What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Saturday Night Football on ABC - Lions 11-4 at Cowboys 10-5** (-5.5 , 52) 8:15 (1 Viewer)

The Lions failed a 2 point conversion to win the game THREEE TIMES!!!! Plus, there was time left for Dak to get Aubrey in field goal range to win the game, he can make it from 60. You guys act like the Lions got robbed of a win. They didn't earn the win. Their little trickery to try and confuse Dallas confused the refs and they failed to recognize it. Dallas covered #70 and all other receivers.

Last edited:
The Refs blew it.
Justice would be a playoff rematch so The Lions can make it right.
We know Mike and the gang will choke in a playoff game.

I’m on vacation so I’m going to bed in a minute and waking up refreshed in paradise tomorrow morning but if I told you before the game that there would be a controversial ending, 100% of us here would have known which team was going to be on the wrong side of that call. I don’t know what it is, but we all know.
Dez Bryant says thanks.
Dez was only in position to have that catch taken away from him because the refs screwed the Lions the previous week by mysteriously picking up a DPI flag.

(OK, not exactly. Lions made plenty of mistakes in that game that cost them as well. But the disappearing flag definitely contributed)
And plus the Dez call was correct based on the horrible precedent set by.....Calvin Johnson.

The NFL covered for the horrible call against Calvin, leading to an asinine interpretation of the rule.

Even with the stupid catch rules - Dez caught it. Plain and simply.

Detroit caught a bad break (if the ref screwed up), but again Dallas would have been equally screwed by allowing an unannounced eligible player catch the ball. Since they clearly point at 70 and leave 68 alone.

One is not like the other imo.
Is Dallas your team? You seem to have difficulty in accepting that the Dallas win was aided by a referee blunder. It's OK.

As Lomas Brown (13 yr OL) pointed out last night, the procedure is simple. You catch the ref’s eye - or walk toward him until he sees you - then put both hands on your numbers and swipe down. Often no words are exchanged.

Eye contact, point/swipe, nod, ref tells defense & announces on the PA who is eligible.

#68 swiped, twice. #70 did not.

Brad Allen assumed. It had been #70 all night, he had a brain lock.

This is what happened. Anyone who says that the ref acknowledged #68, pointed at #68 or nodded at #68 is not correct. He was staring at #70 the entire time. Every nod, point and acknowledgement was for #70, not #68. It was an error by the referee, with contributory negligence from the Lions.
I agree. Number 68 should have noticed that the ref wasn't actually looking at him, but just looking past him. He then should have grabbed the refs head with both hands and directed it towards the number on his jersey exclaiming "68 is the eligible receiver, not 70. Do you understand".

It looks like Decker reported on replay.
Rob job

The NFL has a very serious problem.
I mean if you want to go zapruder film the Hendershot/Hutchinson trip that wasn't would have had this game over. The refs I honestly think got the players backwards and meant to call it the other way and maybe mixed the names up. Only explanation I have

They never did show a replay of this. Straight to commercial for the 2 minute warning. Thought that was bad work by the TV crew.

So really, the focus should be on this mistake by the refs. I didn't have control of the remote so couldn't back it up but this was an egregious call and a giant mistake by the TV crew not to show it again. There was no trip. Anywhere. By any Cowboy. 15 yards called for nothing. Horrible.

I no longer care about the ending of the game. Cowboys won this fair and square. This tripping call was a larger problem. Not sure how anybody on either side can disagree.

And really, if Lions' fans are being honest, they have to accept that the 2 point call on #68 was a makeup for the call on #89. It should never have come down to this at all.

Case closed. Good game marred by incompetent officiating. May they meet again with a different crew.

It looks like Decker reported on replay.
Rob job

The NFL has a very serious problem.
I mean if you want to go zapruder film the Hendershot/Hutchinson trip that wasn't would have had this game over. The refs I honestly think got the players backwards and meant to call it the other way and maybe mixed the names up. Only explanation I have

They never did show a replay of this. Straight to commercial for the 2 minute warning. Thought that was bad work by the TV crew.
Ya, I didn’t want bring it up in here….but that was a serious phantom penalty. Total joke

How do they correct it. Play clock is running down. No time outs. Goff hiked the ball with less than 2 seconds on the play clock. In what universe is the correctable by the Lions?
When the ref announced which player was eligible, and Goff noticed it, there was only 2 secs left on the play clock?

