What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Saturday Night Football on ABC - Lions 11-4 at Cowboys 10-5** (-5.5 , 52) 8:15 (1 Viewer)

-I'm only asking because it will really sour me for future games. This cannot happen under any circumstances the way you described it. If I were Goodell I would launch an enitire investigation into it behind the scenes with the same fervor he's shown for other problems like Inflate-Gate and the event that triggered pink shoes and wristbands(it wasn't breast cancer)

...it's not because I had money riding on this game but I am left very bitter after having so much fun earlier and just letting it go as an NFL fan for once.
:tumbleweed:
Sounds like these Refs might be suspended the rest of the season

I’m mostly over the penalty at this point. I think the ref had brain lock and assumed that, since 70 had been eligible before, he was again. That’s a huge and unforgivable screwup. But once they announced 70, I’m not sure what they could have done to make it right. To not call the penalty would have been unfair to Dallas. And yes, maybe they would have sniffed the play out if they had known Decker was eligible

This is my take as well. Allen see’s 70 and he’s reported a bunch already. 68 was not aggressive enough getting recognized.

To mitigate this risk, you only send 68 over.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I believe this is why they explained it to the refs pregame

It still provides 0 strategic value sending 3 guys over. The ref still has to tell Dallas who reported LOL.

I honestly wish Allen got it right and we got to see the real play unfold with Dallas knowing 68 was eligible.

I think it’s a dumb call on so many levels imo.

Dallas was on 70 and actively pointing and they prepped for this very play we learned from Cowboys D players post game.
This. It’s crazy that people aren’t also able to see this situation from the perspective of the Dallas D. The refs told them #70 was eligible. Why would they even bother to watch #68? Of course he was wide open. Basic common sense.

Did the refs botch this? Absolutely.

Did the Lions deserve better from the refs? Absolutely.

Would the play have worked as planned if Dallas knew #68 was eligible. No way to know for sure — I consider it unlikely.

Should Detroit have been penalized on the play? Nope. Refs hosed it and should have corrected the error by replaying it - no penalty - simply a do over. That was the only fair outcome once the screw up happened.

That the refs doubled down on their stupidity by penalizing the Lions makes it even worse IMO.

But again, Lions fans who say “68 was wide open and caught the conversion, we got robbed” are willfully missing this from the Cowboys viewpoint (which is fine by me; as a Packer fan I hate the Cowboys).

I’m mostly over the penalty at this point. I think the ref had brain lock and assumed that, since 70 had been eligible before, he was again. That’s a huge and unforgivable screwup. But once they announced 70, I’m not sure what they could have done to make it right. To not call the penalty would have been unfair to Dallas. And yes, maybe they would have sniffed the play out if they had known Decker was eligible

This is my take as well. Allen see’s 70 and he’s reported a bunch already. 68 was not aggressive enough getting recognized.

To mitigate this risk, you only send 68 over.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I believe this is why they explained it to the refs pregame

It still provides 0 strategic value sending 3 guys over. The ref still has to tell Dallas who reported LOL.

I honestly wish Allen got it right and we got to see the real play unfold with Dallas knowing 68 was eligible.

I think it’s a dumb call on so many levels imo.

Dallas was on 70 and actively pointing and they prepped for this very play we learned from Cowboys D players post game.
This. It’s crazy that people aren’t also able to see this situation from the perspective of the Dallas D. The refs told them #70 was eligible. Why would they even bother to watch #68? Of course he was wide open. Basic common sense.

Did the refs botch this? Absolutely.

Did the Lions deserve better from the refs? Absolutely.

Would the play have worked as planned if Dallas knew #68 was eligible. No way to know for sure — I consider it unlikely.

Should Detroit have been penalized on the play? Nope. Refs hosed it and should have corrected the error by replaying it - no penalty - simply a do over. That was the only fair outcome once the screw up happened.

That the refs doubled down on their stupidity by penalizing the Lions makes it even worse IMO.

But again, Lions fans who say “68 was wide open and caught the conversion, we got robbed” are willfully missing this from the Cowboys viewpoint (which is fine by me; as a Packer fan I hate the Cowboys).
Yes, this 100%. Even I can agree with a cheese head.😁
The refs screwed both teams in this game with total incompetence. The tripping call on Hendershot negating a 7 yard run was even worse! Clearly it was on Lions DE and that alone would have ended the game. Lions fans aren’t discussing that though 🤔

The refs screwed both teams in this game with total incompetence. The tripping call on Hendershot negating a 7 yard run was even worse! Clearly it was on Lions DE and that alone would have ended the game. Lions fans aren’t discussing that though 🤔
Completely ignoring that it happened is more like it

The tripping call was bad, no question. But that is an in-game mistakes. Bad calls happen every single game. But comparing it to the refs botching the reporting eligible play is ridiculous.

The latter was so egregious that the NFL demoted the officiating crew out of the playoffs. That's the difference.

Last edited:
The tripping call was bad, no question. But that is an in-game mistakes. Bad calls happen every single game. But comparing it to the refs botching the reporting eligible play is ridiculous.

The latter was so egregious that the NFL demoted the officiating crew out of the playoffs. That's the difference.
Do you think without the phantom tripping the lions would get the ball back?

No. But you're missing the point. That is during a play at game speed and those mistakes happen every game to varying degrees. I am not denying that it wasn't a factor. The difference is refs don't get demoted from the playoffs the day after for an in-game mistakes.

No. But you're missing the point. That is during a play at game speed and those mistakes happen every game to varying degrees. I am not denying that it wasn't a factor. The difference is refs don't get demoted from the playoffs the day after for an in-game mistakes.

It is impossie to play what-ifs scenarios because so many things could have happened. But we know with 100 percent certainty that last flag took the go ahead points off the board.

It is impossie to play what-ifs scenarios because so many things could have happened. But we know with 100 percent certainty that last flag took the go ahead points off the board.
Was 70 open on that play? If they would’ve announced 68 is eligible do you know he would’ve been open?
Not sure how you can say the Lions would’ve won if he would’ve been announced as eligible but you seem to be saying exactly that, aren’t you?

Was 70 open on that play? If they would’ve announced 68 is eligible do you know he would’ve been open?
Not sure how you can say the Lions would’ve won if he would’ve been announced as eligible but you seem to be saying exactly that, aren’t you?
This isn't about whether the Lions would have won or lost. It's about an egregious mistake that the ref made. It's inexcusable.

Also, 70 was blocking on that play.

Refs screwed up, but Dallas was the overwhelmingly likely winner if the game had been officiated perfectly.

Without them getting the wrong team on the tripping penalty, LMAO, it probably was over right there. If not, much less time would’ve been on the clock. And the chances the trick play would’ve worked was less than 50% had the Cowboys been notified of 68. They had been working on Tackle eligible plays all week in practice.

Campbell made some controversial decisions, but you do that when you’re outmanned. The real culprit for the Lions is Goff (the sooner you guys replace him with Hooker, the better). Detroit is one of the better up & coming teams in the league, but let’s stop the nonsense about how the refs cost them the game.

Just read two things:

1. one the NFL is not making changes and concluded the lions were trying to play cute
2. it did go over the loud speaker to the stadium so why the heck wouldn't someone on the lions correct it?

Just read two things:

1. one the NFL is not making changes and concluded the lions were trying to play cute
2. it did go over the loud speaker to the stadium so why the heck wouldn't someone on the lions correct it?
T.J. Lang was on local radio. He was on the sidelines and did not hear the ref announce it.

As for number 1, the ref needs to pay attention instead of being lazy and assuming something.

The fact that the NFL isn't going to make any changes to the way players report is an absolute joke.

Just read two things:

T.J. Lang was on local radio. He was on the sidelines and did not hear the ref announce it.

clearly says it twice that #70 is eligible

Just read two things:

Clearly to the TV audience but it was loud on the field.

Just read two things:

As for number 1, the ref needs to pay attention instead of being lazy and assuming something.

The fact that the NFL isn't going to make any changes to the way players report is an absolute joke.
Someone posted a link to a tweet upthread where you could clearly hear them announce 70 was eligible

ETA: @kface beat me to it

Just read two things:

Clearly to the TV audience but it was loud on the field.

Are you honestly saying that people couldn't hear that over the loudspeaker? He said it twice...there is zero reason why someone on the lions shouldn't have picked that up and corrected him

Are you honestly saying that people couldn't hear that over the loudspeaker? He said it twice...there is zero reason why someone on the lions shouldn't have picked that up and corrected him
That's exactly what I'm saying. If it can be clearly heard on the field why would the ref have to tell the defense something that they could clearly hear over the loudspeaker?

That's exactly what I'm saying. If it can be clearly heard on the field why would the ref have to tell the defense something that they could clearly hear over the loudspeaker?
Because that is standard protocol for them to do it.

There is no excuse here for the lions. They tried to be cute and followed that up by not paying attention

There is no excuse here for the lions. They tried to be cute and followed that up by not paying attention
The Lions did exactly what they were supposed to do. The being cute doesn't matter unless the ref is lazy and not paying attention to detail. He made an assumption instead of focusing on the details.

The Lions did exactly what they were supposed to do. The being cute doesn't matter unless the ref is lazy and not paying attention to detail. He made an assumption instead of focusing on the details.

Or they confused him because they were being cute. They bear some responsibility here especially becaues you don't know what was said on the field. Did the ref make a mistake - he might of. Did the lions players lie about what was said - entirely possible. They were cute and they got caught...that's on them.

And then they had every chance to correct it and chose not to...again on them

I do wonder what a team in the Lions’ situation is supposed to do if they hear the refs announce the wrong number. They had no timeouts, and given that Goff got the snap with two seconds left it’s not even clear they had time to audible to a different play

No, it's not on the Lions for trying to "be cute." That kind of deception is to done to fool the defense, and is done all the time (numerous ex-coaches and ex-players have said this). It's just too bad for them that the officials were stupid and didn't pay attention.

I do wonder what a team in the Lions’ situation is supposed to do if they hear the refs announce the wrong number. They had no timeouts, and given that Goff got the snap with two seconds left it’s not even clear they had time to audible to a different play

While the clock isn't showing the lions hadn't even huddled up when it was announced over the loud speaker. Seems to me they had plenty of time

No, it's not on the Lions for trying to "be cute." That kind of deception is to done to fool the defense, and is done all the time (numerous ex-coaches and ex-players have said this). It's just too bad for them that the officials were stupid and didn't pay attention.

It was announced over the loud speaker...clearly the lions are the ones that didn't pay attention

And maybe the deception was just too good. You play fire you get burnt sometimes.

Apparently the ref crew did something wrong, NFL downgraded them to the non playoff list.
Well they made that horrible call on the tripping penalty and a couple of other mistakes. As well if you read the articles they weren't downgraded because of this specific game per se but a number of poor performances over many games.

Apparently the ref crew did something wrong, NFL downgraded them to the non playoff list.
Yep. Anyone blaming anyone but the officials at this point has lost the plot.

You can believe anything you like. I hate the cowboys. Officiating is awful this year it appears but this is not a case of that. They tried to be cute, screwed up (and the ref may have screwed up as well), had a chance to rectify it and didn't

A lot of noise quite frankly.

You can believe anything you like. I hate the cowboys. Officiating is awful this year it appears but this is not a case of that. They tried to be cute, screwed up (and the ref may have screwed up as well), had a chance to rectify it and didn't

The ref "may" have screwed up? Yeah, the plot and you are not in the same stratosphere.

The ref "may" have screwed up? Yeah, the plot and you are not in the same stratosphere.

You know you can disagree with someone without being a jerk about it. If you can't debate like an adult that's on you

You know you can disagree with someone without being a jerk about it. If you can't debate like an adult that's on you
The NFL demoted the crew because of how they botched this, Yes, previous bad calls/games had a hand in it, but this game being the straw is a clear indication that they **** the bed, and the NFL knows it.

So, by saying the ref "may" have screwed up, it comes off like you are still trying to blame anyone but the officials. If I am being a jerk by pointing out how off base you appear to be based off the facts and the way the NFL has reacted, so be it.

The NFL demoted the crew because of how they botched this, Yes, previous bad calls/games had a hand in it, but this game being the straw is a clear indication that they **** the bed, and the NFL knows it.

So, by saying the ref "may" have screwed up, it comes off like you are still trying to blame anyone but the officials. If I am being a jerk by pointing out how off base you appear to be based off the facts and the way the NFL has reacted, so be it.

If you can't see how your response is a jerk response and super snarky then I'm glad I don't know you in real life

They were demoted for a period of poor performance and in the articles i read they make specific reference to the end of the game and the tripping penalty they got wrong

I have and continue to admit that the ref may have screwed up royally which is completely in the realm of possibility. But we don't know what was said and we do know the lions had plenty of time after they announced it to correct it.

I just don't have to be a jerk to make my point. That's my interpretation and that interpretation is shared by others including Peter King this morning. Nobody will ever know the truth of what happened on the field. You're pretending like you do.

While the clock isn't showing the lions hadn't even huddled up when it was announced over the loud speaker. Seems to me they had plenty of time
OK, so let’s say they heard it as they’re about to huddle. What do they do? Correct the ref, which risks tipping off the D? Run the play to 70 instead, even though he didn’t practice it? Throw out the entire play and run something else?

It just seems like such a monumental screwup on the part of the refs that leaves the team with no good options. Seems like there should be a better ways to communicate that info that doesn’t present such a big risk

OK, so let’s say they heard it as they’re about to huddle. What do they do? Correct the ref, which risks tipping off the D? Run the play to 70 instead, even though he didn’t practice it? Throw out the entire play and run something else?

It just seems like such a monumental screwup on the part of the refs that leaves the team with no good options. Seems like there should be a better ways to communicate that info that doesn’t present such a big risk

I don't know why goff running 5 feet to the ref to correct it to 70 seems so cumbersome to you? They have to declare it anyway so the element of surprise isn't any different had it gone their way from the beginning. Clearly when they declare number 70 then dallas gears up to cover him. Had it been 68 at the start then they would have geared up to cover him. If they changed it they would have changed their coverage from 70 to 68. It's all the same stuff.

This isn't about whether the Lions would have won or lost. It's about an egregious mistake that the ref made. It's inexcusable.

And now the NFL seems to be doubling down and trying to blame the Lions. Really pathetic. The NFL is speaking out of both sides of their mouth and just looking worse.

100% agree, this has nothing to do with the Dallas Cowboys at this point, purely NFL-Goodell-Refs-Integrity of the game vs gambling, lot of moving pieces here

They got a do over and failed to kick an extra point and go to overtime. That's on the Lions too. Then they got another do-over and failed on the 2 point attempt - so they deservedly lost the game. End of story.

OK, so let’s say they heard it as they’re about to huddle. What do they do? Correct the ref, which risks tipping off the D?
Yes?

You still haven't answered what the Lions could have done to correct it. They had a whopping 2 seconds of extra time.

No they didn't...they announced who it was before the lions even went into their huddle. They had plenty of time and the ref was right there. Watch the video

OK, so let’s say they heard it as they’re about to huddle. What do they do? Correct the ref, which risks tipping off the D?
Yes?

You still haven't answered what the Lions could have done to correct it. They had a whopping 2 seconds of extra time.

when the ref makes the announcement the lions aren’t even in the huddle yet. Why do you keep saying 2 seconds?
Have you watched the video in this link?

Yes?

No they didn't...they announced who it was before the lions even went into their huddle. They had plenty of time and the ref was right there. Watch the video
Right? Idk if he refuses to watch the video or is just choosing to completely ignore it

Refs screwed up, but Dallas was the overwhelmingly likely winner if the game had been officiated perfectly.

Without them getting the wrong team on the tripping penalty, LMAO, it probably was over right there. If not, much less time would’ve been on the clock. And the chances the trick play would’ve worked was less than 50% had the Cowboys been notified of 68. They had been working on Tackle eligible plays all week in practice.

Campbell made some controversial decisions, but you do that when you’re outmanned. The real culprit for the Lions is Goff (the sooner you guys replace him with Hooker, the better). Detroit is one of the better up & coming teams in the league, but let’s stop the nonsense about how the refs cost them the game.
It doesn't matter for Dallas either. Their next home loss will be the first playoff game.

It doesn't matter for Dallas either. Their next home loss will be the first playoff game.
And that’s whatever. That has nothing to do with the lions fans making **** up

Users who are viewing this thread