What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (2 Viewers)

Seriously, they should go after Brady at this point. You guys did the one year rental thing with Deion in 94 and he won you a Superbowl. Brady can still do it. Purdy can learn from the GOAT while he recovers.

My younger son has a Jimmy G jersey (gift, I didn’t buy it and he refuses to wear it), Trey Lance jersey (was his go to even after the injury), and recently acquired Brock Purdy jersey.

Based on his track record, about to buy him a Jalen Hurts jersey out of spite :lmao:

Seriously, they should go after Brady at this point. You guys did the one year rental thing with Deion in 94 and he won you a Superbowl. Brady can still do it. Purdy can learn from the GOAT while he recovers.
It was all Deion, he won it with that weak supporting cast backing him up.

Well they couldn't get past the Cowboys for two years straight with that cast. Deion comes to town and they roll.

My younger son has a Jimmy G jersey (gift, I didn’t buy it and he refuses to wear it), Trey Lance jersey (was his go to even after the injury), and recently acquired Brock Purdy jersey.

Based on his track record, about to buy him a Jalen Hurts jersey out of spite :lmao:
Poor kid, maybe try something more replaceable / deeper next like WRs or CBs.

Please don't give him a CMAC jersey - signed, all CMAC dynasty owners

Buying a jersey or anything of any player is tough given how the contracts work/short loyalty can be in the league. Only do it when it is a player you won't mind repping on another team.

Well they couldn't get past the Cowboys for two years straight with that cast. Deion comes to town and they roll.
They signed several guys to fix their defense that year (Ken Norton Jr among them).

Buying a jersey or anything of any player is tough given how the contracts work/short loyalty can be in the league. Only do it when it is a player you won't mind repping on another team.
My last couple have been guys that are already retired, can't change teams now!

My last couple have been guys that are already retired, can't change teams now!
Picked up a Waddle and a Jaycee Horn in the last couple years so just waiting for them to get traded :lol:

Between this and the Eagles thread it’s pretty easy to dislike both fan bases. You both win.
Meh Fair point, but I challenge you to find any other official team thread going into the offseason that has *another* team's name in the thread title, still. There's asking for it and there is doubling down like this and really getting what you are asking for. Last post here, good luck in the offseason Niners! Lot of decisions to be made at the QB position.

They signed several guys to fix their defense that year (Ken Norton Jr among them).
Gary Plummer too. Good match with Norton. Plus drafted the great Bryant Young and grabbed Lee Woodall in the 6th, who ended up starting and playing well. Excellent D

Hopefully he learns the lesson that buying player jerseys is a waste of money that could be put to better uses on things with more value like, investments, college fund, groceries, experiential memories (concerts, travel etc), psychic readings, vape cartridges, starting fires...etc.

DeMeco is officially the head coach of the Texans now. Hate that he’s gone but happy for him. Wish him nothing but the best. They just had a good draft class this past season. Hopefully he can build on it and find some measure of success there.

DeMeco is officially the head coach of the Texans now. Hate that he’s gone but happy for him. Wish him nothing but the best. They just had a good draft class this past season. Hopefully he can build on it and find some measure of success there.
They're pretty loaded draft wise this year too, aren't they.

Just missing a franchise QB.

Certainly a potential landing spot for a Trey Lance move.

I was disappointed that Purdy went out early. Not sold on him as a QB (though I LOVE his poise/moxy!) and was curious to see how he handled the pressure.

Watched the game on delay (was driving home from vacation) and wasn't "live" in the FBG game threads, but was honestly surprised at some of the takes. Philly was lucky with the D Smith no-catch catch, but refs are gonna miss that one 9 times in 10. It looked like a catch until they got to the fifth camera angle. The roughing the punter call I thought live was right, thought it was still right after a replay (didn't see a push...borderline hold though)...but I can absolutely see you guys upset about it. My fellow Eagles fans lose their minds on borderline calls like that too. At the very least it wasn't an egregious call, but was certainly impactful. I didn't see any other calls that were even questionable. What I saw was a 49ers defense that got rattled knowing it was ALL on them, and making a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes. Who knows how it goes if they didn't have ALL the pressure on them to make a play and set up the hobbled offense?

My gut feeling early (when score was still close) was that Philly looked like the better team, the defensive line pressure the Eagles brought was terrific and seemed like it would win the game. But that wasn't going to be a blowout by any stretch. SF has a great team. You guys deserved a better finish after a great season. hard to give credence to the folks yelling that Eaghles are frauds and over-rated, but the difference between these two teams was pretty small. Most likely we see each other a couple more times in big games over the next few years! Chin UP.

Trey Lance will be the starting QB week 1 next year. Purdy is a quality backup though.
this makes the most sense. as an org, the smart thing would be to take both QBs on rookie contracts and beef up the OL and interior DL.

honestly doesn't matter much what QB you have back there with Mcaffrey running the ball.

Trey Lance will be the starting QB week 1 next year. Purdy is a quality backup though.
Unless they get a vet, you have to imagine it'll be an "open competition". But with Purdy sidelined for most of training camp with an injury, I could see them rolling out Trey on week one unless Purdy wows in August (or unless Trey stinks up the joint in camp).

I was disappointed that Purdy went out early. Not sold on him as a QB (though I LOVE his poise/moxy!) and was curious to see how he handled the pressure.

Watched the game on delay (was driving home from vacation) and wasn't "live" in the FBG game threads, but was honestly surprised at some of the takes. Philly was lucky with the D Smith no-catch catch, but refs are gonna miss that one 9 times in 10. It looked like a catch until they got to the fifth camera angle. The roughing the punter call I thought live was right, thought it was still right after a replay (didn't see a push...borderline hold though)...but I can absolutely see you guys upset about it. My fellow Eagles fans lose their minds on borderline calls like that too. At the very least it wasn't an egregious call, but was certainly impactful. I didn't see any other calls that were even questionable. What I saw was a 49ers defense that got rattled knowing it was ALL on them, and making a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes. Who knows how it goes if they didn't have ALL the pressure on them to make a play and set up the hobbled offense?

My gut feeling early (when score was still close) was that Philly looked like the better team, the defensive line pressure the Eagles brought was terrific and seemed like it would win the game. But that wasn't going to be a blowout by any stretch. SF has a great team. You guys deserved a better finish after a great season. hard to give credence to the folks yelling that Eaghles are frauds and over-rated, but the difference between these two teams was pretty small. Most likely we see each other a couple more times in big games over the next few years! Chin UP.
I'm starting to lose track if this is the Eagles or Niners thread but I feel compelled to throw you a compliment. You're far and away the most objective Eagles poster on this forum.

I'm starting to lose track if this is the Eagles or Niners thread but I feel compelled to throw you a compliment. You're far and away the most objective Eagles poster on this forum.
I'm pretty damn objective when sober.

Well, once Purdy went out on the 49ers first offensive series, the Eagles were clearly the better team. Josh Johnson is horrible. Even optimistic Niner homers knew the game was over when Purdy got hurt.

As much as I like Kyle as a coach, still can't believe he didn't challenge the Smith non-catch. Such a huge mistake to not throw the red flag

The Brady to SF talk can finally die!!

Reading reports that Purdy will indeed Tommy John surgery. If that's the case, he will miss all of 2023.

Gonna need a QB2 plan

Reading reports that Purdy will indeed Tommy John surgery. If that's the case, he will miss all of 2023.

Gonna need a QB2 plan
Just Fock

This totally sucks. Love how the kid played and was looking forward to seeing him with a full camp to prepare. Get well Brock

Gonna need a QB2 plan
Just Fock

This totally sucks. Love how the kid played and was looking forward to seeing him with a full camp to prepare. Get well Brock

Hmmmm...tuens out the report about Brock wasn't an actual report, but the opinion of a doctor on Dan Patrick's podcast.

