What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (1 Viewer)

Most playoff games by a 49ers HC:

George Seifert: 15 (10-5)
Bill Walsh: 14 (10-4)
Kyle Shanahan: 9 (6-3)
Jim Harbaugh: 8 (5-3)
Steve Mariucci: 7 (3-4)

Some interesting stuff about Purdys condition/situation/outlook.

Insane that 2 49er backup QBs that became starter after losing Jimmy suffered the same injury.

Purdy will need surgery to repair his ulnar collateral ligament, and the 49ers are optimistic Purdy’s path to recovery could take only six months.

Purdy continued to seek medical opinions the first few days after his opening-series injury on Sunday, and the consistent feedback is that the 23-year-old likely will undergo a repair, general manager John Lynch said Wednesday. However, a UCL replacement, also known as Tommy John surgery, can’t be completely ruled out yet.

The ultimate decision could come mid-operation when the surgeon can closely examine the ligament. Every surgeon will tell you that on every surgery, you need to get in to see exactly.

Dr. Nirav Pandya, a pediatric orthopedic surgeon at UCSF, isn’t surprised by this diagnosis. That Purdy was gingerly throwing the football on the sideline — and later able to throw a handful of wobbly emergency passes once backup Josh Johnson left the game with a concussion — is a good indication that Purdy’s UCL is in decent shape despite the tear. Pandya said he would be shocked if surgeons determined that Purdy needed a UCL replacement.

“He has so much less mileage on his elbow, so that works in his favor,” Pandya said. “He probably has good cartilage and muscles. It’s never a good time for surgery, but the fact it’s during his first year is a good sign.”

If Purdy undergoes a repair, he will likely be able to start throwing a ball again after three months and return to action after six months, “so you have May to August to get back to your mechanics and iron out details,” Pandya said.

Former 49ers backup Nick Mullens is the lone NFL quarterback known to have a torn ulnar collateral ligament repaired with an internal brace. That came after an injury he sustained in the 49ers’ penultimate game of the 2020 season.

Mullens, when reached by the Bay Area News Group, preferred not to detail his surgery or recovery, but did state: “The UCL repair internal brace surgery allowed me to get back on the field faster than Tommy John surgery. I couldn’t afford to miss a whole year with Tommy John so I’m thankful for the internal brace.”

Mullens said he hopes Purdy’s recovery “turns out the same” as his own, adding that it was “fun to watch” Purdy produce eight wins in relief of Garoppolo. Mullens came off the 49ers’ bench in 2018 after injuries to Garoppolo and C.J. Beathard, winning three of his first six starts.

After tearing his UCL on Dec. 20, 2020 in a 49ers loss at Dallas, Mullens was throwing by March 2021, under the guidance of physical therapist Dr. Kevin Wilk of Champion Sports Medicine in Birmingham, Alabama.

Kittles never say die attitude during the NFCCG is everything. You can hear him trying to stay positive but knowing how it's gonna end.

"What am I gonna do, roll over and die easy? Not once in my life. Not once in my life."

😥

Last edited:
Last edited:
Vegas knows what's up. Best odds in the NFC, even better than the current NFC champs. Lol. I bet that HURTS some fans feelings. 😆

At BetMGM, the Kansas City Chiefs (+550), Buffalo Bills (+650), San Francisco 49ers (+700) have the three best odds of winning Super Bowl 58.
Not surprising. Eagles have a lot of key contributors that are Free Agents. No idea which are coming back, but they could lose quite a few. 49ers also have sustained success, you guys are deep in the playoffs every year. Seems like smart money to me?

Vegas knows what's up. Best odds in the NFC, even better than the current NFC champs. Lol. I bet that HURTS some fans feelings. 😆

At BetMGM, the Kansas City Chiefs (+550), Buffalo Bills (+650), San Francisco 49ers (+700) have the three best odds of winning Super Bowl 58.
Not surprising. Eagles have a lot of key contributors that are Free Agents. No idea which are coming back, but they could lose quite a few. 49ers also have sustained success, you guys are deep in the playoffs every year. Seems like smart money to me?
Maybe.

Just found it surprising that a team without a clear or proven QB is favored to win the conference, but I think no matter who starts at QB (Lance or Purdy), they're winning the SB next year as long as they stay relatively healthy at the skill positions.

Out of curiosity, who were the three favorites this time last year?

Out of curiosity, who were the three favorites this time last year?
Bills were big favorites. Tampa, KC, and Rams weren't far behind.

We interviewed Washington defensive backs coach Chris Harris on Jan 31st, and will interview Steve Wilks on Monday Feb 6th for defensive coordinator.

