What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Self checkout (1 Viewer)

Tip yourself $5 if the system didn't tell you to put something in the bag that was already in the bag. 
I will intentionally take my three items and get in line behind somebody with a full cart just to get a real human not have to hear that stupid ####. I hate the self checkout. Always a terrible experience for me.

Haven't thought much about it, but what's the point of that check that's done to ensure that you put what you scan in the bag?   Ftr, I love self check out.

TOTAL BULLSHART SYSTEM.

I'm not your employee #### bag Kroger (and almost every other major chain). 

Maybe I can start slicing my own deli meats too if you're trying to save money and targeting your employee's most incompetent skill sets.

Yeah, I'll never understand why people don't like it.
Don't like it? Some people act like it's a nut shot. I look at the horrific collection dysfunctional human failures they call cashiers and when I see self check out, I practically hear angels sing.

TOTAL BULLSHART SYSTEM.

Maybe I can start slicing my own deli meats too if you're trying to save money and targeting your employee's most incompetent skill sets.
You're doing it wrong. I fill the shopping cart online at Kroger the night before.  Pull in to the parking lot and call them.  They bring everything out, load it in the trunk, swipe my credit card, and I'm on my way without stepping foot in the store. No tipping allowed. 

TOTAL BULLSHART SYSTEM.

I think it sounds cool to use the deli meat slicer.  Sign me up! 

You're doing it wrong. I fill the shopping cart online at Kroger the night before.  Pull in to the parking lot and call them.  They bring everything out, load it in the trunk, swipe my credit card, and I'm on my way without stepping foot in the store. No tipping allowed. 
You tip them anyway!

/DD

No.  I like grocery shopping, its relaxing.  I like to cook and I like to get the stuff that I want to cook.  

I have my podcasts/music and earbuds and don't rush.  Of course there are plenty of times I need to run in for a couple of things.  I just resent the idea of jacking around as a cashier and bagging.  Its not that I am "too good" for it, I'm not their GD employee.  And don't get me started with the amount of times the machine screws up. 

Those hand held self scanners dominate self checkout and utterly destroy human checkout.

Except for when you get audited at checkout.  Then I feel like kicking puppies.

Sam's here has a stupid new self-checkout policy that you have to transfer everything to a new cart.

Now, I try to treat people and employees well everywhere I go, but I have to be honest.....when I roll that flatbead cart to checkout, fully loaded with every item meticulously placed on it so that I can scan every item without having to touch a thing, and an employee informs me that I'll now have to transfer it all, I turn into a little bit of an #######.

When I am at Sam's, I am always in a massive hurry (they are only open when the restaurant is, except Sunday, when I'm desperately trying to get in and out right at 10AM before the place becomes a madhouse of idiots looking for free samples). The only saving grace is that I can get in and out of self-checkout faster than any human on the planet.

Then this one employee (only one enforces it) wants me to transfer every ####### thing? I can't help but turn into an ####### for a minute. I don't berate her or anything, just my utter contempt at this situation just becomes very apparent. I know she's a nice person just doing her job, but it just kills me.

I spend over $40,000/year at that damn place, they already have 2 people checking self-checkout tickets on the way out, and I have/would never steal anything (I don't need that bad karma). #######it woman, just let me scan this #### and go.

Sorry for the rant. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than loading everything barcode up, ready to scan, the other most important self-checkout skill is quickly analyzing the other patrons in line, so that you can quickly pick the correct lane.

When choosing a self-checkout lane, it's no time to be politically correct The stakes are too high. You've got to be able to identify the biggest idiot(s) of the bunch, otherwise you'll be stuck behind someone that takes 3 hours to scan 5 things then gets utterly confused about the entire payment process.

I still have a long way to go honing my skill here. No amount of pre-judgement here is foolproof. Sometimes betting on a young person can still #### you, and the occasional old fogey will fly through like a champ. 

Last edited by a moderator:
NutterButter said:
What about it?
Maybe I didn't understand what you were asking but at my store you put the basket with all your stuff down on one side. It takes the weight, then as you pick something up it makes sure you put it on the bag side. If the weight doesn't match it stops the whole process and flags the main attendant person. I assume it's so you don't steal / not scan things.

I don't mind the self serve thing if I have just a few things and not much produce. It seems to get hung up about fairly often for some reason or another when I use it which is semi-annoying.

Self checkout was great.

Then they rolled out an app where I could scan stuff with my phone while I was shopping, and then basically walk out when I'm done.  Even better. 

Now we just order everything online and go pick it up. :shrug:

They deliver, too, but it's an extra $15 or something.  I can't justify that for the few minutes it takes to go pick them up myself, but at some point I'll probably get lazy enough to pay for it.  

Binky The Doormat said:
TOTAL BULLSHART SYSTEM.

Nope. I think it's an AWESOME SYSTEM. Love it.

Doctor Detroit said:
@ctsu, the new leading FBG cheapskate.  Jim 11 is gonna be :hot:  
I strongly believe in tipping when appropriate. I don't mind dropping $5 for a $10 bill if a server did the same amount of work as they would on a $50 bill. I'll also tip anyone I believe isn't being compensated adequately for their labor but I don't tip solely based on society's customs.

Totally depends on the place.  We have a Tops grocery store nearby whose machines used to drive me crazy.  Now I have them figured out pretty well, but you still have to scan the item, put it in the bag, and then wait for a beep letting you know the weight matches okay before you even think about scanning the next item.  If you do scan the next one too early, it gets mad at you causes all sorts of problems.  

Wegmans, however, has much better machines (not surprising).  You just mow through your stuff and get out of there.  They also have separate machines for I think 7 items or under so you don't get behind someone with a whole cart that's trying to figure out how it all works.

I end up getting the feeling that Tops just doesn't trust their customers as much as Wegmans does.  Maybe that feeling is also from the fact that whenever I answer them that they don't need to put my gallon of milk in a bag, they stick one of those bright neon orange "PAID" stickers on it.  Yeah, I'm paying for all this other stuff and stealing some milk. F you.  I'd rather have the bag instead.

SIDA! said:
I will intentionally take my three items and get in line behind somebody with a full cart just to get a real human not have to hear that stupid ####. I hate the self checkout. Always a terrible experience for me.
It's really not that complicated.

I got in line a couple of weeks ago with the wife (stopped there before picking up kids). We had a full cart and so I looked for the shortest line and went there. I then look and realize that the cashier was an elderly woman. So, now I realize why the line was shorter, everyone else was going to the other lines betting she would take longer. I look at my wife and she is whispering that we should go to the self check out lane (the long full size ones not the express) and I agreed but I felt bad.... so I stayed.... yea, it took much longer than everyone else and she asked me three separate times if I found everything and if I had any coupons. :lmao:  It would have been 1/10 of the time if we had just gone to the self checkout.

We've started using Peapod.  It's a third-party service that works with our local chain.  You go to the Peapod website, order your groceries, bill your credit card amd reserve your pickup time.

You then drive to the grocery store and the kid goes over your list and let's you know if anything was out of stock or if they sustituted anything (maybe you ordered the generic and it was out of stock, so they substituted the exact same thing in a name brand....rarely happens, though).  Since I paid online, though, I don't even need to take off my seatbelt to get my wallet and give them my card.  It costs  $2.95 each trip for the service.

I absolutely love it.  Saves us time and it's incredibly easy.

We've started using Peapod.  It's a third-party service that works with our local chain.  You go to the Peapod website, order your groceries, bill your credit card amd reserve your pickup time.

You then drive to the grocery store and the kid goes over your list and let's you know if anything was out of stock or if they sustituted anything (maybe you ordered the generic and it was out of stock, so they substituted the exact same thing in a name brand....rarely happens, though).  Since I paid online, though, I don't even need to take off my seatbelt to get my wallet and give them my card.  It costs  $2.95 each trip for the service.

I gotta believe they're equally happy to have you not in their store.

Self checkout was great.

Then they rolled out an app where I could scan stuff with my phone while I was shopping, and then basically walk out when I'm done.  Even better. 

Now we just order everything online and go pick it up. :shrug:

They deliver, too, but it's an extra $15 or something.  I can't justify that for the few minutes it takes to go pick them up myself, but at some point I'll probably get lazy enough to pay for it.  
One must really put forth effort to not enjoy life nowadays.

Seems great for things that come pre-packaged, not so great for fresh produce and meat.

Maybe I didn't understand what you were asking but at my store you put the basket with all your stuff down on one side. It takes the weight, then as you pick something up it makes sure you put it on the bag side. If the weight doesn't match it stops the whole process and flags the main attendant person. I assume it's so you don't steal / not scan things.
:lmao:

No, it doesn't weigh your basket to do a before and after comparison. When you scan an item, the computer knows how much it should weigh when you place it in the bagging area. Otherwise you could pick up a can of corn and a prime rib roast at the same time, scan the corn, and put them both in the bag.

No, it doesn't weigh your basket to do a before and after comparison. When you scan an item, the computer knows how much it should weigh when you place it in the bagging area. Otherwise you could pick up a can of corn and a prime rib roast at the same time, scan the corn, and put them both in the bag.
Or you could scan a gallon of milk and put only the prime rib roast in the bag.

Look at the criminal mastermind here!

Don't like it? Some people act like it's a nut shot. I look at the horrific collection dysfunctional human failures they call cashiers and when I see self check out, I practically hear angels sing.
One of the Food Lions near me almost always has a hot 20ish year old girl with extremely tight pants working the register. I never use self checkout there. Not sure they even have it. Off to Food Lion. :D

One of the Food Lions near me almost always has a hot 20ish year old girl with extremely tight pants working the register. I never use self checkout there. Not sure they even have it. Off to Food Lion. :D
This, how I get my inner homer on by checking out the part time cashiers! :D

Users who are viewing this thread