What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seahawks Michael Bennett threatened by police (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Police threatened to blow his head off

While attending the Floyd Mayweather–Conor McGregor fight in Las Vegas, Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett said he was targeted and assaulted by police officers.

In a post on Twitter, the 6-foot-4, 274 pound NFL star wrote after hearing gunshots on the street, he and several other people around him ran.

Bennett wrote he was stopped by Las Vegas police, forced on the ground, handcuffed, had guns pointed at his head and was verbally assaulted by police officers.

“The officers excessive force was unbearable. I felt helpless as I lay on the ground handcuff facing the real time threat of being killed,” Bennett wrote. “All I could think of was ‘I’m going to die for no other reason than I am black and my skin color is somehow a threat.’ My life flashed before my eyes and I thought of my girls. ‘What if I ever see them again?’ ”

Bennett wrote he kept asking the officers what he had done, but they ignored his concerns.

Once Bennett's identity was confirmed, he was released, but “without any legitimate justification for the officers abusive conduct.”

Bennett wrote he has retained Oakland civil rights attorney John Burris to investigate explore his legal options. Bennett also wrote he will be filing a civil rights lawsuit for the violation of his constitutional rights.

Bennett is one of several NFL stars that embraced last seasons’ National Anthem protest to call attention to police brutality and racism led by former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. 

Bennett wrote his personal experience in Las Vegas confirms why he is participating in these protests and that there is a problem in America that cannot be denied.

“The fact is unequivocally, without question why before every game, I sit during the National Anthem– because the quality doesn't live in this country and no matter how much money you make what job title you have, or how much you give, when you are seen as a (explicative), you will be treated that way.”

His letter on Twitter here

Sign of the times. I was just finding out about this story via a tweet from Ian Rapoport and Eagles beat writer Geoff Mosher.

The mentions in both of their tweets reporting this story was disturbing.  Hard to find any support for Bennett through the replies calling him a race baiter, liar and people saying they would not follow these  people on twitter if they kept "pushing" this kind of story.

I just hope everyone doesn't rush to judgement to back-up what they want this story to be (good luck with that)...if the Cops are out-of-line they should be punished accordingly...if bullets are flying and he fits the description of a suspect then they shouldn't be...it would be nice to find out all the facts before anyone makes up their mind what happened here which is almost impossible in today's world...

I just hope everyone doesn't rush to judgement to back-up what they want this story to be (good luck with that)...if the Cops are out-of-line they should be punished accordingly...if bullets are flying and he fits the description of a suspect then they shouldn't be...it would be nice to find out all the facts before anyone makes up their mind what happened here which is almost impossible in today's world...
It sounds like they have had ample opportunity to explain why he was treated in such a manner, and even apologize. It's on the police dept now.

Are folks really so encased in their small worlds (that terrible but true reality of white priviledge) that they don't realize this happens far, far too often to men of color in this nation of ours?

But yeah, we should be angry at Kaepernick for pointing it out.  Such insolent, small world selfishness.

Nevada enacted a bill that all police officers wear body cameras, but that doesn't take effect until next year.  I think most LVPD wear them already though.  If there is footage, hopefully they release it asap so there are no misunderstandings.

I wonder if there is video of it, bodycams on the officers maybe?
There has to be video. Its vegas. Cameras everywhere. 

I am a little skeptical. Having been in vegas during a couple mayweather fights i can say that picking out a guy just for being black is pretty much impossible. Its like saying you got singled out for being black at Florida A&M. 

But i have also seen an incident where i thought vegas police overreacted quite a bit so I will wait for video. 

I'm just glad I'm not in law enforcement and none of my kids are showing interest. I believe there are a lot of good cops and some bad apples. These people see a lot of bad stuff every day. They also have to deal with a lot of crappy people. I know if I had to do that job I would have a tough time staying professional at all times. Being a cop has to be one of the most under paid occupations in this country.  They could offer to double my salary I make today and it would be an easy no.

I'm not sure how many 6'4" 275 lb bearded black men in flannel there are on the Vegas strip, but I find it unlikely that was the description of the suspect.

I agree. And police departments have nobody to blame but themselves because they protect themselves over the people we pay them to protect. 
Have you not gotten the memo that cops protecting themselves is more important than protecting the community that they serve?

I say that as somebody whose brother was a cop for 30 years.

It sounds like they have had ample opportunity to explain why he was treated in such a manner, and even apologize. It's on the police dept now.

Are folks really so encased in their small worlds (that terrible but true reality of white priviledge) that they don't realize this happens far, far too often to men of color in this nation of ours?

But yeah, we should be angry at Kaepernick for pointing it out.  Such insolent, small world selfishness.
Do we really have to bring up Kaep? The guy is terrible now. That is why he is not on a team.

I'm not sure how many 6'4" 275 lb bearded black men in flannel there are on the Vegas strip, but I find it unlikely that was the description of the suspect.
In addition, the lawyer's statement says that it was resolved that there were no gun shots. So, I find it hard for the police to have a suspect description. 

Where did I say it didn't happen...please point that out...I said wait for the facts then take action...is that really such a foreign concept in today's world...

Where did I say it didn't happen...please point that out...I said wait for the facts then take action...is that really such a foreign concept in today's world...
Boston, apologies if my comment sounded as if directed toward you... it was more an aside, in that we should as a nation recognize that racial profiling (and a lot worse) is, sadly, commonplace in many jurisdictions. Did not mean to imply that toward you, just a general comment / verbal sigh.

In addition, the lawyer's statement says that it was resolved that there were no gun shots. So, I find it hard for the police to have a suspect description. 
Even Bennett thought there were gunshots (In a post on Twitter, the 6-foot-4, 274 pound NFL star wrote after hearing gunshots on the street, he and several other people around him ran.)  This argument has no bearing on the event.  If the police believe shots were fired, do you want them to first get confirmation before acting on it?  

Of course they will protect themselves first. That should be a given.  
If Police are in legitimate danger, from a perp, then yes, they have the right to defend themselves. However, Police have historically (not so much anymore) recognized that they assume tremendous responsibility when putting on the uniform, and part of that responsibility is the risks associated with protecting the public, even if it means walking into harms way, or putting yourself at risk so as to protect others.

Sadly, it's been turned where if/when cops feel threatened, they have overarching rights to self defense, as if they were some regular schmo on the street.  They are not, and by nature of their (difficult, important and to be respected) line of duty, have to at times take a less aggressive approach, even at risk to themselves, until/unless justified to do otherwise.

He really should get flagged for "unnecessary use of 'don't you know who I am?!'"

Very few people would recognize Michael Bennett.

Boston, apologies if my comment sounded as if directed toward you... it was more an aside, in that we should as a nation recognize that racial profiling (and a lot worse) is, sadly, commonplace in many jurisdictions. Did not mean to imply that toward you, just a general comment / verbal sigh.
OK...sorry I took it that way...I just hate how in today's society there is such a rush to comment on incidents we don't have the facts on...more often then not it is done to back-up a narrative one believes in (not directing at you)...the downside is tensions go from A-Z immediately and once that happens there is usually no turning back...  

Even Bennett thought there were gunshots (In a post on Twitter, the 6-foot-4, 274 pound NFL star wrote after hearing gunshots on the street, he and several other people around him ran.)  This argument has no bearing on the event.  If the police believe shots were fired, do you want them to first get confirmation before acting on it?  
They could have explained it to him at the scene... or if not prudent to do so, reached out after.  This, to me, may be about communication as much as anything else.  If an innocent mistake/identification offered, so be it - then come clean, don't look to CYA and shut your collective mouths but do what is best for the community and for the individuals that you may have overreached upon.

They could have explained it to him at the scene... or if not prudent to do so, reached out after.  This, to me, may be about communication as much as anything else.  If an innocent mistake/identification offered, so be it - then come clean, don't look to CYA and shut your collective mouths but do what is best for the community and for the individuals that you may have overreached upon.
This is certainly true. It would have softened it somewhat had they simply said "here's why we arrested you in the manner we did Mr. Bennett".

Do we really have to bring up Kaep? The guy is terrible now. That is why he is not on a team.
I never said he should be on a team. 

I said it's insolent, selfish and of a small world view to ostracize and continually criticize his peaceful and non-intrusive mode of protest.. a protest that is based upon the very realities that Bennett had to deal with, per this thread.

My point is what happened to Bennett is and should be no surprise, it's an endemic issue across our nation and this is but another example (most we just don't hear about because no one cares about some random black kid who has his civil rights threatened, or worse, by the police)

I'm not sure where you got that from my post.  I was responding to the suggestion that Bennett may have matched the description of the suspected shooter.  Since there was no shooter, I don't think that is a likely explanation.

I don't disagree with you on this.  Practically speaking, communication was definitely lacking.  Even if they still felt the situation was dangerous, a blanket statement wouldn't have been out of hand.  

Of course, I have no idea what police practices are in LV.  Perhaps due to liability issues they have standing orders not to explain themselves.  

OK...sorry I took it that way...I just hate how in today's society there is such a rush to comment on incidents we don't have the facts on...more often then not it is done to back-up a narrative one believes in (not directing at you)...the downside is tensions go from A-Z immediately and once that happens there is usually no turning back...  
I agree on everything you said - but would add that it's just as foolish to ignore the long historical context of black men being harassed, misidentified and worse far, far too often

I'm not sure where you got that from my post.  I was responding to the suggestion that Bennett may have matched the description of the suspected shooter.  Since there was no shooter, I don't think that is a likely explanation.
Why not? Even Bennett said people were running because they thought they heard gun shots. Is it that hard to believe that someone running by a cop could have pointed in his direction and the cop took action on that?

I got it from your statement.  "In addition, the lawyer's statement says that it was resolved that there were no gun shots. So, I find it hard for the police to have a suspect description."

You again say there was no shooter.  I am stating that the police didn't know that at the time as even Bennett indicated that he believed there were gunshots.  The police have to go on the assumption that there were shots and in the heat of the moment, there is typically a lot of finger pointing.  Someone hears a shot to their left and sees someone looking suspicious, they are more likely to think that person did the shooting.  

In his statement he talks about them figuring out that he wasn't a thug but rather a famous guy. They wouldn't know that as he's walking down the street. 
I took his statement to be that they finally released him after that.  He didn't play that card.  He's saying that to mean, who knows how long he would have been held if he was just a regular joe?!  He's saying he got lucky he was a famous guy.  He's saying even though he's a famous guy, because he's big and black they viewed him as a thug.  That's a problem.

At least, that's how I interpreted it.

This is certainly true. It would have softened it somewhat had they simply said "here's why we arrested you in the manner we did Mr. Bennett".
At this point that's the only thing I can be (mostly) confident was the big mistake here.  But communication is so important especially with a sensitive issue like this. 

At this point that's the only thing I can be (mostly) confident was the big mistake here.  But communication is so important especially with a sensitive issue like this. 
It is especially interesting in that they let him go once they found out who he was.  That would lend itself to them wanting to explain themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread