What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Remembering Sweetness.....10 yrs later (1 Viewer)

I always give the Bears a mulligan when they under perform based on WP's history. He was what you want every player to be like, if not in skill at least in class. He makes the current players look like idiots.

GOAT he even played QB when the Bears 2 QBs went down! He was a great man and football player!

I'm a huge Packer fan so I hate the Bears however I loved watching Walter Payton play. He was truly one of the all time greats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge Viking fan so I hate the Bears however I loved watching Walter Payton play. He was truly one of the all time greats.
And I'm agreeing with a packer fan and Bears fans so that REALLY says something about him!

He was alright.
:yes: He was good, but not great
:thumbup: :fishing:

Either you are fishing, or you were born after 1980.

Dude was GREAT. He did it all, and did it all well.

I don't idolize athletes, but Payton's death was one of the rare times that I was sad about an athlete passing.
You tubeWhen they needed a blocking fullback during the pro bowl he jumped up. He liked hitting people.

He played for bad teams most of his career and was the offense. Most of all he was a joy to watch usually staying in bounds and smacking someone.

When the Bears played the Raiders I believe all 3 QBs from both teams were hurt and Walter played QB much like the wildcat.

Why did he save his best for his twice yearly meetings with Green Bay? Man he tore my heart out. Still, he did it right and I respected him.

I did think it was unsportsman like wen he descended from the clouds to block a kick in Green Bay. That was definately 12 men on the field. You can't be doing that.

The only better RB in history was Jim Brown, but he's not nearly the man Walter was. RIP #34.

Walter Payton was just an incredible player, to run as hard as he did and never was injured enough to miss a game, just unbelievable. He was a player that comes around, maybe once a generation.

During his rookie year, Payton missed the only game of his career - at a coach's insistence. It bothered him to the day he died.

"I didn't miss a game, and I hate it when people say that,'' Payton once said. "That was a coach's decision. I could have played.''

Which is exactly how Payton wanted to be remembered.

"I never skipped a down. I never took a rest,'' Payton said, when asked what his legacy should be. "I never missed a game. I came to play and that's what's important to me.

"All the glory, all the yards and all the touchdowns don't mean a thing. I came to play on every down and I never took a rest. That's how I want to be remembered.''

I was born after 1980 (1981) and although I don't really remember seeing him play, I do remember him being a lot of people's favorite football player when I was really young. And I'm from Ohio, so that should tell you a lot about his broad appeal.

I was 12 during his Hall of Fame induction. I cried then. Much like I did when Michael Jordan hung them up (both times -- I discount the Wizards stint, as he'll always be a Bull). Looking back on that Induction ceremony, you see why he was so beloved. The guy is pure class.

RIP 34

There may be 1-2 better RBs in NFL history, in terms of pure running ability, that is debatable... but I really believe he was the best football player of all time. He did everything ever asked of him and more, and he did it to the absolute highest level... running, blocking, catching, passing on and on. He excelled at every aspect of the game. An incredible player and an incredible human being.

Lott said:
Adebisi said:
Balance said:
He was alright.
:lol: He was good, but not great
:wall: :fishing: Either you are fishing, or you were born after 1980.Dude was GREAT. He did it all, and did it all well. I don't idolize athletes, but Payton's death was one of the rare times that I was sad about an athlete passing.
I was joking, guy. As was the dude I quoted, I assume.

Considering who the other candiates are in the best RB of all time discussion, the legend of Sweetness just grows larger.

Never the biggest, the fastest, the most skilled... but his dedication, professionalism, sincerity and above all, heart allowed him to become on of the all time greats. With the wife beaters (and murderers) around him, the arrogant aloofness, the sometimes quitting on your team... Payton stands out all the more.

The reality is:

Walter did not get the privilege to run behind great or elite OLs throughout his career like Emmit Smith did

Walter was not a function of a system like say Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were. EVERYONE knew Walter was gonna get the ball and they still could not stop him. The Bears had no QBs until Mcmahon and the passing games were not as advanced then. It was T formation all the time....come and stop him if you can. And no one could yet do it.

