What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** Aiyuk remains a holdout (21 Viewers)

Apparently eating gummies when you don't do edibles, and then drinking too many IPAs makes me do idiotic things. The wife said at one point last night I was in the backyard calling to or yelling at the football gods. I have zero recollection of this.

No more edibles. Not a fan.
I once peed on my roommate and his girlfriend when they were sleeping. But that was in college after doing 21 shots on my 21st bday. I miss those days.
Trying to educate them on unique subcultures. Golden shower sub Reddit……

This season rides on KS, Purdy and that Dline

None of which i have a ton of faith in right now
Purdy will be fine IMO. Hadn't played in a while and the conditions sucked.

Next week he lights it up in the championship game IMO.

Shanahan worries me more than anything. In those conditions, why didn't Mitchell or Mason get a carry? Mason is a mudder who can wear down DBs, and Mitchell is a nice change of pace while CMC takes a breather.

24 total rushes last night. Kyle seems determined to win on Purdys arm. Let your horses run, guy!!!
Since you weren't watching....

Shanahan is smart enough to know that you don't keep the league MVP on the bench for Mitchell.

This season rides on KS, Purdy and that Dline

None of which i have a ton of faith in right now

Shanahan worries me more than anything. In those conditions, why didn't Mitchell or Mason get a carry? Mason is a mudder who can wear down DBs, and Mitchell is a nice change of pace while CMC takes a breather.

24 total rushes last night. Kyle seems determined to win on Purdys arm. Let your horses run, guy!!!
Since you weren't watching....

Shanahan is smart enough to know that you don't keep the league MVP on the bench for Mitchell.
For sure

surprised at all the die hards melting down.
I think it was just Wingnut and Fantasycurse in this forum.
It's what I do. I get pissed, cuss, lose hope, finger point and talk all sorts of crazy shiz, then the next day I'm fine.

My fandom can't be judged based on my message board posts, it's just an outlet for frustration. In my younger days I'd punch or break something during games. Nowadays I go nuclear online, it's much less expensive and less painful (a broken hand during a game was a good lesson).

Bring on the winner of today's game!

I didn't say keep CMC on the bench, but there are plays when he's not on the field, and instead of having Brock throw it every time, maybe give Mitchell or Mason a carry or two.

When CMC isn't on the field everyone knows a pass is coming.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think that was the scare that will straighten them out. SF is gonna win the SB and it won't be close.

I didn't say keep CMC on the bench, but there are plays when he's not on the field, and instead of having Brock throw it every time, maybe give Mitchell or Mason a carry or two.

Or a run by Jennings :)
About that Jennings carry:

Another strange decision came in the third quarter when wide receiver Jauan Jennings lined up in the backfield and was given a handoff. The carry was the first of Jennings' NFL career and seemed to have come as the result of some confusion, based on Shanahan's explanation of what happened.

"Great question," Shanahan said when asked about the play. "Those are some of the challenges when something goes down and you call a wristband number and forgot to tell them not to say hesi or not to read hesi. But sometimes we just Ron Burgundy our wristbands and then you look up and Jauan's in the backfield and couldn't stop it."

WTF.

Dang it. You beat me to it. :lol:

About that Jennings carry:

Another strange decision came in the third quarter when wide receiver Jauan Jennings lined up in the backfield and was given a handoff. The carry was the first of Jennings' NFL career and seemed to have come as the result of some confusion, based on Shanahan's explanation of what happened.

"Great question," Shanahan said when asked about the play. "Those are some of the challenges when something goes down and you call a wristband number and forgot to tell them not to say hesi or not to read hesi. But sometimes we just Ron Burgundy our wristbands and then you look up and Jauan's in the backfield and couldn't stop it."

WTF.
That’s a great explanation actually

Apparently eating gummies when you don't do edibles, and then drinking too many IPAs makes me do idiotic things. The wife said at one point last night I was in the backyard calling to or yelling at the football gods. I have zero recollection of this.

No more edibles. Not a

No more edibles. Not a fan
Amazing. Do it again, but half the dose

@BassNBrew Sorry for being an a-hole last night. I was pretty hammered but its no excuse. I should probably stop posting during 49er games going forward.

No worries. I probably shouldn't have poked the bear. I'm the guy who thinks if they put CMac in at QB last year vs. Philly when Brock got hurt that they are trying to repeat(ing) this year.

It's what I do. I get pissed, cuss, lose hope, finger point and talk all sorts of crazy shiz, then the next day I'm fine.

My fandom can't be judged based on my message board posts, it's just an outlet for frustration. In my younger days I'd punch or break something during games. Nowadays I go nuclear online, it's much less expensive and less painful (a broken hand during a game was a good lesson).

