What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Braun wins Appeal! (1 Viewer)

This reminds me of all the Bonds defenders years back. Hilarious, how vigilant they were. More amusing, was that it was Bay Area folk, who pride themselves in moral superiority, if you will. Can you imagine what those same people's take would've been (on Bonds) had he played in LA all those years?

I always find Wisconsinites as pleasant, level-headed people, for the most part. But maybe not. How silly it is for adults to go to the mat defending some overpaid jock...just because they like to root for some business/team (oh, and :bye: Prince). It's not your son, people.

Why are fans so damn irrational. My god.Take the exact same circumstances and apply it to an opposing player and Brewer fans are surely not as adamant with their denials
I agree, but all the evidence points to a lot of doubt.Guilty until proven innocent is not the way all the doubters should be thinking, but it's obvious in this thread, that's exactly how they are thinking.
If a failed drug test isn't proof of using drugs, I'm not really sure what proof we are waiting for.

Why are fans so damn irrational. My god.Take the exact same circumstances and apply it to an opposing player and Brewer fans are surely not as adamant with their denials
I agree, but all the evidence points to a lot of doubt.Guilty until proven innocent is not the way all the doubters should be thinking, but it's obvious in this thread, that's exactly how they are thinking.
If a failed drug test isn't proof of using drugs, I'm not really sure what proof we are waiting for.
Who failed the drug test? Just because someone leaked information does not mean it is or was true. But go ahead and just say the guy was gulity. Just hope your glass house is safe.

Who failed the drug test? Just because someone leaked information does not mean it is or was true. But go ahead and just say the guy was gulity. Just hope your glass house is safe.
How ridiculous can we get here? You think Braun appealed the results of a drug test he PASSED?

How exactly do you wackos think the sample was/could be tampered with? Define tampered.
:goodposting: There are tamper-evident seals on the specimen bottle, the specimen pocket (bag) the bottle goes into, and the box the bag goes into. Oh, wait, sorry - Mr. Pack's wife said this was easy to bypass. Never mind.

How exactly do you wackos think the sample was/could be tampered with? Define tampered.
:goodposting: There are tamper-evident seals on the specimen bottle, the specimen pocket (bag) the bottle goes into, and the box the bag goes into. Oh, wait, sorry - Mr. Pack's wife said this was easy to bypass. Never mind.
A lot of ignorant ####sticks in here, congrats, you just jumped into the lead!

How many tamper proof seals are placed on the sample before it leaves the eyes of the athlete?Pretty sure it is only on the bottle. The other two seals become irrelevant then.Would also like an answer as to why people think that there are rules in place regarding sending in the samples immediately. I am pretty sure I know why people don't want to answer

Last edited by a moderator:
How many tamper proof seals are placed on the sample before it leaves the eyes of the athlete?Pretty sure it is only on the bottle. The other two seals become irrelevant then.

Would also like an answer as to why people think that there are rules in place regarding sending in the samples immediately. I am pretty sure I know why people don't want to answer
They had extra white space on the sheet of paper? :shrug:

How ridiculous can we get here? You think Braun appealed the results of a drug test he PASSED?
How ridiculous are you to just assume that it was Brauns test? I am sorry, but you cannot say 100% it is his test. And since you seem to be so closed minded to the actual facts of the case that Braun appealed the results of the test and proved that the results were not valid. So because "YOU" think it is Brauns test and your not open to any mistakes by the MLB that were proven that you just assume the worst out of a guy that has never failed a drug test before or since. But keep tossing stones in your glass house.And I am not a Brewers fan or a Braun fan.. Just an open minded human that is willing to accept that mistakes are made, and I am not one to pass judgement unless it was proven correct.

