What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Bud Grant (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Bud Grant, the Hall of Fame coach who led the Minnesota Vikings to four Super Bowl appearances, has died at the age of 95, the Vikings announced Saturday.

In Grant's 28 seasons as a head coach in Canada and with the Vikings, his teams reached the playoffs 20 times, played in 10 championship games and won four titles. However, none of those titles came in the NFL, as he became the first coach to lose four Super Bowls.

Grant was the first person to be inducted into both the CFL Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He had a career regular-season record of 158-96-5 in the NFL and 102-56-2 in the CFL and went a combined 26-20-1 in the postseason between the two leagues.

"No single individual more defined the Minnesota Vikings than Bud Grant," Vikings owners Mark and Zygi Wilf and their family said in a statement. "A once-in-a lifetime man, Bud will forever be synonymous with success, toughness, the north and the Vikings."

Pro Football Hall of Fame president Jim Porter remembered Grant for his continued connection to the Hall "well into his 90s."

"There are so many adjectives appropriate to describe Coach Bud Grant: legendary, determined, successful," Porter said in a statement. "Underneath his outwardly stoic demeanor that some misunderstood as a coldness laid the warm heart of a man who truly loved his players and the sport of football."

Legendary Coach...part of so many big games in the 70's... unfortunately he never won a Super Bowl, so he often gets overlooked when talking about the great ones...on another note it is amazing he was still alive...he looked old in the 70's.

A true Football and Minnesota legend. I will never forget the playoff game at TCF stadium against the Seahawks. One of the coldest games in history and he came out for the coin toss in short sleeves. RIP to the Legend of Vikings football.
TCF Stadium?

The quarterback is the most vulnerable one on the field. He's in an awkward position a lot of times when he throws the ball. So he does have to be protected. You lose a quarterback, you're in trouble. I don't know if they can make it too safe. I think health becomes an issue.

-Bud Grant
R.I.P.

The quarterback is the most vulnerable one on the field. He's in an awkward position a lot of times when he throws the ball. So he does have to be protected. You lose a quarterback, you're in trouble. I don't know if they can make it too safe. I think health becomes an issue.

-Bud Grant
R.I.P.
Exactly. The offensive line continues to be the most underrated position in the NFL.

Legendary Coach...part of so many big games in the 70's... unfortunately he never won a Super Bowl, so he often gets overlooked when talking about the great ones...on another note it is amazing he was still alive...he looked old in the 70's.
LOL yes he did!!!😂

A true Football and Minnesota legend. I will never forget the playoff game at TCF stadium against the Seahawks. One of the coldest games in history and he came out for the coin toss in short sleeves. RIP to the Legend of Vikings football.
TCF Stadium?
U of M stadium. Vikings played there when the new stadium was being built. I guess it is called Huntington Bank Stadium now.

A legend for sure.

Not to take away from Bud but as a side note I must say two things in the past week I found out are making the Vikings come across as a first class organization to me.

Due to Bud's passing today someone posted photos of him back in 2018 sitting in his new office at the Vikings facility they had just recently built for him which they made look vintage and included the desk of Vikings founder. Really nice touch: https://www.vikings.com/news/bud-gr...e-brings-back-vivid-vikings-memories-20443183

The second thing is that made me recall that NFLPA team rating that got released last week or so where the Vikings finished first among in player satisfaction voting.

TCF Stadium?
U of M stadium. Vikings played there when the new stadium was being built. I guess it is called Huntington Bank Stadium now.
I got confused. I now realize you’re not talking about the time he coached, which is how I remember Grant at old Metropolitan stadium In Bloomington.

Skol. I somewhat recently stumbled onto Tommy Kramer's presence on Facebook. He does alot of personal appearances and merch sales type stuff and was clearly close to Bud. I bought a small Vikings helmet from him just a few months ago he had signed by Grant for my dad's birthday. Rest in peace coach.

Users who are viewing this thread