What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Report your experience with getting insurance via ACA (1 Viewer)

How is this good for people who already are insured. I understand Employer provided medical insurance is only a benefit and not guaranteed but it sure does help retention numbers. My employer pays 15,600 of my medical premium annually and I pay 4,000 annually. I guess you would consider my plan Above Platinum. I have $10 co-pay for all office visits/urgent care visits $25 copay for ER Visit and Free Generic RX drugs. Once I reach my 1,000 deductible I am responsible for 10% and my Insurer is responsible for 90%. I took a look on the exchange today to see prices in my area. I also do not qualify for a subsidy due to my family income is over the thresholds listed.

The gold plan in my county in Florida the monthly premium is $1,133/mo or $13596 annually for a family. If my company decides to take the 2K per employee penalty and send us to the exchanges and buy our medical care that means along with my 4,500 I already pay through my employee provided insurance I will have to fork over another $9,996 dollars per year.

This entire experience sucks If I am sent to the exchanges I don't even know what my co-pays will be and I have a higher percentage responsibility and I will have to be forking over almost $10,000 additionally per year in premiums.
If your company cuts $15600 per year in compensation, you're going to blame the government?

To put it another way, if your company takes the penalty, pays you the difference in cash, and you use it tax free to buy a great insurance policy, you will end up with healthcare coverage and more money.

How is this good for people who already are insured. I understand Employer provided medical insurance is only a benefit and not guaranteed but it sure does help retention numbers. My employer pays 15,600 of my medical premium annually and I pay 4,000 annually. I guess you would consider my plan Above Platinum. I have $10 co-pay for all office visits/urgent care visits $25 copay for ER Visit and Free Generic RX drugs. Once I reach my 1,000 deductible I am responsible for 10% and my Insurer is responsible for 90%. I took a look on the exchange today to see prices in my area. I also do not qualify for a subsidy due to my family income is over the thresholds listed.

The gold plan in my county in Florida the monthly premium is $1,133/mo or $13596 annually for a family. If my company decides to take the 2K per employee penalty and send us to the exchanges and buy our medical care that means along with my 4,500 I already pay through my employee provided insurance I will have to fork over another $9,996 dollars per year.

This entire experience sucks If I am sent to the exchanges I don't even know what my co-pays will be and I have a higher percentage responsibility and I will have to be forking over almost $10,000 additionally per year in premiums.
If your company cuts $15600 per year in compensation, you're going to blame the government?
The government set the regulations so why not?

Because if a company cuts benefits it should commensurately raise salaries.

Henry Ford why would the company give me the 13,600 dollar difference if they take the penalty. Why would a corporation do that. It would be nice but the sad reality is they would take the penalty and add the 13,600 to there profits

Should it?

Henry Ford why would the company give me the 13,600 dollar difference if they take the penalty. Why would a corporation do that. It would be nice but the sad reality is they would take the penalty and add the 13,600 to there profits
And why would a company give you paid vacations and holidays when they could decide to just give you unpaid days?

Last edited by a moderator:

Should it?
It should if the purpose is to avoid extra expenditures from the aca instead of screwing its employees.

Should it?
It should if the purpose is to avoid extra expenditures from the aca instead of screwing its employees.
I don't know the tax codes surrounding this stuff, but it seems like a solid deal for employers if they did cut bait. Salary increases are a lot easier to plan for and control than ridiculous health care benefits have been. It'll also put a nice dent into people's claims that their wages have stagnated so much in the last couple decades when in reality part of what's happened is that health care is just making up a larger portion of their compensation.

Should it?
I don't know the tax codes surrounding this stuff, but it seems like a solid deal for employers if they did cut bait. Salary increases are a lot easier to plan for and control than ridiculous health care benefits have been. It'll also put a nice dent into people's claims that their wages have stagnated so much in the last couple decades when in reality part of what's happened is that health care is just making up a larger portion of their compensation.
Exactly. Still get healthcare coverage, plus money in the bank, plus employers get more control over costs. Only negative is for employers. You can't hold health coverage over someone's head to keep him in a terrible, poorly compensated position.

Should it?
Most employers offer health insurance as a fringe benefit not salary.

Should it?
Most employers offer health insurance as a fringe benefit not salary.
Yes. That's a very impressive observation, Christo. Good job.

Should it?
Most employers offer health insurance as a french benefit not salary.
FYP

If Company A offers you $60,000 per year in salary and health insurance that costs you $0 a month, and company B offers you $70,000 in salary, but you have to pay $1,000 per month for health insurance, which one are you going to pick?

Now how about if Company A offers you $60,000 per year in salary and you still have to pay $1,000 per month in health insurance?

That's why they offered you health insurance in the first place. Now that you can get health insurance without a job, they can make that salary. If they don't, and cut your health benefits, you're getting screwed out of $15,600 per year in compensation. They are cutting your compensation package by the amount necessary to get health coverage. Could your boss walk in tomorrow and just say "You know what, uconnalum, we're going to cut your salary by $15,000 next year" and increase profits? Sure. Why don't they do that? Because everyone would stop working there. Just as you should if they cut out your health care benefits and don't raise compensation in other areas.

So....back to the "experience" part of this thread....in today, but get to the SQSA and the question drop down boxes are blank :kicksrock:

Henry Ford said:
uconnalum said:

As for the original question that ucon. asked, this likely isn't a good thing if you already have coverage through an employer, especially for you with as strong as your policy apparently is ($1k deductible and 90% coverage after). Most people will likely want to remain on their company's plan - as if it's deemed "affordable" (costs the employee less than 9.5% of income) they aren't eligible for a subsidy.

Personally, I think it's a good thing that a person's health insurance isn't tied directly to their employer. In the big scheme of things, that's probably good.

With all of that said - IF ucon.'s employer did decide to drop their plan, and pay the penalty, and then pay some/all of the money saved back to the employees (as taxable income), he'll probably be worse off than he is now. He can still get coverage (just like everyone else can), but his won't be subsidized (due to his income), and it looks like he won't be able to buy anything as nice as what he currently has. They money will likely be a wash, and he'll end up with lesser health coverage for him and his family.

Henry Ford said:
The Commish said:
So....back to the "experience" part of this thread....in today, but get to the SQSA and the question drop down boxes are blank :kicksrock:
What browser are you using? Chrome users have reported problems with this, I've heard Firefox is working though.
You name it, I've used it. IE, Firefox (JUST got done trying this one) Chrome, Safari...doesn't matter. All the online chat folks tell you is to call the number for help which is a 2 hour wait :lmao: Think I'll try it around 2am to see if that's better.

Henry Ford said:
DrJ said:
Henry Ford said:
Christo said:
Henry Ford said:
Dr Oadi said:
Henry Ford said:
uconnalum said:

Should it?
Exactly. Still get healthcare coverage, plus money in the bank, plus employers get more control over costs. Only negative is for employers. You can't hold health coverage over someone's head to keep him in a terrible, poorly compensated position.
They can't really hold health care coverage over employee's heads today to hold them in terrible, poorly compensated positions. Most of these positions aren't all that terribly compensated anyways when you consider these health care expenses. It's just when people consider their salary alone as their compensation.

But either way, I see it as a positive for the employers. There's probably plenty of wiggle room for them to turn this into something that saves them a pile of money. For instance, if they agree to pay for the employee's after subsidy premiums they can actually just dump a lot of these costs onto ACA and save a pile of money. Say they're paying 13K today on an employee making 25K that will get a pile of Obamacare subsidies, they pay a 2K penalty, a couple K of the employee's costs on ACA. Employee still has coverage, but the employer is probably 8K richer or so. And providing the "same benefits" they were yesterday. Worst case scenario for them is that they end up paying out the same amount but it's in salary rather than health care benefits which they can more easily control the cost of. And they probably don't have to go that far.

The Commish said:
I tried again to get into the system and get the same busy message and to wait.

While some plan details are still unclear, my current thinking, having run several scenarios, is that costs for my individual plan will be comparable to somewhat higher with ACA. With premiums down, but OOP and deductibles up, costs should be slightly lower in years where I get only preventive care and it does not trigger any further diagnostics (labs, xray, biopsy). If those are triggered or if I go for any illness,aches and pains,etc that generate diagnostics, costs will be higher than current plan.

The Commish said:
When it tells you to wait, do so. It'll keep refreshing and eventually put you through.

While some plan details are still unclear, my current thinking, having run several scenarios, is that costs for my individual plan will be comparable to somewhat higher with ACA. With premiums down, but OOP and deductibles up, costs should be slightly lower in years where I get only preventive care and it does not trigger any further diagnostics (labs, xray, biopsy). If those are triggered or if I go for any illness,aches and pains,etc that generate diagnostics, costs will be higher than current plan.
That appears to be where most people I've talked to who have had really good insurance are going to be.

The Commish said:
When it tells you to wait, do so. It'll keep refreshing and eventually put you through.
Yep...learned this last night. Then I ran into the questions not appearing. I brought up live chat and they essentially told me the system was really busy, bugs existed and to call the 800 number.

The Commish said:
I waited for over 6 hours yesterday and eventually it just crashed.

Today was for an hour and I had to leave so maybe I could have gotten in had I waited longer.

I got onto to BCBS today. Turns out my Gold level plan is being grandfathered. Rate is going from $604 to $744. That's a 23% increase. It had gone up from roughly $350 to $604 since Obama was elected.

That said, I haven't done my taxes for 2013. Looks like my subsidy will be be roughly half of this. What will end up working out in my favor is rental property depreciation that I have to take by law.

The Commish said:
Yep...learned this last night. Then I ran into the questions not appearing. I brought up live chat and they essentially told me the system was really busy, bugs existed and to call the 800 number.
I just went and set up an account, and it took awhile, but the questions showed up when I got to that point. Maybe the glitch is fixed?

The Commish said:
I just went and set up an account, and it took awhile, but the questions showed up when I got to that point. Maybe the glitch is fixed?
:thumbup: Thanks.....I'm gonna try again after the kids are in bed.

The Commish said:
:thumbup: Thanks.....I'm gonna try again after the kids are in bed.
It also appears to take a loooong time for the system to update and acknowledge your account. Still can't log in, despite having confirmed my email address.

I got onto to BCBS today. Turns out my Gold level plan is being grandfathered. Rate is going from $604 to $744. That's a 23% increase. It had gone up from roughly $350 to $604 since Obama was elected.

That said, I haven't done my taxes for 2013. Looks like my subsidy will be be roughly half of this. What will end up working out in my favor is rental property depreciation that I have to take by law.
So your subsidy will take the cost from $744 to about $375?

Or in other words a nearly 50% decrease.

Or a $25 per month bump up from his plan's cost five years ago. During which time, health insurance premiums have gone up, what? 80%?

Or a $25 per month bump up from his plan's cost five years ago. During which time, health insurance premiums have gone up, what? 80%?
Seems like more but that's probably pretty close for most folks.

Somewhere between $300 and $400 for what I'll pay. The American taxpayer goverment's printing presses will pick up the other $350 to $450.

I'll think I'll be keeping the gold plan. It's about another $100 a month but after I figure in the increase on the subsidy and the tax deduction, it's probably only $50-$60 a month more.

If Company A offers you $60,000 per year in salary and health insurance that costs you $0 a month, and company B offers you $70,000 in salary, but you have to pay $1,000 per month for health insurance, which one are you going to pick?

Now how about if Company A offers you $60,000 per year in salary and you still have to pay $1,000 per month in health insurance?

That's why they offered you health insurance in the first place. Now that you can get health insurance without a job, they can make that salary. If they don't, and cut your health benefits, you're getting screwed out of $15,600 per year in compensation. They are cutting your compensation package by the amount necessary to get health coverage. Could your boss walk in tomorrow and just say "You know what, uconnalum, we're going to cut your salary by $15,000 next year" and increase profits? Sure. Why don't they do that? Because everyone would stop working there. Just as you should if they cut out your health care benefits and don't raise compensation in other areas.
They can. Doesn't mean they will or have to. And, no. They aren't getting screwed out of anything if the employer doesn't.

NCCommish said:
Henry Ford said:
NCCommish said:
Henry Ford said:
BassNBrew said:

Seems like more but that's probably pretty close for most folks.
This is going to be good for SOME but BAD for a whole lot more, I bet. I can feel it.

Then your beef is with your company, and not the gov't.

BassNBrew said:
Henry Ford said:
BassNBrew said:

Somewhere between $300 and $400 for what I'll pay. The American taxpayer goverment's printing presses will pick up the other $350 to $450.

I'll think I'll be keeping the gold plan. It's about another $100 a month but after I figure in the increase on the subsidy and the tax deduction, it's probably only $50-$60 a month more.
So the ACA has effectively reduced your health insurance costs, while providing you with better coverage?

Please change your avatar to this immediately good buddy:

Maybe they'd give you the money to keep you from leaving for a better offer as soon as you could get one. I know if my compensation was cut by $13,600 per year I'd go looking for a new job.

Christo said:
If Company A offers you $60,000 per year in salary and health insurance that costs you $0 a month, and company B offers you $70,000 in salary, but you have to pay $1,000 per month for health insurance, which one are you going to pick?Now how about if Company A offers you $60,000 per year in salary and you still have to pay $1,000 per month in health insurance?

They can. Doesn't mean they will or have to. And, no. They aren't getting screwed out of anything if the employer doesn't.
Yes, they are. They're getting screwed out of five figures of their compensation package. When you take a job you take it for salary and benefits. When they cut your benefits, they are cutting your compensation. When your employer cuts your compensation by $15,000 in order to put the money in its pocket, you are getting screwed.

Christo said:
If Company A offers you $60,000 per year in salary and health insurance that costs you $0 a month, and company B offers you $70,000 in salary, but you have to pay $1,000 per month for health insurance, which one are you going to pick?Now how about if Company A offers you $60,000 per year in salary and you still have to pay $1,000 per month in health insurance?

Yes, they are. They're getting screwed out of five figures of their compensation package. When you take a job you take it for salary and benefits. When they cut your benefits, they are cutting your compensation. When your employer cuts your compensation by $15,000 in order to put the money in its pocket, you are getting screwed.
:lmao:

Christo said:

You don't consider benefits part of your compensation package? If they stopped matching your 401K, would you consider that a drop in your compensation?

Christo said:

You don't consider benefits part of your compensation package? If they stopped matching your 401K, would you consider that a drop in your compensation?
What does that have to do with your statement that it's the employer screwing the employee?

Christo said:

He's right....why is this even a question?? When I signed my contract for my job, I signed up for the whole package. Now I acknowledge that we have language in our contracts that things can change and they provide us with X amount of months notice before they do etc (when it comes to things other than salary) but let's not pretend benefits aren't part of compensation and that if they cut those benefits it's a cut to total compensation.

GTA Online is also having problems on its initial launch day.
Health care is a government mandate. GTA Online is not.
Open enrollment doesn't end until March of next year. Pretty sure they have a little time to get this sorted out.
But if you are uninsured now, and you don't sign up (aren't able to sign up) till after December 15, you can not obtain a 1/1/14 effective date. If you go without coverage for any part of 2014, you will get a fine, even if only a prorated one. They've got 2.5 months before they start screwing people.
Year 1=$100?

GTA Online is also having problems on its initial launch day.
Health care is a government mandate. GTA Online is not.
Open enrollment doesn't end until March of next year. Pretty sure they have a little time to get this sorted out.
But if you are uninsured now, and you don't sign up (aren't able to sign up) till after December 15, you can not obtain a 1/1/14 effective date. If you go without coverage for any part of 2014, you will get a fine, even if only a prorated one. They've got 2.5 months before they start screwing people.
Year 1=$100?
Year 1 = 1% of total income, with a minimum of $95.

Users who are viewing this thread