What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ronnie Hillman, Denver 1/3 STARTING RB (2 Viewers)

Pots said:
wdcrob said:
Footnote: Running back C.J. Anderson landed on the inactive list, Fox explained, because the Broncos wanted an extra defensive back to counter Arizona's multiple wide receiver sets. So Tony Carter took Anderson's spot.
IMO this is very good news for Anderson.

No injury, no discipline. Just Ball as starter, Hillman as COP, and Thomas as special teamer with a need for an extra body elsewhere that week.
I disagree. Usually teams bring their best backups to the game in case of injury/ineffectiveness.
And RB is clearly the only position NFL coaches care about.... <_<

Sabertooth said:
So Juwan Thompson then. Actually I'm going to wait and see what Lammey says and do the opposite. He's an insider you know.
No need to bag on Cecil. He nailed manny this year. Was the first that was really high on him in camp iirc.

Fumbles aren't necessarily predictable imo. This job short term, considering Fox's history and personnel, could very well just come down to who doesn't fumble. If we were placing bets today considering that is anyone at all confident in Hillman? Also the short yardage question marks Hillman has? And foxs history with rookies? Anderson seems like the safer bet.

wdcrob said:
Footnote: Running back C.J. Anderson landed on the inactive list, Fox explained, because the Broncos wanted an extra defensive back to counter Arizona's multiple wide receiver sets. So Tony Carter took Anderson's spot.
IMO this is very good news for Anderson.

No injury, no discipline. Just Ball as starter, Hillman as COP, and Thomas as special teamer with a need for an extra body elsewhere that week.
Not good news, clearly insignificant and 4th in the pecking order

wdcrob said:
IMO this is very good news for Anderson.No injury, no discipline. Just Ball as starter, Hillman as COP, and Thomas as special teamer with a need for an extra body elsewhere that week.
like knowshon when he was inactive in 2012? Knowshon was practice very well around that time mcgahee got hurt and he was still inactive.....the game plans are lot more strategic than just the depth chart

wdcrob said:
IMO this is very good news for Anderson.No injury, no discipline. Just Ball as starter, Hillman as COP, and Thomas as special teamer with a need for an extra body elsewhere that week.
like knowshon when he was inactive in 2012? Knowshon was practice very well around that time mcgahee got hurt and he was still inactive.....the game plans are lot more strategic than just the depth chart
agree, there is no reason to have a guy active who plays the same role Ball does and doesn't play special teams, it isn't like Ball has been injury prone.

Hillman will have a role, but he's not going to all of a sudden become more than a COP RB. Someone else is going to have a fairly decent role while Ball is out. Will it be CJ or Juwon? I'd bet on CJ but i guess Juwon could fill the Ball role as well.

All this talk doesn't matter unless one of these RBs can block for Manning. Most important quality is that Manning stays upright and has a clean jersey at the end of the game.
This is one of the reasons I picked up Thompson. He knows how to pass protect. It's something that was taught and a priority in the spread offense at Duke under Cutcliffe, who just so happens to be a mentor to Manning.
Great point and it backups my point BUT Thompson is slowwww. He may be the best pass blocker but my eyes sees CJ as the best between the tackles runner. I guess we will see what happens. I have CJ on the roster but not starting him until we know for sure what is going to play out, but no none knows what Fox will do, not even Fox knows what he will do.

I kind of agree with the poster above who stated it might not even matter. None of these guys is likely to take the job outright and the Broncos have a murderer's row of rushing defenses coming up with Cards, at the Jets, and 49ers. I just don't really see a ton of production here. Couple that with the fact that you almost have to wait a week to see what's going to happen (unless you are desperate), and you get maybe 3-4 weeks of production on the long side. I own Anderson and Hillman in a dynasty and I'm looking to move them now. Next week the value might be even higher for one of them, but I don't see long term value at all.

i went for Oliver and Anderson, Oliver had a $71 price tag!! Hillman did not get picked up. I actually got andre Williams off FA instead of Hillman.

I've barked up the Hillman tree too many times, I know better. CJ is the guy. Hands down

I kind of agree with the poster above who stated it might not even matter. None of these guys is likely to take the job outright and the Broncos have a murderer's row of rushing defenses coming up with Cards, at the Jets, and 49ers. I just don't really see a ton of production here. Couple that with the fact that you almost have to wait a week to see what's going to happen (unless you are desperate), and you get maybe 3-4 weeks of production on the long side. I own Anderson and Hillman in a dynasty and I'm looking to move them now. Next week the value might be even higher for one of them, but I don't see long term value at all.
I agree with this. I made a claim because I am thin at running back. I should be ok after this week assuming Ball comes back when his schedule gets easier

If you had Anderson (not a Ball owner) would you drop J. Stewart to add Hillman?
I wouldn't want anything to do with the CAR backfield so sure. Keep in mind, the DEN backfield isn't that much more appealing lol.

If you had Anderson (not a Ball owner) would you drop J. Stewart to add Hillman?
definitely. I had Stewart and dropped him a couple weeks back. I just don't see the upside in that backfield and he literally can't get more than 20 carries without getting injured.

I also passed on Hillman for Anderson. I have a gut feeling that Ball is going to be out longer than they are letting on. At any rate, if I have a plug-n-play guy for a few weeks I'm fine with that.

Wanted Hillman, ended up with Anderson but realistically I don't see starting either one of them over the next three games.

Jets, Niners & Chargers just doesn't seem like a dream matchup for any Broncos RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted Hillman, ended up with Anderson but realistically I don't see starting either one of them over the next three games.

Jets, Niners & Chargers just doesn't seem like a dream matchup for any Broncos RB.
The Cardinals were also thought to be a pretty stout defense until last week when the Broncos hung nearly 600 yards on them.

My biggest concern is why CJ was inactive over Hillman

I am guessing Hillman doesn't play special teams either. So they had to choose one to be inactive - why Anderson and not Hillman?

At first glance, Ball's point totals, especially where he was drafted (1st round) looks horrible. A cursory look at the situation would make some think its a black hole for the position, but Ball had decent first two games scoring wise, about 16 and 11 point respectively in my league (PPR), a bye and his last two games appear to be stinkers too, but one of those was vs SEA and the most recent one he was knocked out of the game. I think if he had stayed healthy for the duration of the ARZ game he would have ended up with Juwan Thompson's TD (seeing as this guy has not had a carry before Ball's injury, a special teams player) and a least a share of Hillmans yards, so I think his last stinker would have been in the 12-16 range too. So really the position of DEN RB only had one stinker and that was vs SEA. I also think its telling that Juwan Thompson got the TD opp because in that situation Fox felt Dujan > Ronnie (C.J. was not available). Hillman was not chosen for the red zone carry.

The Knowshon position vacuum is ready to be filled by a competent RB. It is not as bad as the abysmal situations it's being compared to so if you think there is real opportunity for a DEN RB, a guy that will pick up some easy TDs inside the 5 yard line then who would best fill this roll? Juwan (special teams) and Ronnie (COP) are both role players. With Monte Ball on the field, C.J. Anderson does not fill either of those roles (special teams and COP) better that those two guys (which is why Fox chose to deactivate him over the other two to get that extra defensive player active), however that does not answer the question of who fills Ball's role the best. How has Fox handled a similar situation in 2012?

Place your bets. C.J. Anderson will not be inactive next week.

My biggest concern is why CJ was inactive over Hillman

I am guessing Hillman doesn't play special teams either. So they had to choose one to be inactive - why Anderson and not Hillman?
This has been covered in this post. You are correct.

I think Anderson is the guy.

At first glance, Ball's point totals, especially where he was drafted (1st round) looks horrible. A cursory look at the situation would make some think its a black hole for the position, but Ball had decent first two games scoring wise, about 16 and 11 point respectively in my league (PPR), a bye and his last two games appear to be stinkers too, but one of those was vs SEA and the most recent one he was knocked out of the game. I think if he had stayed healthy for the duration of the ARZ game he would have ended up with Juwan Thompson's TD (seeing as this guy has not had a carry before Ball's injury, a special teams player) and a least a share of Hillmans yards, so I think his last stinker would have been in the 12-16 range too. So really the position of DEN RB only had one stinker and that was vs SEA. I also think its telling that Juwan Thompson got the TD opp because in that situation Fox felt Dujan > Ronnie (C.J. was not available). Hillman was not chosen for the red zone carry.

The Knowshon position vacuum is ready to be filled by a competent RB. It is not as bad as the abysmal situations it's being compared to so if you think there is real opportunity for a DEN RB, a guy that will pick up some easy TDs inside the 5 yard line then who would best fill this roll? Juwan (special teams) and Ronnie (COP) are both role players. With Monte Ball on the field, C.J. Anderson does not fill either of those roles (special teams and COP) better that those two guys (which is why Fox chose to deactivate him over the other two to get that extra defensive player active), however that does not answer the question of who fills Ball's role the best. How has Fox handled a similar situation in 2012?

Place your bets. C.J. Anderson will not be inactive next week.
Well that is guranteed he will be active doesn't mean he will be the #1

The Cardinals were also thought to be a pretty stout defense until last week when the Broncos hung nearly 600 yards on them.
Remind me how the Denver RBs did in that game.

Remind me how Branden Oliver did against the Jets.

went with CJ anderson over hillman. if i am rolling the dice, give me the unknown. go big or go home.

Ended up getting Hillman in the 2 leagues I tried to, was surprised he got to me in both. No one picked up CJ Anderson in either league, unfortunately with Josh Gordon on the bench there's no one else for me to drop.

I feel like I remember the Broncos coaching staff being pretty high on Hillman's development this preseason, and I agree with most Montee will probably be out for a while.

Like others have said, if I can use him for a bye-week fill in once or twice and he produces I'll be thrilled.

Quite well actually but last I checked the Jets aren't playing the Chargers in San Diego this week.

The bottom line is that the Denver RBs have been a disappointment pretty much all season, I am not sure why we suddenly should expect them to change course and turn out some fantasy monsters at the position, particularly against several stout defenses. As the Franklin Mint likes to point out, past returns do not guarantee future results.

And not to make excuses for the Jets, because they got flat out beat last week (and there is no shame in losing to the Chargers) but it was 110 degrees on the field during that game, they got down early and they wilted. I am not sure it is reasonable to expect that to be a trend.

A 100 year old Willis McGahee and Knowshon Moreno looked OK in that offense and the highest scoring team in the NFL isn't typically a black hole for anyone that gets touches. Someone should have a fair bit of value.

Quite well actually but last I checked the Jets aren't playing the Chargers in San Diego this week.

The bottom line is that the Denver RBs have been a disappointment pretty much all season, I am not sure why we suddenly should expect them to change course and turn out some fantasy monsters at the position, particularly against several stout defenses. As the Franklin Mint likes to point out, past returns do not guarantee future results.

And not to make excuses for the Jets, because they got flat out beat last week (and there is no shame in losing to the Chargers) but it was 110 degrees on the field during that game, they got down early and they wilted. I am not sure it is reasonable to expect that to be a trend.
It will be an early season trend... Look at what happened to the Seahawks when it was 115* there (im talking about teams wilting in the heat, not the Jets specifically)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a bit AC, but who are people dropping Anderson for ? I'm in a mess at RB ( Tate, Bradshaw, Crowell, Hill, Spiller, Matthews ) plus have Gordon on my bench. Looking at that list, Spiller is somehow the one I'm considering because at least Anderson has the chance to become Denver's top RB for a good while. Non return yards and non PPR has rendered Spiller almost useless.

So yeah, what kind of players are people letting go for Anderson ?

This is a bit AC, but who are people dropping Anderson for ? I'm in a mess at RB ( Tate, Bradshaw, Crowell, Hill, Spiller, Matthews ) plus have Gordon on my bench. Looking at that list, Spiller is somehow the one I'm considering because at least Anderson has the chance to become Denver's top RB for a good while. Non return yards and non PPR has rendered Spiller almost useless.

I was rostering two kickers... I had Prater and was using Tucker. I dropped both for McManus and picked up CJ.

there isn't much faith in Hillman or the broncos running game.......but i think the excitement is what hillman can do in the passing game. which intrigues me

There must be a lot of people who are just avoiding this whole situation.

Both Anderson and Hillman were Free Agents in my primary league this morning, which amazed me. I made room for Anderson just in case (last season I traded Moreno for peanuts early in the season and still regret it)

I dropped the TEN DEF, and I could barely get myself to pull the trigger (TEN plays JAX this week!). I'm not sure it was a smart move, but I have BAL @ TB so I had to take a (long) shot at a RB who might start for a prolific offense.

Brandan Oliver just put up almost 200 Total yards and 2 TDs vs the Jets

Brandan Oliver just put up almost 200 Total yards and 2 TDs vs the Jets
True.

BUT the Jets were on the road all the way across the country in that SD heat whereas DEN will be @NYJ.

I'm debating dropping either CJ0K or DMC for Anderson...but my RB's are a mess with AD out & Woodhead injured

I'm debating dropping either CJ0K or DMC for Anderson...but my RB's are a mess with AD out & Woodhead injured
I'm considering dropping Chris Johnson also or Isaiah Crowell for Anderson.

I'm considering dropping Chris Johnson also or Isaiah Crowell for Anderson.
I can see dropping Chris Johnson, but Crowell?

I think Hillman gets the first shot at the job, he's got the most experience 3 years, he played well against AZ coming off of the bench

Anderson will have a role, and maybe the job if Hillman fumbles or is not effective

Thompson is a rookie and special teamer, he may see some carries, but I don't see him in the back field with Payton.

I see this as a very fluid back field with Hillman getting about 55 percent of the carries, Anderson 40, and Thompson 5

The local newspaper and beatwriters seem to think Hillman gets first chance, but we all been burned by the media in the past

Users who are viewing this thread