What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Send Some Good Vibes My Way Tonight If You Wouldn’t Mind (1 Viewer)

Good news. Surgery went well. If his levels respond, he might be discharged in the next day or two. Thanks again for the outpouring of support. It seems trivial given the result, but when we flew out, it sounded really bad. Thanks again!

-ra
My dad has been hospitalized twice in the past decade for viral infections (once for encephalitis and once for Covid), to the point where we had to seriously confront the possibility that he might not make it. But in both cases he managed to make a full recovery.

So I totally know what you mean. After the fact, it might seem trivial, but man, thinking about your parents' mortality does a number on your head.

Glad he's doing well. Here's to a full recovery and a quick discharge!

I gotta be honest - this made me shiver a bit.
Yup. And they hope it’s the groin because that’s easier. Otherwise it’s his neck, which seems more invasive and dangerous.
mine was the wrist but they prepped the groin as in they shaved all yall down there and that was the most horrible part take that to the bank brohans
This was me for my angiogram. It was pretty awesome laying there, naked on a table, arms out, as if being crucified. And the head nurse says, I don’t like that shave job, let’s touch it up. They weren’t concerned with shaving my wrist. And the OR was 20 degrees! it was freezing in there. Good times.

I gotta be honest - this made me shiver a bit.
Yup. And they hope it’s the groin because that’s easier. Otherwise it’s his neck, which seems more invasive and dangerous.
mine was the wrist but they prepped the groin as in they shaved all yall down there and that was the most horrible part take that to the bank brohans
This was me for my angiogram. It was pretty awesome laying there, naked on a table, arms out, as if being crucified. And the head nurse says, I don’t like that shave job, let’s touch it up. They weren’t concerned with shaving my wrist. And the OR was 20 degrees! it was freezing in there. Good times.
Yep. The OR is sub-zero. At least I was only having my eye fixed. I had blankets fresh from the warmer to use.

On a flight home. Been seven or eight days out here. Need to go home because my meds run out and I need to be home to get them. My father is doing well. Low, low chance of a pacemaker and likely discharge today. The Moms is holding down the fort. I seriously feel bad going back, but my brother is too and he’s my ride from the airport (over an hour from home, so no Uber or cab). Anyway those are logistics. He’s in good hands. Not feeling good about going but it’s time. Thanks to all those who popped into wish my family and I well. It means so much.

Peace, folks. Will update as needs or sees fit.

Last edited:
I don’t really get fussy. People are just doing their best regardless. I expect very little. Any empathy, even that which expresses disbelief or can’t imagining is fine by me. But parasauropholus was making fun of my typical post. I took it as such and not literally. Peace.

This is a great perspective.

Late to the party here, good luck. I always wish I could say something profound in these situations. I always want to offer the "if you need anything..." line, but then I wonder if that would look self serving. I mean how could I help? I am in Colorado and I assume you aren't asking for money. So does that read just as a look at me line? Do such offers matter?
Bit of a tangent, but my brother's first wife died of breast cancer at age 35. He had some very strong opinions on what he liked/didn't like when people would talk to him about the situation. He absolutely hated "If you need anything, let me know" because he felt like it was ostensibly an offer to help, but really put the burden on him to come up with something. Other pet peeves: When people would make an (often strained) attempt to relate his situation to their own, or "I can't imagine what you're going through", since that put an emotional distance between them and him.
What he did like: Expressions of empathy: "Wow, that must be really hard," "I wanted to let you know I was thinking of you," etc.

Meanwhile, my sister-in-law hated all the martial metaphors about "bravely fighting" cancer. Did that mean that if she didn't survive, she wasn't brave or didn't fight hard enough? She preferred to think of it a "dance".

Anyway, I bring all this up not to tell people what they should or shouldn't say in these types of situations; these are just the opinions of two people, and others may feel differently. I think the key is, try to really listen to what they're saying, and whatever you say, make it about them and not you. If they're not religious, they may not want to hear that this is all part of God's plan; on the other hand, if they are, a sentiment like that may give them comfort.

One observation that my brother made that I think is broadly applicable is that a lot of the things people said were really about them dealing with their own discomfort rather than trying to allay his. Try not to be one of those people

Your post reminded me of something I had shared in another thread. For what it’s worth (and it’s not really applicable to this situation other than rock shares a similar perspective), I’m reposting it below:

It's a tough issue for people to deal with. They want to help, but don't know how. They want to say the right words, but finding them is so difficult. For those who mean well, I think the best thing to keep in mind is that they mean well. Chance was always so gracious and welcoming to everyone who offered words of support, no matter the particular content or message. Holding people to a standard of saying "the right thing" is a fool's errand, and only serves to drive well-meaning people away (or you away from them). One of the many life lessons Chance taught me.

On this topic, through our Foundation I've had lots of opportunities to support, counsel and talk to cancer patients and parents of children with cancer, and one piece of advice I've shared is that they take people up on general offers of assistance and tell them specifically what they need to do to help. People want to help, and given some direction they will be so happy to do so. It makes them feel helpful, rather than helpless, and people who feel helpless will often drift away from you over time. Give them something constructive to do. It makes things easier for you, and they feel like they are a valued part of your journey. Win-win.

The overwhelming majority - 99 percent or greater - truly mean well in these situations, at least I believe. I take anything they say as such. Even uncouth stuff is usually because of lack of self-assuredness about what to say in order to comfort a sufferer.

And bless you for that last post, BB. What a wonderful perspective. The wisdom contained therein contains advice upon which to act.

The overwhelming majority - 99 percent or greater - truly mean well in these situations, at least I believe. I take anything they say as such. Even uncouth stuff is usually because of lack of self-assuredness about what to say in order to comfort a sufferer.

And bless you for that last post, BB. What a wonderful perspective. The wisdom contained therein contains advice upon which to act.

Thank you for the kind words. You provide a fantastic example with this thread. People who know you want to help you but don’t know how. But you gave them direction. You asked the wonderful people here to send good vibes and words of encouragement, so that is precisely what they did. And it was beautiful.

I’m so glad you had this time to be with your father, even under these difficult circumstances. What a blessing you are to each other.

youre a good son for having been there take care and safe travels glad boulder is getting out and doing well be good rock

Users who are viewing this thread