How ridiculous are you to just assume that it was Brauns test? I am sorry, but you cannot say 100% it is his test. And since you seem to be so closed minded to the actual facts of the case that Braun appealed the results of the test and proved that the results were not valid. So because "YOU" think it is Brauns test and your not open to any mistakes by the MLB that were proven that you just assume the worst out of a guy that has never failed a drug test before or since. But keep tossing stones in your glass house.And I am not a Brewers fan or a Braun fan.. Just an open minded human that is willing to accept that mistakes are made, and I am not one to pass judgement unless it was proven correct.
Considering you are the first person I've heard suggest that the actual test was switched, I'd say I don't feel very ridiculous at all.I'm assuming it's Braun's test because absolutely no one, including Braun, is suggesting otherwise. Well, except for you. I'm just going to assume you are fishing and back away.

whether he did it or not doesn't matter. that long a blank in the chain of custody means he gets off regardless.

too much reasonable doubt

He did not fail any drug test. The test was invalid. It was ruled invalid by an independent arbitrator probably because he believes the breach in testing procedures created too much uncertainty about the veracity of the results. i.e., the results you cited were too unreliable.

He did not fail any drug test. The test was invalid. It was ruled invalid by an independent arbitrator probably because he believes the breach in testing procedures created too much uncertainty about the veracity of the results. i.e., the results you cited were too unreliable.
:lmao:

Kind of weird how people defend their sports heroes so fiercely. If this happened to a Cubs or Cards superstar, every Brewers fan in here would be singing the complete opposite stance.

Bizarre.

Kind of weird how people defend their sports heroes so fiercely. If this happened to a Cubs or Cards superstar, every Brewers fan in here would be singing the complete opposite stance. Bizarre.
Really? Based on what? Your opinion? :lol:

I like how the guy who works for the collecting agency is suspect while the 19-year-old kid at the FedEx window is Dr. Henry Lee.

Kind of weird how people defend their sports heroes so fiercely. If this happened to a Cubs or Cards superstar, every Brewers fan in here would be singing the complete opposite stance. Bizarre.
Common sense.
Yeah, ok. You go with that if that's what you need to do to convince yourself, but It's clear from your post that Common Sense wasn't involved in your decision making process one bit.

How ridiculous are you to just assume that it was Brauns test? I am sorry, but you cannot say 100% it is his test.
99%?
Would you be so kind as to explain why there are rules in place regarding the timing of a drug test and chain of custody?Thank you so very much in advance.
You could say it's possible the actual lab technician testing Braun's sample is suspect I guess. Perhaps we need video of Braun injecting himself or cutting off a couple of peoples' heads.

How ridiculous are you to just assume that it was Brauns test? I am sorry, but you cannot say 100% it is his test.
99%?
Would you be so kind as to explain why there are rules in place regarding the timing of a drug test and chain of custody?Thank you so very much in advance.
You could say it's possible the actual lab technician testing Braun's sample is suspect I guess. Perhaps we need video of Braun injecting himself or cutting off a couple of peoples' heads.
I am pretty drunk so could you point out if you answered my question or not?

Common sense.
Yeah, ok. You go with that if that's what you need to do to convince yourself, but It's clear from your post that Common Sense wasn't involved in your decision making process one bit.
Dude, we get it. You're happy that your boy doesn't have to serve a 50 game suspension. Be happy with that. But for God sake, stop trying to take the ruling and pretend it means he wasn't jacked up on testosterone. I know you're enjoy playing the role of moron here, but I highly doubt you're as stupid as you're pretending to be.

Common sense.
Dude, we get it. You're happy that your boy doesn't have to serve a 50 game suspension. Be happy with that. But for God sake, stop trying to take the ruling and pretend it means he wasn't jacked up on testosterone. I know you're enjoy playing the role of moron here, but I highly doubt you're as stupid as you're pretending to be.
Take it easy. There are plenty of highly-respected authorities on the matter and in the media who feel the exact same way as Max. Neither side can ever say with 100% certainty whether he did or did not juice, so no need to call people morons or stupid. It's a different opinion from yours, but it doesn't make it wrong or naive.I have no dog in the fight. But from an outside perspective and with no bias, it seems like the Braun defenders in here are doing their best to defend him and/or the process without getting personal. But those who believe he cheated come across almost like the louder and more vindictive they get and the more insults they toss around, the more right they'll be.Nobody is stupid for believing that the results were tainted. Nobody is a hater or a hardened cynic for believing he was juicing. The only -- ONLY -- important fact in this entire ordeal that both sides should be able to agree on, is that nobody knows for sure who is right. So let's cool the name-calling a LOT.

A Flawed Policy For Drug Testing

February 25, 2012

By JERÉ LONGMAN

Ryan Braun’s successful appeal of his doping case appears indefensible. In any valid antidoping system, athletes are judged by a standard called strict liability: no matter how an illicit substance gets into their bodies, athletes are responsible for it.

Otherwise, the usual excuse — “I didn’t knowingly take a banned substance” — can be almost impossible to refute.

There can be mitigating circumstances. LaShawn Merritt of the United States, the reigning Olympic 400-meter champion, took a steroid derivative contained in a male-enhancement product. He was trying to enhance his sexual performance, not his athletic performance, arbitrators acknowledged. They did not give him the maximum punishment, but Merritt was still barred from competition for 21 months. The drug was detected in his body. He was held responsible for it.

Braun, on the other hand, was cleared by a flawed baseball policy that lacks the independence and transparency of the Olympic system governed by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

If Braun had a medical dispensation to take a banned substance or had some medical issue that he could document even if he had received no waiver, then he could argue that he was not significantly at fault. But he has made no such public claim. Instead, he has been cleared on what cannot even be called a technicality.

In a 2-1 vote, a baseball panel ruled that there were legitimate questions about how Braun’s urine sample was handled by a collector. In truth, no real doubts appear to exist about tampering and the chain of custody.

Braun’s sample was collected at the ballpark after the Milwaukee Brewers’ first game of the 2011 postseason. The drug tester said that because no nearby FedEx center was open, he took the sample home and stored it in his basement for the weekend. This was not a violation of protocol but rather the preferred approach, according to Travis T. Tygart, the chief executive of the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

Any baseball player should prefer to have his sample in the custody of a trained professional — one agreed to by his union — than to have it sitting abandoned in some FedEx facility over the weekend, Tygart said. That way, the urine collector can be cross-examined about the chain of custody: What was the temperature of the basement? Did anyone else come into contact with the sample?

Lawyers for Major League Baseball argued there was no evidence that Braun’s sealed sample was tampered with before it reached a Montreal laboratory. And Braun apparently did not prove tampering had occurred. Nor, apparently, did he argue that the sample did not belong to him. Braun also did not challenge the science behind the positive test, Tygart said.

Could the sample have degraded over the 48 hours in question to produce a false positive? “To say it degraded and created synthetic testosterone is contrary to logic and science,” Tygart said.

He added: “For synthetic testosterone to be in the urine, it had to come out of the body into the collection cup. Nothing voided would cause synthetic testosterone to magically appear in a urine sample. They never tried to argue that at all.”

In fairness, baseball has made significant improvements in its drug-testing aspirations. Some consider its program more stringent than the N.F.L.’s. Still, Major League Baseball and the players union bear blame in the Braun case.

It is a conflict of interest for baseball and the union to have votes on an arbitration panel in a doping appeal. By supporting Braun, the union seemed to act in contradiction of testing and collecting procedures it negotiated. To truly give credibility to drug testing, the union and baseball should agree through collective bargaining to completely outsource drug-testing collection, oversight and prosecution to an independent organization.

Until then, baseball remains vulnerable to suspicions that it is interested in drug testing only as long as its biggest stars are not caught.

“You have to wonder who is ultimately being protected — those players doing everything possible to be clean or a single individual who has a positive test?” Tygart said.

If baseball and its union were truly serious about combating doping, they would agree to close significant loopholes in testing during the off-season. Drug screening conducted out of competition is considered the only reliable way of detection, because the testing is done when athletes are most likely to be doping to help recover from injury and build muscle.

To be effective, drug testing must be random and unannounced. Elite athletes in the Olympic sports must essentially let drug-testing officials know their whereabouts from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., 365 days a year. Testers knock on doors or appear at training sites without notice and demand a urine sample. Sixty-five percent of the United States Anti-Doping Agency’s tests are administered out of competition.

By comparison, only 3 to 6 percent of baseball’s drug testing comes in the off-season. Players must make their whereabouts known, as in the Olympic sports, but testing is not unannounced. Instead, officials say, a phone call notifies them that they will be screened. Even if the test is given the same day, as baseball says, the vital element of surprise is lost. Thus, players are afforded time to try to mask banned substances.

“We are really serious about our program,” said Dr. Gary Green, the medical director of Major League Baseball. “I feel we followed everything we were supposed to do” in the Braun case. “We’ve never lost a case until this.”

But unless the testing policy is shored up, the guilty will continue to go free and, more alarmingly, the innocent will be unable to prove their innocence.

:lmao:
Its ok. I understand. I'm arguing process. You're arguing emotion.

I"ll ask again.. How (specifically) could the sample have been tampered with, to cause the results of the test? Please humor me.

'Daywalker said:
Don't care much if guys do PED's to begin with. Don't care that the abitrater ruled in Braun's favor. I can see the logic.But Braun was dirty. Fine. Put out a BS statement and stay out of the limelight. Worked for D. Ortiz. But Braun came out guns blazing and lied to us like we are idiots. He has no shame.Sample showed no signs of tampering. Collector working a 2nd job schleping his kid around is the mastermind? Horrible advice to have Braun do that press-conference and take the stance he did. Probably not advice he's just a doosh that didn't know when to quit while ahead.
:goodposting: I agree. How stupid of Braun to hold a press conference. I've already made up my mind that he is guilty and wish to remain close-minded. I base this on everything MLB has put forth. I don't really care that they have bungled just about everything to do with this drug testing of Braun, from leaking that he tested positive in a confidential process, from leaking when the hearing would be, taking over the recommended 25 days to make a ruling, and mishandling the sample to begin with. I've heard MLB's side. That's good enough for me. I don't need to hear Braun's side. How dare he step forward and try to defend himself! I've already made up my mind.:putshandsoverears:La-la-la-la-la. I'm not listening.

Common sense.
And we get that you like to fish on two different message boards.

It's too bad that MLB cant strip this fraud and all the other cheaters of their fake accomplishments/awards. Damn shame.

'Daywalker said:
Don't care much if guys do PED's to begin with. Don't care that the abitrater ruled in Braun's favor. I can see the logic.But Braun was dirty. Fine. Put out a BS statement and stay out of the limelight. Worked for D. Ortiz. But Braun came out guns blazing and lied to us like we are idiots. He has no shame.Sample showed no signs of tampering. Collector working a 2nd job schleping his kid around is the mastermind? Horrible advice to have Braun do that press-conference and take the stance he did. Probably not advice he's just a doosh that didn't know when to quit while ahead.
:goodposting: I agree. How stupid of Braun to hold a press conference. I've already made up my mind that he is guilty and wish to remain close-minded. I base this on everything MLB has put forth. I don't really care that they have bungled just about everything to do with this drug testing of Braun, from leaking that he tested positive in a confidential process, from leaking when the hearing would be, taking over the recommended 25 days to make a ruling, and mishandling the sample to begin with. I've heard MLB's side. That's good enough for me. I don't need to hear Braun's side. How dare he step forward and try to defend himself! I've already made up my mind.:putshandsoverears:La-la-la-la-la. I'm not listening.
If your defense to finding synthetic testosterone in your urine is, "Hey someone leaked my positive test results." You should just shut up.

I"ll ask again.. How (specifically) could the sample have been tampered with, to cause the results of the test? Please humor me.
Could time alter results therefore tampering it?
No.If fedex was actually closed, then there would have been zero issue with storing the sample for 2 days until it could be shipped.
people keep saying this, but doesnt every city that has a professional baseball team have a 24 hour fedex/kinko's location? Wouldn't every person that collects these samples know this? Wouldn't they probably have a list of them and the addresses?

No.If fedex was actually closed, then there would have been zero issue with storing the sample for 2 days until it could be shipped.
people keep saying this, but doesnt every city that has a professional baseball team have a 24 hour fedex/kinko's location? Wouldn't every person that collects these samples know this? Wouldn't they probably have a list of them and the addresses?
I think the issue in the guy's mind was that Fedex wasn't going to ship until Monday anyway, so he may as well hold on to it himself.

I think the issue in the guy's mind was that Fedex wasn't going to ship until Monday anyway, so he may as well hold on to it himself.
It's a mat. And you jump to conclusions.

The piss could sit there for 20 years... and it wouldn't magically produce synthetic testosterone.
I have no idea if that is a true statement as I don't know the science behind it, do you? What if the conditions change (refrigeration vs. out)? Also, I don't know if we know that they found synthetic testosterone, just that there was an obscenely, three times the highest ever amount recorded in their testing, amount of regular testosterone (is there a difference?).As you can I see I know nothing which equals just about what everyone else knows.

The piss could sit there for 20 years... and it wouldn't magically produce synthetic testosterone.
I have no idea if that is a true statement as I don't know the science behind it, do you? What if the conditions change (refrigeration vs. out)? Also, I don't know if we know that they found synthetic testosterone, just that there was an obscenely, three times the highest ever amount recorded in their testing, amount of regular testosterone (is there a difference?).As you can I see I know nothing which equals just about what everyone else knows.
And let's face it, Braun's numbers don't add up to a steroid user. He's been killing it since he was in high school. I don't know why someone at the prime of his baseball career putting up monster numbers, was putting up monster numbers since he started playing baseball, who has a maintained a squeaky clean image the entire time would suddenly start using steroids. For what gain? To put up monster numbers? He's already doing that.It doesn't add up. We many never know for sure, though.

1) No, time and/or temperature change won't make synthetic testosterone magically appear. That has been mentioned over and over again in numerous linked articles (to be fair, I'm not certain if Mrs. Pack has signed off on that assertion).2) three times the highest ever amount recorded in their testing - this is wrong in every respect. It has been variously reported his testosterone level was 20 to 30 times normal levels, but the Montreal lab has seen levels as high as 80 times normal.

Let's see...what would hurt MLB more? The whole world finding out their PED testing program is (still) a joke? Or the whole world finding out their PED problem is still as bad as ever and their stars are all frauds? I'm sure MLB is thrilled at the results of this the latest in the sordid world of professional baseball doping no matter how "furious" they claim to be or how real their threats of a law-suit are. Count your blessings, Brewer fans. You were just given an absolute gift. Now just hope he doesn't post a .269/14/55 line this year. Enjoy your "vindication".

And let's face it, Braun's numbers don't add up to a steroid user. He's been killing it since he was in high school. I don't know why someone at the prime of his baseball career putting up monster numbers, was putting up monster numbers since he started playing baseball, who has a maintained a squeaky clean image the entire time would suddenly start using steroids. For what gain? To put up monster numbers? He's already doing that.It doesn't add up. We many never know for sure, though.
Oh boy

1) No, time and/or temperature change won't make synthetic testosterone magically appear. That has been mentioned over and over again in numerous linked articles (to be fair, I'm not certain if Mrs. Pack has signed off on that assertion).2) three times the highest ever amount recorded in their testing - this is wrong in every respect. It has been variously reported his testosterone level was 20 to 30 times normal levels, but the Montreal lab has seen levels as high as 80 times normal.
Well hell, if it was only 20 to 30 times normal level and they have seen cases as high as 80, then I see no reason why they would think he was juicing.

Users who are viewing this thread