What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saints being investigated for putting bounties on players (2 Viewers)

Poor Kurt Warner, on the wrong end of both major recent NFL scandals. That hit the Saints delivered on him in the playoffs was his final play for those that don't recall.

Marcellus Wiley, ex NFL player ESPN employee just said, every single team he has been on had a bounty system in place. He also said every single team in the league has one. This is no big deal!
And every team in the NBA did under the table deals like the T-Wolves did with the Joe Smith ordeal.But when they were caught, they were punished...severely.It's a big deal.
Look Andy, I understand, no football and you need something but this story will go away quickly once the league understands what's what. It's a internal bonus system for making plays, every team does it and the League will not be able to hammer the Saints because they will have to hammer 31 other teams. It's a non issue.

Marcellus Wiley, ex NFL player ESPN employee just said, every single team he has been on had a bounty system in place. He also said every single team in the league has one. This is no big deal!
And every team in the NBA did under the table deals like the T-Wolves did with the Joe Smith ordeal.But when they were caught, they were punished...severely.

It's a big deal.
Look Andy, I understand, no football and you need something but this story will go away quickly once the league understands what's what. It's a internal bonus system for making plays, every team does it and the League will not be able to hammer the Saints because they will have to hammer 31 other teams. It's a non issue.
Uh no. It's not for "making plays". It's for injuring other guys.And you're totally wrong. They'll make an example of the Saints.

Last edited by a moderator:
And every team in the NBA did under the table deals like the T-Wolves did with the Joe Smith ordeal.But when they were caught, they were punished...severely.It's a big deal.
:lmao: :lmao:The league is going to crush the Saints.

How desperately to these players need an extra $10K that it would be worth knowing they ended another man's career?
Look guys, the money is put in a pool, it's put in by the players, at the end of the year a winner is declared, then they go out to dinner and use the money in the pool for dinner. No one is pocketing money, this a psychological carrot that ALL teams use, ALL TEAMS, to increase performance and make plays. It's a game within the game.

You're delusional, Goodell is going to KILL the Saints. They have 50,000 ####### pages detailing this stuff.You think they have that on 31 other teams? That's why its a big deal. They'll make an example out of them.It might be different if it was just for performance. Its not. Its also for injuries, which is a stance the league HAS to make an example out of, or they'll be branded as hypocrites.

Wrong! The draft will take place and you won't hear another peep of this.

Being a diehard Steeler fan, I BETTER see some VERY LARGE fines/suspensions from Goodell on this one...otherwise everything he has done up to this point has been BS then...

If this is true now, it won't be after Goodell is done making an example out of the Saints.

You're going to be spectacularly wrong over the next month. Should be fun. Your early posts in this thread will be Hippled all offseason.

You're delusional, Goodell is going to KILL the Saints. They have 50,000 ####### pages detailing this stuff.You think they have that on 31 other teams? That's why its a big deal. They'll make an example out of them.It might be different if it was just for performance. Its not. Its also for injuries, which is a stance the league HAS to make an example out of, or they'll be branded as hypocrites.
Just wait and see, I'm telling you guys, youre looking for drama where there will be none.

Yes I forgot there was occasionally fishing over here. I thought you were a myopic Saints fan till I looked at the username. Carry on.

You're going to look like a spectacularly wrong idiot over the next month. Should be fun. Your early posts in this thread will be Hippled all offseason.
Well, I would rather be wrong than a spectacular tool any day.

You're going to look like a spectacularly wrong idiot over the next month. Should be fun. Your early posts in this thread will be Hippled all offseason.
Fair enough. Might have come on a little strong there. But bold statements like those you're making, as if the rest of us are morons for thinking this is a big deal, deserve a strong response.

The other teams might have done it too, but they won't be doing it again once the NFL comes down on the Saints. Message will be heard loud and clear I suspect.

Yes I forgot there was occasionally fishing over here. Carry on.
Who's fishing? I'm seriously telling you the Saints aren't going to lose draft picks. This is a player sponsored activity that happens on all teams. How hard is it to do the math? They won't be able to make an example out of the Saints because every team does it. It's not fishing, you guys are just so hungry for blood every time there is an opportunity.

Is anyone going to take a guess at a punishment? I imagine a large fine(s) are guaranteed, but what about picks?

Fair enough. Might have come on a little strong there. But bold statements like those you're making, as if the rest of us are morons for thinking this is a big deal, deserve a strong response.
I think you making the statement that the League is going to crush the Saints and take away draft picks is more bold than me saying that this is something that has been taking place for decades by all teams.

How desperately to these players need an extra $10K that it would be worth knowing they ended another man's career?
Look guys, the money is put in a pool, it's put in by the players, at the end of the year a winner is declared, then they go out to dinner and use the money in the pool for dinner. No one is pocketing money, this a psychological carrot that ALL teams use, ALL TEAMS, to increase performance and make plays. It's a game within the game.
Saints fan?

