What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool combined effort mock - Drafting now! (1 Viewer)

I agree, I think Cook is exactly want Kubiak wants, Elway might not, but hes got bigger fish to fry, like how Von Miller's contract is gonna destroy their team.

I know what you guys are saying, but reaching for Cook or any of the non-top 3 QB in the 1st would be completely contrary to what the Broncos have done since 2012. I don't thin they panic and I think they have more confidence in Kubiak, etal's ability to coach Sanchez than ppl think.

I could see a trade up for someone like Lynch and I could see them selecting someone like Jones, Prescott, or Cook on day 2. but I'd be almost stunned if they reached for any of the non-top 3 QB at 31. they'll take a QB in the draft, I just don't think it will be at 31.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cook is much better than has been portrayed and the Broncos haven't had to do anything since 2012 because, well, they had Manning.

I don't care how good of a coach Kubiak is, he's not going to make Sanchez a better player than he's already shown to be. That's just wishful thinking.

I think they'll take a QB sometime during the draft. I just have a hard time seeing it as Cook in the 1st. we'll see come draft day though. stranger things have happened

Cook has his detractors, but also advocates. Vey possible he is long gone before DEN.

He checks off virtually all the Parcell's QB list criteria (started three seasons, 35 wins, graduate), just falling short of the 60% completion percentage.

I would have taken him at #15 if Lynch was off the board.

not always...sometimes they are pretty comparable and your ROI at 31 looks a lot uglier than at 63 considering the alternatives at 31.
All your team needs is a half-decent QB.

You don't have one.

Pick the best QB available at 31, and you potentially go back to the Super Bowl.

Dont be so hung up on ROI, ADP, OPS, FBI, or ABC easy as 123.

Draft what you need.

All your team needs is a half-decent QB.

You don't have one.

Pick the best QB available at 31, and you potentially go back to the Super Bowl.

Dont be so hung up on ROI, ADP, OPS, FBI, or ABC easy as 123.

Draft what you need.
Denver has multiple needs, one of which may be at 5 tech, but reaching for need, especially at QB is often a fallacy (see EJ Manuel, Christian Ponder, etal.). Denver will take a QB in the draft. I merely disagree that they will take what is (imo) a day 2 talent at 31. again, more surprising things have happened and it may, I'm just giving my .02

Exactly.

They won the Super Bowl with a QB who, at that point, was game manager.
The great defense/game manager QB is a lightning in a bottle strategy. The teams that have won a SB with it,...Bears, Bucs, Ravens never come close again, probably because it's hard to keep their  great defenses together and if they slip just a little bit, those game manager QBs are exposed. Make no mistake, Denver will never win a SB with Sanchez at QB.

The term "game manager" is really a misnomer. You still have to have a lot of skill to be able to do that effectively.

And I seriously doubt guys like Hackenberg, Prescott, Brissett, or Hogan fit that bill. At least not anytime soon.

Andy - you have Cincy still owning their 2nd.  Titans traded back to the 24th pick Friday night (netted a 2017 3rd).

Not sure why Cook at 31 (the last pick of the first round) is of any real issue. while people are all over the place on him, he largely settles as  a 2nd round prospect meaning that he is not a significant "reach" even if you believe in that term.  QBs are 'reached" for more than not and QB is a obvious need for the Broncos.  Based on what we have seen in free agency and this week, it is probably 50/50 Cook is even there at 31 and less than 10% that he would be there at 64 (assuming the Broncos are one of the teams who even like Cook).

On the idea of reaching...We don't know how any of these guys are actually rated until the actual draft occurs. The event itself reveals a players rating by at least one team (drafting) or 32 teams (not drafting). We don't really know who is reaching or not since we don't know the boards of all 32 teams.  Makes for fun talk, but at the end of the day, it just that fun talk. 

Not sure why Cook at 31 (the last pick of the first round) is of any real issue. while people are all over the place on him, he largely settles as  a 2nd round prospect meaning that he is not a significant "reach" even if you believe in that term.  QBs are 'reached" for more than not and QB is a obvious need for the Broncos.  Based on what we have seen in free agency and this week, it is probably 50/50 Cook is even there at 31 and less than 10% that he would be there at 64 (assuming the Broncos are one of the teams who even like Cook).

On the idea of reaching...We don't know how any of these guys are actually rated until the actual draft occurs. The event itself reveals a players rating by at least one team (drafting) or 32 teams (not drafting). We don't really know who is reaching or not since we don't know the boards of all 32 teams.  Makes for fun talk, but at the end of the day, it just that fun talk. 
Yes.  Great post.

Agreed and frankly I'll probably be more surprised if he isn't taken in the first 50 picks. 

this is a good point and having read multiple posts RE: this pick, it's starting to make a little more sense than when I 1st saw the pick.

sorry to anyone if this hijacked the thread, but fwiw, I think that's part of the mock process is working through some of others' draft logic.

Washington Redskins take Keanu Neal, FS, Florida State.
You jackass! I was hoping for one of Joseph or Neal. 

Oh well, I guess I'll take a player with much upside and flexibility. With Greenway and Robison both being old and Lamur not being great, I'll take a guy that runs like a d-back but plays like a linebacker...

2.35 (54) - Deion Jones, LB - LSU

Dude ran a 4.38 at his pro day. :shock:

this is a good point and having read multiple posts RE: this pick, it's starting to make a little more sense than when I 1st saw the pick.

sorry to anyone if this hijacked the thread, but fwiw, I think that's part of the mock process is working through some of others' draft logic.
This was useful talk as far as i can tell...no harm in my book 

2.24 the Tennessee Titans select Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina

I admit it, I love this kid.  Maybe it's his marine family. Might be a slight reach here but I think he's a very good fit for our scheme, he's a high character player and tough as nails.  

I'll take a guy that runs like a d-back but plays like a linebacker...

2.35 (54) - Deion Jones, LB - LSU

Dude ran a 4.38 at his pro day. :shock:
Great pick.  LSU is on a run now with either nabbing elite HS LB's or average and coaching them up.  I think Debo was a 4 star but didn't get to play much until last year because of the depth chart.  Wish we could have had a year of him in Aranda's scheme.

Didn't see this guy taken, if he was and I missed it feel free to sub a pick-

2.25 Seattle takes

hassan ridgeway, Dt Texas 

Oline/rb also considered

Agree on good post. Another thing to consider is the 5 year option and why taking Cook at 31 might be smart for financial reasons also instead of maybe dropping back a little to get him which is an option. 

No hikack as I think your perspective as a Broncos fan is helpful to the discussion.

Andy is a Broncos fan so I think he took the player he thought was the best pick for them at the time. If I (not a Broncos fan) were picking for them I would likely go defense or offensive line.

Re the discussion on the 31st pick, Don't forget that someone might want to have a fifth year option on a player they like (obviously so might the Broncos on Cook), but it is not impossible that a team picking early in the second sends a day three pick in addition to the early 2nd Denver's way. I could see TEN doing that

2.48 (from Indianapolis) The New York Giants select Tyler Boyd, WR, Pitt

With Cruz, David Harris, and a bunch of arena league guys behind Beckham, WR is clearly a need. Boyd may not be a blazer but is ultra competitive, has Landry like hands and has the size to be the perfect complement to Beckham. 

NFL.com:

COMPARISON

Keenan Allen

BOTTOM LINE

Pittsburgh asked Boyd to be a running back and possession receiver this season, but that doesn't define what he can be in the pros. Boyd makes up for a lack of speed with vice ­grips for hands and being intelligent in his routes. Boyd isn't a stand­alone WR1, but he can be a very productive starter in a play-­action attack that allows him to play to his strengths.

1.18 Shaq Lawson, DE

2.40 Cody Whitehair, OG

2.48 (from Indy) Tyler Boyd, WR, Pitt
Dude please tell me you are Jerry Reese in real life!! This needs to happen

Can someone make the pick for me?  Sorry I am traveling home right now with very bad internet access on my phone.

Sorry for the delay.  Thought I would be up to pick before I left.

Can someone make the pick for me?  Sorry I am traveling home right now with very bad internet access on my phone.

Sorry for the delay.  Thought I would be up to pick before I left.
I've only done a quick review, but the top two needs on are ILB (addressed with Ragland) and OLB. Even though the re-signed Nick Perry, it is just a 1 year deal and there are a few OLBs that are ranked around here like Kamalei Correa, Joshua Perry and Kyler Fackrell. Based on rankings, seems like Correa is both in the BPA zone and covers their next need.

ETA: I'd recommend Correa as the pick here.

I've only done a quick review, but the top two needs on are ILB (addressed with Ragland) and OLB. Even though the re-signed Nick Perry, it is just a 1 year deal and there are a few OLBs that are ranked around here like Kamalei Correa, Joshua Perry and Kyler Fackrell. Based on rankings, seems like Correa is both in the BPA zone and covers their next need.

ETA: I'd recommend Correa as the pick here.
Packers also have a need for interior defensive linemen after Rajii unexpected retirement

Dude please tell me you are Jerry Reese in real life!! This needs to happen
Thanks. I agree it's worked out as I've anticipated. Even better yet, 3.1 from Tenn is due shortly from the first trade down from 10 to 15. Considering the haul so far and the value still available, in the real draft I'd shop it for a 2 next year.

Packers also have a need for interior defensive linemen after Rajii unexpected retirement
Looking at one thing I saw which lists 3-4 vs. 4-3 in prospects, I see the next two 3-4 DTs as Austin Johnson and Kenny Clark.

This article lists TE as the next need after ILB, so Austin Hooper (the next ranked TE) could fill that need. He ranked around the end of the 2nd, early 3rd, so not much of a reach if they have TE high on their list. Richard Rodger's hail mary aside, wasn't really a receiving threat the rest of the season.

As much as I didn't want this to happen I think Hooper has gotta be the pick here. If they are gonna go for a receiving TE this year, outside of a tweener receiver Hoopers gotta be the guy. Already got your dynamic ILB in Ragland.

Hooper was almost definitely gonna be one of my two picks  :kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread