What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rookie Draft (/Do not's) (1 Viewer)

Dismattle

Footballguy
I realize some of us play in Leagues that are near Night and Day different, in respects to Scoring, Lineups, and difficulty level.. Not to mention the fact that we may be in Win now OR Total Rebuild mode.

In other words, If you only start one RB, or your playing in the Office pool? Your view may be different from the guy whose, spent another $500 on his high scoring Dynasty League.

For the most part, quite a bit of the "good Info" is still quite important. The sayings like "Talent trumps.." etc. can be even more relevant.

However, I was hoping that some of us might share a few personal and/or seldom mentioned Rookie Draft Do's and Dont's..

Ive pretty much always been onboard with the "Talent trumps (insert your belief) ie. Situation". However IF the backs (in this case) are pretty much equal? Have you given much thought to the Team Defense that you may be using? Now I realize that Teams loose big name players that Anchor, or just dominate ex. "Shutdown Corners"

But, some Teams tend to either stay Good or don't see much action aside from Bye weeks?

Now Im not going to bore you with Which player got me to thinking about the repercussions of potentially having matched up my Team Defense w/ the RB.. Although Im almost sure the same scenario could be reworded to involve the QB or WR's. But, I will add that I had just finished reading some comments like "Oh that draft isn't legit! Look what round so and so lasted until".

Lets say the Defense is outgunned (injuries/ whatever) meaning the Offense is more Pass-oriented (Catch-up mode). This could in effect add some sort of balance to a poor showing from your Defense, as opposed to a negative score on Defense, coupled w/ a RB who isn't even getting his number called.

p.s. I play in a high Scoring Dynasty League that rewards Team Defenses on outstanding play, and drops the Hammer on those that Don't.. In other words, when ya play a good Team? It could be your Defense that hands you the W, or adds one to your Loss column..

Also, please don't get things twisted to the point that you believe Im implicating the Rams, and Gurley (wk 16 vs. Sea :2cents: ) I was thinking more like a 2nd round pick, where the values could be less obvious.. :homer:

Don't put too much weight on a player's situation. It can be a tie-breaker, but don't take someone just because you like the situation they are in or the opportunity that they have.

Don't overthink team situation for ELITE Tier players (AJ Green, Sammy Watkins, Amari Cooper) etc. Take the studs no matter what. Prioritize WRs over RBs if you feel their talent is comparable.

Don't put too much emphasis on a clear path to a starting gig for your non-elite tiers. Greg Little vs Randall Cobb comes to mind for me. To this day I'll swear by Little's talent, but he was doomed to fail going to an incompetent Browns team. If Cobb and Little traded draft slots in 2011, Little would be going in the top 2 rounds of redrafts this year.

Anyway, that year I had Little as my #3 and Cobb as my #4 in WR rankings. Cobb had Jennings, Driver, James Jones and Jordy Nelson (pre-breakout) in front of him in 2011. Little was the clear-cut #1 in Cleveland. Not many people took Cobb over Little because even in dynasty, they were thinking short term.

Jonathan Baldwin was another guy everyone was taking over Cobb. Just b/c he was expected to slide right into the #2 slot and dominate right away while Cobb had 4 WRs ahead of him.

Moral of the story, 2011 wasn't that long ago. Dynasty teams that drafted Cobb didn't do so hot in 2011, but were rewarded in 2012 and are still sitting pretty today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be afraid to "reach" for the player you like. Nobody really knows what these rookies will do, if you feel strongly about someone take him. Of course if you can trade around and still end up with your guy, cool. But don't take the consensus player over your player.

Don't overthink team situation for ELITE Tier players (AJ Green, Sammy Watkins, Amari Cooper) etc. Take the studs no matter what. Prioritize WRs over RBs if you feel their talent is comparable.

Don't put too much emphasis on a clear path to a starting gig for your non-elite tiers. Greg Little vs Randall Cobb comes to mind for me. To this day I'll swear by Little's talent, but he was doomed to fail going to an incompetent Browns team. If Cobb and Little traded draft slots in 2011, Little would be going in the top 2 rounds of redrafts this year.

Anyway, that year I had Little as my #3 and Cobb as my #4 in WR rankings. Cobb had Jennings, Driver, James Jones and Jordy Nelson (pre-breakout) in front of him in 2011. Little was the clear-cut #1 in Cleveland. Not many people took Cobb over Little because even in dynasty, they were thinking short term.

Jonathan Baldwin was another guy everyone was taking over Cobb. Just b/c he was expected to slide right into the #2 slot and dominate right away while Cobb had 4 WRs ahead of him.

Moral of the story, 2011 wasn't that long ago. Dynasty teams that drafted Cobb didn't do so hot in 2011, but were rewarded in 2012 and are still sitting pretty today.
Dynasy teams that drafted Jon Baldwin didn't do so hot either (21 rec, 254 yrds 1TD)

Don't be afraid to "reach" for the player you like. Nobody really knows what these rookies will do, if you feel strongly about someone take him. Of course if you can trade around and still end up with your guy, cool. But don't take the consensus player over your player.
This. That player for me this year was Devante Parker. Picked him over Yeldon.

Users who are viewing this thread