2019: 13-3, Lost Super Bowl (blew 10 pt lead in 4th qtr)
2020: 6-10, Whole roster on IR
2021: 10-6, Lost NFC Championship (dropped easy INT for the win)
2022: 13-4, Lost NFC Championship (played with 4th and 5th string QB)

We've been the steadiest team in the NFC over the last 4 years minus the injured year, but we just haven't been able to close the deal. All the other teams that have played in an NFCCG since 2019 other than the Eagles this year (Packers, Rams, Bucs) have fallen off quick.

Most playoff games played since 2019-2020 season:

Chiefs: 11
49ers: 9
Bills: 8
Benglas: 7
Bucs: 7
Rams: 6
Packers: 5

4 years is a huge SB window, and its not closed yet. Weve had too many missed opportunities. We HAVE to win a Super Bowl next year. It's not an option at this point.

This team could have been a dynasty if not for injuries, bad luck, and questionable coaching decisions here and there.

Last edited:

We've been the steadiest team in the NFC over the last 4 years minus the injured year, but we just haven't been able to close the deal. All the other teams that have played in an NFCCG since 2019 other than the Eagles this year (Packers, Rams, Bucs) have fallen off the map.

4 years is a huge SB window, and its not closed yet. Weve had too many missed opportunities. We HAVE to win a Super Bowl next year. It's not an option at this point.

This team could have been a dynasty if not for injuries, bad luck, and questionable coaching decisions here and there.
Hard to be a dynasty without a top 10 at least type QB

Definitely would have won it in 2019 if Jimmy didn't fall apart in the 4th quarter. All they needed was a couple first downs. 2.3 QBR in the 4th quarter that game.

Tartt drops the worlds easiest INT in the NFC championship game last year. Probably would have ended the game and given the Niners another shot in super bowl.

Purdy goes out on first offensive series this year

Yeah, lot of opportunites for sure. Not sure you can blame the coaching too much in those losses0

We've been the steadiest team in the NFC over the last 4 years minus the injured year, but we just haven't been able to close the deal. All the other teams that have played in an NFCCG since 2019 other than the Eagles this year (Packers, Rams, Bucs) have fallen off the map.

Definitely would have won it in 2019 if Jimmy didn't fall apart in the 4th quarter. All they needed was a couple first downs. 2.3 QBR in the 4th quarter that game.

Tartt drops the worlds easiest INT in the NFC championship game last year. Probably would have ended the game and given the Niners another shot in super bowl.

Yeah, lot of opportunites for sure. Not sure you can blame the coaching too much in those losses0
I'm talking in general over the years Kyle's been there. Lots of times he went too conservative instead of putting his foot on the gas, questionable clock management, strange player usage or lack thereof...even last week not challenging that 4th down catch. He's becoming what Andy Reid was earlier in his career. This year of course had nothing to do woth coaching, it's just the worst luck ever. We were about to make NFL history, and for whatever reason, the football gods said "nope".

We had a good enough of a QB to win the SB in 2019, yeah he missed Sanders on that long bomb and he didn't play great in the postseason in general, but the defense also gave up a big 3rd down play against the Chiefs that would have been a dagger. Blowing a 10 point 4th qtr lead isn't all on Jimmy.

That Tartt INT is gonna haunt us forever. We would have definitely beaten the Bengals IMO.

I don't know how many more years we have before the window starts closing, but its not gonna last forever. If we don't win it all next season this team is gonna go down as just a good team that could never get over the hump, and with the talent on this team, that'd be a real shame.

Fantastic news. Barring a setback, Brock should be full go for training camp. Not eased in, but full go from the get.

Link

The likely outcome of surgery will be a consensus toward Purdy requiring an internal brace, and not the longer recovery required for Tommy John surgery.

That’s the best-case scenario for all parties. That would make Purdy’s timeline for a healthy return just as training camp gets under way.

During his press conference last Tuesday, 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan explained why there would be no need for a ramping up period once Purdy is fully cleared to participate at practice

“That was the coolest thing for me to hear about that once three months is over, they start the rehab of just building the arm back slowly, and by six months it’s built back. And that’s when I started asking questions, does that mean ease him in, like when you think of ACLs and they said, no, the buildups been from three-to-six, and at six months, he is the same dude and full go, so that was the most encouraging part that I heard.”

That’s quite the turn of events from a week ago

49ers' Biggest Cap Hits (2023):

1. Trent Williams, $27.2M
2. Arik Armstead, $23.9M
3. Fred Warner, $18.5M
4. George Kittle, $18.0M
5. Nick Bosa, $17.9M

Williams, Armstead and Kittle were previously restructured, which is why their cap hits are so high.