How do they correct it. Play clock is running down. No time outs. Goff hiked the ball with less than 2 seconds on the play clock. In what universe is the correctable by the Lions?
When the ref announced which player was eligible, and Goff noticed it, there was only 2 secs left on the play clock?

The ref went to the defense and told them. I do not believe it was anything that Goff could have heard. Sometimes they announce it over the PA but it is not required. Goff did not say he heard anything. But even if Goff did hear it on the PA, there was nothing he could do as the play clock was running down. Yes, he did hike it around 2 seconds.

As has been mentioned, Goff did not hear the ref announce anything. It looks like the ref just turned to the defense and announced it to them. The ref crew just got demoted from working the playoffs for this blunder.
It is OK to accept that your team caught a break to win the game. It is still a win. These things happen. I am not sure why some Dallas fans and Detroit haters need to use the 'yeah, but..." to try and legitimize this. No need to legitimize. Dallas won. And the refs made a horrendously bad call.

As has been mentioned, Goff did not hear the ref announce anything. It looks like the ref just turned to the defense and announced it to them. The ref crew just got demoted from working the playoffs for this blunder.
It is OK to accept that your team caught a break to win the game. It is still a win. These things happen. I am not sure why some Dallas fans and Detroit haters need to use the 'yeah, but..." to try and legitimize this. No need to legitimize. Dallas won. And the refs made a horrendously bad call.

Given how many times that type of event has caused the Cowboys to lose a game I will take the ref assisted win with a giant smile.

So the refs announced to the entire stadium that 70 was eligible but it’s their fault?

Seems to me that the Lions tried to be deceptive and it bit them in the ***.
Huh? Is this schtick?

Are you saying that the ref's aren't at fault and Detroit is at fault for trying to be cute?

You do know that the NFL just severely punished this crew?

So the refs announced to the entire stadium that 70 was eligible but it’s their fault?

Huh? Is this schtick?

Are you saying that the ref's aren't at fault and Detroit is at fault for trying to be cute?

You do know that the NFL just severely punished this crew?

I think I’m saying that I don’t care.

Cowboys with the Dub.

So the refs announced to the entire stadium at 68 was eligible but it’s their fault?

Have you read anything in this thread? Both statements are false.

I meant 70. Have I read the thread? Yes.

Am I emotionally charged over the topic? Not one bit.

Good luck with that energy.

I am not at all emotional. The idea that Detroit was using deceptiin is stupidity that keeps getting repeated. All they did was try to get 68 to report as eligible and the ref screwed it up. It is a ridiculous point.

If the ref doesn’t announce it how does the defense know? Seems like that wouldn’t be fair
True but also can you even hear those announcements in that situation? Could Decker have possible recognized he didn’t get called eligible?
Usually you can hear them on TV.

From the video I've seen, I will admit it LOOKS like he reported, he also says he reported. That said, it looks like the Lions created their own confusion by having three linemen around the ref. I also believe the ref got confused by all three players surrounding him. I place some of the blame on Decker, by not making sure the ref heard him.

Secondly, if Campbell wasn't so pig headedly stubborn, he would have trusted his team in OT. It's his fault they lost out on their chance at the #1 seed.

Given how many times that type of event has caused the Cowboys to lose a game I will take the ref assisted win with a giant smile.

You know you are speaking to the Lions. You can't play that card here.

I’m on vacation so I’m going to bed in a minute and waking up refreshed in paradise tomorrow morning but if I told you before the game that there would be a controversial ending, 100% of us here would have known which team was going to be on the wrong side of that call. I don’t know what it is, but we all know.
Are you intentionally ignoring the Tripping call that was called wrong just prior to this sequence? Should have been called on Hutch but was called on Dallas?

You know you are speaking to the Lions. You can't play that card here.

The Lions are hopeless. The Cowboys are constantly teetering on giving you hope only for Lucy to pull the ball out at the last second.