You also turn off the game at halftime

Lmao it's like Shanahan knew the first play of the 2nd half was always gonna be a handoff to deebo and said **** it. Let's do it with jennings.

You also turn off the game at halftime
I've also been a 49er fan since 1979.

Interesting that the Packers had 1 penalty for 5 yards last night, especially when you look at how much they were pushing after the play all game. And don't get me started on the penalty called on Trent when the GB player flopped. I know Trent is strong, but that was a total joke.

After the Lenoir legal tackle on Jordan Love, #71 going ballistic, pushing multiple players, yet "offsetting" penalties were called. All Gregory did was push a guy away who was getting in his face. Terrible.
Sssshhh. Let's not talk about the multiple times Bosa lined up offsides on the 4th down plays.

Has anyone seen any news on Deebo? Feels to me like he’s a DNP Wed/Thurs/limited Friday and they keep the info ambiguous this week.

“I’m OK,” Samuel told NBC Sports Bay Area after the win as he joked with 49ers teammates in the locker room.

This was a much different scene than when he injured the same shoulder in the 49ers' Week 6 loss to the Cleveland Browns. In the locker room following that Oct. 15 loss, Samuel needed help putting on his jacket after the game because of the injury.

On Saturday, Samuel lifted both of his arms up while pulling his shirt over his head.

It's not much, but at least somewhat of a good sign that he doesn't appear as injured as he was after the Browns game that led to him missing a few games. I think he'll play a limited role this week knowing they've got an extra week to rest him should they make the SB.

The vaunted 49ers D Line with zero sacks.

Defensive Pressures vs. Packers, PFF:

Nick Bosa: 7 (5 QB hits)
Arik Armstead: 5
Chase Young: 3
Javon Hargrave: 3
Javon Kinlaw: 1
Randy Gregory: 1

Young just isn't very good, and I'd trade Bosa for TJ Watt in a heartbeat.
The field had a lot to do with the 0 sacks, IMO.
Probably, but in the last 4 games the 49ers have 0 vs GB, 2 vs LAR, 1 vs WAS, and 2 vs BAL.

In the previous 7 games, they had at least 3 per game. They've fallen off at the worst possible time.
Bosa used to be a one man game wrecker. Now he consistently gets pressure but rarely gets home and isn’t materially disrupting passing games.
I’m rewatching the game and I am noticing Bosa getting a fair amount of QB hits. Young was decent in pure pass situations too if terrible against the run. The lack of rush seems mainly a function of Love getting rid of the ball really quickly. But the line, especially the DTs, also seem more focused on cutting off running lanes for Love rather than singlemindedly hunting for sacks in passing situations. I’m cautiously optimistic everyone will get to pin their ears back and hunt Goff next week.

Jared Goff grew up about an hour north of Levi’s Stadium. Born in Novato, raised in Kentfield, went to Marin Catholic. Wears #16 bc he idolized Joe Montana.

His dad Jerry went to San Rafael hs, College of Marin and Cal-Berkeley. Baseball Catcher who bounced around the minors for 12 years, spent parts of 6 seasons for 3 MLB teams.

Resilience runs in the family.

Probably, but in the last 4 games the 49ers have 0 vs GB, 2 vs LAR, 1 vs WAS, and 2 vs BAL.

In the previous 7 games, they had at least 3 per game. They've fallen off at the worst possible time.
Bosa used to be a one man game wrecker. Now he consistently gets pressure but rarely gets home and isn’t materially disrupting passing games.
I’m rewatching the game and I am noticing Bosa getting a fair amount of QB hits. Young was decent in pure pass situations too if terrible against the run. The lack of rush seems mainly a function of Love getting rid of the ball really quickly. But the line, especially the DTs, also seem more focused on cutting off running lanes for Love rather than singlemindedly hunting for sacks in passing situations. I’m cautiously optimistic everyone will get to pin their ears back and hunt Goff next week.
I didn’t rewatch, but iirc; wasn’t Bosa doubled a bunch of times?

I didn’t rewatch, but iirc; wasn’t Bosa doubled a bunch of times?
I didn’t notice a ton of double teams but I wasn’t watching with that level of detail either. It just stuck out that there were 4-5 times where Bosa beat his guy one on one and hit Love but it was half a second too late. Barrows may have more numbers in his column today.

This seemed so obvious to me during the game, too. The wet/rain really bothered Purdy. I hadn't seen so many of his passes just _miss_ or sail.

One thing that I didn't notice live, is before McCaffrey's first touchdown run, it looks like the TE is supposed to be going in motion. Juszczyk even stands up and calls for him to start his motion but Purdy overrules it and tells him to stay there. The playclock is winding down fast, so I'm not sure if he overrode it because he knew he had to snap the ball soon, didn't want the defense to adjust to the movement because he likes what he saw, but either way, it was an incredible heads up play and amazing awareness. Of course CMC does CMC things on the run which sure helps.

https://youtu.be/XdfRD0ZsMbQ?si=NPwtWfXxLEjlHIUl&t=416 Starts at 7:00 if the link with time doesn't work.

Interesting. I remember a certain Super Bowl where certain fans were told to stop making excuses about the field being a factor in not getting sacks.

Interesting that the Packers had 1 penalty for 5 yards last night, especially when you look at how much they were pushing after the play all game. And don't get me started on the penalty called on Trent when the GB player flopped. I know Trent is strong, but that was a total joke.

After the Lenoir legal tackle on Jordan Love, #71 going ballistic, pushing multiple players, yet "offsetting" penalties were called. All Gregory did was push a guy away who was getting in his face. Terrible.
Sssshhh. Let's not talk about the multiple times Bosa lined up offsides on the 4th down plays.
Or the times GB linemen held him. Keep that on the downlow.

Deommodore Lenoir has a 19.6 passer rating when targeted during his postseason career.

The Hyena is on lockdown.

Shanahan should keep Deebo's status up in the air as long as he can. More than other players, it seems like the offense looks very different depending on whether or not he is in, so might as well make Detroit's game planning more difficult.

Interesting. I remember a certain Super Bowl where certain fans were told to stop making excuses about the field being a factor in not getting sacks.
Well, for one, I wasn’t one of them.

For two, I obviously was not “making excuses” but rather *providing an explanation*.

The wet slippery conditions slow down a pass rush.

The GB OL deserves a lot of credit, as does Love for getting the ball out quickly.

But IMO the sloppy conditions are why SF didn’t get home to sack Love.

Not sure why you’d post something so pointed in response to my post, but you wildly missed the mark.

Last edited:

For two, I obviously was not “making excuses” but rather *providing an explanation*.

The GB OL deserves a lot of credit, as does Love for getting the ball out quickly.

Not sure why you’d post something so pointed in response to my post, but you wildly missed the mark and I don’t appreciate it.
I hear ya and I mean, I can't disagree with the logic. You usually bring that to the table which I appreciate.

Not sure why you’d post something so pointed in response to my post, but you wildly missed the mark and I don’t appreciate it.
I hear ya and I mean, I can't disagree with the logic. You usually bring that to the table which I appreciate.
I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn’t mean to insinuate that I was one of the people making excuses for the Super Bowl field conditions. Since I’m a Niners fan, and not Chiefs or Eagles, it really doesn’t make sense that I would have.

That said, for all of the negativity surrounding the 49ers, after a win, which is kind of weird, it’s worth noting that they made a crucial stop on fourth down, and they did put enough pressure on love to force some bad decisions.

I do believe they will perform significantly better when the field conditions are better. Hopefully Brown starts at safety because he is a significant upgrade.

And with the more dry field, hopefully the players that rely on burst can get to Goff. Expect natural grass to slow down DET run game a little bit, which should also help.

Sunday’s game is going to be won in the trenches, so I guess we’ll see what happens. Go Niners.

Last edited:
Shanahan should keep Deebo's status up in the air as long as he can. More than other players, it seems like the offense looks very different depending on whether or not he is in, so might as well make Detroit's game planning more difficult.
I said upthread what I think will happen.

Wed: DNP
Thurs: DNP
Fri: limited

Questionable

Josh Allen and Brock Purdy both had 39 pass attempts in their divisional games this weekend.

Passes behind the line of scrimmage:
Allen 14
Purdy 4

Completions of 30+ air yards
Purdy 1
Allen 0

Completions of 20+ air yards
Purdy 2
Allen 0

Completions of 10+ air yards
Purdy 5
Allen 2

Completions over 5 air yards
Purdy 7
Allen 2

And because I know it's coming...

Attempts of 10+ air yards
Purdy 11
Allen 7

The dink and dunk narrative is toast.

I know nobody is going to like to hear someone say this, but I think it’s possible we destroy Detroit. I was extremely nervous about GB, even with no Deebo, I’m pretty confident in this one.

They played a very competitive game against a decent Rams team and beat up on a really bad Bucs team. I think they’re flying high and Sunday is the reality check.

ETA: and I think SF comes out playing their top ball of the season.

I know nobody is going to like to hear someone say this, but I think it’s possible we destroy Detroit. I was extremely nervous about GB, even with no Deebo, I’m pretty confident in this one.

They played a very competitive game against a decent Rams team and beat up on a really bad Bucs team. I think they’re flying high and Sunday is the reality check.

ETA: and I think SF comes out playing their top ball of the season.
I think SF wins comfortably, but Purdy and the defense have been inconsistent enough this year where I really don't feel like I know what I'm going to get from them.

Users who are viewing this thread