What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor: Leveon Bell skipped a drug test? (2 Viewers)

Randy Gregory at the combine. It was a sign of maturity and pointed to the fact he had put all that behind him if I recall correctly.

In retrospect it sounds about as silly as thinking Bell was some babe in the woods and the evil Blount was pulling his strings to get him in trouble. People convinced themselves of that narrative, too. Which isn't to say Bell is automatically guilty now..... just that he has already demonstraded poor decision making in the past so this really shouldn't be a complete shock.
I applaud all players who are open and honest and show maturity. I just know that is the exception and not the norm and it's understandable that there is so much more to be lost than gained if they can somehow delay or avoid it. It's like that for all of us, not just football players.  I think we all understand it.

I keep thinking about the root of this:  How likely is it that Madden would report this with absolutely nothing to back it up (that SOMETHING is up)?  Steelers fans may be able to explain it. I don't know Madden or his work but I'm guessing almost nobody would just purely manufacture something.

Mark Madden@MarkMaddenX 18h18 hours ago

I hope I'm wrong. But would it surprise you?

Mark Madden@MarkMaddenX 18h18 hours ago

1. I'm told Lev Bell skipped a drug test& is facing susp. Right now, it's a rumor. But it's a pretty strong rumor.

So he was told that Bell is facing suspension, but then calls it a rumor.  If he had a source then wouldn't it be a fact?  I could call him up and tell him, oh man, Fitzpatrick is going to sign with NE and they're going to trade Brady to the Vikings!  That would also be a rumor. 

Madden is basically as much of a Steelers' insider as any of us.  He has opinions and everyone surrounding the team either thinks, who the heck is that?  Or, I hate that guy.  No one is actively seeking him out with a scoop.  They would go to one of the Pitt Gazette guys or someone from NFL or ESPN.  And, "I hope I'm wrong. But would it surprise you?"  Not really the highest confidence in his "source" here.  I call bullshi*.  I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up being true, but I'm also not going to worry about it until someone reliable also says it's true.  Right now all roads lead back to Madden and that's just not a trustworthy source.

"I am fine," Bell continued. "I haven't missed any drug tests, failed any drug tests. I can't keep talking about the drug test. I probably already said too much about it so I really can't keep talking about it. People are going to say what they want to say on the internet. It is people who really have nothing to do. I don't get upset or let it bother me."

Mark Madden @MarkMaddenX

Everyone believes that Lev Bell is telling the truth, huh? OK.

So, Bell basically says nothing to see here, and Madden calls him a liar.  We'll see in a week or less probably if there's any truth to this.  If there is?   FU*KKKK!!!!!!  As a Steelers fan how can they let 2 of their stars get into this kind of trouble?!
I see Bell's comments and think there is definitely something to it. So, he didn't miss or fail a test.  What are the other possiblities?  Did he have a diluted sample, was he late?  Something is there!

Wonder how many impulse Bell or DeAngelo Williams trades have taken place today?
I'd say there have been some Bell owners reaching out to DWIL owners but I'm guessing Bell owners haven't deserted the sinking ship like rats. If you own Bell you're probably holding fast.

I'm nervous but that's because Bell is so valuable if he stays healthy. This will kill some dynasty owners seasons.......

He rarely if ever goes to Steelers facilities and is generally disliked by the Steelers organization and the players.    It strikes me as odd that he would be the guy with inside information but you never know.
Maybe because he's prone to break stories that the Steelers organization doesn't want released yet.

I've never heard of this guy before so idea, it's just a theory
Yeah, I can't think of any news he's broken in the past.  It's all been, "This might have happened!" and people freak out, but then it's not true, and he goes, "Oh, my source was wrong." or he just never talks about it again.

He hasn't talked about Bell again since Tuesday and the only things he said were that there was a rumor, that he hoped he was wrong, and that bell denied it but we shouldn't trust Bell.  If I had to bet on it I'd say this story was bullshi* but that Bell isn't supposed to even talk about drug testing since his Joke on 4/20. 

This rumor should be dead until it's reported either in the Pittsburgh post, ESPN, or official from the NFL.  Madden is known for saying crap to incite controversy.

I've never heard of this guy before so idea, it's just a theory
I can't remember Madden breaking any significant Steelers' stories.

He's a Penguins fan, craps on the Pirates a lot, and is much more critical of the Steelers than other local journalists.  He claims that he doesn't "follow orders" like other journalists.  Basically, he claims that he doesn't let them tell him what to report.

That doesn't mean he is right or wrong, but I doubt he has any "inside" sources that other local reporters don't have.

He's a Penguins fan, craps on the Pirates a lot, and is much more critical of the Steelers than other local journalists.  He claims that he doesn't "follow orders" like other journalists.  Basically, he claims that he doesn't let them tell him what to report.

That doesn't mean he is right or wrong, but I doubt he has any "inside" sources that other local reporters don't have.
I think it means he's a hack trying to make a name for himself.

I think it means he's a hack trying to make a name for himself.
He may be a hack, but I don't know that he's trying to "make a name" for himself.  He seems fairly well established around here.

With the Pens' done, and the Pirates faltering (not that he covers them a lot anyway), he maybe needed something to grab attention.

I first heard this coming from his show.  As this thread revealed, however, it was reported the previous day by "no harm, no foul" whoever that is.  Wouldn't surprise me if Madden found that, contacted somebody in the Steelers organization to ask if they'd heard about it.  Maybe that person confirmed that they had heard about the no harm, no foul report, and Madden used that as his "source."

He may be a hack, but I don't know that he's trying to "make a name" for himself.  He seems fairly well established around here.

With the Pens' done, and the Pirates faltering (not that he covers them a lot anyway), he maybe needed something to grab attention.

I first heard this coming from his show.  As this thread revealed, however, it was reported the previous day by "no harm, no foul" whoever that is.  Wouldn't surprise me if Madden found that, contacted somebody in the Steelers organization to ask if they'd heard about it.  Maybe that person confirmed that they had heard about the no harm, no foul report, and Madden used that as his "source."
Hey, I think he stinks!  And I don't like him!!!

-Signed,

LeVeon Bell Dynasty owner

I guess the other read one could take from this is that it seems likely he doesn't have the coziest of relationships with the team and IF he did have reliable info (inside source or otherwise), then he'd absolutely be the type of person who would break this type of story because the Steelers obviously wouldn't want it out there one second before it had to be and, as said above, everyone else IS following orders and wouldn't cross the team on such an important issue.

Not saying it is true but it seems like a wildcard reporter WOULD be the type to break this kind of story.

This has not been reported anywhere else that I've seen..usually these rumors pop up on all different sites, etc.  He point blank came out and said I didn't fail or miss any tests.  So until there's a reason to worry, why sweat it?  

This has not been reported anywhere else that I've seen..usually these rumors pop up on all different sites, etc.  He point blank came out and said I didn't fail or miss any tests.  So until there's a reason to worry, why sweat it?  
Probably no reason but he's so valuable owners don't want ANYTHING possibly ruining their player's chances.  No news is good news type of thing.

Also, the Steelers are working on a practice plan to work him back into the rotation.  Why bother if he's going to be suspended for the season?

Also, the Steelers are working on a practice plan to work him back into the rotation.  Why bother if he's going to be suspended for the season?
Not a good point.  I'm sure they would continue to prepare for the season with him unless they know for a fact he's be suspended for a long while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how this will shake out but I think it's a good reminder that Bell is a highly valued dynasty chip with a lot of baggage.  I'm glad I don't own him on a dynasty roster and if this blows over he isn't the kind of guy I would want to keep around on my squad.  I would sell at his ranking.

Dynasty-wise maybe but this is a contract year for Bell so he certainly has incentive to stay out of trouble and put up big numbers this season

Probably no reason but he's so valuable owners don't want ANYTHING possibly ruining their player's chances.  No news is good news type of thing.
I'm not even talking from a fantasy perspective. As a Steelers fan, I'm talking about from that perspective (although I do have him on a few of my teams too, lol)

Madden is absolutely an attention seeker, but he is not known for spreading false rumors.  I am in the wait and see camp on this one, but as a Steelers fan, I am nervous.

He better not get suspended. If Bell stays healthy he's going to win a lot of championships this year. Everything is lining up for a huge year for him. It seems, with this offense at least, that putting up an all time great season is in his range. 

He better not get suspended. If Bell stays healthy he's going to win a lot of championships this year. 
I'll be sure to forward your concern and compelling reasoning to Goodell to make sure he takes it into consideration.

I'll be sure to forward your concern and compelling reasoning to Goodell to make sure he takes it into consideration.
I'm just saying he would be throwing away an opportunity not many great players get. Everything is lining up for a monster season. Carry on with your trolling garbage though if it makes you happy.

Bell's upside is obvious, but the concerns about him cannot be ignored. 

1) He is still one failed drug test away from a long suspension.

2) His injury history. He has been hurt in all three of his NFL seasons and has played in 35 of a possible 51 games to date (counting playoff games).  I know the old adage is "someone is injury-prone until they aren't," but three years in a row of injuries is concerning. 

3) The presence of DeAngelo Williams. Some will laugh at this, but Williams proved last year that he could more than carry the load after Bell went done. The drop-off from Bell to Williams wasn't that much, and the Steelers would be smart to utilize Williams a lot this year, instead of overworking their stud RB who does have a history of getting hurt. I am not suggesting it will be a 50/50 split, and I am sure there will be weeks where Williams' touches are very limited, but I see weeks where Williams gets a lot of touches, too, driving Bell owner nuts. 

Don't get me wrong, Williams or not, if Bell stays healthy, I see him having a big season...but the concerns cannot be ignored. 

Bell's upside is obvious, but the concerns about him cannot be ignored. 

1) He is still one failed drug test away from a long suspension.

2) His injury history. He has been hurt in all three of his NFL seasons and has played in 35 of a possible 51 games to date (counting playoff games).  I know the old adage is "someone is injury-prone until they aren't," but three years in a row of injuries is concerning. 

3) The presence of DeAngelo Williams. Some will laugh at this, but Williams proved last year that he could more than carry the load after Bell went done. The drop-off from Bell to Williams wasn't that much, and the Steelers would be smart to utilize Williams a lot this year, instead of overworking their stud RB who does have a history of getting hurt. I am not suggesting it will be a 50/50 split, and I am sure there will be weeks where Williams' touches are very limited, but I see weeks where Williams gets a lot of touches, too, driving Bell owner nuts. 

Don't get me wrong, Williams or not, if Bell stays healthy, I see him having a big season...but the concerns cannot be ignored. 
You shouldn't be worried about Williams at all. Injury and drug test issues are legit though.

Last year on touches on offense, rushing and receiving combined:

Williams averaged 5.3 yards per touch and scored 11 TDs on 240 total touches.

Bell averaged 5.1 yards per touch and scored 3 TDs on 137 total touches. 

Now, it's true that half of Bell's games didn't have Roethlisberger, but still, you are kidding yourself if you think Williams' presence is not a concern. 

1-2-5-1-4 were the carries Williams got when both were healthy. 

Oh and 1 reception. 

LeVeon Bell is the best RB in the league and the Steelers know it to. Williams is no threat. 

And they also know that their stud RB has had problems staying healthy, and with such a good number 2, there is no reason to overwork him.  

Also, Bell is not the best RB in the NFL.  Part of being the best is being lucky enough to stay healthy, and Bell fails miserably in that regard. AP is the best NFL RB until proven otherwise. 

Ghost Rider, this is Mission Control. Please provide an update on Project "26-Nix-FFB2016", over. 

What kind of split are you worried about? Like 70/30 with Bell in on all the 3rd downs? 
First off, not worried at all, since I almost never got for the top RBs anymore (I'd rather go for the stud WRs, who are more bust-proof).

Second, I have no idea what the splits will be.  I doubt the Steelers will have a specific split thing planned ahead of time, since they seem like too smart of a team to do that.  I hate it when teams that designate this RB for this drive, that RB for that drive, etc.; always better to go with the flow and let the pace of the game dictate who plays and gets touches.  

Again, I am merely expressing the concerns that one should have about Bell going in.  I can see it now; Bell owners will be #####ing by early October when Williams nabs some touches or scores they think should have been Bell's, when any savvy owner should go in knowing it's a real possibility (for Williams to get some touches, again, not saying it will be an even split or anything close to that). 

First off, not worried at all, since I almost never got for the top RBs anymore (I'd rather go for the stud WRs, who are more bust-proof).

Second, I have no idea what the splits will be.  I doubt the Steelers will have a specific split thing planned ahead of time, since they seem like too smart of a team to do that.  I hate it when teams that designate this RB for this drive, that RB for that drive, etc.; always better to go with the flow and let the pace of the game dictate who plays and gets touches.  

Again, I am merely expressing the concerns that one should have about Bell going in.  I can see it now; Bell owners will be #####ing by early October when Williams nabs some touches or scores they think should have been Bell's, when any savvy owner should go in knowing it's a real possibility (for Williams to get some touches, again, not saying it will be an even split or anything close to that). 
Yeah I think you're projecting a problem that's not there.

Bell 26 touches- Williams 1

Bell 29 touches- Williams 2

Bell 25 touches - Williams 5

Bell 24 touches- Williams 1

Bell 21 touches- Williams 5

That's the split they had when both were healthy. Bell 125 touches. Williams 14 touches. That's a 90/10 split on the workload. If Bell isn't ready to go then yeah it could be Williams to start the year but this is most def Bell's job when he's healthy.

And they also know that their stud RB has had problems staying healthy, and with such a good number 2, there is no reason to overwork him.  

Also, Bell is not the best RB in the NFL.  Part of being the best is being lucky enough to stay healthy, and Bell fails miserably in that regard. AP is the best NFL RB until proven otherwise. 
Not for nothing, but Bell's played in more games the last 3 years than Peterson has.

Yeah I think you're projecting a problem that's not there.

Bell 26 touches- Williams 1

Bell 29 touches- Williams 2

Bell 25 touches - Williams 5

Bell 24 touches- Williams 1

Bell 21 touches- Williams 5

That's the split they had when both were healthy. Bell 125 touches. Williams 14 touches. That's a 90/10 split on the workload. If Bell isn't ready to go then yeah it could be Williams to start the year but this is most def Bell's job when he's healthy.
I agree that it is Bell's job, obviously, but given how well Williams did last year after Bell went down and what a good fit he also is in that offense, they will find ways to get him touches. Please note again that Williams did more with his touches last year than Bell did (more yards per touch and scores). 

Not for nothing, but Bell's played in more games the last 3 years than Peterson has.
How many games did Peterson miss due to injury in those three years?  

Doesn't matter; games where he doesn't play are games where your FF #1 RB doesn't get points for you.

You, yourself stated that "part of being the best is being lucky enough to stay healthy."  The exact same sentiment applies to being lucky enough to avoid legal drama.  In the 3 years Bell has been in the NFL, he has been "lucky" enough to play in more games than Peterson, while scoring more fantasy points.

Anyway, to your original point about the Steelers giving more touches to Williams; that's not how they operate.  In Bell's career in Pittsburgh, he has gotten 77% of the RB touches in games he has played.  That includes 79% in his rookie year (before he was "established" as a bona-fide stud NFL RB); getting 77% of the touches the week after he was knocked unconscious in a game against the Ravens his rookie year; and receiving 84% of the touches after his two-game suspension to start last year, during which DeAngelo Williams was 2nd in the league in rushes AND rushing yards.  

The Steelers have shown no indication (past practice, nor coaches comments) that they will limit Bell's workload, either because they are worried about his injury history (see his 1st game as a rookie, coming off an injury, before the bye-earlier than expected where he got 80% of the RB touches AND his game after the concussion) or because of a capable/excellent backup (see split with Blount in 2014 AND split with DWill in games 3-8 from 2015).  You can think they will limit his touches, but there is no basis for that belief. 

I agree that it is Bell's job, obviously, but given how well Williams did last year after Bell went down and what a good fit he also is in that offense, they will find ways to get him touches. Please note again that Williams did more with his touches last year than Bell did (more yards per touch and scores). 

Yeah and when Williams spelled Bell in those games he was garbage. What's your point? You think Williams is better than Bell? Do you honestly think that? If you're going to lower Bell's value over things like knee injuries where his knee was bent backwards by another player you have you lower Peterson's value on the chance he could beat his children again. I mean I understand the risk involved with Bell's injury past but Peterson has a lot of miles and is pretty old. I don't see AP as a significantly less injury risk.

Anyway back on topic because I know you're not saying Peterson is better at this stage in his career in the real NFL or in FF. If you think Williams is going to steal a ton of work from Bell I'd have to say after viewing past usage rates I disagree completely and I'm not worried in the slightest about Bell's usage going forward. The other concerns you mentioned in that post were legit though and need to be cooked into his price.

Users who are viewing this thread