar Gordon, Brian Westbrook, James Jackson, Kevan Barlow, and Travis Minor.

:confused:

Of the seven RB's listed, Westbrook is the only one who could challenge Bell.

My first thought here is that the Skins will not trade from here. I think getting the 25 (I'm not saying it was a good trade for the Skins, I would give the upper hand to the Broncos long termobviously) now gives the Redskins some flexibility. CB and WR are deep in this draft. Look for Washington to get a WR and QB with these two picks. If they go WR first they could be looking at Williamson or Clayton at 9 and Marlin Jackson/Brian McFadden/ Fabian Washington at 25. I think what they have in mind as plan A is to get Pac Man at 9 and Matt Jones at 25 as a WR/TE/H-Back. I think this is why they made this trade to get both Jones'!

I think some of you are missing the value of a player in the hand rather then one in next year's draft. Gibbs is looking to win now and that's easily accomplished in the NFC.

While it may be a way to either move up or grab someone they really want at #25, this trade may also have something to do with the rumored (this week on Redskins message boards and in the Washington Post, and denied furiously by the Redskins) trade for Buchanon of the Raiders.

:confused:

Of the seven RB's listed, Westbrook is the only one who could challenge Bell.

I never claimed that the Broncos were looking to draft Bell's replacement, stop being so defensive. I was one of those pimping Bell while everyone else thought Q was god's gift to football. However, they could draft a 3rd round RB who could be good enough to assume the starting job if Bell get injured.

While it may be a way to either move up or grab someone they really want at #25, this trade may also have something to do with the rumored (this week on Redskins message boards and in the Washington Post, and denied furiously by the Redskins) trade for Buchanon of the Raiders.
I sure was wrong quickly. Buchanon was traded to Houston: Link

Users who are viewing this thread