What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Report your experience with getting insurance via ACA (1 Viewer)

GTA Online is also having problems on its initial launch day.
Health care is a government mandate. GTA Online is not.
Open enrollment doesn't end until March of next year. Pretty sure they have a little time to get this sorted out.
The funnier part is that GTA Online probably got sorted out more quickly than this will.
Gee I would think the funny part is that the all powerful market driven private sector company is having the same issues as the allegedly incompetent public sector.
For a video game that they charged you $50 for and had a budget a small fraction of what ACA has to deal with. And they'll probably have it working in a couple of days, because unlike the federal government Rockstar actually needs to concern itself with the product it delivers and its reputation.
so you are saying Rockstar charges a price that does not incorporate its business costs into running a seemless experience for its customers?interesting.

Open enrollment doesn't end until March of next year. Pretty sure they have a little time to get this sorted out.
The funnier part is that GTA Online probably got sorted out more quickly than this will.
Gee I would think the funny part is that the all powerful market driven private sector company is having the same issues as the allegedly incompetent public sector.
For a video game that they charged you $50 for and had a budget a small fraction of what ACA has to deal with. And they'll probably have it working in a couple of days, because unlike the federal government Rockstar actually needs to concern itself with the product it delivers and its reputation.
They generated 800 million on the first day of sales of the game itself. They made a billion by the third day. Pretty sure they had the resources to make this happen.

I had hopes this would stay on track :lmao:

Almost 7 hours and still can't get into the system.

Will give it another try in a few days :coffee:

Well since the thread is your experience with getting insurance through the ACA,here's my 'experience". I don't need insurance through The ACA. I get a plan through work,affordable and covers pretty much everything we need. I feel fortunate to have it. My experience is through my daughter's situation. She's at a job that didn't offer any health plans,but because she wasn't quite 26 I was able to put her on my plan for the last year because of The ACA. She turned 26 in March,in June she got a letter from her employer stating that because of The ACA she would now be able to get a health plan through work,she had several options,choose one that looked right for her situation and was able to afford it. I have to say that my "experience" with The ACA has been very positive. I would describe myself as a moderate Republican who was very leery of The ACA when it was presented and passed into law,but I thought at least give it a chance,it's aim is to help people afford health insurance. I've seen it work firsthand with my daughter's situation and now it's going to benefit my son,he'll be able to get much more affordable insurance than he would have anywhere else. So that's my "experience".

Last edited by a moderator:
so you are saying Rockstar charges a price that does not incorporate its business costs into running a seemless experience for its customers?interesting.
They know their customers don't expect a seamless experience for $50.

Health care has been mandated by the government. Given the fact that you guys got this all put in place based on how important you view this coverage, it's hilarious that you're now comparing the delivery of the product to a $50 video game.

Health care has been mandated by the government. Given the fact that you guys got this all put in place based on how important you view this coverage, it's hilarious that you're now comparing the delivery of the product to a $50 video game.
ill take a guess that a random sampling of posts on the GTA message board would disagree. :lmao:

Well since the thread is your experience with getting insurance through the ACA,here's my 'experience". I don't need insurance through The ACA. I get a plan through work,affordable and covers pretty much everything we need. I feel fortunate to have it. My experience is through my daughter's situation. She's at a job that didn't offer any health plans,but because she wasn't quite 26 I was able to put her on my plan for the last year because of The ACA. She turned 26 in March,in June she got a letter from her employer stating that because of The ACA she would now be able to get a health plan through work,she had several options,choose one that looked right for her situation and was able to afford it. I have to say that my "experience" with The ACA has been very positive. I would describe myself as a moderate Republican who was very leery of The ACA when it was presented and passed into law,but I thought at least give it a chance,it's aim is to help people afford health insurance. I've seen it work firsthand with my daughter's situation and now it's going to benefit my son,he'll be able to get much more affordable insurance than he would have anywhere else. So that's my "experience".
Actually the thread title is report your experience so this is exactly what I was looking for. :thumbup:

I hope we hear more and more of this.

But if you are uninsured now, and you don't sign up (aren't able to sign up) till after December 15, you can not obtain a 1/1/14 effective date. If you go without coverage for any part of 2014, you will get a fine, even if only a prorated one. They've got 2.5 months before they start screwing people.
This is true but the fine that they are prorating is 95.00 or 1 percent of your income whichever is greater. Given a median income of 51000 that means 510 or less for most people prorated over 12 months that is 42.50 a month . Which is likely still cheaper than buying the insurance. Further my guess is if the system is down that long we will see a change in that plan. They aren't going to penalize people if you can't sign up.
Not true. A single three month gap of insurance coverage is allowed before fines are levied. Penalties are prorated by the number of months without coverage. That is why there is a three month open enrollment in 2014 that expires March 31st.

Havent they had a couple of years to set up these exchanges and the web portals to support them? Not saying it should be perfect, but it should at least work on day one. If Healthcare.gov were a stock it would be plummeting right now.

Actually the thread title is report your experience so this is exactly what I was looking for. :thumbup:

I hope we hear more and more of this.
Have a son that turned 26 a couple years ago and because he had a pre-existing condition he was denied coverage by every health insurance company he applied for. Fortunately he was able to purchase COBRA and when that run out he was able to get continuation coverage at a rate of $320 /month which is high for a male in his 20s but is within reason. I am not sure if the ACA will be more affordable or not in his case but he will definitely be looking into it.

My 24 year old daughter will be facing this situation (without pre-existing condition) in November 2014 so hopefully things will be a bit clearer then.

If anyone is having trouble getting onto their exchange and is interested in Anthem, you can go to changemycoverage.com

I was able to get the info on all of their available exchange plans there with more detail than my state exchange currently has.

Why do you hate America?

JK. Good story.

Health insurance <> health care

Have a son that turned 26 a couple years ago and because he had a pre-existing condition he was denied coverage by every health insurance company he applied for. Fortunately he was able to purchase COBRA and when that run out he was able to get continuation coverage at a rate of $320 /month which is high for a male in his 20s but is within reason. I am not sure if the ACA will be more affordable or not in his case but he will definitely be looking into it.
A lot of you guys have followed the details of the ACA and health care law better than I have and I'm trying to figure this out. I know that pre-existing condition denials were one of the key aspects of the ACA. Would the continuation coverage after COBRA be required by the insurance company before and after the passing of the ACA? (In other words, was the insurance company forced to cover his son or did they just choose to?)

If anyone is having trouble getting onto their exchange and is interested in Anthem, you can go to changemycoverage.com

I was able to get the info on all of their available exchange plans there with more detail than my state exchange currently has.
that site is down as well.

How many years have they had to get this right? Whoever built this thing just flat out stole taxpayer money

How many years have they had to get this right? Whoever built this thing just flat out stole taxpayer money
And to think, the government (I mean national parks) wouldn't be shut down if the senate only had approved the 1 year delay. They may have actually got the system to function properly. Hmm... no, it's still the government we are talking about. Nothing, and I mean nothing ever runs efficiently or correctly when the government is in control.

Yet, the libtards want the government to be more and more in control of everything.

I just spoke with an Anthem rep who told me that everyone in my state will be forced off existing plan. So, for anyone deciding whether to keep plan or take one of the new ones, I would suggest verifying if keeping your plan is an option before wasting time comparing it to new options trying to decide if you want to keep it.

A lot of you guys have followed the details of the ACA and health care law better than I have and I'm trying to figure this out. I know that pre-existing condition denials were one of the key aspects of the ACA. Would the continuation coverage after COBRA be required by the insurance company before and after the passing of the ACA? (In other words, was the insurance company forced to cover his son or did they just choose to?)
They were forced to. Had he let the COBRA lapse the same insurance company would not have insured him later.

Experience is horrendous. I am trying to see what the prices are liked and level of coverage compared to what I receive from my Employer. I don't think anything will compare but am curious. I can't even create an account. I get to the final page to select my security questions and there are no choices available in the 3 drop downs. Come on how long did you have to get this up and running.