Are you intentionally ignoring the Tripping call that was called wrong just prior to this sequence? Should have been called on Hutch but was called on Dallas?

Speaking of Hutch. That guy is a giant toolbag.

Lions fan here. I definitely raised an eyebrow when they went for it from the 7, but honestly, the result didn’t matter all that much. I think it was much more about MCDC challenging his team for the playoffs than it was winning this one game.

In any event, they had the right play call for the final attempt. Goff just underthrew him.

In fact, the other key plays of the game (CeeDee TD and Goff’s second INT) were also ones where they had the right play call and didn’t execute. They know what they need to clean up for the playoffs
So you don't care that they had a chance at the #1 seed?

I’m mostly over the penalty at this point. I think the ref had brain lock and assumed that, since 70 had been eligible before, he was again. That’s a huge and unforgivable screwup. But once they announced 70, I’m not sure what they could have done to make it right. To not call the penalty would have been unfair to Dallas. And yes, maybe they would have sniffed the play out if they had known Decker was eligible

This is my take as well. Allen see’s 70 and he’s reported a bunch already. 68 was not aggressive enough getting recognized.

To mitigate this risk, you only send 68 over.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I believe this is why they explained it to the refs pregame

It still provides 0 strategic value sending 3 guys over. The ref still has to tell Dallas who reported LOL.

I honestly wish Allen got it right and we got to see the real play unfold with Dallas knowing 68 was eligible.

I think it’s a dumb call on so many levels imo.

Dallas was on 70 and actively pointing and they prepped for this very play we learned from Cowboys D players post game.

Dez Bryant says thanks.
Dez was only in position to have that catch taken away from him because the refs screwed the Lions the previous week by mysteriously picking up a DPI flag.

(OK, not exactly. Lions made plenty of mistakes in that game that cost them as well. But the disappearing flag definitely contributed)
And plus the Dez call was correct based on the horrible precedent set by.....Calvin Johnson.

The NFL covered for the horrible call against Calvin, leading to an asinine interpretation of the rule.

Detroit caught a bad break (if the ref screwed up), but again Dallas would have been equally screwed by allowing an unannounced eligible player catch the ball. Since they clearly point at 70 and leave 68 alone.

Is Dallas your team? You seem to have difficulty in accepting that the Dallas win was aided by a referee blunder. It's OK.

Yes, I am.

You fail to understand all aspects of the play. You are over focused one part.

“Detroit haters” lmao

When a player reports as eligible the Refs announce it to both teams before the play is run. Ref did not announce 68 as eligible. Detroit hiked it and threw it to him. That's an ineligible player touching the ball. Penalty. They did get another chance to attempt an extra point or go for 2. That's on Detroit, most notably the center and Goff.

No, the ref made a mistake. It us on the ref. The Lions did not have a timeout to correct it. They had a play called, they even told the refs before the game exactly what they were going to run. The ref screwed it up. Goff hiked the ball with like 2 seconds left on the play clock. Even if Goff recognized they misannounced it, he did not have time to do anything different. Tell me what the players are suppose to do? Take a delay of game penalty? That was his only option and he only had a few seconds to process this unique momumental screw up. It is on Goff? Get out of here with that non-sense.
This is on the Lions for causing all the confusion with the ref. Again, they had three players around the ref, one was reporting while another ran in to not report? WTF? And why was the third OL (58) there as well? They wanted to confuse the Cowboys? OK, but they confused the most important player, the ref.

Don’t players usually signal to the official that they’re reporting as eligible by rubbing their hand across their jersey number a bunch of times or did I dream that?
Yes, decker (#68) did that multiple times. #70 never did.
This is where the ref screwed things up. He just assumed it was #70 reporting again from earlier in the game when it was #68 this time. The players and the coach did their job. The refs did not.

That’s why sending 3 guys over to try to trick Dallas is beyond dumb. The ref announced the eligible player. He clearly announced 70. Detroit should have corrected. Goff even admitted this.

And stop the non-sense narrative about three Lions. Penei just happened to be there and only Deckard pointed to his jersey and recieved acknowledgement. It was 100 percent on the ref.
This is either the booze talking or your head is in the sand

When a player reports as eligible the Refs announce it to both teams before the play is run. Ref did not announce 68 as eligible. Detroit hiked it and threw it to him. That's an ineligible player touching the ball. Penalty. They did get another chance to attempt an extra point or go for 2. That's on Detroit, most notably the center and Goff.

No, the ref made a mistake. It us on the ref. The Lions did not have a timeout to correct it. They had a play called, they even told the refs before the game exactly what they were going to run. The ref screwed it up. Goff hiked the ball with like 2 seconds left on the play clock. Even if Goff recognized they misannounced it, he did not have time to do anything different. Tell me what the players are suppose to do? Take a delay of game penalty? That was his only option and he only had a few seconds to process this unique momumental screw up. It is on Goff? Get out of here with that non-sense.
This is on the Lions for causing all the confusion with the ref. Again, they had three players around the ref, one was reporting while another ran in to not report? WTF? And why was the third OL (58) there as well? They wanted to confuse the Cowboys? OK, but they confused the most important player, the ref.
It’s as if they didn’t go over this with the ref pregame

Dez Bryant says thanks.

What about the Lions being aided by the Tripping blunder? Just not accepting that one?

So the refs announced to the entire stadium at 68 was eligible but it’s their fault?

Have you read anything in this thread? Both statements are false.

I meant 70. Have I read the thread? Yes.

Am I emotionally charged over the topic? Not one bit.

Good luck with that energy.

I am not at all emotional. The idea that Detroit was using deceptiin is stupidity that keeps getting repeated. All they did was try to get 68 to report as eligible and the ref screwed it up. It is a ridiculous point.
Come on man, you're just being obtuse.

Does that really matter? He still has to report. How can the ref know if they might have changed their mind?

Does that really matter? He still has to report. How can the ref know if they might have changed their mind?
Are you being intentionally obtuse. He did report. The ref crew was demoted. They messed up and even the league office agrees.

Don’t players usually signal to the official that they’re reporting as eligible by rubbing their hand across their jersey number a bunch of times or did I dream that?
This is where the ref screwed things up. He just assumed it was #70 reporting again from earlier in the game when it was #68 this time. The players and the coach did their job. The refs did not.

That’s why sending 3 guys over to try to trick Dallas is beyond dumb. The ref announced the eligible player. He clearly announced 70. Detroit should have corrected. Goff even admitted this.

And stop the non-sense narrative about three Lions. Penei just happened to be there and only Deckard pointed to his jersey and recieved acknowledgement. It was 100 percent on the ref.
So you are just being a snarky troll....got it.

Different guy, guy.

Resorting to name calling - classic.

By actively listening. The ref channeled Angel Hernandez and assumed Skipper-70- who was reporting during the game reported again.

Only you think it's trolling. I'm stating facts, you are making presumptions. You want to be that guy, I'm not going there.

By actively listening. The ref channeled Angel Hernandez and assumed Skipper-70- who was reporting during the game reported again.
I can see that for sure, however it's on the Lions for causing all the confusion with the three players around the ref.

Different guy, guy.

Resorting to name calling - classic.

He lies, calls me drunk and has no ideas of the facts.

You are 100 percent clueless on the rules. All the player has to do is swipe down his jersey to report eligible. It is the ref's job to take in the signal and report it to the defense. Only 68 was swiping down on his jersey. You must believe the ref is a complete idiot if he can not tell which player was swiping down their number. "Oh it is so confusing!!!!!" They are trained refs. If that is too much to handle, they have no business being a ref. It is pathetic to defend such incompetence.

Lions fan here. I definitely raised an eyebrow when they went for it from the 7, but honestly, the result didn’t matter all that much. I think it was much more about MCDC challenging his team for the playoffs than it was winning this one game.

In any event, they had the right play call for the final attempt. Goff just underthrew him.

In fact, the other key plays of the game (CeeDee TD and Goff’s second INT) were also ones where they had the right play call and didn’t execute. They know what they need to clean up for the playoffs
So you don't care that they had a chance at the #1 seed?
Of course they had a chance, but not a very good one

Users who are viewing this thread