The other teams might have done it too, but they won't be doing it again once the NFL comes down on the Saints. Message will be heard loud and clear I suspect.
Yup. Some people said everyone was doing what the Pats were doing and issued penalties. Everyone might have bounties but the Saints got caught and it seems they continued to do so after being told to stop.

Who's fishing? I'm seriously telling you the Saints aren't going to lose draft picks. This is a player sponsored activity that happens on all teams. How hard is it to do the math? They won't be able to make an example out of the Saints because every team does it. It's not fishing, you guys are just so hungry for blood every time there is an opportunity.
I realize you have to be fishing here, but I have to ask:Why in the world would the NFL open and conduct an evidently very extensive investigation if they felt it was no big deal? The only reason they would do an investigation is so they could find out if they are guilty, and if so, punish them.I have no idea what the punishment will or should be but I'd be shocked if they NFL said, "Well, we investigated for a long time and they were breaking the rules egregiously, just like we thought. But every team does it, so no big whoop, everyone carry on!"

Is anyone going to take a guess at a punishment? I imagine a large fine(s) are guaranteed, but what about picks?
I'll take a stab:--Greg Williams suspended for at least a year (don't think it's impossible he's banned from the NFL)--The GM and Peyton suspended for 8 games or a year--Saints lose at least one first, and cap room is reduced as punishment for off-the-books payments--Not sure how the players will be handled since some of them are on other teams now

I'll take a stab:--Greg Williams suspended for at least a year (don't think it's impossible he's banned from the NFL)--The GM and Peyton suspended for 8 games or a year--Saints lose at least one first, and cap room is reduced as punishment for off-the-books payments--Not sure how the players will be handled since some of them are on other teams now
Wow, if this were to happen it would be way beyond any punishment the NFL has ever given out.I think they will punish them, but the above seems really extreme.

Poor Kurt Warner, on the wrong end of both major recent NFL scandals. That hit the Saints delivered on him in the playoffs was his final play for those that don't recall.
This was my first thought upon hearing the news. It's the reason why I was rooting for the Colts in the championship game. Such a dirty team.

The NFL has 50,000 pages of hard evidence. Administered by G.Williams. The money handed out violates the NFL collective bargaining agreement. Evidence that Saints Organization/gm had Knowlege of the bounties. They did nothing to stop it. Multiple problems here. The Saints are going to get nailed.

Wow, if this were to happen it would be way beyond any punishment the NFL has ever given out.I think they will punish them, but the above seems really extreme.
Obviously that's just my guess. But I'd bet a lot of money that whatever it is it's 'extreme.'

Ok.

Uh, harshly punishing one team to stop everybody from doing it is pretty much the text book definition of "making an example out of".

Considering that there have been numerous lawsuits, allegations of covering up head injuries on the league's part, player suicides and dementia, lawsuits from injuries are not a passing fad. Taking that into consideration with the fact that the team was aware of this pool, the hammer will fall and fall hard. I'm not too sure that wdc's list will be fully penalized, but (I think) it's somewhere in the ballpark.

At least the Vikings are in the clear on this thing!! Their defense hasn't come close to anyone in the last couple years, so there would be no evidence against them!!! :bag:

Saints fan?
Not at all. Just a guy living in Los Angeles who is a Ravens fan with 4 family members who work for the NFL and some of their teams, none of them with the Saints.

Pat Kirwan on Twitter:

"There could be lawsuits to follow by players injured in games against the Saints during the 2009-11 seasons.Lawers have been texting me"

Is Roger Goddell "hungry for blood", too?

Saints fan?
Not at all. Just a guy living in Los Angeles who is a Ravens fan with 4 family members who work for the NFL and some of their teams, none of them with the Saints.
Wow I didn't know you have family members who work for nfl teams. That changes everything.

'BusterTBronco said:
The league needs to come down hard on the Saints for this. They basically cheated their way to a superbowl title.
It's pretty bad but I'm not sure if I would go that far.

Saints fan?
Wow I didn't know you have family members who work for nfl teams. That changes everything.
I'm convinced.

Adam Schefter

Washington Post reports Redskins had a bounty system for big hits on opponents under their former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Kiss RGIII goodbye?

Adam SchefterWashington Post reports Redskins had a bounty system for big hits on opponents under their former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.Kiss RGIII goodbye?
Oof. And from followup tweets from some other guys, it sounds like Gregg Williams ran that one too. He really is going to end up with a lifetime ban at this rate.

As a Vikings fan, I've been asking the FBG staff over the past year or so to change the photo of Favre on the front page of the website so I'm not constantly reminded about that NFC championship game. Maybe now they will.

Users who are viewing this thread