Walter did not have some stupid end zone celebration when he got there ... and he got there A LOT. Always acted with class, unlike the TOs of the world today.

Walter did not sulk and pout and cry when he did not get the ball for the TD in the Superbowl unlike how the a-holes of today do.

Walter did not dash the sideline when he had the ball, he would cut back in to hit the LB so that the next time he had the ball, the LB would be scared, unlike the ###### RBs of today (see LT2).

Walter was all class all the time on and off the field, and was not a selfish prima donna like say Brett Favre. The team was above everything else for him.

There is a reason he is mentioned in every conversation when peeps talk about the best football player ever. :loco: Oh, and he had the best and most appropriate nickname in the history of football. Sweetness.....personified him perfectly.

Adebisi must be blind or an ignorant, young punk who thinks he knows everything, like most young football fans these days.

Considering who the other candiates are in the best RB of all time discussion, the legend of Sweetness just grows larger. Never the biggest, the fastest, the most skilled... but his dedication, professionalism, sincerity and above all, heart allowed him to become on of the all time greats. With the wife beaters (and murderers) around him, the arrogant aloofness, the sometimes quitting on your team... Payton stands out all the more.
:goodposting:

Walter did not dash the sideline when he had the ball, he would cut back in to hit the LB so that the next time he had the ball, the LB would be scared, unlike the ###### RBs of today (see LT2).
I'm not sure how this makes LT a ######. Walter liked to run people over. LT uses his elusiveness to make defenders miss. They both used what worked for them. Not to mention that defenders are much bigger, stronger, and faster today, than they were in the 70s. IMO, it doesn't make LT a ######, it makes him intelligent to avoid those big hits. How many times have we seen him make that defender miss and then scamper for a 50 yard touchdown? Tell me....had he tried to put a hit on that LB/safety, what are the odds he scored that TD?Instead of making posts bashing on current players (exception: TO...bash all you want), why don't you express your love for Payton is a more constructive way. Calling people "young punks" and such just makes you sound like a bitter old man. We're sorry it's not still 1975....get over it.

I'm not sure how this makes LT a ######. Walter liked to run people over. LT uses his elusiveness to make defenders miss. They both used what worked for them. Not to mention that defenders are much bigger, stronger, and faster today, than they were in the 70s. IMO, it doesn't make LT a ######, it makes him intelligent to avoid those big hits. How many times have we seen him make that defender miss and then scamper for a 50 yard touchdown? Tell me....had he tried to put a hit on that LB/safety, what are the odds he scored that TD?Instead of making posts bashing on current players (exception: TO...bash all you want), why don't you express your love for Payton is a more constructive way. Calling people "young punks" and such just makes you sound like a bitter old man. We're sorry it's not still 1975....get over it.
What happens when a player does act like a young punk? I have no issue with LT2 (and its 2, it may not be 1985 anymore, but there still is only one LT, and LT2 has not come close to usurping that moniker) going out of bounds to preserve his body - that helps his team. I have a BIG issue with his pouting and distance from the team on the sidelines. That is rather punkish, whatever decade it is, or isn't.

The reality is:Walter did not get the privilege to run behind great or elite OLs throughout his career like Emmit Smith didWalter was not a function of a system like say Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were. EVERYONE knew Walter was gonna get the ball and they still could not stop him. The Bears had no QBs until Mcmahon and the passing games were not as advanced then. It was T formation all the time....come and stop him if you can. And no one could yet do it.Walter did not have some stupid end zone celebration when he got there ... and he got there A LOT. Always acted with class, unlike the TOs of the world today.Walter did not sulk and pout and cry when he did not get the ball for the TD in the Superbowl unlike how the a-holes of today do.Walter did not dash the sideline when he had the ball, he would cut back in to hit the LB so that the next time he had the ball, the LB would be scared, unlike the ###### RBs of today (see LT2).Walter was all class all the time on and off the field, and was not a selfish prima donna like say Brett Favre. The team was above everything else for him.There is a reason he is mentioned in every conversation when peeps talk about the best football player ever. :lmao: Oh, and he had the best and most appropriate nickname in the history of football. Sweetness.....personified him perfectly.Adebisi must be blind or an ignorant, young punk who thinks he knows everything, like most young football fans these days.
I actually agree with everything you said (except, perhaps, where you seem to not give Montana and Rice their due credit), and I think it's a travesty that Emmitt Smith broke the all-time rushing record record. I am neither blind nor ignorant - I think you may need to lighten up a bit and learn to pick up on a joke when you hear it, my friend.

