What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (2 Viewers)

Not a fan of the Niners but heard an interview with Fred Warner today and that dude is awesome.

He will be on TV when done of he wants.
You're a very bad person :wink:

Yeah, he's an excellent leader as well as an excellent player. Glad they have both him and Greenlaw locked in for a while.
I listen to lots of morning sports talk radio in background so have heard thousands of interviews over the years and his was one of the better ones. Very natural speaker.

Fred Warner: Our time is coming

Link

"I think that we are building the right stuff, I think ever since I've gotten here, Kyle and John have brought in guys who just love the game and are the right type of guys to ultimately get to where we want to go. And it's just that small little inch that we're right there. It's not like we're far off. It's right there and our time is coming".

Several of Warner's teammates have expressed disappointment with how the NFC Championship Game played out. The 49ers feel that if their only two available quarterbacks had remained healthy, they would have had a fighting chance against the Eagles.

How does Warner look at the loss?

"You've got to look at it for what it is," Warner said. "We lost in a weird fashion. Who would have thought that we would have lost our third-string and fourth-string quarterbacks in the most important game of the season, right? And they scored more points than we did at the end of the day, and it sucks. We got punched in the face."

"That's kind of life, and you learn from it, what you can from it, and you move on, and you work hard in the hopes of getting back there. And I know we're going to get to the peak of the mountain at some point soon."

Fred Warner: Our time is coming

Link

"I think that we are building the right stuff, I think ever since I've gotten here, Kyle and John have brought in guys who just love the game and are the right type of guys to ultimately get to where we want to go. And it's just that small little inch that we're right there. It's not like we're far off. It's right there and our time is coming".

Several of Warner's teammates have expressed disappointment with how the NFC Championship Game played out. The 49ers feel that if their only two available quarterbacks had remained healthy, they would have had a fighting chance against the Eagles.

How does Warner look at the loss?

"You've got to look at it for what it is," Warner said. "We lost in a weird fashion. Who would have thought that we would have lost our third-string and fourth-string quarterbacks in the most important game of the season, right? And they scored more points than we did at the end of the day, and it sucks. We got punched in the face."

"That's kind of life, and you learn from it, what you can from it, and you move on, and you work hard in the hopes of getting back there. And I know we're going to get to the peak of the mountain at some point soon."
Love Warner, but the 49ers weren't going to win that game with Josh Johnson. Him getting hurt just made it uglier when the 49ers were forced to play with no QB at all.

Even when they tied it 7-7, it took an absolutely amazing run from CMC to get there. Johnson then proceeded to F the game up by fumbling the snap and then not being able to complete the reasonably simple task of falling on the ball. It was going to take a small miracle to win that game going into the 2nd half down 7, but down 14 completly ended it.

But agree that with Purdy, their chances were excellent, especailly if Kyle hadn't brain locked and thrown the challenge flag on the Smith non-catch

Kyle Shanahan has coached the 5th most regular season games in 49ers history (98).

Only Bill Walsh (152), George Seifert (128), Buck Shaw (114), & **** Nolan (112) have coached more.

Shanahan will pass both Shaw and Nolan in 2023.

Why George Kittle says 49ers need a QB competition between Brock Purdy and Trey Lance​

"I'm not going to say if [Purdy] would have stayed in the entire [NFC Championship Game against the Eagles] that I'm going to guarantee a victory," Kittle told Rich Eisen this week. "I'm confident in my team that we would have won the game. It's not how it happened. It is what it is, and I'll live with that. It is whatever it is. … But I think it's hard just to say, 'Hey, Brock, thank you for the eight games, your 1,300 yards, your three interceptions, and winning eight straight games.' I think it's definitely like a 1A, 1B thing. I think you have to do the competition because they're still both young quarterbacks."

"I still think, well, Trey's going to get all the OTA's reps, right?" Kittle continued. "He's going to get all the spring reps because Brock won't get them. And when we get to training camp, depending where Brock is, like, you don't know if he's going to be ready to go day one in training camp. I hope he is. If not, though, it needs to be a little bit of a competition there. But if you're starting tomorrow, it's hard to say you're going to bench Brock Purdy after what he did this whole season, and that's nothing against Trey."

"Stuff happens, injuries happen," Kittle added. "But I know, Trey, the type of person he is and the work that I've seen him put in, that he's hungry, and all he wants to do is go out there and show why we drafted him at number three. That's all he wants to do, and he has the ability to do that. So we're all rooting for Trey. We want Trey to come out there and get all these reps and to be a great quarterback. So it's going to be a fun competition."

Link

So glad the seasons finally over, and even more glad the Lombardi Trophy is staying in the AFC for now.

On to business.

I think the main 2 areas the 49ers need to address are upgrading both the O-line and D-line.

Bosa needs some help for sure. Our pass rush wasn't nearly as good this season as it was in 2021. Hopefully Drake Jackson can take a step forward next season, and don't forget we have Kalia Davis who was on IR all year. He physically reminds me of DJ Jones. Hopefully he can be DJ Jr and be a run stuffer in the middle. Then sign a few rotational guys like we do every year. Kinlaw needs to be gone, he's a complete waste of a roster spot.

Hopefully they upgrade the right side of the line as well, McGlinchey has his moments but is way too inconsistent and gets beat regularly. I haven't looked at player specific pass pro numbers, and I think our O-line was top 5ish in pass pro, we gave up the 5th fewest sacks in the league, but we need a solid anchor on the right.

Upgrading the trenches is what's gonna put us over the top IMO. Priority #1 and #2.

If we resign Moseley we will be good in the secondary, and I think Gipson comes back. Jimmy Ward is good as gone IMO, maybe Lenior moves to slot corner if Moseley comes back.

I'm wondering what Shanahan is thinking about Eli Mitchell. Dude is made of glass. We've got a full RB room, but dammit let's use all of them next season!!!
This is from one of Barrows's recent articles at the Athletic:

Quarterback pressures

• McGlinchey 36
• Banks 35
• Williams 19
• Burford 18
• Brunskill 14
• Brendel 14
• Moore 8
• Hance 2
• McKivitz 1

So it wasn't just McGlinchey that wasn't great in protection; Banks at LG and the RG rotation (Brunskill and Burford) need to get better as well. At least Banks and Burford are young and improvement should be expected. They really need to bring Brendel back. McGlinchey presents an interesting problem. The team may not be able to afford to bring him back, and there probably aren't going to be any upgrades available in FA in their price range, or in the draft where they are picking. Odds are the situation at RT is worse next year rather than better.

I think we know that one of the team's third round comp picks is going to be used on a RB even though it is the position of least need on the roster.

Users who are viewing this thread