Fingers crossed that he's bot gonna need to go the TJ route

Brady made a huge mistake.

This team wins a Superbowl with him next year even with his age. He could've gone out on top.

Really have no idea what they are going to do. I’m not going to be thrilled if they roll into the season with just Lance given his inexperience and injury issues and Purdy coming off major elbow surgery (and he didn’t have a lot of arm strength to burn, anyway). Feels like they need someone else who can be a credible starter.

I have money on PHi to win the SB.

Hoping I lose that bet. Go Chiefs.
out of curiosity, if the Eagles win the Super Bowl will that validate the Eagles more for you?
Nope.

But Im over it. Was by Monday afternoon. Really couldn't care less who wins. I'll take the $250 if Philly wins, and if Mahomes win Ill be rooting for him to win 6 more to knock Brady out of the #1 spot.

It'd be quite a get if we can snag Fangio for DC.

A lot of people question if he's a good fit since we run a 4-3 and Fangios likes to run a 3-4. Matt Barrows on that:

"There’s been some question as to how Fangio would utilize Nick Bosa since Fangio’s edge rushers typically have been stand-up linebackers. Bosa has made it clear he prefers rushing from a three-point stance as a defensive end. Fangio’s nickel units in San Francisco, however, looked a lot like the 49ers’ current defense — two defensive ends and two defensive tackles — which suggests he wouldn’t have to change much as far as the way the 49ers use their defensive front."

Kyle Shanahan doesn't see Jimmy Garoppolo returning to 49ers, isn't looking to add a veteran starting QB

Speculation swirled recently over the possibility of the 49ers being interested in Tom Brady before he announced his retirement earlier on Wednesday, but it doesn't sound like the team will be doing anything along those lines, even if they need to add more help to the position in the near future.

"I know we have two starters on our team right now that I believe we can win with," Shanahan said. "So when you have that situation, you're not that eager to go looking around."

The obvious fit for the 49ers if they chose to pursue a veteran with starting ability is Garoppolo... But with two young quarterbacks in Purdy and Lance that the team has confidence in along with the likelihood Garoppolo will want to pursue an opportunity to start, Shanahan doesn't envision a situation where Garoppolo would be back with the 49ers in 2023.

"No, I don't see any scenario of that," Shanahan said.

I have money on PHi to win the SB.

Hoping I lose that bet. Go Chiefs.
out of curiosity, if the Eagles win the Super Bowl will that validate the Eagles more for you?
Nope.

But Im over it. Was by Monday afternoon. Really couldn't care less who wins. I'll take the $250 if Philly wins, and if Mahomes win Ill be rooting for him to win 6 more to knock Brady out of the #1 spot.
well, i'm hoping you make some money, and definitely with you on the 2nd one of Mahones knocking Brady off the spot. Not sure if any current players are seeing their career last that long, but i guess we will find out.

Welcome back (again) Jimmy? 🤷‍♂️
I wouldn’t hate him as a cheap depth QB if he could stay healthy, which he can’t. I am curious if his market will be any stronger this year than it was last year.
I think it will be. Shoulder OK. Quite a few teams with crappy QBs. Don't have to give up anything for him.

Nothing to get excited about of course
Perhaps. he also got hurt (again) and was outplayed by Mr. Irrelevant by a significant margin. Dunno.

Welcome back (again) Jimmy? 🤷‍♂️
I wouldn’t hate him as a cheap depth QB if he could stay healthy, which he can’t. I am curious if his market will be any stronger this year than it was last year.
I think it will be. Shoulder OK. Quite a few teams with crappy QBs. Don't have to give up anything for him.

Nothing to get excited about of course
Perhaps. he also got hurt (again) and was outplayed by Mr. Irrelevant by a significant margin. Dunno.
Should have been more specific. It will be stronger than last years non-existent market

Last edited:
Matt Maiocco reporting that it appears Brock is gonna opt for the surgery with the 6 month recovery time.

Not confirmed yet but that's pretty much best case scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread