What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you usually use the self-checkout at the grocery store? (1 Viewer)

Do you usually use the self-checkout at the grocery store?

• Yes

Votes: 163 72.1%
  • No

Votes: 63 27.9%

• Total voters
I’ve realized from all these What’s Normal polls that I don’t put nearly as much thought in to my life as others. I’m apparently a drooling moron living life on autopilot or haphazardly - I can’t figure out which.
terrific callback to the internal monologue thread

Good point but I do have an internal monologue- I guess my internal monologue doesn’t care about several of these things - I find them interesting that people do care or have strong opinions and on some of them I do. However, I don’t care which way the toilet paper rolls, don’t care if I use hot or cold water to brush my teeth, will use or not use self checkout with no rhyme or reason to when.
same. the microanalysis of every decision is too stressful. too much wasted energy.
I wasn't under the impression people are sitting here thinking about these things at every turn. Many of these I had to think what I actually do or are just so ingrained second nature they aren't even a thought :shrug:

I’ve realized from all these What’s Normal polls that I don’t put nearly as much thought in to my life as others. I’m apparently a drooling moron living life on autopilot or haphazardly - I can’t figure out which.

Good point but I do have an internal monologue- I guess my internal monologue doesn’t care about several of these things - I find them interesting that people do care or have strong opinions and on some of them I do. However, I don’t care which way the toilet paper rolls, don’t care if I use hot or cold water to brush my teeth, will use or not use self checkout with no rhyme or reason to when.
same. the microanalysis of every decision is too stressful. too much wasted energy.
I wasn't under the impression people are sitting here thinking about these things at every turn. Many of these I had to think what I actually do or are just so ingrained second nature they aren't even a thought :shrug:

Its not how people vote but It’s more the people that seemed to be really opinionated about the people voting the other way.

Its not how people vote but It’s more the people that seemed to be really opinionated about the people voting the other way.
I think it’s mostly just to provoke discussion. WouLd be a lot more dull if everyone agreed, or was indifferent.

Personally, I don’t care much about many of these topics. Except golf, which truly is the worst.

Last edited:

I think it’s mostly just to provoke discussion. WouLd a lot more dull if everyone agreed, or was indifferent.

Personally, I don’t care much about many of these topics. Except golf, which truly is the worst.

Ball golf?

But self-checkouts don't just exist for the sole purpose of increasing corporate profits. They are also highly convenient for consumers.

Question: If you have the option of a self-checkout with no one in line or a clerk-assisted checkout with no one in line, which one is more convenient?
Self-checkout... 100%
Same. First, because I would never anticipate the no line thing at the regular checkout since it almost never happens, so I wouldn't have brought my reusable bags in. Without those, the clerk isn't bagging my stuff anyway, so I'd be taking the items out of my cart, putting them on the belt and then putting them back into my cart after the clerk scanned them. Faster to just leave it all in the cart and scan them myself.

But self-checkouts don't just exist for the sole purpose of increasing corporate profits. They are also highly convenient for consumers.

Question: If you have the option of a self-checkout with no one in line or a clerk-assisted checkout with no one in line, which one is more convenient?
Self-checkout... 100%

I choose clerk. Self checkout is convenient when the lines are long, but having someone else do the work is better.
Better? Debate. Then I'd have to interact with them.
I hate small talk more than most, but this is a little over-the-top. All it takes is a smile/Hi, loading the conveyor, rapid scanning of cc, and grabbing your bags/receipt when they’re through.

That much interaction is unpleasant?

Self-checkout... 100%

Why?
So... in all honesty... I'm fine with a smile and a "Hi"... "How are you"... "Great, thanks!". It typically goes beyond that, though... which I'd prefer to not partake in most times.

But, as @BobbyLayne mentioned above, I'm typically much faster, and a much more efficient bagger. Most cashiers and baggers have no sense of urgency... they're just there to get through their day. And if you just think of the logistics of it... place items on belt, scan items, back on another belt, bag items... four distinct steps. In self-checkout... those four steps are combined.

I know I sound like a miserable, old man, but 90% of the people I encounter are, how do I say this politely, ignorant? dull? not interested in how what they do affects others?

Self-checkout... 100%

I choose clerk. Self checkout is convenient when the lines are long, but having someone else do the work is better.
I hate small talk more than most, but this is a little over-the-top. All it takes is a smile/Hi, loading the conveyor, rapid scanning of cc, and grabbing your bags/receipt when they’re through.

Self-checkout... 100%

Why?
So... in all honesty... I'm fine with a smile and a "Hi"... "How are you"... "Great, thanks!". It typically goes beyond that, though... which I'd prefer to not partake in most times.

But, as @BobbyLayne mentioned above, I'm typically much faster, and a much more efficient bagger. Most cashiers and baggers have no sense of urgency... they're just there to get through their day. And if you just think of the logistics of it... place items on belt, scan items, back on another belt, bag items... four distinct steps. In self-checkout... those four steps are combined.

I know I sound like a miserable, old man, but 90% of the people I encounter are, how do I say this politely, ignorant? dull? not interested in how what they do affects others?
has to be an absolutely miserably long day to do something this repetitive for X number of hours a day. especially with cranky patrons, their coupons, purses full of coins, etc.

Whatever you say Walter Weirdo

... and in many areas, strong union control of checking/bagging.

Unionization of grocery-store workers is not a thing around here. Do these unions operate strictly in the big northeastern cities, or can they be found elsewhere?

has to be an absolutely miserably long day to do something this repetitive for X number of hours a day. especially with cranky patrons, their coupons, purses full of coins, etc.
You know, I think at this stage of my working career, I wouldn't mind doing this. Go to work and be the best damn cashier/bagger in the business.

Just think of the awesome shtick you could come up with daily. I would never let the cranky people bother me because I would just smother them with kindness and jokes and friendly banter. It would be impossible for them to be cranky at me.

My line would be so long because the patrons would WANT me to check them out. And at the end of the day I could walk out of there and not have to worry about a damn thing until I walk in there the next day.

Self-checkout... 100%

Self-checkout... 100%

Why?

Couldn't agree more... although there are *some* to can do it quickly/cheerfully... not many.

I just play the very good odds that I'll be faster and happier using self-checkout

... and in many areas, strong union control of checking/bagging.

Unionization of grocery-store workers is not a thing around here. Do these unions operate strictly in the big northeastern cities, or can they be found elsewhere?

I don't know what areas they are strongest. I'm in Northern California. Most of the larger grocery chains unionized here, at least when it comes to checkers and baggers. I'd imagine it loosely follows the Blue/Red state divisions, but that's just a guess.

For the anti-selfcheckout crowd, I'm curious if they'd all like living in NJ, and not having the self-checkout option at the gas pump.
It's the same thing. I'm not old enough to remember, but I'd imagine people said the same silly stuff as the nation was converted to self-checkout for gas.

We have a chain of stores around here (Food Lion) that still doesn't have self-checkout. There are a lot of things annoying about the stores, but that's at the top of the list.

People talking about jobs, but all I know is Food Lion takes an absurd amount to time to sell products. Usually, about 8 employees in the store, 2-3 running a register with mile long line. There can be 8 cars in the parking lot and you ain't getting out of there quickly. Meanwhile, Kroger has a bunch of self-checkouts and seeming 50 employees roaming the store restocking and doing online orders. They are moving people and product in an out really fast (with the customers help). I'd have to the think the latter is a better scenario for jobs.

For the anti-selfcheckout crowd, I'm curious if they'd all like living in NJ, and not having the self-checkout option at the gas pump.
It's the same thing. I'm not old enough to remember, but I'd imagine people said the same silly stuff as the nation was converted to self-checkout for gas.
we had one attendant serviced gas station in town up until i was about early 20s.

it was in my neighborhood. the old coot that ran it was super irascible. just an absolutely impossible person to deal with and he did not give a **** if it bothered people. he would hit your car, curse at you for not paying fast enough, etc.

but he had low, low cigarette prices and didn't ask for ID so we went there.

I thought of that too.

If the gas is the same price, and there is a pump with no line that is pay yourself and a pump that the nice attendant pumps gas for you, are people saying they would choose to get out and fill up their gas tank themselves?

I would think 100 out of 100 people would choose the option of having the person do the work for the same price.

If the gas is the same price, and there is a pump with no line that is pay yourself and a pump that the nice attendant pumps gas for you, are people saying they would choose to get out and fill up their gas tank themselves?