I just spoke with an Anthem rep who told me that everyone in my state will be forced off existing plan. So, for anyone deciding whether to keep plan or take one of the new ones, I would suggest verifying if keeping your plan is an option before wasting time comparing it to new options trying to decide if you want to keep it.
If you like your health insurance, you can keep your health insurance. Lie.

Juxtatarot said:
Godsbrother said:
They were forced to, thanks to HIPPA. ACA won't change that part of it. Though with the ACA, he wouldn't have had to be on COBRA if he didn't want to be - he could just enroll on an ACA plan from the start.

omahawildcat25 said:
Statorama said:
And to think, the government (I mean national parks) wouldn't be shut down if the senate only had approved the 1 year delay. They may have actually got the system to function properly. Hmm... no, it's still the government we are talking about. Nothing, and I mean nothing ever runs efficiently or correctly when the government is in control.

Yet, the libtards want the government to be more and more in control of everything.
A bit of an over statement here. While there are screwups and inefficiencies the US Military is pretty well run. Given their budget and accomplishments I would say that NASA has also been impressive. FEMA also does a good job for what they do too.

uconnalum said:
Experience is horrendous. I am trying to see what the prices are liked and level of coverage compared to what I receive from my Employer. I don't think anything will compare but am curious. I can't even create an account. I get to the final page to select my security questions and there are no choices available in the 3 drop downs. Come on how long did you have to get this up and running.
Not as long as you think.

I priced my insurance out, and it would be $800 more per month than I pay now. I have a grandfathered policy and plan on holding on to it "until death do us part".

On the otherhand, another family member's price would save his family about $1,000 per year. His insurance is very high due to health claims.

I priced my insurance out, and it would be $800 more per month than I pay now. I have a grandfathered policy and plan on holding on to it "until death do us part".

On the otherhand, another family member's price would save his family about $1,000 per year. His insurance is very high due to health claims.
This is exactly what will happen with this system the way it is. D-Day has no reason to pay more, and thus wouldn't. The other family member (with previous health claims) will jump in because it saves them money - leading to a pool of insured inside these exchanges of typically older and sicker people. And you thought the annual increases on your health insurance were high before.....just wait.

What's the incentive for the young and healthy to "jump in"?

Just got off the phone and they said the site is down for a minimum of 72 hours until they get it fully updated.

Mystery Achiever said:
Thanks for the tip.

I hope you find something reasonable that fits your needs.

omahawildcat25 said:
Statorama said:

A bit of an over statement here. While there are screwups and inefficiencies the US Military is pretty well run. Given their budget and accomplishments I would say that NASA has also been impressive. FEMA also does a good job for what they do too.
Yeah, military doesn't waste any money or make inept decisions:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2011/12/19/how-to-waste-100-billion-weapons-that-didnt-work-out/

Also funny, because all I've heard after Katrina and Sandy was how horrible Fema was.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/12/AR2007041202411.html

It is a little apples-to-oranges trying to compare old vs. new costs. I have pretty much been paying only co-pays, while new plans involve more cost-sharing and paying toward deductible, albeit with lower premiums. The most expensive plan offered is still $75/month under my current one. I just finished looking up what was actually paid to my doctors and labs over the last year or two so I can try project costs.

One issue is what ends up being considered preventive vs. diagnostic, because preventive can be included. I am not sure he was accurate, but my agent seemed to think that a screening colonoscopy would be at no cost, but if there was a condition warranting it, or if a polyp was found, you would be charged. Seems like there could be a lot of grey areas around this that could significantly affect your cost.

This is exactly what will happen with this system the way it is. D-Day has no reason to pay more, and thus wouldn't. The other family member (with previous health claims) will jump in because it saves them money - leading to a pool of insured inside these exchanges of typically older and sicker people. And you thought the annual increases on your health insurance were high before.....just wait.

I've seen a number of poles saying young people plan to buy in in pretty good numbers. The incentive for young people to jump in is the same for everyone else. Health insurance is critical in ensuring physical and financial health. You don't have iunsurance you're a burst appendix away from bankruptcy.

I've seen a number of poles saying young people plan to buy in in pretty good numbers. The incentive for young people to jump in is the same for everyone else. Health insurance is critical in ensuring physical and financial health. You don't have iunsurance you're a burst appendix away from bankruptcy.
If the young aren't insured now, when on average is much less for them - why would they do so for an ACA plan? Their incentive to insure under and ACA plan would have to be less than it is today due to the higher (on average) cost for young people.

If the young aren't insured now, when on average is much less for them - why would they do so for an ACA plan? Their incentive to insure under and ACA plan would have to be less than it is today due to the higher (on average) cost for young people.
Isn't the fine for not getting insurance pretty low the first year and then goes up drastically after 3 years?

I can see a ton of young people waiting it out the first year or so but eventually the penalty becomes so severe they really would have no other choice but to sign up.

Isn't the fine for not getting insurance pretty low the first year and then goes up drastically after 3 years?

I can see a ton of young people waiting it out the first year or so but eventually the penalty becomes so severe they really would have no other choice but to sign up.
Yeah the first year the fine is minimal it goes up every year after that for 3 years IIRC.

matttyl said:
Mystery Achiever said:
Depends on who you are. I am keeping my insurance through the company. For the first time in a long time it didn't go up this year. So a lot of people will be able to keep what they had. Those that can't can probably need to look to the provider for reasons why. It probably means what they had didn't make the cut to stay viable under the new law.

California reporting 10,000 hits a second to their exchange site. Kentucky processed 1000 applications by 9:30. 2 million visitors to the New York state exchange site. The GOP needs to move on there is no stopping this.

Yeah the first year the fine is minimal it goes up every year after that for 3 years IIRC.
Here is what I found on the fines

The penalty is phased-in over a three year period.

In 2014, the penalty will be the greater of 1.0% of taxable income or $95 per adult and $47.50 per child (up to $285 per family).

In 2015, the penalty will be the greater of 2.0% of taxable income or $325 per adult and $162.50 per child (up to $975 per family).

In 2016, the penalty will be at the greater of 2.5% of taxable income or $695 per adult and $347.50 per child (up to $$2,085 per family).

After 2016, the penalty will be increased annually by the increase to the cost-of-living.
So yeah a drastic jump in the fine.

matttyl said:
Mystery Achiever said:
That's funny. My wife's employer was proactive and got out in front. The made employees aware of changes coming, we supplied necessary documents, changed from Aetna (which was terrible and almost $600 a month for health care alone) to Anthem BC/BS.

Had coverage since 01/01/2013 for $475, throw in dental, vision, and life insurance plans (for dependents, me and kids), and the total cost per month is about $515-525 a month (costs are bi monthly, and I'm rounding up).

If your employer is leaving you in a lurch, it's their fault for not doing due diligence. Every year the company holds a management conference and they invite spouses to meetings re: the state of the company. Due to their work over the past year they have decreased their costs for healthcare; they have a 92%+ saturation rate for healthcare coverage accepted by employees.

Furthermore, they are grouped with members of a fitness consortium that offers reduced costs for families joining fitness centers. Also, they are now offering Flexible Spending Accounts. While the accounts are "use it or lose it" by the end of the year, single parents can save before tax money that coupld pay co-pays, prescriptions, day-care during summer, etc.

So no, not a lie.

matttyl said:
Mystery Achiever said:
That's funny. My wife's employer was proactive and got out in front. The made employees aware of changes coming, we supplied necessary documents, changed from Aetna (which was terrible and almost $600 a month for health care alone) to Anthem BC/BS.

Had coverage since 01/01/2013 for $475, throw in dental, vision, and life insurance plans (for dependents, me and kids), and the total cost per month is about $515-525 a month (costs are bi monthly, and I'm rounding up).

If your employer is leaving you in a lurch, it's their fault for not doing due diligence. Every year the company holds a management conference and they invite spouses to meetings re: the state of the company. Due to their work over the past year they have decreased their costs for healthcare; they have a 92%+ saturation rate for healthcare coverage accepted by employees.

Furthermore, they are grouped with members of a fitness consortium that offers reduced costs for families joining fitness centers. Also, they are now offering Flexible Spending Accounts. While the accounts are "use it or lose it" by the end of the year, single parents can save before tax money that coupld pay co-pays, prescriptions, day-care during summer, etc.

