What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you usually use the self-checkout at the grocery store? (1 Viewer)

Do you usually use the self-checkout at the grocery store?

• Yes

Votes: 163 72.1%
  • No

Votes: 63 27.9%

• Total voters
People aren't going to take jobs that are just retrieving shopping carts and bagging because companies dont pay a living wage for this work. I assume cashiers make living wage but they arent going to pay these same people the same to retrieve shopping carts.

Grocery stores is a part of my social life!
You're a wildman.
At my Trader Joe's, Pitbull could find lots of extras for his videos. But that's not what I'm taking about. It turns out, the Hemingway look-alike and I went to the same high school, 5 years apart. Always a good conversation. And at Publix, I convinced one of the cashiers to try a vegan Beyond Burger Bogo when she asked about my purchases. Now she tells me she eats less meat. At Publix, one of the special needs employees and I would joke about his cashier pretend girl friend who was also in on the joke. I would tip him and he remembered. I see fewer Bag Boys with the self-checkout.

No, because self checkout takes away jobs.

Does it necessarily take away jobs, or does it just mean that the labor force is/can be retrained for other roles in the organization that in theory could lead it to be more efficient?

Instead of having 6 checkers, I can have say 2 people checking, 1 person monitoring the self checkout area to provide assistance and repurpose 3 others to other duties in the store - perhaps stocking the produce section or working in the bakery area - who can double as overflow checkers in periods of heavy activity. Perhaps that's a bit altruistic, but changes don't necessarily mean losing jobs - it may mean changing jobs.

So get them to do the work that is normally carved out for others? So a bunch of Jack of all trades?

No offense, but everything you wrote sounds like corporate playbook of what’s being fed to the public for decades now.

The cost of shipping is x
The cost of goods is x
The only place for companies to save money is labor and it’s been a battleground for over 100 years.

People aren't going to take jobs that are just retrieving shopping carts and bagging because companies dont pay a living wage for this work. I assume cashiers make living wage but they arent going to pay these same people the same to retrieve shopping carts.

Again with this (not directed at you, this came up in the wait staff salary thread…..)

Being a courtesy clerk is not for people to have a living wage! 🤣 it’s a entry level position. You’re not supposed to work it for the rest of your life and support a family.

Hilarious. Just because people lack the initiative to better their lot in life doesn’t mean we (the tax payers and working class) should finance a higher minimum wage.

Work crappy job for crappy pay:

A -realize it sucks and do something else

B - give up and complain how CEOs make gobs of money and it’s not fair that I can’t work at Dollar General and drive a Benz.

ETA - The only people who want a higher minimum wage is the big box stores. Unfortunately there’s a large contingent group of folks in this country who lack any foresight.

I assume they will get the tech right eventually. Amazon has the Just Walk Out tech.

The annoying UPC code glitches and all that will be gone.

No, because self checkout takes away jobs.

Does it necessarily take away jobs, or does it just mean that the labor force is/can be retrained for other roles in the organization that in theory could lead it to be more efficient?

Instead of having 6 checkers, I can have say 2 people checking, 1 person monitoring the self checkout area to provide assistance and repurpose 3 others to other duties in the store - perhaps stocking the produce section or working in the bakery area - who can double as overflow checkers in periods of heavy activity. Perhaps that's a bit altruistic, but changes don't necessarily mean losing jobs - it may mean changing jobs.

So get them to do the work that is normally carved out for others? So a bunch of Jack of all trades?

No offense, but everything you wrote sounds like corporate playbook of what’s being fed to the public for decades now.

The cost of shipping is x
The cost of goods is x
The only place for companies to save money is labor and it’s been a battleground for over 100 years.

I don't disagree with what you are saying here, I was trying to make some counterpoints that advancement in technology or changes in processes don't necessarily equate to job loss, it may just equate to job transfer/repurposing. It's happened in other industries, no reason it can't or won't happen in grocery stores. But at the end of the day, if the labor is not providing a value to the company, then it may result in job loss. In a grocery store, it is more and more apparent that you will need to bring more than the ability to memorize produce codes and face a UPC label towards the scanner to maintain value.

Again with this (not directed at you, this came up in the wait staff salary thread…..)

Being a courtesy clerk is not for people to have a living wage! 🤣 it’s a entry level position. You’re not supposed to work it for the rest of your life and support a family.

Hilarious. Just because people lack the initiative to better their lot in life doesn’t mean we (the tax payers and working class) should finance a higher minimum wage.

Work crappy job for crappy pay:

A -realize it sucks and do something else

B - give up and complain how CEOs make gobs of money and it’s not fair that I can’t work at Dollar General and drive a Benz.

ETA - The only people who want a higher minimum wage is the big box stores. Unfortunately there’s a large contingent group of folks in this country who lack any foresight.

This as well. Not every job is intended to support a family.

In our area, and I'm assuming many other areas of the country, the courtesy clerks are generally:
A. High School/College kids working first job or needing something with flexibility around school schedule, basically making gas money
B. Senior Citizens doing it for socialization or to supplement social security
C. Special Needs Individuals - I believe the state has a program where these individuals are allowed to be paid less than minimum wage by the store and it is supplemented by the state, or it is a tax break to the store to employee the individuals in this program. Something like this where there is a benefit to the store to support the programs to employ individuals with special needs that would not otherwise be able to work.

I know that not every job is intended to support a family, but at the same time you can’t say that the stores can just use cashiers to do those kinds of jobs now that not as many cashiers are needed. That’s not realistic. They’ll be laid off and they’ll just hire more high school kids for that kind of work.

Voted no. Live in a small town. 80% of my grocery shopping is done at a non-chain/locally family owned grocery store with 4 checkout lanes. Normally there are only 2 in use. They recently installed 1 self-checkout lane. I've never seen anyone use it.

I use self-checkout when I go to the bigger chain grocery stores/Walmart.

I’ve realized from all these What’s Normal polls that I don’t put nearly as much thought in to my life as others. I’m apparently a drooling moron living life on autopilot or haphazardly - I can’t figure out which.

Occasionally when I don't have much. I avoid it when I have produce and have to weigh things.

This part is a breeze at our local grocery self-checkouts.

I have noticed that when people discuss this topic online, there are vast differences between self-checkout experiences place to place. It seems self-checkout was adopted very late in some parts of the U.S. (maybe the Northeast, with unionized grocery labor?). People will talk about the problems they have with self-checkout, right now in 2023, and they're problems that were technologically solved with self-checkout 10-15 years ago.

For instance -- problems with the bagging scale and "please put item in the bag!" warnings -- these days, those scales are normally still used, but the software can be (and usually is) set to ignore bagging-scale input. Bagging scales were a technological dead end -- packages aren't of uniform enough weight to make reliable weighing at the bagging area practical. If your store still has a lot of issues with frequent bagging-area warnings at the self-checkout, they're doing it wrong.

At a lot of places I've been, even when it seems they expect you to use the bagging scale, there's a "Skip Bagging" button that lets you turn it off. Or you just use the price gun if one is available and it automatically turns that requirement off.

Speaking of the price guns, I use those all the time. We don't get plastic bags here in NY anymore, and often not even paper bags, so the gun is even more valuable. Leave my reusable bags in the car, keep everything in the cart at self checkout, scan each item with the gun and move it over to the other side of the cart. It's so much quicker than using the main scanner, but I rarely see other people using the gun for some reason. Then I bag it all up when I get back to the car, where I'm not holding anyone else up.

Occasionally when I don't have much. I avoid it when I have produce and have to weigh things.

This part is a breeze at our local grocery self-checkouts.

I have noticed that when people discuss this topic online, there are vast differences between self-checkout experiences place to place. It seems self-checkout was adopted very late in some parts of the U.S. (maybe the Northeast, with unionized grocery labor?). People will talk about the problems they have with self-checkout, right now in 2023, and they're problems that were technologically solved with self-checkout 10-15 years ago.

For instance -- problems with the bagging scale and "please put item in the bag!" warnings -- these days, those scales are normally still used, but the software can be (and usually is) set to ignore bagging-scale input. Bagging scales were a technological dead end -- packages aren't of uniform enough weight to make reliable weighing at the bagging area practical. If your store still has a lot of issues with frequent bagging-area warnings at the self-checkout, they're doing it wrong.

At a lot of places I've been, even when it seems they expect you to use the bagging scale, there's a "Skip Bagging" button that lets you turn it off. Or you just use the price gun if one is available and it automatically turns that requirement off.

Speaking of the price guns, I use those all the time. We don't get plastic bags here in NY anymore, and often not even paper bags, so the gun is even more valuable. Leave my reusable bags in the car, keep everything in the cart at self checkout, scan each item with the gun and move it over to the other side of the cart. It's so much quicker than using the main scanner, but I rarely see other people using the gun for some reason. Then I bag it all up when I get back to the car, where I'm not holding anyone else up.
The skip bagging button is clutch.

I'd like to see a Venn diagram of the people that complain about self checkout and the people that still write out checks at the grocery store.

My guess is that it is pretty close to just a circle.

I wouldn't think that at all.

Being for Employees has little to do with how one chooses to pay in my experience.

I think only the most naive employees would think this doesn't mean they're headed toward being replaced.

I'm sure Uber tries to tell their drivers the self driving car testing their doing will actually be good for them as well.

Another underrated positive about self checkout: they (usually) do the line right. No worrying about getting in the wrong line, realizing you got the slow cashier or the check-writing customer in front of you while people who got to the lines on either side of you later finish up before you. Just one line for the next open spot.

We can't completely hinder all progress just because someone might lose their job over it. Yes, cashiers might lose jobs over the convenience of self checkout, but now there are jobs for people to repair said self checkout machines, and also security jobs for monitoring shoplifting at the self checkouts.

Besides, all of our jobs are getting replaced by AI in a few years anyway, so why even worry about this. I cant wait for ChatGPT to give me a 30 day timeout and tell me to have a good season, guy.

We can't completely hinder all progress just because someone might lose their job over it. Yes, cashiers might lose jobs over the convenience of self checkout, but now there are jobs for people to repair said self checkout machines, and also security jobs for monitoring shoplifting at the self checkouts.

Besides, all of our jobs are getting replaced by AI in a few years anyway, so why even worry about this. I cant wait for ChatGPT to give me a 30 day timeout and tell me to have a good season, guy.

We're working on that Footballguys Forum AI...

Seriously though, I think the real question is the bolded and how to define "progress".

I'm a capitalist entrepreneur. But I'm not always comfortable with the endless pursuit of optimization and maximizing profits for companies. More profit for the company is not necessarily "progress" for society.

Seriously though, I think the real question is the bolded and how to define "progress".

I'm a capitalist entrepreneur. But I'm not always comfortable with the endless pursuit of optimization and maximizing profits for companies. More profit for the company is not necessarily "progress" for society.

I don't disagree if the sole benefit is corporate profits. But self-checkouts don't just exist for the sole purpose of increasing corporate profits. They are also highly convenient for consumers.

I don't disagree if the sole benefit is corporate profits. But self-checkouts don't just exist for the sole purpose of increasing corporate profits. They are also highly convenient for consumers.
This. To the company, the progress might be judged by the bottom line, but for the consumer it's usually judged by the experience.

Using the Uber reference, those driver jobs didn't exist until the progress resulted in a better consumer experience than a taxi. And when self-driving cars reach the point that they remove a lot of the annoying aspects of getting an Uber, that progress will probably take those driver jobs away again. (but yes, to Joe's point, saying that this will help or at least not hurt those drivers doesn't make much sense)

We're (posters) all going to be replaced here by bots. Seems like some of us already have been. :P
That’s an interesting question. Message board posts are a form of online communication where people can share their opinions, thoughts, and experiences on various topics. They are often used for social, educational, or professional purposes.
Some people might wonder if message board posts will be replaced by AI in the future, as generative AI becomes more advanced and capable of producing human-like content. Generative AI is a type of artificial intelligence that can create original text, images, software code, and other forms of content from a simple prompt. For example, ChatGPT is a generative AI application that can write coherent and engaging texts on any topic1.
However, generative AI is not perfect and has some limitations. For instance, generative AI can sometimes produce inaccurate, biased, or false information, as it relies on the data it has been trained on. It also lacks the human touch and emotion that message board posts often convey. Moreover, generative AI cannot replace the human interaction and feedback that message board posts provide. People use message board posts to connect with others, learn from different perspectives, and express themselves in a meaningful way.
Therefore, I don’t think message board posts will be replaced by AI anytime soon. AI can augment and assist message board users, but it cannot replace the human element that makes message board posts valuable and enjoyable. Message board posts are more than just content; they are a form of social and cultural exchange that AI cannot fully replicate.

We're (posters) all going to be replaced here by bots. Seems like some of us already have been. :P
That’s an interesting question. Message board posts are a form of online communication where people can share their opinions, thoughts, and experiences on various topics. They are often used for social, educational, or professional purposes.
Some people might wonder if message board posts will be replaced by AI in the future, as generative AI becomes more advanced and capable of producing human-like content. Generative AI is a type of artificial intelligence that can create original text, images, software code, and other forms of content from a simple prompt. For example, ChatGPT is a generative AI application that can write coherent and engaging texts on any topic1.
However, generative AI is not perfect and has some limitations. For instance, generative AI can sometimes produce inaccurate, biased, or false information, as it relies on the data it has been trained on. It also lacks the human touch and emotion that message board posts often convey. Moreover, generative AI cannot replace the human interaction and feedback that message board posts provide. People use message board posts to connect with others, learn from different perspectives, and express themselves in a meaningful way.
Therefore, I don’t think message board posts will be replaced by AI anytime soon. AI can augment and assist message board users, but it cannot replace the human element that makes message board posts valuable and enjoyable. Message board posts are more than just content; they are a form of social and cultural exchange that AI cannot fully replicate.
Damn, looks like we've lost jamny to a bot. #pours1out

We already have bots doing things like making posts irrelevant to the topic at hand or to the purpose of the site. And bots searching through google and upon finding a key word or phrase, create an account there and bump up usually a very old thread and make a canned response.

We already have bots doing things like making posts irrelevant to the topic at hand or to the purpose of the site. And bots searching through google and upon finding a key word or phrase, create an account there and bump up usually a very old thread and make a canned response.
“Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game. We talkin' 'bout epoxy floors, man!”

I think only the most naive employees would think this doesn't mean they're headed toward being replaced.

I'm sure Uber tries to tell their drivers the self driving car testing their doing will actually be good for them as well.

Let's take your earlier example of maintaining the legacy draft dominator software and applying resources to it. If in the future you decide to not maintain that software, could you not move those resources to other projects that are determined to be higher priority/more beneficial. You don't need to eliminate the position, you can reallocate the resource based on evolving needs.

But self-checkouts don't just exist for the sole purpose of increasing corporate profits. They are also highly convenient for consumers.

Question: If you have the option of a self-checkout with no one in line or a clerk-assisted checkout with no one in line, which one is more convenient?

But self-checkouts don't just exist for the sole purpose of increasing corporate profits. They are also highly convenient for consumers.

Question: If you have the option of a self-checkout with no one in line or a clerk-assisted checkout with no one in line, which one is more convenient?
Self-checkout... 100%
Agree, this is interesting. I understand why you may choose self check out 100% of the time, but certainly someone else scanning/bagging items requires less effort when you have more than a couple things?

Self-checkout... 100%

I choose clerk. Self checkout is convenient when the lines are long, but having someone else do the work is better.

Self-checkout... 100%

I choose clerk. Self checkout is convenient when the lines are long, but having someone else do the work is better.
Better? Debate. Then I'd have to interact with them.

Self-checkout... 100%

Better? Debate. Then I'd have to interact with them.
I hate small talk more than most, but this is a little over-the-top. All it takes is a smile/Hi, loading the conveyor, rapid scanning of cc, and grabbing your bags/receipt when they’re through.

That much interaction is unpleasant?

I would choose the clerk-assisted line as I don't have a computer yelling at me to put the item in the bag or unexpected item.

I look at it a little differently, but the difference is important, I think. I don't see it as "maximizing profits", but rather maintaining profits in a time of rapidly increasing minimum wages, and in many areas, strong union control of checking/bagging. Self-checkout is just a small part of the movement toward automatization in a lot of industries. And for the most part, I think much of that is a direct byproduct of bloated labor costs.

only go self-check if i've got like 6-8 things. otherwise having the checker/bagger is much faster.

these self-checkouts are great and all, but i'm not spending the time finding the barcode on a grocery cart full of items. half the time some error kicks out and you have to wait for assistance.

bought about 200 in groceries on Saturday and the pair checking me out whipped through everything, bagged it and had me on my way in like 3 minutes. good enough for me.

Self-checkout... 100%

Why?
Not everyone enjoys "forced" social interactions if it can be avoided..... right or wrong it's a thing with some people, whether it's anxiety or whatever other " issue" people have (me included)

I’ve realized from all these What’s Normal polls that I don’t put nearly as much thought in to my life as others. I’m apparently a drooling moron living life on autopilot or haphazardly - I can’t figure out which.
terrific callback to the internal monologue thread

Good point but I do have an internal monologue- I guess my internal monologue doesn’t care about several of these things - I find them interesting that people do care or have strong opinions and on some of them I do. However, I don’t care which way the toilet paper rolls, don’t care if I use hot or cold water to brush my teeth, will use or not use self checkout with no rhyme or reason to when.

terrific callback to the internal monologue thread

Good point but I do have an internal monologue- I guess my internal monologue doesn’t care about several of these things - I find them interesting that people do care or have strong opinions and on some of them I do. However, I don’t care which way the toilet paper rolls, don’t care if I use hot or cold water to brush my teeth, will use or not use self checkout with no rhyme or reason to when.
same. the microanalysis of every decision is too stressful. too much wasted energy.

Users who are viewing this thread