What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Saturday Night Football on ABC - Lions 11-4 at Cowboys 10-5** (-5.5 , 52) 8:15 (1 Viewer)

And I also don't think the Lions should have gone for 2 points from the 2 yd-line, even that felt reckless IMHO.
But then they had it...and then they didn't and even with a life preserver thrown out in the form of still being able to tie the football game, coach turned his nose up.
I think most teams should go for two in that situation. Detroit was 5.5pt road dogs; their chances in OT were definitely below 50%. Also, Campbell had a play he felt confident in; why not try to win the game right there?

(It's also worth pointing out they had a good play call on the final attempt, although I wasn't thrilled with throwing to the backup TE. Anyway, the guy was open; Goff just underthrew him)

And I also don't think the Lions should have gone for 2 points from the 2 yd-line, even that felt reckless IMHO.
But then they had it...and then they didn't and even with a life preserver thrown out in the form of still being able to tie the football game, coach turned his nose up.
The part that rubbed me the wrong way was many people saying the Lions should have won the game but were cheated out of it. The play that was run was blatantly unfair to both teams.

This is why I chimed in. I google this story and it's hundreds of headlines claiming the refs cost Detroit a win. That's great for clicks, but nonsense really. That play was dead in the water. Had Decker been rightfully declared eligible, maybe Goff sees the Cowboys pointing at him and boxing him into double coverage then audibles, I guess. But that terrible mistake just gave them more chances. I think it helped them. If any of you care enough, watch it again. Watch Kearse and Bell communicate the inside outside coverage on Skipper and tell me you think Detroit had a chance.

Last edited:
Loo at Harbaugh down 20-13 late vs Alabama, he kicks the XP and says let's go to overtime where I can strike back and win this game, Detroit should have done the same
I said the same thing ... but as a joke!

Anyway, the Michigan situation was totally different. There was more than two minutes left in the game, not 23 seconds. So Alabama was going to get a chance to try to win it regardless. Also, Michigan's D had mostly been shutting them down all night (and proceeded to do so on that final regulation drive and in OT) so it was smart to put the game in their hands. I will say, in the moment I wasn't thrilled with taking the game to overtime and potentially having it come down to special teams, but fortunately they didn't factor in the OT.

I think most teams should go for two in that situation.

I agree with this. Respect for Campbell playing to win the game. Too bad he lost his marbles. He might have unnerved his QB a little. Goff made two bad throws afterwards.

But nope. Goff throws a bit outside on a good play call, but Kearse is right there for the stop anyway. Dodged a bullet. Move along.
I have to rewatch that play. My impression seeing it live was that if it had been a good throw that the TE could catch in stride, he walks in to the end zone. Once he had to lean down for it, though, he had no chance because he would have stumbled at like the 1 and Kearse would have been on him

(It's also worth pointing out they had a good play call on the final attempt, although I wasn't thrilled with throwing to the backup TE. Anyway, the guy was open; Goff just underthrew him)

Campbell said today Laporta was the primary, Goff came off him bc Dallas had guessed right on their coverage
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's the third-string TE, right? (Which is why I keep forgetting his name). Brock Wright was out?

I think most teams should go for two in that situation. Detroit was 5.5pt road dogs; their chances in OT were definitely below 50%. Also, Campbell had a play he felt confident in; why not try to win the game right there?

What did you think of Harbaugh kicking it late to send it into Overtime vs Bama?
What a wussy call there, not going for two, right?
You would think a Wolverine would bite a knee cap but not that one.

-I'm trying to lighten this up but it still does not impact or make me feel a bit different about anything I've posted, I hear what you all are saying

Campbell said today Laporta was the primary, Goff came off him bc Dallas had guessed right on their coverage
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's the third-string TE, right? (Which is why I keep forgetting his name). Brock Wright was out?

Yeah Brock did not dress, injured

The part that rubbed me the wrong way was many people saying the Lions should have won the game but were cheated out of it. The play that was run was blatantly unfair to both teams. The play shouldn't have counted, the flag should have been picked up, and DET should have had a do over from the 2-yard line. Lots of things could have happened from that point. DET could have failed on the try and lost, they could have gotten the 2 points and won, or DAL could have gotten into FG range and won with a long FG. But awarding the Lions two points and the victory on an unfair conversion attempt should not have been one of the outcomes under consideration.

THIS!!!

…and also trying to show why the play was a bad idea even if they announced 68. I still don’t get who Campbell thinks he is fooling?

The part that rubbed me the wrong way was many people saying the Lions should have won the game but were cheated out of it. The play that was run was blatantly unfair to both teams. The play shouldn't have counted, the flag should have been picked up, and DET should have had a do over from the 2-yard line. Lots of things could have happened from that point. DET could have failed on the try and lost, they could have gotten the 2 points and won, or DAL could have gotten into FG range and won with a long FG. But awarding the Lions two points and the victory on an unfair conversion attempt should not have been one of the outcomes under consideration.
And you know I never once said Detroit was cheated, that's not in any way how I frame my POV
-The Lions had an opp still to tie the game and opted to not go that route

And you know I never once said Detroit was cheated, that's not in any way how I frame my POV
-The Lions had an opp still to tie the game and opted to not go that route

No, but you seemed to indicate why you could not possibly understand how they ref blew it, despite DC already admitting he was trying trickery and separate players run towards a ref to get 1 player recognized.

What did you think of Harbaugh kicking it late to send it into Overtime vs Bama?
What a wussy call there, not going for two, right?
You would think a Wolverine would bite a knee cap but not that one.

-I'm trying to lighten this up but it still does not impact or make me feel a bit different about anything I've posted, I hear what you all are saying

I addressed that upthread:

But nope. Goff throws a bit outside on a good play call, but Kearse is right there for the stop anyway. Dodged a bullet. Move along.
I have to rewatch that play. My impression seeing it live was that if it had been a good throw that the TE could catch in stride, he walks in to the end zone. Once he had to lean down for it, though, he had no chance because he would have stumbled at like the 1 and Kearse would have been on him
OK, just watched it here. I don't know, would have been very close. Kearse was on (I think) LaPorta and came off him as the ball was thrown. Probably would have been one of those bang-bang plays where if Mitchell has enough momentum, he could have gotten across the line (or maybe sprinted to the pylon), but it's also possible Kearse would have stoned him a la Dre Greenlaw

OK, just watched it here. I don't know, would have been very close. Kearse was on (I think) LaPorta and came off him as the ball was thrown. Probably would have been one of those bang-bang plays where if Mitchell has enough momentum, he could have gotten across the line (or maybe sprinted to the pylon), but it's also possible Kearse would have stoned him a la Dre Greenlaw

I just watched it again, thanks.

I framed my comments from my perspective both in real-time and as a Cowboys a fan. That's how I felt. I s'pose a better pass a little earlier and Detroit wins. But just reading Bobby reporting LaPorta was the first option and watching it again, pretty doubtful it could have been earlier, just better. I'll take Kearse in that spot gladly. You're right tho, could have gone either way.

I'm a Cowboys fan, but I'm old and a little ambivalent about sports these days. I usually wait for someone else to make some point I agree with and just keep my mouth shut, but here's how it felt from my perspective.

The ref screwed up, of course. I don't care if Detroit was or wasn't trying to confuse things with an extra body or two near the ref. The ref who declared Skipper eligible should be fired. I can't blame the whole crew for that. It is clear as day Decker is reporting and kind of clear the ref was too something (stupid, lazy, confused, incompetent, corrupt, exhausted), and just blew the announcement. Should be fired. Too much on the line for that mistake.

BUT... as soon as I saw the replay it felt like Dallas got screwed. Seriously, and again my perspective, as a Dallas fan in real time. Here's why. In all the commotion, I was paying attention to the D on the replays. They were having nothing of the tackle eligible idea. Bell and Kearse were communicating, pointing to Skipper, who they were told was eligible and boxing him in. He had no chance. Had Decker been properly announced, he had no chance. It would have been Bell and Wilson boxing him in. Maybe, just maybe, Goff goes through progressions and finds a second option. But that is not how the play was designed. It was roll right, turn and throw left to the tricky eligible guy. The way Decker ran his route? No way that play works. Game over. Dallas wins.

So now what? They have to defend the conversion attempt twice? Fine. They should have already won if not for the ref, but wth, at least it's at the 7 for the bogus extra play. So the Lion's run another easy to stop play. Bell intercepts it. Whew, justice, but we all saw Parsons go offsides. Wth. Three shots at this, just great. I shake my head and laugh. Dallas is screwed by this nonsense ending. Detroit gonna win this - my thinking in real time. But nope. Goff throws a bit outside on a good play call, but Kearse is right there for the stop anyway. Dodged a bullet. Move along.
And yet nobody wants to hear this. Detroit fans and Dallas haters say the refs snatched victory from Detroit. Nothing else matters 😆

Also, I don't want Detroit to play Dallas again. Campbell will have them breathing fire. No thanks, haha.
As a Lions fan, I feel the same way. As much as I would have loved to come away from the game with Detroit having HFA for a potential rematch, if it does come to pass I would like Detroit's chances. That's the difference between a Campbell and a McCarthy (and trust me, we've had a lifetime of sub-McCarthy level coaching, so I know whereof I speak)

Users who are viewing this thread