What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Richardson benched? Who starts for the Rams this week? (1 Viewer)

Starting Rams RB in Week5

• Pead

Votes: 39 25.0%
  • Cunningham

Votes: 81 51.9%
  • Stacy

Votes: 36 23.1%

• Total voters

Philogelos

Footballguy
From RotoWorld:

"Daryl Richardson said via Twitter that he's not starting Sunday's Week 5 game against the Jaguars.

Richardson was asked by a fan on Twitter if he's starting this week. He responded by saying, "not this week man." On the season, Richardson is averaging just 2.71 YPC and he bottomed out with a 12-carry, 16-yard, one-drop performance against the 49ers last Thursday. It looks like the Rams have decided to bench him. The two candidates to start are Isaiah Pead (who was a healthy scratch last week, possibly for discipline reasons) and undrafted rookie Benny Cunningham. They are both worth roster spots while this mess sorts itself out. Rookie Zac Stacy has been the No. 4 back all year long."

Pead was a healthy scratch last week... Why would he start? Cunningham going to get his crack at carrying the rock.

My guess is as good as anyone's, but I'll go with Cunningham. It's hard for me to envision Pead going from healthy scratch to starter, and they've already seen what he can do. Same with Stacy in the second aspect, and I just don't think he is starter material. I don't have anything to really back it up, but that's just like.....my opinion, man.

Pead and Cunningham available on my waiver wire. I can't help but feel that the consensus so far is just hoping that Cunningham is the guy. Pead isn't usually on many wires. Cunningham's on every wire.

The one positive that I read about Cunningham was that he was considered a pass pro upgrade over Richardson, and you see very average guys like Knowshon Moreno have value because of his ability to protect the QB. I don't know what Pead's issues are if he's in fact in the doghouse still. Any St Louis homers care to chime in?

Pead and Cunningham available on my waiver wire. I can't help but feel that the consensus so far is just hoping that Cunningham is the guy. Pead isn't usually on many wires. Cunningham's on every wire.

The one positive that I read about Cunningham was that he was considered a pass pro upgrade over Richardson, and you see very average guys like Knowshon Moreno have value because of his ability to protect the QB. I don't know what Pead's issues are if he's in fact in the doghouse still. Any St Louis homers care to chime in?
Quick snapshot of my understanding of the situation. Pead was a high pick, and he was spurned for Richardson as the compliment to Jackson. He openly admitted to the media he was "tired of football" and gave facts that indicate a lack of work ethic and commitment. (Link). He found himself firmly in Fisher's doghouse and was out the first couple games this year. There has been no indication that the guard is going to change to him despite Richardson's injuries and subpar performance, and when he has been given opportunity he has been very unimpressive. Most people's opinion is that the only reason he continues to be given chances is because of where they took him in the draft.

On the flip side we have Cunningham. He played at a smaller school and tore his patellar tendon his last season, which sent him from a likely 6-7th round pick from some accounts to undrafted. He has impressive measurables (threw up 225lbs 26 times) and is adequately fast. Reports are that Fisher likes him, and this is evidenced by the fact he is seeing some carries and was active over Pead last week.

I'm not so sure it's just people saying what they hope since he is more generally available. There are tea leaves to read here, and I haven't seen any signs to indicate Pead is the back that the coaching staff truly prefers.

Pead was a healthy scratch last week... Why would he start? Cunningham going to get his crack at carrying the rock.
And he went from most touches the week before to a healthy scratch so anything is possible.

Also I'd add that Richardson sending out a tweet should not be considered gospel.

My guess is as good as anyone's, but I'll go with Cunningham. It's hard for me to envision Pead going from healthy scratch to starter, and they've already seen what he can do. Same with Stacy in the second aspect, and I just don't think he is starter material. I don't have anything to really back it up, but that's just like.....my opinion, man.
I'd like to think that makes sense... but realize that the Giants just took Da'rel Scott from snap count leader and Week 4 starter, to cut and on his couch in Week 5. The NFL is crazy week to week and anything is possible.

That said, I've been stashing Cunningham on my dynasty league benches for a few weeks now after hearing a few good things from people about him from camp and watching some of his college tape.

Here's the video of him last season vs Georgia Tech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8sV6XrbMTk he had some rather impressive things going on there. However, he was really bad in pass protection when they show him.

I'd like to think that makes sense... but realize that the Giants just took Da'rel Scott from snap count leader and Week 4 starter, to cut and on his couch in Week 5. The NFL is crazy week to week and anything is possible.

That said, I've been stashing Cunningham on my dynasty league benches for a few weeks now after hearing a few good things from people about him from camp and watching some of his college tape.

Here's the video of him last season vs Georgia Tech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8sV6XrbMTk he had some rather impressive things going on there. However, he was really bad in pass protection when they show him.
which is probably why he'll be in on running downs, and maybe richards takes the passing downs.

And he went from most touches the week before to a healthy scratch so anything is possible.

Also I'd add that Richardson sending out a tweet should not be considered gospel.
I wouldn't consider it gospel either... HOWEVER, doesn't earn any points from Jeff Fisher for that.

That Georgia Tech game was ridiculous. The entire GT defense knew he was getting the ball and simply could not stop him. If he gets the carries, the Jags game could be a very nice showing for him. Then his schedule gets terribly rough. Perhaps the play is to see if you can shop him after the Jags game if he does actually post favorable numbers.

I wouldn't consider it gospel either... HOWEVER, doesn't earn any points from Jeff Fisher for that.
Nope and it's the one thing that could keep him on the bench. Not starting could've been motivation (tees it up) for him,but him tweeting about it means we may never know and rides the pine,out of principle.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher was noncommittal when asked if Daryl Richardson will start this week.
"I haven't decided yet," Fisher said. "We'll probably play most, if not all of the running backs, if they're active." The Rams currently have the 32nd ranked rushing offense and are moving to a full-blown committee. Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead, and Zac Stacy are all candidates for bigger roles. If Richardson doesn't start, it sounds like he could still be in the mix for change-of-pace duties

I'd really like to see what Cunningham has. I acquired him in all three of my dynasty leagues before the season after researching him during camp... probably a better prospect than most know, but not a blue chipper. He jumped off the screen in preseason running with/against scrubs, played ahead of Pead and Stacy last week; let's see what he has in a real game.

Stashing Cunningham, was never a D-Rich/Pead fan. Not expecting much, but any RB that gets a good amount of touches these days has value in FF.

Nope and it's the one thing that could keep him on the bench. Not starting could've been motivation (tees it up) for him,but him tweeting about it means we may never know and rides the pine,out of principle.
He's already backtracking on his not-starting comment.

I don't know if he does or not I was just trying to say we should be a little leery of taking a players tweet regarding his playing time as fact.

Daryl Richardson backtracked following Wednesday's practice and now says "there will be a competition" at running back this week.
Richardson tweeted earlier that he wasn't going to start against the Jaguars on Sunday. Coach Jeff Fisher was then noncommittal on the matter. "I haven't decided yet," Fisher said. "We'll probably play most, if not all of the running backs, if they're active." There is no longer a lead dog in the St. Louis backfield. Richardson, Isaiah Pead, Benny Cunningham, and Zac Stacy could all see action.

Last edited by a moderator:

He's already backtracking on his not-starting comment.

I don't know if he does or not I was just trying to say we should be a little leery of taking a players tweet regarding his playing time as fact.
I take EVERYTHING I read with a grain of salt that comes from twitter, lol True or not Fisher can't be happy about his twitter usage and imagine he will get a few pointers from the coach in the coming days....mostly stay the hell off twitter!

What a disaster this is. Already had Richardson and Pead in one league, and cut Pead this morning before I heard this news.

And my reaction was.... :shrug:

Does it even really matter who emerges? The run blocking looks non-existent.

Thinking about jumping ship for Woods as I need a bye week fill in and he isn't going to cut it.

I'd say Cunningham.

Was first up in Dallas game when Richardson went down. Pead only came in in the 2nd quarter (when they were down 17-0) in comeback mode.

Was active last week.

JMO if they were sold on Pead running the football, they wouldn't have sat him last week "to get Austin carries". Pead would likely already be gone if not a 2nd round pick. Not a bad back in space, but Lorenzo Booker-like in the tackles.

I rostered Cunningham. Nothing to lose and with their schedule, probably not a lot to gain.

He does seem like he has the power to get an extra yard or two.

the time to pick up might be soon...

Rotoworld:

ESPN Rams blogger Nick Wagoner believes "it seems as though it’s time" for rookie Zac Stacy to "at least lead the committee" in St. Louis' backfield.
It's not clear if Wagoner has heard this at Rams Park or is simply throwing it out there, but 12- and 14-team leaguers could make worse use of a bench spot than to stash the fifth-round pick out of Vanderbilt. Stacy was a favorite of Rotoworld college prospects guru Josh Norris before April's draft. "I think Zac’s done a really good job since he’s been here," Sam Bradford said. "He’s a very talented runner. He’s a powerful guy. He’s got great vision. He makes cuts in the hole that are quick and decisive, so I’m excited to see him out there."

The Associated Press calls Isaiah Pead and Zac Stacy the "top candidates" to start Sunday's game against the Jaguars.
The Rams were noncommittal on the starting running back situation Wednesday. "We haven't decided yet," coach Jeff Fisher said. "We'll probably play most if not all the running backs that are active. Depends on what package we're in." The lack of clarity here is going to make it tough to use any Rams back despite a dream matchup at home against the Jags Sunday. We do know that no one in the media is giving Benny Cunningham a chance to start and Daryl Richardson said via Twitter that he's not starting.

No "who cares" option?
Exactly. Let me run and get my ten foot pole.
Not sure why it wouldn't be important.

This is a team that just lost it's star RB, and tried to give the job to a back that isn't special. Now, the job sounds like it might be up for grabs.

Fisher gave Richardson 25 touches in Week 1. Fisher's history also shows that he seems to like having one RB that he gives a bunch of touches to (unlike more and more coaches these days).

If one guy emerges, he'll have value. And it's reasonable to think Fisher one wants one guy to emerge, and he seems to be holding an open audition.

Not a ton of situations these days where you can grab a guy on the wire with a chance to be a high volume guy that doesn't need an injury for that to happen.

I'm more than a little surprised by this move. Watching the last game, I don't think Richardson was to blame for the poor results. That O-line is terrible, and there were no real holes to run to or through. TO be successful with such poor blocking requires a special back- someone like McCoy. None of these guys has the talent to succeed with so little help from their blocking.

I hit null, because it really doesn't matter who gets the first carry, or the most carries. I still think Richardson is the most talented back on the roster, but it won't matter until the line creates a few holes for someone to run through.

I'm more than a little surprised by this move. Watching the last game, I don't think Richardson was to blame for the poor results. That O-line is terrible, and there were no real holes to run to or through. TO be successful with such poor blocking requires a special back- someone like McCoy. None of these guys has the talent to succeed with so little help from their blocking.

I hit null, because it really doesn't matter who gets the first carry, or the most carries. I still think Richardson is the most talented back on the roster, but it won't matter until the line creates a few holes for someone to run through.
It matters because Fisher is looking for a RB to lean on, and the guy with the ball in his hands is the one with a chance to stake a claim for that role.

It also matters because, this Sunday, that guy(s) gets to audition against the Jags.

Maybe 3-4 guys get carries this week and the situation is just as muddy next week. Or somebody throws up a huge game (good chance against the Jags) and, right or wrong, Fisher feels like he's found his guy.

I think all 4 guys are worth carrying on a roster this week on the off chance that he goes off.

Pages and threads dedicated to one of the worst starting RB spots in the league. The SP will not rest until a starter is anointed in St Louis this season. Someone send out a tweet when they have a name, thanks.

Those are the number of touches for lead RBs on the last 7 Jeff Fisher teams.

Yes, an aging S-Jax is on there, and of course Chris Johnson. But there's also Lendale White (323 touches), Travis Henry, and Chris Brown.

That's also not even taking into account '03 and prior when he ran Eddie George into the ground (7 straight seasons over 350 touches).

It will matter who takes this job, even if he isn't special and the team isn't very good.

pollardsvision said:

Yes, an aging S-Jax is on there, and of course Chris Johnson. But there's also Lendale White (323 touches), Travis Henry, and Chris Brown.

That's also not even taking into account '03 and prior when he ran Eddie George into the ground (7 straight seasons over 350 touches).

It will matter who takes this job, even if he isn't special and the team isn't very good.
I'm not buying that Fisher will run one of these guys into the ground just because he's down that in the past. Richardson is still going to be involved and take away touches in a very weak running game. Maybe Cunningham wins the starting job but even if he does I don't think he's fantasy startable.

pollardsvision said:

I'm not buying that Fisher will run one of these guys into the ground just because he's down that in the past. Richardson is still going to be involved and take away touches in a very weak running game. Maybe Cunningham wins the starting job but even if he does I don't think he's fantasy startable.
I'm not saying that'll happen (certainly not run into the ground), but I think people are seeing 4 names involved and assuming it'll end up a committee.

Just saying this is one of the coaches in the league that doesn't generally roll with a committee, so we can't assume that's what he does here.

Fisher benched his presumed back-up last week when the starter was nicked up, and only used 2 backs.

In week 3, they only used 2 backs, thought they just didn't run much.

Backup RBs took 5 of the 18 RB touches in Week 2.

Richardson got 25 of the 26 RB touches in Week 1, presumably when Fisher most felt Richardson was his guy.

I don't know what's going to happen, but given Fisher's history and this season, it seems likely he's using this week as an open audition and whichever back emerges has a decent chance to get a large majority of the touches going forward.

People see 4 backs and think committee, but it feels like he's searching for a guy to rely on.

Users who are viewing this thread