The reality is:Walter did not get the privilege to run behind great or elite OLs throughout his career like Emmit Smith didWalter was not a function of a system like say Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were. EVERYONE knew Walter was gonna get the ball and they still could not stop him. The Bears had no QBs until Mcmahon and the passing games were not as advanced then. It was T formation all the time....come and stop him if you can. And no one could yet do it.Walter did not have some stupid end zone celebration when he got there ... and he got there A LOT. Always acted with class, unlike the TOs of the world today.Walter did not sulk and pout and cry when he did not get the ball for the TD in the Superbowl unlike how the a-holes of today do.Walter did not dash the sideline when he had the ball, he would cut back in to hit the LB so that the next time he had the ball, the LB would be scared, unlike the ###### RBs of today (see LT2).Walter was all class all the time on and off the field, and was not a selfish prima donna like say Brett Favre. The team was above everything else for him.There is a reason he is mentioned in every conversation when peeps talk about the best football player ever. :P Oh, and he had the best and most appropriate nickname in the history of football. Sweetness.....personified him perfectly.Adebisi must be blind or an ignorant, young punk who thinks he knows everything, like most young football fans these days.
He was most definitely better than Emmitt. That is easy because Walter did everything better than Smith. I happen to think LT is great as well. He doesn't block as well as Walter and I think Walter ran with a little more power , but he is/was more explosive and has better hands. LT's nose for the end zone is where he shows good power as well. Jim Brown must also be in the conversation. Different era, but Brown was clearly the most dominant runner (like a man running with boys)I think Bo had the ability to be the best we ever saw, but his injury ruined that.

Lott said:
Adebisi said:
Balance said:
He was alright.
:P He was good, but not great
:mellow: :fishing: Either you are fishing, or you were born after 1980.Dude was GREAT. He did it all, and did it all well. I don't idolize athletes, but Payton's death was one of the rare times that I was sad about an athlete passing.
I was joking, guy. As was the dude I quoted, I assume.
:yes:By alright I meant top 5 all time. Always fun to see people with their panties in a wad over differing opinions regarding their favorite athletes. :lmao:

Walter Payton has always been my favorite all time player even though I'm a Raiders fan. Next group is Rice, Sanders, Emmitt, and LT2 is closing the gap.

My favorite football player ever. Old post on him:

My thoughts on Payton.

He WAS the offense

QBs he played with: Bob Avellini, Bobby Douglass, Gary Huff, Virgil Carter, Vince Evans, Mike Phipps, Jim McMahon, Steve Fuller, Greg Landry, Rusty Lisch, Mike Tomczak, Doug Flutie, Jim Harbaugh. Heck, Payton himself lined up at QB a few times. Basically, Jim McMahon was the best he played with. That's not saying much.

Payton played with 1 Pro Bowl QB in 13 seasons: McMahon in 1985. (And why exactly did McMahon make the Pro Bowl? The Bears passing offense was 22nd in yards and 23rd in TDs... McMahon threw for 2392 yards and 15 TDs. :lol: )

Not only did he never play with a 1000 yard receiver, he never even played with a 900 yard receiver. In fact, only 3 times in his 13 year career did any Bears receiver top 800 yards, and only 3 other times did any Bears receiver top 700 yards. And there were no good receiving TEs, either. It should come as no surprise that no Bears WR or TE made the Pro Bowl during Payton's career.

To reinforce this, consider Chicago's pass yardage ranks during Payton's career: 23 (of 26), 28 (of 28), 21, 26, 26, 28, 28, 22, 17, 26, 22, 24, 14. They finished in the bottom quarter of the league 10 times in Payton's career.

Payton himself led the Bears in receptions 6 times, and had the second highest total on the team 5 other times.

In his last few years, his offensive lines were pretty good, but for most of his career it wasn't. Two of Payton's linemen made the Pro Bowl a total of 5 times in his 13 seasons, all in his final 3 seasons: Jim Covert (1985, 1986), and Jay Hilgenberg (1985, 1986, 1987).

Compared to Jim Brown

Brown is the only back I would consider comparing to Payton, and I admit I didn't see him play, so that may bias my opinion. That said, consider that Brown joined a dynasty.

1950-56 (pre-Brown): 63-20-1 (.759), 6 postseason appearances in 7 years, 6 championship games, 3 championships

1957-1965 (with Brown): 79-34-5 (.699), 5 postseason appearances in 9 years, 3 championship games, 1 championship

Now compare that to Payton and the Bears:

1968-1974 (pre-Payton): 31-66-1 (.320), no postseason appearances

1975-1987 (with Payton): 111-83 (.572), 6 postseason appearances, 1 championship

How about a supporting cast comparison? Payton's is addressed above. It seems very hard to support the notion that the Browns were not already a very, very good team when Brown joined them, which naturally implies that he was surrounded by a talented group of teammates. Remember, there was no free agency (or draft?) at that time, so it would be very hard for me to see how the talent level of a team that appeared in 6 championship games in the 7 years prior to Brown's rookie season had suddenly dropped to average or worse. This is supported by the number of Pro Bowlers Brown played with:

- Browns QBs made the Pro Bowl 4 times in Brown's 9 seasons: Milt Plum (1960, 1961), Frank Ryan (1964, 1965).

- Browns WRs made the Pro Bowl 5 times in Brown's 9 seasons: Ray Renfro (1957, 1960), Bobby Mitchell (1960), Paul Warfield (1964), and Gary Collins (1965).

- Brown played with the following Pro Bowl offensive linemen: Art Hunter (1959), Mike McCormack (1957, 1960, 1961, 1962), Jim Smith (1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962), John Morrow (1961, 1963), #### Schafrath (1963), Gene Hickerson (1965), John Wooten (1965). That's 7 different linemen for a total of 15 times in 9 seasons, and only one season without a Pro Bowler--1964. In 6 of his seasons, Brown had 2 or more Pro Bowlers on the line.

To be fair, there were fewer teams when Brown played, so it stands to reason he would have played with more Pro Bowlers. Still, the difference is too big to be accounted for simply by that IMO.

The fewer teams also made it easier for Brown to lead the NFL in rushing, to win awards, etc.--less competition. Brown played when there were only 12-14 teams. In Payton's first season, there were 26 teams; for the rest of his career there were 28. As one example, Brown was 1st team All NFL 8 times, Payton 7 times. It is also true that as many as 4 RBs were selected to 1st team All NFL in Brown's career. Only 3 times was he selected as 1 of only 2 RBs chosen. Meanwhile, Payton made it 4 times as 1 of 2 RBs selected, and from a much bigger RB pool. So I am more impressed with Payton's 7 times, given the number of RBs he competed with was at least twice as many as Brown.

Also, BlueOnion posted this in an older thread:

I actually like Jim Brown quite a bit, probably more so now as a person. But Jim Brown had it easy.

Not that I am saying he is not the best running back of all-time, but if I was to make an argument he was not, here is what I would start with.

1) He played in an era where all the great 'athletes' played on offense. The football players that were not athletic enough to make the offensive team but still showed a lot of heart or toughness were put on the defensive side of the ball. The thought that a defensive line could potentially have better athletes than the offensive line (in any given game) would be very, very unlikely.