So no, not a lie.
I'm talking about the individually insured, like myself (not on a group plan) as was the guy I was quoting. So yes, a lie.

matttyl said:
Mystery Achiever said:

So no, not a lie.
I'm talking about the individually insured, like myself (not on a group plan) as was the guy I was quoting. So yes, a lie.
No, you didn't perform your own due diligence. You knew these changes were coming and you didn't get informed. All the info was out there, but you didn't do a damn thing.

No, you didn't perform your own due diligence. You knew these changes were coming and you didn't get informed. All the info was out there, but you didn't do a damn thing.
You don't know my circumstances. You don't know what I did or didn't do, just like Mystery Achiever. Apparently no one in his state will be able to continue with their individual coverage.

What if I was on a group plan until after March of 2010, but I'm now on an individual policy that I purchased that best suited my needs because I changed jobs? I can not keep that individual coverage.

What if I'm on a grandfathered plan with my parents, but "aged off" (turned 27) since March of 2010 or will age off in the next year? I can not stay on my plan, nor have my own just like what I had - I have to buy an ACA plan if I want coverage.

Lots of people will have to give up the coverage they have and like, because of the new rules.

You don't know my circumstances. You don't know what I did or didn't do, just like Mystery Achiever. Apparently no one in his state will be able to continue with their individual coverage. What if I was on a group plan until after March of 2010, but I'm now on an individual policy that I purchased that best suited my needs because I changed jobs? I can not keep that individual coverage.

What if I'm on a grandfathered plan with my parents, but "aged off" (turned 27) since March of 2010 or will age off in the next year? I can not stay on my plan, nor have my own just like what I had - I have to buy an ACA plan if I want coverage.

Lots of people will have to give up the coverage they have and like, because of the new rules.
life isn't fair. :shrug:

You don't know my circumstances. You don't know what I did or didn't do, just like Mystery Achiever. Apparently no one in his state will be able to continue with their individual coverage.

What if I was on a group plan until after March of 2010, but I'm now on an individual policy that I purchased that best suited my needs because I changed jobs? I can not keep that individual coverage.

You wouldn't have "what if" questions IF you did due diligence. Sorry, but you knew it was coming and instead of being out front, you sat and did nothing.

Sucks to be you, but at this point, it's your own damn fault.

On June 28th, 2012, in a speech at the White House, Obama said this...

"If you're one of the more than 250 million Americans who already have health insurance, you will keep your health insurance."

This was not true, no matter how you spin it. Many plans didn't meet his "minimum standards" or EHBs, and thus couldn't be continued - therefor have to be changed. Carriers are sending out millions of letters to current policy holders of these non-compliant plans, showing them their options - none of which are "continue with you current policy".

Also, Obamacare has lead to carriers dropping out of states completely and leaving policy holders without their policy - see Aetna and Colorado specifically on that one, among others. Wouldn't matter how much "due diligence" you did if you lived in Colorado and had Aetna.

How is this good for people who already are insured. I understand Employer provided medical insurance is only a benefit and not guaranteed but it sure does help retention numbers. My employer pays 15,600 of my medical premium annually and I pay 4,000 annually. I guess you would consider my plan Above Platinum. I have $10 co-pay for all office visits/urgent care visits $25 copay for ER Visit and Free Generic RX drugs. Once I reach my 1,000 deductible I am responsible for 10% and my Insurer is responsible for 90%. I took a look on the exchange today to see prices in my area. I also do not qualify for a subsidy due to my family income is over the thresholds listed.

The gold plan in my county in Florida the monthly premium is $1,133/mo or $13596 annually for a family. If my company decides to take the 2K per employee penalty and send us to the exchanges and buy our medical care that means along with my 4,500 I already pay through my employee provided insurance I will have to fork over another $9,996 dollars per year.

This entire experience sucks If I am sent to the exchanges I don't even know what my co-pays will be and I have a higher percentage responsibility and I will have to be forking over almost $10,000 additionally per year in premiums.

Users who are viewing this thread