49ers' 2023 Salary Cap Outlook:

2023 Cap: $224.8M
2023 Adjusted Cap (for SF): $236.3M
2023 49ers' Payroll: $225.3M
--------
2023 Cap Space: $10.95M

Jimmy Garoppolo's 2022 Cap Hit:

Base: $6.5M
Signing Bonus: $1.4M
Workout Bonus: $600k
Per-Game Roster Bonus: $350k
Per-Game Active Bonus: $2.50M
Wins Bonus: $700k
50% Snaps + Playoff Bonus: $500k
---------------
Total Cap Hit: $12.55M

- Akash Anavarathan

49ers QB ranks in 2022:

YPA: 7.9 (4th)
Rating: 102.3 (2nd)
Y/C: 12.0 (5th)
TDs: 30 (4th-T)
TD %: 5.9 (3rd)
INTs: (3rd fewest-T)
Compl: 66% (10th)

- Al Sacco

Lokks like its gonna be Wilks for DC.

Per @RapSheet:

* Steve Wilks and 49ers still interviewing today, expected to be “lengthy”

* 49ers are looking for a veteran coach, want to run same system as 2022

* Lots of mutual interest between 49ers and Wilks

I'm talking in general over the years Kyle's been there. Lots of times he went too conservative instead of putting his foot on the gas, questionable clock management, strange player usage or lack thereof...even last week not challenging that 4th down catch. He's becoming what Andy Reid was earlier in his career. This year of course had nothing to do woth coaching, it's just the worst luck ever. We were about to make NFL history, and for whatever reason, the football gods said "nope".

We had a good enough of a QB to win the SB in 2019, yeah he missed Sanders on that long bomb and he didn't play great in the postseason in general, but the defense also gave up a big 3rd down play against the Chiefs that would have been a dagger. Blowing a 10 point 4th qtr lead isn't all on Jimmy.

That Tartt INT is gonna haunt us forever. We would have definitely beaten the Bengals IMO.

I don't know how many more years we have before the window starts closing, but its not gonna last forever. If we don't win it all next season this team is gonna go down as just a good team that could never get over the hump, and with the talent on this team, that'd be a real shame.
Reminds me of the transition years between Montana and Young.
Missed in 91 (Young injured, couldn't overcome slow start)
92 - lost to Dallas in CG (tougher loss for me as opposed to 93 as the game was at Candlestick)
93 - lost to Dallas in CG
94 - Super Bowl

Hopefully history repeats itself with a Super Bowl win after 2 losses in the CG. The QB situation is the #1, #2 and #3 storyline of the offseason.

Gonna have to disagree with you on the bolded. It was pretty much all on Jimmy. 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. Defense can't hold forever. 2 first downs and they win the game.

Schwartz basically tackled Bosa on the 3rd and 15 play. Would have been a sack and definitely should have been holding. But KC had, wait for it, ZERO holding penalties against the NFLs best pass rush in the super bowl. Thanks Roger

I hope Tashaun Gipson, Sr comes back for another year. He had as many INTs this season (5) as Jimmy Ward has over the past 6 seasons.

Gipson among NFL safeties in 2022:

Missed tackle percentage: 2.9% (#1)
Passer rating allowed: 53.0 (#2)

I hope Tashaun Gipson, Sr comes back for another year. He had as many INTs this season (5) as Jimmy Ward has over the past 6 seasons.

He was very solid, but that's a spot the team could upgrade. They could use someone with more range, especially next to Hufanga.

He was assignment-sound and a good complement for Hufanga and the two have a great relationship. I wouldn't be opposed to them running it back another year. Vet minimum with cap relief contract.
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/4...e-talanoa-hufanga-friendship-offseason-choice

Interesting observation by Rohan Chakravarthi on twitter:

If the 6-month timeline for Brock Purdy began today (most optimistic timeline), he would be ready on August 7th.

That's the LAST week of training camp, and the timeline only gets delayed by the day.

Last edited:
Per @Rapsheet

#49ers QB Brock Purdy will meet with Dr. Keith Meister in Dallas on Feb. 21 and plans to have surgery to repair his torn UCL on the 22nd, sources say. The surgery, set to be done by the respected #Rangers doc, will allow Purdy to make a full recovery & be ready for training camp.

Umm, 6 months from Feb 22nd is Aug 22nd. Last season, their first preseason game was Aug 12th. No way he's ready for camp.

Per Matt Barrows:

Can confirm @RapSheet's report that Brock Purdy will have right elbow ligament repaired Feb. 22. The team has discussed a 6-month timeframe for Purdy to be full go, which would be just as the preseason is ending. Team/Purdy will have a better idea of timeframe after the surgery.

Huge opporrtunity for Lance, who won't have Purdy as competition during camp.

Agreed, however, Lance will still be competing against the standing memory of Purdy, and his success late this season. So even if Lance wins the job, he will constantly be looking over his shoulder and likely playing with a short leash. By default, he will be denied the opportunity to play through mistakes, as most *rookies* are usually afforded.

The theory is Purdy starts his throwing program toward the middle or end of May to early June. Purdy will continue to progress from there.

Based on Mueller’s experience on these repairs, you can be full go by six months. From the date of surgery to Week 1 is six months and 19 days for Purdy.

The best-case scenario for Purdy as of now seems like he’d be ready at the end of the preseason. The 49ers and Purdy will know more or at least have a better idea of Purdy’s timeframe after the surgery.

The theory is Purdy starts his throwing program toward the middle or end of May to early June. Purdy will continue to progress from there.

Based on Mueller’s experience on these repairs, you can be full go by six months. From the date of surgery to Week 1 is six months and 19 days for Purdy.

The best-case scenario for Purdy as of now seems like he’d be ready at the end of the preseason. The 49ers and Purdy will know more or at least have a better idea of Purdy’s timeframe after the surgery.
Excellent

Love Purdy BUT would also love it if Lance plays so well that Purdy is the backup

Kittle: It's Brock's job to lose.

Link

In regards to Lance, Kittle expressed his belief that Lance has the talent, but just hasn't been given a shot yet, given the unfortunate injury that occurred in his first year as a starter.

"Trey Lance is still there, and Trey, unfortunately, has not really gotten a fair shot of being an NFL quarterback yet. You got a full rain-game monsoon versus the Bears and he got hurt in his second game," Kittle said. "You know, Trey's still got plenty of talent. He just needs to get out there and play."

However, Kittle affirmed his stance on the quarterback position, sharing his belief that it's Purdy's job to lose, given the year he had and the circumstances he responded to.

"But, you can't talk about what Brock Purdy did. He's fantastic. Our offense was operating at the highest it's probably been since 2019. So, in my opinion, it's Brock's job to lose. But, there will be competition since Brock will be out till training camp with his surgery, so it's going to be interesting. But, when you find a guy like that [who] can seamlessly jump in, I think it's his job to lose."

Bosa just named AP Defensive Player of the Year.

And it wasn't even close. 1st place votes:

Bosa: 46
Haason Reddick: 2
Quinnen Williams: 1
Chris Jones: 1

Last edited:
DeMeco Ryans named Assistant Coach of the Year.

Ryans earned 35 of the 50 first-place votes for his ACOTY award.

Ben Johnson of the Lions came in second place.

Last edited:
49ers’ QB Brock Purdy earned 6 of the 50 first place votes for OROY and was third in total votes behind only Garrett Wilson and Kenneth Walker.

Think about that. 261 rookies were drafted ahead of Brock Purdy.

Of those 261, only 2 finished ahead of him in the rookie of the year race.

Last edited:
Shanahan finished 2nd for Coach of the Year. Top 3 vote getters:

1. Brian Daboll, Giants: 123 points, 16 first-place votes
2. Kyle Shanahan, 49ers: 100 points, 12 first-place votEs
3.Doug Pederson, Jaguars: 75 points; five first-place votes

Last edited:
Comeback Player of the Year voting. What exactly did Geno smith come back from? Having a bad career? Terrible choice. I'd pick Saquon over Geno, but CMC is the obvious choice here.

Geno Smith: 28
Chhristian McCaffrey: 12
Saquon Barkley: 4
Brandon Graham: 2
Nick Gates: 2
Jared Goff: 1
JJ Watt: 1

Last edited:
Patrick Willis denied the HOF this go-round. It's only a matter of time. Zach Thomas just got in in his 10th year of availability and 4th straight as a finalist.

Zach Thomas:
* 5 First Team All Pro Awards
* 2 Second Team All Pro Awards
* NFL DROY
* 2-time NFL tackle leader
* HOF 2023

Patrick Willis:
* 5 First Team All Pro Awards
* 1 Second Team All Pro Award
* NFL DROY
* 2-time NFL tackle leader
* HOF ????

So Willis will have to wait a bit, but he will get in.

49ers’ QB Brock Purdy earned 6 of the 50 first place votes for OROY and was third in total votes behind only Garrett Wilson and Kenneth Walker.

Think about that. 261 rookies were drafted ahead of Brock Purdy.

Of those 261, only 2 finished ahead of him in the rookie of the year race.

While your point still stands, I suspect about half of those 261 probably had less of a shot than Purdy.

Not a fan of the Niners but heard an interview with Fred Warner today and that dude is awesome.

He will be on TV when done of he wants.

Not a fan of the Niners but heard an interview with Fred Warner today and that dude is awesome.

He will be on TV when done of he wants.
You're a very bad person :wink:

Yeah, he's an excellent leader as well as an excellent player. Glad they have both him and Greenlaw locked in for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread