What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Septic System Issues - Puddle at far end of drain field (1 Viewer)

Prince Myshkin

Footballguy
I've started seeing some blackish water puddling at the end of where my septic drain field runs, especially after a big rain.  How much trouble am I in here???

I've started seeing some blackish water puddling at the end of where my septic drain field runs, especially after a big rain.  How much trouble am I in here???
Big. Hydraulic failure surfacing at the distal end usually means end of life. Or your distribution box isn't level and the whole thing can be fixed for about $500. One of those two things.

Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now, my straw reaches acroooooooss the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up! :pickle:

System is less than 10 years old so I'm certainly hoping its not end of life.  
A system is dependent on a few things. 

Soil, installation, and use. 

End of life can happen in a few years if all three factors are compromised. 

Quick question: how many people in the house? Anyone on medication?

Also, check for leaky appliances. Water softeners should not be tied in to the system. The more details I know, the better. Wouldn't be a bad idea to call your local Health Department and have someone assess the system.

Naive question... But why would a heavy rain affect a septic system? 
Surface water will mix with drainfield effluent if the drainfield is hydraulically overloaded or malfunctioning. Water likes to travel along the path of least resistance. If it can't percolate down it will flow back out.

Also, check for leaky appliances. Water softeners should not be tied in to the system. The more details I know, the better. Wouldn't be a bad idea to call your local Health Department and have someone assess the system.
I will definitely defer to Cold Dead in all things septic: however, getting the local gov. involved can have potentially unintended consequences (as in expensive). You might be able to get a cheaper solution if you fly under the radar, at least at the beginning. 

2 adults and child in the house, nobody on meds.  

Would not surprise me to find out it was installed poorly...lots of other things with the house were.  I've always thought the leach lines were too close to the surface.  

Don't think we have any leaky appliances.  There has been a bit of a funny smell that seems to be coming from the kitchen sink, but thinking that is from some food scraps caught in the scrap.  Going to clean that out today.  

Have you ever had the septic tank pumped out?  It should be done every year or two.To get rid of the solids.  There are guys the do that for you.

If the laterals are plugged up you can pump out the tank, dig down and take the caps off the laterals and then flush water through if it's not too plugged.

If all else fails you get to replace the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever had the septic tank pumped out?  It should be done every year or two.To get rid of the solids.  There are guys the do that for you.

If the laterals are plugged up you can pump out the tank, dig down and take the caps off the laterals and then flush water through if it's not too plugged.

If all else fails you get to replace the system.
Seriously? every 1-2 years??? That seems extreme.  Not sure how 2 adults and a child could fill a 1500 gallon tank with solids in 1-2 years even if we ate Taco Bell everyday.

Tank was pumped last about 5 years ago. 

I've rappelled into my tank to fix/replace a broken exit baffle with a PVC T. Nothing a hunter's safety harness, climbing rope tied to a nearby tree and and a fan for a fresh air source couldn't get done for about a $1000 less than quoted. 

I've repelled into my tank to fix/replace a broken exit baffle with a PVC T. Nothing a hunter's safety harness, climbing rope tied to a nearby tree and and a fan for a fresh air source couldn't get done for about a $1000 less than quoted. 
:X

I'd like to say I swam to through the solids to fix the issue but the needed repair was found upon drainage. That said, the video with commentary taken by the skeptical wife from the nearby bedroom window is :lmao:

Seriously? every 1-2 years??? That seems extreme.  Not sure how 2 adults and a child could fill a 1500 gallon tank with solids in 1-2 years even if we ate Taco Bell everyday.

Tank was pumped last about 5 years ago. 
You are seriously underestimating the American diet.

I'd like to say I swam to through the solids to fix the issue but the needed repair was found upon drainage. That said, the video with commentary taken by the skeptical wife from the nearby bedroom window is :lmao:
Please upload this video to watch.

I've rappelled into my tank to fix/replace a broken exit baffle with a PVC T. Nothing a hunter's safety harness, climbing rope tied to a nearby tree and and a fan for a fresh air source couldn't get done for about a $1000 less than quoted. 
We have different views on the value of $1000

We just had this done.  We bought the house about 1.5 years ago, and stupidly assumed the septic tank was pumped out as part of the purchasing process.  It was not.  Without going into too much detail, the whole experience was nasty.

However, it had to be done, and the guy educated us on some items we didn't know.  For instance:

1. "Flushable" wet wipes are not actually flushable.  No matter what it says on the package, do not put them in the toilet.

2. Powder type dishwashing soap is bad.  Hot water breaks it down, but when it reaches the septic system it becomes cold.  It then turns in a cement like substance.

Users who are viewing this thread