I would think 100 out of 100 people would choose the option of having the person do the work for the same price.

99 out of 100. I'd pump it myself out of sheer inertia. Changing a habit wouldn't happen that quickly with no customer-changing groundwork being laid. It would take me some time to get to the point of relenting to someone else pumping my gas -- certainly wouldn't happen during my first several visits.

BTW, to kind of tie this back into "grocery shopping" -- there is similar inertia about bagging my own groceries at a manned cashier line, something I noticed you broadly commented on earlier. Self-bagging with a cashier present is not a thing at any store locally (even though dedicated baggers are uncommon), as you'd basically have to either stand in the cashier's area or else the cashier would have to slide your groceries and a bunch of loose bags to you as you walked well away from the point-of-sale device. If I went to a new store with a new concept that was set up to make self-bagging make sense (e.g. point-of-sale device situated where you'd stand when bagging) ... sure, I'd be game in the moment. Might make me use the store less in the future, might not. But self-bagging is far, far from a no-brainer "everyone does it!" thing, at least in local grocery-store-shopping culture.

And yet ... self-bagging at a self-checkout stand feels 180 degrees different. Completely natural and no problem. And it has since Day 1. Go figure.

I thought of that too.

Agree here... so long as it was was efficient. BTW... I'd prefer @mr. furley s old coot :)

I thought of that too.

It's funny how different we all are as humans.

It didn't even occur to me that some people might enjoy having someone pump their gas for them.
I think you're right, that a lot of people would go the attendant route. No idea what the percentages would be though.

That question you pose seems like it would good on a personality assessment.

As an introvert with trust issues that doesn't delegate very well, I'm choosing self-checkout whether it's gas or groceries.

And at the end of the day I could walk out of there and not have to worry about a damn thing until I walk in there the next day.

This is the most important part. Life was so much simpler then.
The key is finding a decent job which allows this mentality. A big part is realizing you’re not nearly as important as you think you are, both as an individual, and the duties you perform.

In general, I don’t like letting other people perform mundane tasks I can do myself, especially if it takes more time.

Self-checkout with a few items satisfies those criteria. But at some point, the grocery worker outperforms me. I’m simply not as quick as some of the pros in this thread, so anything more than one bag worth of items merits conventional check out. Unlike many in this thread, I try to shop when long lines aren’t an issue.

I never wait in line for gas, so it’s hard to imagine an attendant doing the job more efficiently.

Other stuff I avoid, if possible: valets and bellhops. Part of it is not knowing an appropriate tip, but mostly because it tends to slow me down.

I thought of that too.

Agree here... so long as it was was efficient. BTW... I'd prefer @mr. furley s old coot :)

I always assumed Furley was a dude - who knew?

I thought of that too.

Yeah, I would much prefer someone pump my gas. Why would I want to get out- especially if it's cold and touch that gross gas pump? The attendant will clean my windows and stuff too. I would happily toss them a couple bucks for that.

You know, I think at this stage of my working career, I wouldn't mind doing this. Go to work and be the best damn cashier/bagger in the business.

Just think of the awesome shtick you could come up with daily. I would never let the cranky people bother me because I would just smother them with kindness and jokes and friendly banter. It would be impossible for them to be cranky at me.

My line would be so long because the patrons would WANT me to check them out. And at the end of the day I could walk out of there and not have to worry about a damn thing until I walk in there the next day.
Haven’t seen him in a while, so I hope it’s just a schedule thing, but my closest Kroger has a young guy named Felix who absolutely has to be firmly on some sort of spectrum, but I go through his line every time if I can.

He’s just as fast/competent as any other cashier, but the running dialogue always makes my day. He is relentlessly positive and happy about EVERYTHING. Beyond things like “How is your day today?” he says stuff like “I’ll have you rung up in no time!” or “See what I did there? Fast!” if he uses the gun on several items.

Love that dude.

This thread has turned so weird to me.
I can see definitely see how people are not good with self-checkout for a myriad of reasons. But never did it even enter my mind that it was due to the interaction between cashier and shopper would be missed. And to all of those people that are saying it's to save jobs, okay, I get that, but I drive around my town and a ton of places have help wanted signs out there all the time - especially at restaurants (not just fast food). It's not as if a cashier has some skill set that is irreplaceable.
And as far as pumping gas, put me in the camp of I'd rather pump my own. I have no problem washing off my own windshield thank you very much. Honestly, it makes me a little uncomfortable sitting in my car while someone is doing something so menial that a 7 year old could do it. If grandma over there in the Lincoln doesn't want to get out of her car for 2 minutes because it's misting outside, so be it.
eta - there was talk about places having apps to order your own food, eliminate servers, etc... and I can absolutely understand the mentality to avoid those places. But, I've been to quite a few places since the old Covid hit that I needed to order by app, and so far, they have messed up my order 0 times. Whereas I've lost count of the times a server whiffed on an order, in particular the ones that are above writing down the tables orders on a pad or something because they can remember everything. :rolleyes: But that's probably another thread entirely.

I can see definitely see how people are not good with self-checkout for a myriad of reasons. But never did it even enter my mind that it was due to the interaction between cashier and shopper would be missed.

This is a good reason why these threads are interesting and useful in my opinion. The shopper-cashier interaction is a huge part of it for me. And I think it's interesting when people see something completely differently.

This thread has turned so weird to me.
I can see definitely see how people are not good with self-checkout for a myriad of reasons. But never did it even enter my mind that it was due to the interaction between cashier and shopper would be missed. And to all of those people that are saying it's to save jobs, okay, I get that, but I drive around my town and a ton of places have help wanted signs out there all the time - especially at restaurants (not just fast food). It's not as if a cashier has some skill set that is irreplaceable.
And as far as pumping gas, put me in the camp of I'd rather pump my own. I have no problem washing off my own windshield thank you very much. Honestly, it makes me a little uncomfortable sitting in my car while someone is doing something so menial that a 7 year old could do it. If grandma over there in the Lincoln doesn't want to get out of her car for 2 minutes because it's misting outside, so be it.
eta - there was talk about places having apps to order your own food, eliminate servers, etc... and I can absolutely understand the mentality to avoid those places. But, I've been to quite a few places since the old Covid hit that I needed to order by app, and so far, they have messed up my order 0 times. Whereas I've lost count of the times a server whiffed on an order, in particular the ones that are above writing down the tables orders on a pad or something because they can remember everything. :rolleyes: But that's probably another thread entirely.

a lot of times the apps or the "in-house kiosks" don't have the flexibility with the options for your order - or many times they are programmed to keep up with the specials (pricing)

McDonalds kiosks are attractive - but when I want double onions and no pickle on my McDouble - no go, or even less possible ...try getting the tiny minced onions on a Quarter Pounder instead of the big onion chunks ...those kiosks won't let you do it ...and when you go to the counter to order it there, they are really unhappy with you - reaction

Good example this morning at our Sam's Club. As I was thinking of this thread.

I normally use the order online and pick up outside in the designated spot thing as I often am getting a lot of stuff. 400 hot dog buns and hot dogs or stuff for a big BBQ thing is a challenge sometimes and lots of times with things like buns, they'll have cases already set and bring them out in those. So I normally do that.

But today, I needed something quickly and went inside to shop. Wound up getting several other things.

Very pleasant woman was the cashier.

Me: "Good morning, Love".

Her: Good morning!

Me: Getting my membership card out to scan: "I normally do the order online and pickup outside thing. Not sure I remember how to do this."

Her: "Welcome Back!"

She scanned the stuff and asked me if I'd like to use the $15 worth of credit I somehow had on my account. I said sure.

She gave me the receipt and said she hoped I had an awesome day. I wished her the same.

The net effect was she scanned the stuff I bought significantly faster than I would have been able to. She brought to my attention I had a credit that I used. And we had a super small but very pleasant social interaction. My day was slightly better for it.

I normally use the order online and pick up outside in the designated spot thing as I often am getting a lot of stuff. 400 hot dog buns and hot dogs or stuff for a big BBQ thing is a challenge sometimes and lots of times with things like buns, they'll have cases already set and bring them out in those. So I normally do that.

But today, I needed something quickly and went inside to shop. Wound up getting several other things.

Me: Getting my membership card out to scan: "I normally do the order online and pickup outside thing. Not sure I remember how to do this."

She scanned the stuff and asked me if I'd like to use the $15 worth of credit I somehow had on my account. I said sure.

She gave me the receipt and said she hoped I had an awesome day. I wished her the same.

The net effect was she scanned the stuff I bought significantly faster than I would have been able to. She brought to my attention I had a credit that I used. And we had a super small but very pleasant social interaction. My day was slightly better for it.
Sam’s Scan-and-Go FTW

I thought of that too.

I know I'm messing up the spirit of the hypothetical (and I apologize for that), but having grown up in NJ, reality kicks in when I ask myself what I would do. Sure, if you could guarantee no one else shows up while I'm there, then I'd probably go to the attendant if the price is the same. But what is likely to happen is that two or three other people drive up to open pumps while my tank is being filled. That nice attendant goes to start the first one, and in the meantime I hear my gas pump click done. But there's someone else waiting to get started, so the attendant goes over to them next, and that one's a chatterbox who doesn't realize they have to press a button to let the attendant open their gas tank, etc... So I'm just sitting there waiting when I could have been on my way had I just gone to the self-pump one in the first place.

So unless the weather sucks or I'm having a conversation with someone else in the car and we're not in a hurry, I choose the self pump.

Sam’s Scan-and-Go FTW
Emphatically, yes! Was in Costco today and I skipped the self-checkout becuase it was backed up a good bit. Found a traditional register on the opposite end and it was only three-deep, or so I thought. Turns out a lady was was placeholding for her husband, who came strolling up a couple of minutes later with an overflowing basket. Blood pressure went up about 10 points, but against all urges I walked away and queued up in the self-checkout line. I might have said something if he'd cut directly in front of me, but there was another lady in line between us and she seemed oblivious.

I live in the deep South. This #### is not supposed to happen here.

I can see definitely see how people are not good with self-checkout for a myriad of reasons. But never did it even enter my mind that it was due to the interaction between cashier and shopper would be missed.

This is a good reason why these threads are interesting and useful in my opinion. The shopper-cashier interaction is a huge part of it for me. And I think it's interesting when people see something completely differently.

3 of my 4 kids work for Publix - I tell my wife one of the reasons I like them working there is they get to learn to converse with people - it’s a skill many kids lack.

I rarely actually go into the grocery store. I pull up at 7:30 am and they put my groceries in the trunk, and by 7:45 I'm on my way home.
I go into the grocery store probably 5 days a week. It is about a thousand feet from my house though.

Use self checkout almost always since I don't make big purchases and there is usually a 5 to 1 ratio of self checkout to regular.

About to make my Sunday morning beer run (absolute best time to grocery shop).
Speaking of interaction, I actually get a lot of interaction with my local Kroger self-checkout attendants. I've gotten to know them pretty well. One was even born 3 days before me!!

There is no more beneficial employee for a store, IMO, than a rock star self-checkout attendant. A good one is lightning fast and efficient, and can really help a store move a boatload of goods.

And they have to deal with the most PITA customers. The old farts that have no business in self-checkout. The one with 6 kids and 3 carts full of soda that keeps sending the kid back and forth swapping things out. The one that simply cannot figure out the payment screen. One with 8000 coupons.

And of course, when everything gets most hectic, somebody will drop a glass jar of pickles.

Not if you're a costco fan b/c they ain't open yet. 8 o'clock-ish PM mon-fri i find to be the sweet spot. I'm in there by 8:15 (sweet lady tells me I have 15 minutes left for the thousandth time), out 8:30ish, across the street to the shoprite for a couple of small items, then back across to the costco gas which has now cleared out.

Not if you're a costco fan b/c they ain't open yet. 8 o'clock-ish PM mon-fri i find to be the sweet spot. I'm in there by 8:15 (sweet lady tells me I have 15 minutes left for the thousandth time), out 8:30ish, across the street to the shoprite for a couple of small items, then back across to the costco gas which has now cleared out.
You’re correct for Costco. But the answer is middle of the night for 24 hour stores. You need to figure out when restocking occurs though.

In either case, avoid weekends like the plague.

Grocery stores at 9 am no longer have baked bread ready? Everything was completely empty this morning. I thought bakers were up at like 3 am for this?

Why does it seem that every time I use self-checkout, I anxiously speed through it like a bug-out event, but everyone in front of me acts like they just discovered alien technology?
whenever i start to feel anxious about the line behind me i repeat to myself "i did not choose this"

Users who are viewing this thread