What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rules You Love - Rules You Hate (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Let's hear from you guys as to what FF rules you love and what FF rules you hate?

And it can be broad. 

PLEASE - keep this on what you like. Don't turn it into a " IDP sucks and so do people who like it" thing. Let us know what you like or don't like. 

Early draft? Late Draft? 

How Free Agents are allocated?

Total Points or W-L or both?

Toilet Bowl bracket?

What kind of trophy?

Keeper?

IDP?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start. 

I love that we have a trophy both for the Head To Head winner but also a trophy for the Overall Points winner. 

Too many times I think, head to head is influenced by the pure luck of the schedule. But I do love the element of facing another owner.

For us, adding a Total Points component was the perfect fix. 

Head to head can be influenced by luck, but so things in the real game can be too.  I think that is overblown personally.

My main league does double headers so that all teams play all other teams at least once and divisional teams twice.  We used to schedule those outside the bye windows, but since that was expanded we schedule it that way.  Sometimes you'll get a double header on a bad week for injuries, but I think things balance out in the long run and make you have to plan to have replacement level players.

I hate leagues that award performance based bonuses for players

In my two oldest leagues (formed over a decade ago) a RB or WR who reaches 100 yards in a game gets a 5 point bonus.

Over the years I have lost a bunch of matchups because my opponent had a player who just crossed the 100 yard threshold and that 5 added points was the difference between winning the losing. I have also had my players stall out at 99 yards, while 1 more yard (with that added 5 points) would have given me the victory.

I typically am not one to yammer about yay/nay on various rules but there are a few things I favor and don't favor mainly because one of the things I like are the varying rule sets of different dynasty leagues I compete in..

that said, my biggest concern/dislike if you will, when it comes to TS rules are rules that leave options open for owners to move players back and forth onto the TS during the season more or less to protect them and basically using the TS list as extra roster space.. IE: activating a rookie for 3 weeks then putting him back on the TS because say the starter that he was playing behind came back from injury and the owner just wants to keep his rookie backup etc.. yes it's a fine line in some cases as some leagues do multi year TS eligibility for players.. yet IMO it really promotes the stashing of players rather than forcing an owners hand when it comes to add/drop adjustments etc.. I'm a firm believer that once the season begins eligible TS players must be put there.. then once the time comes and an owner makes the choice to activate a player from the TS that he should no longer be eligible to be put back on the TS list.. If you want to allow owners to randomly move them back and forth a league may as well simply expand roster size limits..

#RandomThoughtsOnTheMatter

In my two oldest leagues (formed over a decade ago) a RB or WR who reaches 100 yards in a game gets a 5 point bonus.

Over the years I have lost a bunch of matchups because my opponent had a player who just crossed the 100 yard threshold and that 5 added points was the difference between winning the losing. I have also had my players stall out at 99 yards, while 1 more yard (with that added 5 points) would have given me the victory.
I love leagues that have this. Granted ours is not so extreme a point value. Any 100 yard, or 300 yard for QBs in ours is an extra 3. We also have smaller completion, rush attempt, and catch bonuses. I think this stuff does a great job of distributing value across your league. Evens out and adds value for pass catching RBs, and not all QBs or PPR magnets get high yardage (think Sam Bradford or the high completion %/Captain Checkdown types), since it adds value for those players. Etc.

I hate the generally accepted, rarely questioned practice of assigning keepers to the round they were drafted. Just simply keep your "n" best players or play redraft.

squistion said:

This. I play in a league that gives a 4 point bonus to TDs over 40 yards. I obviously draft accordingly and it has served me well, but it's a nonsense rule. I feel lucky enough to get a long TD. Don't need to essentially make that TD worth 10 points. This is coupled with a small starting lineup, so basically one player can win a H2H matchup, especially a QB (6 pt PTD plus 4 pt bonus).

-------------------------------------------------------

Other rules I hate:
rolling waiver wire (waiver order resets every week to award last place team the 1st waiver)
non-decimal scoring
PPR
short benches
small starting lineups
tiered scoring (if you assign points for a reception, there's nothing more special about a TE reception or less special about a RB reception)

Very specific to my league (which just finished 26th year but I have hated it for all 26 years) -

undervalued yardage scoring.

QB - 3 pt at 250 combined, +1 each addl 25 yards; 6 pt td, -1 int

RB/WR/TE - 1 point at 60 combined, +1 at 80, +1 at 100, +1 each addl 15 yards, 6 pt td, .5 ppr

Why I hate it?  Essentially 1 td = 325 combined yards for a qb.  For rb/wr 1 td = 145 yards (admittedly by adding in .5 ppr it is more like 1 td = 6 recpts and 100 yards).

Things I love equal number of IDP vs Offensive players (1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr/te, 1 k; 2 dl, 2 lb, 2 db, 1 flex idp).

Things I wish we had - total tackles instead of unassisted tackles - why?  Too much home team scorer effect wrt to AT vs UT; also wish we would incorporate PD and FF as well as subtract points for fumbles (same as an int imho).

But..this league started as a manual calculated scoring league using the USAToday before the advent of the internet and the Commish (who is a great guy) is incredibly resistant to change...we didn't even use a website until like 2009.

I posted this in a different topic a few weeks ago but thought I'd bring it in here as well. One of my leagues is a 12 team league and the entire regular season from week 1-13 is H2H with victory points instead of just W-L. After week 13 the top 6 teams make the playoffs and #1 and 2 seeds get a bye in week 13 so teams 3-6 play with top two scores advancing to week 14. In week 14 the #1 and 2 seeds join the two week 13 winners and again top two scoring teams advance to week 16. Obviously it's H2H for the championship in week 16. You can still obviously get knocked out with a bad week but at least you don't get the bad beat being the second highest scoring team but just happened to play against the highest scoring team.

DropKick said:
I hate the generally accepted, rarely questioned practice of assigning keepers to the round they were drafted. Just simply keep your "n" best players or play redraft.
I have never understood the purpose of such a rule unless it is to penalize the teams who are a better judge of talent.

I hate the combination of scoring rules that penalizes a player that returns kicks if he fumbles but then doesn't give him points for a touchdown if he returns a kick for a score. It makes it a disadvantage for those players that routinely return kicks.

Every redraft league I play in 4 teams make the playoffs, no bye weeks, typical seed #1vs #4,  #2 vs #3.   I would not say I hate this but I'd like it a lot better if it was just total points for the 4 team two week playoffs instead of H2H.

One rule I thought I was going to hate, that I actually love is that all adds go through waivers...no free adds

this eliminates the “fastest to the computer/phone” element when news breaks, and makes it all about strategy.  

DropKick said:
Same here.  Played in a keeper league with the rule and hated it.  You shouldn't be rewarded for 5 years because you happened to pick Kamara in the 8th round.............

One rule I thought I was going to hate, that I actually love is that all adds go through waivers...no free adds

this eliminates the “fastest to the computer/phone” element when news breaks, and makes it all about strategy.  
I agree, but we have multiple waiver windows.  Two blind bids (Tuesday and Wednesday) and two FCFS windows.  The first three windows are for one player only and the last is unlimited.  This negates most of the "first to the computer" advantage, but allows later waivers for those teams that may have blown all of their player acquisition money.

the Jag Zone said:
I typically am not one to yammer about yay/nay on various rules but there are a few things I favor and don't favor mainly because one of the things I like are the varying rule sets of different dynasty leagues I compete in..

that said, my biggest concern/dislike if you will, when it comes to TS rules are rules that leave options open for owners to move players back and forth onto the TS during the season more or less to protect them and basically using the TS list as extra roster space.. IE: activating a rookie for 3 weeks then putting him back on the TS because say the starter that he was playing behind came back from injury and the owner just wants to keep his rookie backup etc.. yes it's a fine line in some cases as some leagues do multi year TS eligibility for players.. yet IMO it really promotes the stashing of players rather than forcing an owners hand when it comes to add/drop adjustments etc.. I'm a firm believer that once the season begins eligible TS players must be put there.. then once the time comes and an owner makes the choice to activate a player from the TS that he should no longer be eligible to be put back on the TS list.. If you want to allow owners to randomly move them back and forth a league may as well simply expand roster size limits..

Yep.  Our taxi squads have a rule that once a player is activated to the active roster, he may never return to the taxi squad.  Love this.

I love a later draft.  I'm not a fan of a team having their season ruined before it even starts by having a high draft pick or two tear an ACL in the pre-season.

I love Head-to-head simply for the bragging rights that accompany them.  That said, I love the idea of a "regular season" winner AND an overall championship for the playoff winner.  The past five years, the team with the best regular season record has been beaten in the playoffs.

I love a playoff that is total points over three weeks for the playoff teams.  This eliminates a single bad week ruining a great season.

I love a toilet or consolation bracket that has a reward.  For example, the winner of ours gets the first pick in the draft.

I absolutely love IDP.  I find offense-only leagues to be boring.  IDP allows for many more avenues to a championship.

I love keeper, but I would also be just as cool with redraft.  Not a fan of dynasty, but I understand the draw for those that do play it.

I don't hate H2H and I don't hate total points either, just like Joe. In H2H, sometimes you're looking at an opponent's lineup and thinking "floor," and you act accordingly, depressing your total points. Total points is a nice tiebreaker, but I like head to head. In my final letter to my league this year, I made sure to point out that the loser had earned the most points during the year, and deserved plaudits. There are purists both ways, but I like the element of H2H and total points in some way influencing the league. 

I also hate PPR, like FFNinja. .5 PPR seems like a nice compromise with those who love it. I enjoyed my strong receiving core in my .5 PPR league this year.  

Like Rove, I love FAAB and blind bidding. We used to "first-come, first-serve" it, and it was a race to the computer. This has more strategy.  

I love the IR we used this year. One spot, no return, no stashes off of the wire. You had to have rostered him previous to injury. 

I love our late draft. The game is luck-based enough. People should have full preseason knowledge going into draft. 

I hate that the consolation bracket can grab guys off of the wire in Yahoo! while teams are still in contention. Everybody should be available to those still playing.  

And that's that. 

eta* I personally, and this is probably unpopular, love redraft. 

Point per first down rushing and receiving instead of PPR! Get the RBs back in the mix and quit rewarding meaningless catches. Reward important things like first downs. 

In a new 16-team auction league.  We assign contracts to our first 8 players won during the auction (two each of 2, 3 and 4 years) and our rosters are filled with one-year players in a snake style draft.  I love the format and we also have a pretty strict limit of 3-RBs.  Players officially listed out can be placed on the taxi squad, but have to be reactivated by Tuesday evening unless they are out long term.  I ended up cutting Conner for Jamaal Williams heading into the title game.  Not a difficult decision at that point, but leading up it was a tough call keeping him.  Definitely added a lot of thought into working the roster.  We are going to expand to 4 next season.

DropKick said:
What I like about this though, is it allows some of the better players to still be available in the draft. I’ve seen some leagues where you can’t keep a guy once his keeper value gets to a certain point. With no round value, you can pretty much wipe out 30 of the top 36 players before a draft starts. 

Don’t disagree here, but there needs to be some cutoff during the week to first come. Not everyone can submit a claim on Friday, and wait til late Saturday to see what happens with it. 

Has anyone done this in a 12 team? Switched playoff/consolation break from 6/6 teams to 5/7 teams? 

We haven’t but I’m curious to see if a 5 team main playoff is better. Would give value to top 3 seeds as they’d all get a bye. Make 4/5 battle to survive. 

This would also allow the best or worst team to be rewarded with the only bye of the consolation playoffs. 

Cowboysfan8 said:
I like to think I'm a "to each their own" on most things but I HATE any way of obtaining players from waivers other than Blind Bid

Worst to first waivers is the suck
100%!!!

Either blind bidding or in my two old home leagues, it’s straight up savage first come first served. Everyone has a phone. You snooze you lose.

I don't hate H2H and I don't hate total points either, just like Joe. In H2H, sometimes you're looking at an opponent's lineup and thinking "floor," and you act accordingly, depressing your total points. Total points is a nice tiebreaker, but I like head to head. In my final letter to my league this year, I made sure to point out that the loser had earned the most points during the year, and deserved plaudits. There are purists both ways, but I like the element of H2H and total points in some way influencing the league. 

I also hate PPR, like FFNinja. .5 PPR seems like a nice compromise with those who love it. I enjoyed my strong receiving core in my .5 PPR league this year.  

Like Rove, I love FAAB and blind bidding. We used to "first-come, first-serve" it, and it was a race to the computer. This has more strategy.  

I love the IR we used this year. One spot, no return, no stashes off of the wire. You had to have rostered him previous to injury. 

I love our late draft. The game is luck-based enough. People should have full preseason knowledge going into draft. 

I hate that the consolation bracket can grab guys off of the wire in Yahoo! while teams are still in contention. Everybody should be available to those still playing.  

And that's that. 

eta* I personally, and this is probably unpopular, love redraft. 
I’m in alignment on a lot of your points dude. The game is obviously a lot of luck. My longest time league of 27 years, we still award a prize for the total points winner but I often make the argument that it’s overblown. I might be the only guy in the league that absolutely assessess my opponents lineup and then I choose high floor/low floor guys etc. it’s a ten team league and I’ve been quite successful over the years as I usually have enough talent to virtually field two teams. Sometimes that actually drives me nuts. But anyway, I agree H2H is still the most fun and I’ve seen two times in the last 5 years in my league we had an owner finish first or second in points and not get in. When examining their weekly results, there were 5 or 6 games of explosive scoring but then a lot of bottom weekly scores as well, leading to a very inconsistent team. Kinda like the baseball player that slugs 40 home runs but bats .230. Total points sometimes doesn’t tell the whole story. 

the Jag Zone said:

Never heard of bing able to put players back on TS. Strange rule.

TS was made for salary/contract leagues. Once a guy is activated you start the clock on the 4 years you own him, for example. I’ve let that argument go because some of my leagues wouldn’t listen but it’s really stupid in normal leagues. It is just extra roster space with no added strategy, just extra rules and red tape. 

I am a big fan of contract leagues but it’s been a while as the one I was in ended up being very inactive. Unfortunately I haven’t went back due to the amount of time you put in. I’m also a huge idp fan as it creates a lot more strategy on how you build your roster and just googling some ranking lists aren’t useful. I find normal leagues just really boring and not worth it. If I wasn’t in idp leagues I’d have quit along time ago.

As a last big pet peeve, injuries and suspensions. I guess both are a part of the game but I wish they weren’t.

I wish we could Eleminate ppr and go to pp first down. Much more indicative of a players contributions. I’m not sure anywhere but mfl supports it but I like It a lot. If I could change anything about fantasy that’d be it. 

I wish we could Eleminate ppr and go to pp first down. Much more indicative of a players contributions. I’m not sure anywhere but mfl supports it but I like It a lot. If I could change anything about fantasy that’d be it. 
You make a good point about that one. I’m always amazed when a running back catches a pass for -1 yard and that’s equal to a 9 yard rush.

so in that case a wr with 10 catches for 90 yards - thats right 10, 9 yard catches none for first down - gets 4 points (lets assume 20 yards = 1 point for WR)

his teammate rushes 15 times for 10 yards - but 10 of those rushes are 1 yard plunges resulting in first down.  By all accounts he had a crappy RuYdPA - but in this case he gets 11 points (10 for 1st down rushes and 1 for 10 yards rushing).

Obviously an extreme example - but how is this better than ppr (which benefits both rb and wr/te)?

Start 2QB. Once our league converted to this, none of us ever wanted to go back.

The unfortunate thing is that none of the fantasy sites offer much advice for Start 2QB leagues. A few sites have started incorporating Average Draft Position for 2-QB leagues, but it's usually based on an extremely small sample size (or it's based on 10-team leagues only). And I've never found a single fantasy site that has calculated Average Auction Values for 2-QB leagues.

I love my dynasty leagues home field advantage rule.  We have a super flex (QB/RB/WR/TE) and the home team picks the flex for the week. By midnight Wednesday the home team posts whether it's QB RB WR or TE for the week and then both teams play that position for the super flex. If the home team forgets to post then each team plays what they want. Its increased the value of starting QBs and general bench depth, and adds some strategy each week.

#1 seed gets to pick his opponent in semi-finals... it helps eliminate the situation where the #2 seed plays the weaker opponent due to a rigid bracket... because in my opinion the #1 seed shouldnt have a worse matchup than the #2 seed in the semi finals. been doing this for 4-5 years and so far a decision has not changed a loss to a win for the #1 seed... but one time the #1 seed picked the wrong opponent and ended up losing.

to give the non playoff teams something to play for in weeks 14-16....we have a consulation ladder tourney... the kicker is the prize money is not taken out of league fees... but rather is funded by the owner who finished in last place in the regular season.... essentially its a last place fine.

in my 10 team league the 4th and final playoff spot is assigned to the team with the best overall breakdown record (breakdown record: each week you compare scores against the entire league and total wins/losses... then you total that for each week of the season). This helps get the best teams in the playoffs and reduce the h2h points against luck factor... in fact this year my team claimed the spot and i ended up winning the title when i otherwise would have missed the playoffs without the rule.

In my two money leagues we draft the two nights before the 1st Thursday game.....I would hate if we drafted early.

I love our week 17 free for all, start whoever you want winner take all.......I would hate a week 17 championship game

Hate ppr......love touchdown heavy with yardage bonus scoring

Hate snake drafts

Love playoff fantasy football

Not into dynasty.....dotn hate it, but I like that the season ends and I have an "off season" if you will.

Start 2QB. Once our league converted to this, none of us ever wanted to go back.

The unfortunate thing is that none of the fantasy sites offer much advice for Start 2QB leagues. A few sites have started incorporating Average Draft Position for 2-QB leagues, but it's usually based on an extremely small sample size (or it's based on 10-team leagues only). And I've never found a single fantasy site that has calculated Average Auction Values for 2-QB leagues.
One of my leagues is 2QB, and I agree.  It make the position much more interesting

Total points is best too.....BUT we have categories and H2H is one, along with highest scoring player at each position....each category pays out.

Player transaction are $10 apiece....makes the pot juicy....love

I hate the fact that kickers get pts , that we have to draft them. who cares.add another TE or a Def player. but a kicker?! 

Yahoo supports it too. 

so in that case a wr with 10 catches for 90 yards - thats right 10, 9 yard catches none for first down - gets 4 points (lets assume 20 yards = 1 point for WR)

his teammate rushes 15 times for 10 yards - but 10 of those rushes are 1 yard plunges resulting in first down.  By all accounts he had a crappy RuYdPA - but in this case he gets 11 points (10 for 1st down rushes and 1 for 10 yards rushing).

Obviously an extreme example - but how is this better than ppr (which benefits both rb and wr/te)?
This doesn't happen. WRs get first downs too. And first downs mean something. Simply catching a ball doesn't. If you want to go extreme, sometimes catching a ball is bad. I was yelling at a player this weekend when he caught a ball and got drilled 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Drop that ball! Knock it down! 

Obviously a silly example and I’ve never seen 20 yards a point to make it sillier. Let’s say the wr had 4 first downs at least. That’s 13 points. I don’t see anything wrong with that. It rewards for more important plays, which is supposed to be the point. Not a wr getting 9 yards on 3rd and 10.

No rbs are converting 10 one yard first downs in any game ever but if they do that’s way more valuable than some rb catching 6 dump offs for 30 yards.

squistion said:

I love these bonuses. 

DropKick said:
I love this rule as well. With the caveat that the keeper is not forever. Our league you can keep a guy 2 times before you either let him go back in the pool or trade him to another team to use the round value. So if a guy got Kamara in the 13th his rookie year, he wasn't keeping him there for life. 

I loved start 2QB and I was pretty good at it. But then our league moved to 12 teams and we couldn't realistically do 2QB anymore. None of them were interested in super flex so we went back to plan old 1qb PPR. Makes the QB position almost irrelevant.

I loved start 2QB and I was pretty good at it. But then our league moved to 12 teams and we couldn't realistically do 2QB anymore. None of them were interested in super flex so we went back to plan old 1qb PPR. Makes the QB position almost irrelevant.
Why not in 12 team leagues? I did 6 super flex this year, all of them 12 teams this year. 5 on FFPC and one on RTSports which was had no K or Ds. That was cool.

In FFPC during the initial drafts you could only take 3qbs but after that you could add or bid for as many as you like. The best team I saw by far took Barkley, CMC, Thieln and Ertz (1.5 PPR TE). I have no idea who he drafted as his starting qbs but he added Allen and Jackson during the year. He ran away with it all the way to the finals when he unfortunately ran into the guy with Mahomes, Rodgers who,exploded week 16, Williams and Rudolph who out of nowhere put up a preposterous score in that system week 16. 

Point being though 2QB leagues can still thrive with 12 team leagues.

Why not in 12 team leagues? I did 6 super flex this year, all of them 12 teams this year. 5 on FFPC and one on RTSports which was had no K or Ds. That was cool.

In FFPC during the initial drafts you could only take 3qbs but after that you could add or bid for as many as you like. The best team I saw by far took Barkley, CMC, Thieln and Ertz (1.5 PPR TE). I have no idea who he drafted as his starting qbs but he added Allen and Jackson during the year. He ran away with it all the way to the finals when he unfortunately ran into the guy with Mahomes, Rodgers who,exploded week 16, Williams and Rudolph who out of nowhere put up a preposterous score in that system week 16. 

Point being though 2QB leagues can still thrive with 12 team leagues.
Not enough QBs to go around without Super flex. Each team with 2 starters and 1 backup would have 36 QBs. That's not even getting into guys hoarding them to keep away from others. Our league didn't want to do super flex. So here we are.

Obviously a silly example and I’ve never seen 20 yards a point to make it sillier. Let’s say the wr had 4 first downs at least. That’s 13 points. I don’t see anything wrong with that. It rewards for more important plays, which is supposed to be the point. Not a wr getting 9 yards on 3rd and 10.

No rbs are converting 10 one yard first downs in any game ever but if they do that’s way more valuable than some rb catching 6 dump offs for 30 yards.
Different strokes I guess - the two "standard" ppr leagues I am in are 1 pt for 10 yards rushing and 1 pt for 20 yards receiving so I just assumed that was normal.  I see value in what you are saying that first downs matter.  The advent of ppr was supposed to provide value for wrs when rb was king - now it is on the other end of the extreme and it is a pass first league - and by incenting 1 pt ppr then you get guys like MCCaffery as a rb that totally throw the scoring out of whack.

Not enough QBs to go around without Super flex. Each team with 2 starters and 1 backup would have 36 QBs. That's not even getting into guys hoarding them to keep away from others. Our league didn't want to do super flex. So here we are.
I see what you’re saying. Let me clarify, those leagues are super flex. It’s not mandatory you use a second QB. In fact one week a guy put up a monster score with only Taysom Hill as his lone QB LOL. But I get what you’re saying.

Users who are viewing this thread