What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Wikkidpissah (1 Viewer)

Completely gutted. :(

Gee...how did you know Dale?

Ive never met him in person. I i-met Dale on the small and disfunctional (but passionate) Fanball boards, somewhere around the millennium where he presided as the same elder statesman and friend to all. It was a bit younger of a crowd, so we bonded pretty well over some of the silliness and earnestness of youth. There was a young guy trying to get into standup that he absolutely adored and mentored. We played in leagues together, always filled with maniacs and lovingly but firmly responded to by Dale. I can't remember who started posting here first, but it was great to see an old friend on the boards.

At some point, I think back in those days, he shared with me a play (or crap..tv or movie screen play) about Morningside Heights where I went to college, which of course was brilliant. I'll try to find it and add to the collective. 

5 or 10ish years ago he thought about giving the writing thing one more try, and reached out about a couple of successful connections I had, who I happily set him up with. They were interested, but explained the process Dale would have to take...one which he had already anticipated, and quickly shot down.

He always lovingly asked about my kids by name (I don't even remember sharing them), offered to have my back at every shared trial and was an eager ear if ever I needed. A type of relationship he shared with anybody who come into his orbit...including everybody here as is clear from the outpouring of love for him. 

dammit. 

rip you old bird. You will be missed something fierce.
I also met him on the early fanball board.  Still in leagues with him today.  

Last edited by a moderator:
And didn't he quit the Great Works draft after taking A/C in the first round which then raised the hackles and consternation of most of the posters who wanted Beethoven's 5th or the Sistine Chapel or anything else to go that early...8f it wasn't him, I know he was knee deep in the middle of it 

I also met him on the early fanball board.
Did you have the same user name? Were you the guy doing standup? If you were in that same forum there similar to the FFA where there were like 15 total posters, we must have know each other.

Just hung a day-glo electric flag with my mother that, for all its kitsch, might have made wikkid happy just for the act of it (I don't really like hanging it, but it makes Mom happy and she's seventy-four). Have to admit to fighting back some tears looking at it and thinking of wikkid and what he'd say about that. 

Really, Godspeed wikkid. Wherever your travels may take you. Whatever our earthly differences, I'll miss you here. But you knew that I would. You made the world a better place. God bless my partner in communitarianism. 

Did you have the same user name? Were you the guy doing standup? If you were in that same forum there similar to the FFA where there were like 15 total posters, we must have know each other.
Yes we know each other.  I wasn’t the standup guy though.  I was the guy that did last minute updates if you remember that,

I think I figured out why losing wikkid has affected me more than the other FGBs we've lost over the years...

When you read through this thread, you get a picture of a man who lived to uplift others with every fiber of his being. Not that anyone else who left before him were lesser men, just that with wikkid, you always walked away feeling loved and understood if not connected. I think the greatest tribute to him that we can make is to propagate that same altruism in our own daily lives. To me, the world as it is screams for that treatment but doesn't reward it; like wikkid was to me, we need show others how to push through that and fight that battle because it's the only battle worth fighting.

When you read through this thread, you get a picture of a man who lived to uplift others with every fiber of his being. Not that anyone else who left before him were lesser men, just that with wikkid, you always walked away feeling loved and understood if not connected. I think the greatest tribute to him that we can make is to propagate that same altruism in our own daily lives. 
Absolutely.  I’ve already been trying to propagate that with every interaction I’ve had today.  Reading all this has made me realize that my relationship with him wasn’t unique or special.  And that’s oddly comforting, as everything he gave to me he gave to others equally.

Both of them for a few years. I think think one of them passed recently.
I have a friend that is caring for her Mother who has dementia. She has said, in moments of great stress and frustration, that she won’t be able to live her own life until she becomes an orphan (i.e. when her Mom passes). One day when Wikkid was posting about caring for his Dad, I shared this with him via PM. He said he could understand the sentiment and thanked me for sharing. I am sure this is extremely tough for his Sister and Dad. 

Thanks to all who are sharing old stories and posts, I look forward to reading more of them. He seemed like such compassionate and fascinating person, it was a privilege to have him in this community. Definitely a life worth celebrating. 

You will be missed, Wikki. RIP

Man, I truly hope he had an understanding of how much he meant to so many people here.

It's rare to find someone that can influence and leave lasting impressions with others so much with minimal interactions.  I just find myself going back and reading his words. Pure wisdom.

As he said over and over, the give is the get and I plan on passing that along from here on out when I can.  A really bright light has been extinguished. Except I have a feeling that light will be carried on by quite a few even if not the same as the original.

Absolutely.  I’ve already been trying to propagate that with every interaction I’ve had today.  Reading all this has made me realize that my relationship with him wasn’t unique or special.  And that’s oddly comforting, as everything he gave to me he gave to others equally.
True and well said.

Link to doc: Tao Te Wikkid

It's empty for now.  I'm going to mull over formatting - organize by date, by threads, original topics, and how to highlight his best material. On second thought, maybe I'll prioritize capturing everything first, and then go back and wrestle with formatting, that way @geewill can add his material, as can anyone else who has anything they want to share.

God Bless you. 

Damn. Rip Dale.   If we all had at least half the outlook on life that you did, this world would be a drastically better place.  

Thank you for reaching out to all on this board that really needed some help in their time of need.  

Going to miss all the me maw stories. Going to miss all your music stories. 

Hope you are at peace with Mary by your side. 

Rest in peace wikkid.

I was 18 years young when I joined this board, a senior in high school. I swear to you all when I say a core part of my personality is to use vocabulary that is descriptive and precise because I discovered there were people out in the real world that wrote with an author's voice. Like wikkid.

Thanks for the vocabulary lessons.

Man, I truly hope he had an understanding of how much he meant to so many people here.

It's rare to find someone that can influence and leave lasting impressions with others so much with minimal interactions.  I just find myself going back and reading his words. Pure wisdom.

As he said over and over, the give is the get and I plan on passing that along from here on out when I can.  A really bright light has been extinguished. Except I have a feeling that light will be carried on by quite a few even if not the same as the original.
Long ago I noted in the "Died Today" thread that I never know and am often surprised by my reaction to a celebrity death. Some I wouldn't think would bother me much just jolt and sadden me. Others I might expect to hurt I just shrug off. 

I've never contemplated how I would react to any of you dying, but this one really rocked me. Despite 100+ degree temps, I posted once here and went for my five mile walk. Somewhere in the Mojave Desert on the side of a hill lava rocks spell out "wikkid". It's not far from another shrine that says "Mocha"; the best dog I ever owned and couldn't cremate out of the need to visit her grave on my walk. 

He was a gift. He was a gift of knowledge and entertainment, but more importantly wisdom. So I sit here in front of the first drop of alcohol I have had in many months. Cheers you wild wonderful beast. You spread selflessness and humanity like a virus. I hope we all catch it. The give is the get, indeed. 

I could only ever hope to leave behind a tiny fraction of what Wikkid clearly has in his interactions with others in this chaotic world. My thoughts and prayers for his family and all of those here and elsewhere who have lost someone truly special. 

RIP, wikkid.  My deepest condolences to those here who were close to him.  My personal interactions with wikkid were minimal, but his impact on this board immeasurable.  Storyteller, comedian, philosopher...so full of experiences to share.  

Peace.

what can I say that hasnt been said above  

he was the best of us good to all full of great stories and a man who had lived a full life

he had stories of terrific highs had been among famous people that most of us could only dream of meeting but also had been through horrendous and painful loss

he was a good human in every sense and treated everyone with the humility and grace that only a life well lived can deliver

i am a total stranger on the internet and he was kind to me as if wed know each other for decades

perhaps  there is no more fitting eulogy than that

what can I say that hasn’t been said above  

he was the best of us good to all full of great stories and a man who had lived a full life

he had stories of terrific highs had been among famous people that most of us could only dream of meeting but also had been through horrendous and painful loss

he was a good human in every sense and treated everyone with the humility and grace that only a life well lived can deliver

i am a total stranger on the internet and he was kind to me as if wed know each other for decades

perhaps  there is no more fitting eulogy than that
Well said, gb. And very good to see you back- know you've been missed. 

Wikkids superhuman reach so powerful, his loss inspired swc to write in complete sentences with paragraphs and everything!

True and well said.
Become so clear how UN-stingy he was with his time, thought, care and friendship...such an inspiring force in this universe. And he would have known the exact right word for UN-stingy.

My little DM story from the WikkidWorld:

There was a short-term running joke in the NBA thread one day.  

And as I am wont to do, I didn't get it

So I posted something like 'I don't get it'

Wikkid jumped in via DM, telling me what the joke was.

Then he told me how I could delete my post

I thanked him, he said nufced

I didn't delete it; I'm comfortable being the odd man out in jokes and such

Besides, it was in the  :tfp:  of a thread (hi @Capella)

Never had a big brother, but that day I felt that I did.

I have a friend that is caring for her Mother who has dementia. She has said, in moments of great stress and frustration, that she won’t be able to live her own life until she becomes an orphan (i.e. when her Mom passes). One day when Wikkid was posting about caring for his Dad, I shared this with him via PM. He said he could understand the sentiment and thanked me for sharing. I am sure this is extremely tough for his Sister and Dad. 
Like everbody else, I went through my PMs to find Dales. Your post made me think of this one, regarding caring for his mom.

-----------------------------------------------

if i'm lying i'm dying - i am living in VT, tending my near-90-yo mother & decided when i moved here last yr not to be connected. i get online at the town library when i bring mom into town for appts & bingo. we've been snowed in the last wk, so the notepad i keep listing things-to-do when i go online is longer than usual. among the items is "(my real name as a nickname)". howzat for a coincidence?! i saw a photo last wk that reminded of the ones you emailed me of your 1st kid several (5?) Junes ago, so a made a note to give u a holla & i see a FBG pm from you when i get into town to do so. kismet, eh?

my current project has me convinced that is the reason i was put on this earth & that's all one can ask. that and how boring/draining/irritating being a good son is are about all i have to report. give my howdys to anyone there that cares and all the best to you, mikey. til next -

Thank you, Wikkid, for being a good hearted dude who never failed to let strangers know you were there for them, for your wildly entertaining stories, for your wonderfully unique syntax and stylings, and for bringing all that here to us. None of us will ever forget you. RIP, Dale. 

And didn't he quit the Great Works draft after taking A/C in the first round which then raised the hackles and consternation of most of the posters who wanted Beethoven's 5th or the Sistine Chapel or anything else to go that early...8f it wasn't him, I know he was knee deep in the middle of it 
Pretty sure that was @AhrnCityPahnder.

wish we could find a way to do these kind of tributes before we lose people. Wikki was always a good dude, this one sincerely hurts. glad somebody bumped that other thread, will definitely be missed

So sad to hear this news......

I didn't have many direct interactions with Wikkid on the board but I read every post of his that I came across.  He wrote so beautifully, about both profound and mundane subjects.  My wife is a writer and I would often read her his passages because they were so well written.

My only direct interactions with him were usually in the music threads.  I loved how he hated "new" music---new to him was anything released after the early 90's. We both participated in the Desert Island Album Draft Redux in 2020.  After the draft was completed, each drafter's playlist was assigned to another drafter to critique a handful of the albums---I drew Wikkid as my reviewer. I knew I was in for a skewering.

He got through one of my songs and just quit reviewing the rest of the draft list. 

Here's what he said:

"I Want Wind to Blow, The Microphones - i got at least forty friends who have hours & hours of tapes of great rock riffs that likely will never be appreciated because they dont know how to organize them into songs or write lyrics to accompany them. It must peck at their livers to hear stuff like this. Perfectly lovely and original theme, no song. Just whatever popped into their wimpass heads. I want wind to blow, too, but i'd rather you didn't" 

Loved it.  I really wanted him to go on and review the rest of them  :)  

R.I.P.  

I've had more direct interaction with him than anyone else on this board including a time when he helped me through some depression with some exercises and advice through DM's.

Sad news.  He took the time to write me a lengthy, unprompted PM about dealing with anxiety one afternoon that I felt was quite nice of him to do.

"happiness is simple, cheri. not always easy, but simple, it has existed as an entity since larger mammals gave themselves catbaths in the shade after a filling kill. there's only one thing you have to do to make joy always possible - keep enough of a path clear thru life's turbulence for it to land. the simplest way to do that is to reach out every time you wanna hunker down. find & mollify/satisfy someone else's trouble is the best way to stay clear of one's own. our forum gives me plenty folk to encourage, excite to their possibilities thru words. i am as thrilled by it as me Da is by new snow. "

I've never felt like a part of this community.  I just don't relate to posters here very much.  But I'm definitely mourning with you guys today. 

I know his general philosophy was a general "service to others" kind of thing.  But I'd love to hear more of his tenets from people he "mentored", or w/e.  

Just saw this. I’m crushed.

We never interacted outside the many music threads, but I found him to be one of the most fascinating people I’ve never met IRL. The stories, the wisdom, the genuine warmth - he really was one of a kind.

RIP my friend and hope you have some peace reunited alongside your beloved Mary.

It may have been said earlier, but Wikkid was basically the Forrest Gump of FBG. Any time a historical reference came up, he seemed to have been there or else knew someone that was. When I first started reading his posts here, perhaps like many, I thought he had to be making a lot of his stories up. But in short order you just couldn’t doubt his sincerity.

I was thinking this today and how we should do better at showing appreciation for this place and our fellow posters more.  
Wikkid did that for me in the recent Beatles thread celebrating the 3 year anniversary of Kristas 1 to 204 count down.

I was so moved by how he thanked me for the effort I put into that great thread. 

Easily one of my favorite moments here. 

I just loved all the stories he's told in those Beatles threads.

When I first started reading his posts here, perhaps like many, I thought he had to be making a lot of his stories up. But in short order you just couldn’t doubt his sincerity.

You're definitely not the only one.  It took a long time before I learned they were all real.

Wikkid did that for me in the recent Beatles thread celebrating the 3 year anniversary of Kristas 1 to 204 count down.

I was so moved by how he thanked me for the effort I put into that great thread. 

Easily one of my favorite moments here. 

I just loved all the stories he's told in those Beatles threads.

In my first Beatles thread, he made a "thank you" post after I was done that he tried to get to be the most-liked post in history.  It was such a sweet gesture.

Users who are viewing this thread