What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you usually use the self-checkout at the grocery store? (1 Viewer)

Do you usually use the self-checkout at the grocery store?

• Yes

Votes: 163 72.1%
  • No

Votes: 63 27.9%

• Total voters
Why does it seem that every time I use self-checkout, I anxiously speed through it like a bug-out event, but everyone in front of me acts like they just discovered alien technology?
whenever i start to feel anxious about the line behind me i repeat to myself "i did not choose this"
Well, you kind of did 😀

To add on to this… I do feel this anxiety at times in the self checkout. I feel an innate responsibility to be quick so as not to inconvenience the people waiting. I will do everything I can to get through the process as fast as I can. I only wish everyone had that same mindset. Seems as though people couldn’t care less how what they do inconveniences others… whether getting through self checkout, pulling out of a parking spot or camping out in the left lane 😡 (to name but a few)

Why does it seem that every time I use self-checkout, I anxiously speed through it like a bug-out event, but everyone in front of me acts like they just discovered alien technology?
whenever i start to feel anxious about the line behind me i repeat to myself "i did not choose this"
Well, you kind of did 😀

To add on to this… I do feel this anxiety at times in the self checkout. I feel an innate responsibility to be quick so as not to inconvenience the people waiting. I will do everything I can to get through the process as fast as I can. I only wish everyone had that same mindset. Seems as though people couldn’t care less how what they do inconveniences others… whether getting through self checkout, pulling out of a parking spot or camping out in the left lane 😡 (to name but a few)
no i didn't, this is the stores system, (the fact that in most cases i could stand in less convenient line to have someone wait on me is not of much relevance)

Me: "Good morning, Love".

What's all this now?

I'm old enough and non-threatening enough to call women, "Love".

Was inspired a while back by the Ian McKellen podcast. https://youtu.be/Ebb272kjmWQ

Unlike McKellen, I don't normally do this with men but working toward it.

And yes, I'm prepared for the "Have a great season, Love". ;)
Please provide an update when you start doing this with men, really would like to hear how this goes.

What's all this now?

Was inspired a while back by the Ian McKellen podcast. https://youtu.be/Ebb272kjmWQ

Aren't you concerned about backlash? I understand it's probably regional, but if I called a cashier "love" or "sweetie" or "honey", I'd get an earful more than half the time around here...

What's all this now?

Aren't you concerned about backlash? I understand it's probably regional, but if I called a cashier "love" or "sweetie" or "honey", I'd get an earful more than half the time around here...

Not concerned at all. Have had zero backlash. A lot of it's like lots of things, you have to be comfortable with it and I think people realize it's sincere. Sweetie or Honey wouldn't sound sincere for me but "Love" seems more encompassing.

What's all this now?

Not concerned at all. Have had zero backlash. A lot of it's like lots of things, you have to be comfortable with it and I think people realize it's sincere. Sweetie or Honey wouldn't sound sincere for me but "Love" seems more encompassing.
Thanks, Love ;)

This thread has turned so weird to me.
I can see definitely see how people are not good with self-checkout for a myriad of reasons. But never did it even enter my mind that it was due to the interaction between cashier and shopper would be missed. And to all of those people that are saying it's to save jobs, okay, I get that, but I drive around my town and a ton of places have help wanted signs out there all the time - especially at restaurants (not just fast food). It's not as if a cashier has some skill set that is irreplaceable.
And as far as pumping gas, put me in the camp of I'd rather pump my own. I have no problem washing off my own windshield thank you very much. Honestly, it makes me a little uncomfortable sitting in my car while someone is doing something so menial that a 7 year old could do it. If grandma over there in the Lincoln doesn't want to get out of her car for 2 minutes because it's misting outside, so be it.
eta - there was talk about places having apps to order your own food, eliminate servers, etc... and I can absolutely understand the mentality to avoid those places. But, I've been to quite a few places since the old Covid hit that I needed to order by app, and so far, they have messed up my order 0 times. Whereas I've lost count of the times a server whiffed on an order, in particular the ones that are above writing down the tables orders on a pad or something because they can remember everything. :rolleyes: But that's probably another thread entirely.

a lot of times the apps or the "in-house kiosks" don't have the flexibility with the options for your order - or many times they are programmed to keep up with the specials (pricing)

McDonalds kiosks are attractive - but when I want double onions and no pickle on my McDouble - no go, or even less possible ...try getting the tiny minced onions on a Quarter Pounder instead of the big onion chunks ...those kiosks won't let you do it ...and when you go to the counter to order it there, they are really unhappy with you - reaction
I go to McD's more than I should. Most times I do the drive through for me and my kids on Sunday afternoons, but there are times where I go on Wednesdays when I'm at the office. In those cases, I NEVER use the self-serve kiosk. I don't even know if you can use it to input your rewards info. Their rewards program is awesome. I get a free 4- or sometimes even 6-piece nuggets for free pretty much every time I go. And I get my Quarter Pounder plain w/ cheese only, and it's just easier to have an employee do it. Plus it seems like when I go, there's 3-4 people waiting for the kiosks and no one at the register, so I just walk up, have them scan my app, and order/pay.

Well, you kind of did 😀

no i didn't, this is the stores system, (the fact that in most cases i could stand in less convenient line to have someone wait on me is not of much relevance)
Now this is confusing. Clearly, in some cases, you’re choosing your time/convenience over others. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, but it’s not the system’s fault.

What's all this now?

I have to admit I've thought of using it ever since watching Mr. InBetween.

Curious, what cutoff age of the other person do you decide not to use it because it would make you looking like a creepy old man?

I have to admit I've thought of using it ever since watching Mr. InBetween.

Curious, what cutoff age of the other person do you decide not to use it because it would make you looking like a creepy old man?

It's a combination of factors.

If I don't know the person at all, the cutoff is probably around 30 years old. Although age is difficult to tell sometimes.

Used self checkout last night. Six stations. When waiting in line there was a guy at the first station already. About 65. Had about half a cart of stuff. So did he. A register opened up. Scanned all of our stuff. Had to wait for a worker that was talking to another customer about football since we had 5 twelve packs that I hit skip bagging for. Loaded cart, went to car, loaded up. Realized I forgot something. Went back in, got item. Went to self checkout.

65 year old man still ringing up at station 1. He is talking on his phone now while struggling to do produce.

My own personal opinion/observation/conspiracy theory: Walmart purposely trains people to work slow in the traditional check out roll so as to encourage people to use the self check out.
Welp, Walmart has decided self checkout is done. I wonder if the people working the traditional check out roll will magically speed up.

My own personal opinion/observation/conspiracy theory: Walmart purposely trains people to work slow in the traditional check out roll so as to encourage people to use the self check out.
Welp, Walmart has decided self checkout is done. I wonder if the people working the traditional check out roll will magically speed up.
Nope… bet they get slower

Seems that's only certain locations, probably where they've had higher theft issues. They're "improving the customer experience", or that's the line they're using for the reason.

Seems that's only certain locations, probably where they've had higher theft issues. They're "improving the customer experience", or that's the line they're using for the reason.
Yep. I was just at our Walmart yesterday. My 9yo loves to help in the self checkout lane so we do that.

Yep. I was just at our Walmart yesterday. My 9yo loves to help in the self checkout lane so we do that.
Yeah, I get that. BTW, the Dollar Generals around my area have gotten rid of the self checkout too. I guess I don't live in as nice an area as I thought lol

Yeah, I get that. BTW, the Dollar Generals around my area have gotten rid of the self checkout too. I guess I don't live in as nice an area as I thought lol
The local DG had ours closed last time I went (day before Easter, we had failed to get plastic eggs) but the sign said temporary. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread