What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumor: Leveon Bell skipped a drug test? (1 Viewer)

think of the millions he just missed

I believe, thats what this whole thing was about.  What would cost Bell more money, a missed test with excuses like "it wasn't my fault" , or an actual failed test?

He's losing money either way, he would have lost more with an actual dirty sample.

Way, way, way too many assumptions based on nothing regarding the contact info.  

We don't know #### about it, it's OK to admit it.  You're actually arguing about someone else's dumba$$ assumption vs. your own dumba$$ assumption?

If Bell couldn't be reached I'm thinking the agent and Bell are the dumba$$. 
I'm making some assumptions and asking if people still believe Bell (which is trending
towards NO). It's July, most of what we have for news is fluff-"This guy looks good"-or
stuff like this. Most of what we have in FF right now is assumptions.

If Bell couldn't be reached I'm thinking the agent and Bell are the dumba$$. 
I'm making some assumptions and asking if people still believe Bell (which is trending
towards NO). It's July, most of what we have for news is fluff-"This guy looks good"-or
stuff like this. Most of what we have in FF right now is assumptions.
Assumptions that are based on fact, or reporting, or anything.

Your assumption is that it's Bell's fault.

Cool. Nothing to back it up, but cool.

In a contract year where the Steelers have the opportunity to renew his deal for much mor money or take the option under the franchise tag, again with so much money on the line, Bell and his handlers have to be the stupidest group of people in the NFL. To have missed any tests whatsoever or to miss any fulfillment requirements of his testing expectations is just plain stupid. What a terrible failure. The 2nd contract for running backs is pretty much their only shot to break the bank and they pretty much blew it!

In a contract year where the Steelers have the opportunity to renew his deal for much mor money or take the option under the franchise tag, again with so much money on the line, Bell and his handlers have to be the stupidest group of people in the NFL. To have missed any tests whatsoever or to miss any fulfillment requirements of his testing expectations is just plain stupid. What a terrible failure. The 2nd contract for running backs is pretty much their only shot to break the bank and they pretty much blew it!
Exactly. To have the leeway of missing multiple tests tells you a lot about these guys who end up suspended. Their priority is the hippy lettuce and that will probably not change.

This, IMO, isn't true.

I think the suspension sticks, so assuming Bell comes back in week 5, and produces along his career averages, he will finish with 216 carries, 52 catches, 1500 YFS and 7 TD in 12 games. 

If he does that, he will still get a huge contract.  He was never getting that $15M he rapped about, but he can still get a big contract.

This, IMO, isn't true.

I think the suspension sticks, so assuming Bell comes back in week 5, and produces along his career averages, he will finish with 216 carries, 52 catches, 1500 YFS and 7 TD in 12 games. 

If he does that, he will still get a huge contract.  He was never getting that $15M he rapped about, but he can still get a big contract.
Wait, what are his career average for games missed due to injury? I think your math skills are a little off.

Assumptions that are based on fact, or reporting, or anything.

Your assumption is that it's Bell's fault.

Cool. Nothing to back it up, but cool.
It's either Bell or the NFL's drug testing administrator(s)-If Bell is even telling the
truth about the phone. We still do not know how Bell got in this position.

The NFL gets some stuff wrong but how they ENFORCE the drug policy isn't one of them.
I'm not making the case that the policy's are right or wrong but they haven't yet (publicly)
screwed up on communications about this stuff.

I'm not a Bell owner and I'm not happy about ANOTHER player potentially losing time over
something this NUMB.   

Wait, what are his career average for games missed due to injury? I think your math skills are a little off.
In games missed due to injury, he has averaged 0 touches, 0 yards, and 0 TDs.  The numbers I used are his career averages for the games that he has played in, including both games he had to leave early b/c of injury.

In games missed due to injury, he has averaged 0 touches, 0 yards, and 0 TDs.  The numbers I used are his career averages for the games that he has played in, including both games he had to leave early b/c of injury.
You then multiplied those averages by 12 though, implicitly assuming he did not get hurt.  A better projection would involve multiplying it by the career average number of games he played in a season, hence the relevance of the average number of games he missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You then multiplied those averages by 12 though, implicitly assuming he did not get hurt.  A better projection would involve multiplying it by the career average number of games he played in a season, hence the relevance of the average number of games he missed.
If you use that logic, every player who plays in the NFL is hurting their chance b/c they could get hurt and that would prevent them from being able to get a big contract.

You can't predict injuries, and Bell's injuries aren't of the "chronic" (no pun intended) variety.  He has sprained his foot, injured his MCL in each knee, and PCL in one knee.  It's not a recurring injury, they are just things that happen to people who play football for a living.

Obviously, if Bell comes back and gets hurt again, he will be in a weaker bargaining position, with regards to a new contract, but that would have been the case, regardless of whether he has gotten suspended or not.

My response was to the comment that Bell and his agent "blew it" by missing the tests he missed.  While obviously not a positive, if he returns from the suspension and plays as well as he has thus far in his career, he will still get a big contract, IMO.

This, IMO, isn't true.

As a RB who has played one full season and is a boneheaded guy one more boneheaded move away from an even larger suspension, on a team where his 100 year old backup came in and produced basically as good as he did?

Maybe.  Maybe not.

If you use that logic, every player who plays in the NFL is hurting their chance b/c they could get hurt and that would prevent them from being able to get a big contract.

You can't predict injuries, and Bell's injuries aren't of the "chronic" (no pun intended) variety.  He has sprained his foot, injured his MCL in each knee, and PCL in one knee.  It's not a recurring injury, they are just things that happen to people who play football for a living.

Obviously, if Bell comes back and gets hurt again, he will be in a weaker bargaining position, with regards to a new contract, but that would have been the case, regardless of whether he has gotten suspended or not.

My response was to the comment that Bell and his agent "blew it" by missing the tests he missed.  While obviously not a positive, if he returns from the suspension and plays as well as he has thus far in his career, he will still get a big contract, IMO.
So in your head Bell hasn't been any more injury prone than the average NFL player. Got it.

So in your head Bell hasn't been any more injury prone than the average NFL player. Got it.
Not in my head; he has had injuries, yes, but what top RB hasn't/doesn't?  Peterson, Charles, McCoy, Ingram, Hurley, Anderson, Rawls, etc-all have/have had injury issues.

If he was dealing with the same injury, repeatedly, I'd be more concerned. As is, no, I don't think he's more prone to injury than a typical NFL RB who gets a lot of touches.

Dov Kleiman @NFL_DovKleiman

#Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell will hold a press conference at 5:30 pm

4:24 PM - 28 Jul 2016

Bell not placed on PUP list.  That's unbelievable, considering all the injury experts who said he wouldn't be ready for TC, or even by week 5.  And that Dr. who never examined him, but used to work for the SD Padres!

Wow, who could have seen this coming? :rolleyes:  

massraider said:
Way, way, way too many assumptions based on nothing regarding the contact info.  

We don't know #### about it, it's OK to admit it.  You're actually arguing about someone else's dumba$$ assumption vs. your own dumba$$ assumption?
My only assumption is that his agent's number is on the contact list for testing.  I have no clue if the testing facilitator was diligent in exhausting all options for contact.  If it turns out I am wrong for assuming a player's agent is on the contact list, then I assure you, I am not the dumba$$. 

My only assumption is that his agent's number is on the contact list for testing.  I have no clue if the testing facilitator was diligent in exhausting all options for contact.  If it turns out I am wrong for assuming a player's agent is on the contact list, then I assure you, I am not the dumba$$. 
Josh Gordon is proof the NFL doesn't want to slam people for marajuana use.  Coming off a year long suspension he failed another test earlier this year, they could have dropped the hammer and instead are letting him back after a 4 game suspension.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they give Bell the benefit of the doubt and he doesn't get suspended.  During the next CBA there is no way the penalties for marajuana use are as harsh.   Good chance they follow the NBA's lead on the issue.

Josh Gordon is proof the NFL doesn't want to slam people for marajuana use.  Coming off a year long suspension he failed another test earlier this year, they could have dropped the hammer and instead are letting him back after a 4 game suspension.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they give Bell the benefit of the doubt and he doesn't get suspended.  During the next CBA there is no way the penalties for marajuana use are as harsh.   Good chance they follow the NBA's lead on the issue.
Obviously, which is why they suspended him in the first place 

As an addiction psychiatrist, I can tell you that a missed test = a failed test. Period. It might be a legitamate excuse but it's still considered a failed test in the eyes of the people involved in his care. And that's what they will tell the NFL. 

If the players give up power to get these recreational drug penalties reduced it would be
a mistake. It is way to easy to avoid the punishment-it's an I.Q. test-and if your can't do
that your not going to be trusted. A VERY small number of players get caught and giving
up power that effects all the players is not smart.

The rules are stupid, and players deal with all kinds of stupid rules to not work a day job.
Uniform rules, Training camp bed checks for grown men, Requirements to talk to the press.........

Keep in mind Gordon already got slammed - he missed last season.  Although, technically, that may have been for alcohol?  In Gordon's case, he could have been watching his career slip away.  That's a tough one for me; the NFL is his shot at success.  Do you really want to "drop the hammer" on a career?

We don't know the facts yet on Bell... I don't believe anything these guys say - but I can see the league screwing up too!  But, "benefit of the doubt?  I would be very surprised.

Admittedly, there is less of a stigma with alcohol than there is weed.  But there is the role model aspect of being a professional athlete.  Also, if I'm an owner committing big contracts to these guys, I want 100% commitment to the game.

I haven't read this entire thread so it's very possible I'm just parroting the same #### someone posted earlier, but there are 2 possible escapes here for LB:

1.  He did actually update his phone # with the league and it was a clerical error on their part (not very likely, IMO, but still possible).  

2.   Because of his Blount session with Legarrette last year, he's still getting tested by some other group (state of PA as part of his plea?) and he has pissed clean around the same time or after these missed tests with the NFL.   This would not necessarily exonerate him, but could be a positive factor in his appeal (maybe a reduction?).  

I wouldn't put any money on either scenario, but us yinzers can hope. 

Sal Paolantonio on ESPN’s sportscenter special last night said the #Steelers have optimism around Le’Veon Bell playing week 1.  Paolantonio said, “They are pretty confident that they will have him Week 1, so that’s what the Steelers are telling us,”

Le'Veon Bell - RB -  Steelers

Suspended RB Le'Veon Bell declared himself 100 percent recovered from last year's MCL and PCL tears.
Bell says he's cleared all of the mental hurdles associated with a multi-ligament tear and is as good as new. "Even jump cutting, if I decide I want to jump over somebody, jump in the end zone, whatever it may be, I feel I'll be able to do all that," he said. "My leg feels great. I felt I got all my speed back."

Users who are viewing this thread