2) Pursuit angles. Back in Jim Brown's era, coaches did not understand the importance of pursuit angles or containment and did not teach it to the same magnitude of today's game. Defenses were basically, "just go get the ball carrier".
I certainly can't verify whether these are valid points, but I found them interesting.Brown was obviously an all time great player. I just don't see evidence that Brown was better than Payton. Again, I admit that could be because I never saw him play with my own eyes, while I did see Payton play often.

Conclusion

Payton's accomplishments are more impressive than Jim Brown's (or any other RB's), IMO.

The reality is:Walter did not get the privilege to run behind great or elite OLs throughout his career like Emmit Smith didWalter was not a function of a system like say Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were. EVERYONE knew Walter was gonna get the ball and they still could not stop him. The Bears had no QBs until Mcmahon and the passing games were not as advanced then. It was T formation all the time....come and stop him if you can. And no one could yet do it.Walter did not have some stupid end zone celebration when he got there ... and he got there A LOT. Always acted with class, unlike the TOs of the world today.Walter did not sulk and pout and cry when he did not get the ball for the TD in the Superbowl unlike how the a-holes of today do.Walter did not dash the sideline when he had the ball, he would cut back in to hit the LB so that the next time he had the ball, the LB would be scared, unlike the ###### RBs of today (see LT2).Walter was all class all the time on and off the field, and was not a selfish prima donna like say Brett Favre. The team was above everything else for him.There is a reason he is mentioned in every conversation when peeps talk about the best football player ever. :lol: Oh, and he had the best and most appropriate nickname in the history of football. Sweetness.....personified him perfectly.Adebisi must be blind or an ignorant, young punk who thinks he knows everything, like most young football fans these days.
I actually agree with everything you said (except, perhaps, where you seem to not give Montana and Rice their due credit), and I think it's a travesty that Emmitt Smith broke the all-time rushing record record. I am neither blind nor ignorant - I think you may need to lighten up a bit and learn to pick up on a joke when you hear it, my friend.
In that case apologies are due. I did not catch the humor.....just saw your 2nd post clarifying it too. Sorry!!! :thumbup:

The reality is:

Walter did not get the privilege to run behind great or elite OLs throughout his career like Emmit Smith did

Walter was not a function of a system like say Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were. EVERYONE knew Walter was gonna get the ball and they still could not stop him. The Bears had no QBs until Mcmahon and the passing games were not as advanced then. It was T formation all the time....come and stop him if you can. And no one could yet do it.

Walter did not have some stupid end zone celebration when he got there ... and he got there A LOT. Always acted with class, unlike the TOs of the world today.

Walter did not sulk and pout and cry when he did not get the ball for the TD in the Superbowl unlike how the a-holes of today do.

Walter was all class all the time on and off the field, and was not a selfish prima donna like say Brett Favre. The team was above everything else for him.

There is a reason he is mentioned in every conversation when peeps talk about the best football player ever. :lol: Oh, and he had the best and most appropriate nickname in the history of football. Sweetness.....personified him perfectly.

Adebisi must be blind or an ignorant, young punk who thinks he knows everything, like most young football fans these days.
He was most definitely better than Emmitt. That is easy because Walter did everything better than Smith. I happen to think LT is great as well. He doesn't block as well as Walter and I think Walter ran with a little more power , but he is/was more explosive and has better hands. LT's nose for the end zone is where he shows good power as well. Jim Brown must also be in the conversation. Different era, but Brown was clearly the most dominant runner (like a man running with boys)I think Bo had the ability to be the best we ever saw, but his injury ruined that.
Gale Sayers too....

Can't believe it's been that long. Seems like just yesterday that he was crying at the press conference. :mellow:

The reality is:Walter did not get the privilege to run behind great or elite OLs throughout his career like Emmit Smith didWalter was not a function of a system like say Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were. EVERYONE knew Walter was gonna get the ball and they still could not stop him. The Bears had no QBs until Mcmahon and the passing games were not as advanced then. It was T formation all the time....come and stop him if you can. And no one could yet do it.Walter did not have some stupid end zone celebration when he got there ... and he got there A LOT. Always acted with class, unlike the TOs of the world today.Walter did not sulk and pout and cry when he did not get the ball for the TD in the Superbowl unlike how the a-holes of today do.Walter did not dash the sideline when he had the ball, he would cut back in to hit the LB so that the next time he had the ball, the LB would be scared, unlike the ###### RBs of today (see LT2).Walter was all class all the time on and off the field, and was not a selfish prima donna like say Brett Favre. The team was above everything else for him.There is a reason he is mentioned in every conversation when peeps talk about the best football player ever. :mellow: Oh, and he had the best and most appropriate nickname in the history of football. Sweetness.....personified him perfectly.Adebisi must be blind or an ignorant, young punk who thinks he knows everything, like most young football fans these days.
In that case apologies are due. I did not catch the humor.....just saw your 2nd post clarifying it too. Sorry!!! :shrug:
Not a problem. WP was one of the great ones - on the field and in person.

The reality is:

There is a reason he is mentioned in every conversation when peeps talk about the best football player ever. :mellow: Oh, and he had the best and most appropriate nickname in the history of football. Sweetness.....personified him perfectly.

Gale Sayers too....
Indeed - have you ever heard Bill Cosby's rants about how absurdly good Sayers was? Hilarious...

My all-time favorite player - my first memories of football as a child were living in Chicago and my father telling me to watch how hard #34 played. The guy had a ton of ability, and even more heart. He was the kind of player, as evidenced by a number of the replies in this thread, that was easy to respect for all football fans, regardless of the team they supported. I remember watching Super Bowl XXXIV (Rams-Titans), and at halftime they had a tribute to Walter. A number of guys at the party I was attending got a bit choked up watching it. He was such a complete football player, and his durability was amazing.

RIP Sweetness

Payton had some great years with really crappy teams.

Emmitt Smith was over-rated as a RB. Had Emmitt played for the Lions or Bears on those junk teams that Payton and Sanders played on we would be saying..Emmitt Who?

My favorite football player ever. Old post on him:

My thoughts on Payton.

He WAS the offense

QBs he played with: Bob Avellini, Bobby Douglass, Gary Huff, Virgil Carter, Vince Evans, Mike Phipps, Jim McMahon, Steve Fuller, Greg Landry, Rusty Lisch, Mike Tomczak, Doug Flutie, Jim Harbaugh. Heck, Payton himself lined up at QB a few times. Basically, Jim McMahon was the best he played with. That's not saying much.

Payton played with 1 Pro Bowl QB in 13 seasons: McMahon in 1985. (And why exactly did McMahon make the Pro Bowl? The Bears passing offense was 22nd in yards and 23rd in TDs... McMahon threw for 2392 yards and 15 TDs. ;) )

Not only did he never play with a 1000 yard receiver, he never even played with a 900 yard receiver. In fact, only 3 times in his 13 year career did any Bears receiver top 800 yards, and only 3 other times did any Bears receiver top 700 yards. And there were no good receiving TEs, either. It should come as no surprise that no Bears WR or TE made the Pro Bowl during Payton's career.

To reinforce this, consider Chicago's pass yardage ranks during Payton's career: 23 (of 26), 28 (of 28), 21, 26, 26, 28, 28, 22, 17, 26, 22, 24, 14. They finished in the bottom quarter of the league 10 times in Payton's career.

Payton himself led the Bears in receptions 6 times, and had the second highest total on the team 5 other times.

In his last few years, his offensive lines were pretty good, but for most of his career it wasn't. Two of Payton's linemen made the Pro Bowl a total of 5 times in his 13 seasons, all in his final 3 seasons: Jim Covert (1985, 1986), and Jay Hilgenberg (1985, 1986, 1987).

Compared to Jim Brown

Brown is the only back I would consider comparing to Payton, and I admit I didn't see him play, so that may bias my opinion. That said, consider that Brown joined a dynasty.

1950-56 (pre-Brown): 63-20-1 (.759), 6 postseason appearances in 7 years, 6 championship games, 3 championships

1957-1965 (with Brown): 79-34-5 (.699), 5 postseason appearances in 9 years, 3 championship games, 1 championship

Now compare that to Payton and the Bears:

1968-1974 (pre-Payton): 31-66-1 (.320), no postseason appearances

1975-1987 (with Payton): 111-83 (.572), 6 postseason appearances, 1 championship

How about a supporting cast comparison? Payton's is addressed above. It seems very hard to support the notion that the Browns were not already a very, very good team when Brown joined them, which naturally implies that he was surrounded by a talented group of teammates. Remember, there was no free agency (or draft?) at that time, so it would be very hard for me to see how the talent level of a team that appeared in 6 championship games in the 7 years prior to Brown's rookie season had suddenly dropped to average or worse. This is supported by the number of Pro Bowlers Brown played with:

- Browns QBs made the Pro Bowl 4 times in Brown's 9 seasons: Milt Plum (1960, 1961), Frank Ryan (1964, 1965).

- Browns WRs made the Pro Bowl 5 times in Brown's 9 seasons: Ray Renfro (1957, 1960), Bobby Mitchell (1960), Paul Warfield (1964), and Gary Collins (1965).

- Brown played with the following Pro Bowl offensive linemen: Art Hunter (1959), Mike McCormack (1957, 1960, 1961, 1962), Jim Smith (1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962), John Morrow (1961, 1963), #### Schafrath (1963), Gene Hickerson (1965), John Wooten (1965). That's 7 different linemen for a total of 15 times in 9 seasons, and only one season without a Pro Bowler--1964. In 6 of his seasons, Brown had 2 or more Pro Bowlers on the line.

To be fair, there were fewer teams when Brown played, so it stands to reason he would have played with more Pro Bowlers. Still, the difference is too big to be accounted for simply by that IMO.

The fewer teams also made it easier for Brown to lead the NFL in rushing, to win awards, etc.--less competition. Brown played when there were only 12-14 teams. In Payton's first season, there were 26 teams; for the rest of his career there were 28. As one example, Brown was 1st team All NFL 8 times, Payton 7 times. It is also true that as many as 4 RBs were selected to 1st team All NFL in Brown's career. Only 3 times was he selected as 1 of only 2 RBs chosen. Meanwhile, Payton made it 4 times as 1 of 2 RBs selected, and from a much bigger RB pool. So I am more impressed with Payton's 7 times, given the number of RBs he competed with was at least twice as many as Brown.

Also, BlueOnion posted this in an older thread:

I actually like Jim Brown quite a bit, probably more so now as a person. But Jim Brown had it easy.

Not that I am saying he is not the best running back of all-time, but if I was to make an argument he was not, here is what I would start with.

1) He played in an era where all the great 'athletes' played on offense. The football players that were not athletic enough to make the offensive team but still showed a lot of heart or toughness were put on the defensive side of the ball. The thought that a defensive line could potentially have better athletes than the offensive line (in any given game) would be very, very unlikely.

2) Pursuit angles. Back in Jim Brown's era, coaches did not understand the importance of pursuit angles or containment and did not teach it to the same magnitude of today's game. Defenses were basically, "just go get the ball carrier".
I certainly can't verify whether these are valid points, but I found them interesting.Brown was obviously an all time great player. I just don't see evidence that Brown was better than Payton. Again, I admit that could be because I never saw him play with my own eyes, while I did see Payton play often.

Conclusion

Payton's accomplishments are more impressive than Jim Brown's (or any other RB's), IMO.
People can say what they want about the defensive players, but why didn't other RB's do even close to what he did?This doesn't mean very much, but my dad (who was as crazy a fan as I was) never used to say any of the older players were better or in the league of the present ball players; except Jim Brown. He said Brown was so much better than anyone else he would have been great anytime.

BTW, he was a Giant fan.

RIP the best RB to ever play the game. run, catch, block, punt, pass, whatever needed to be done Sweetness could do it all. He's the reason why I wore #34. I cried like a baby when I heard he died.

Users who are viewing this thread