What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shaun Alexander career highlight reel (1 Viewer)

Righetti

Footballguy
This thread is not one to knock Alexander's talents, production, ability, situation etc. Just a general question.Shaun Alexander is one of the most productive running backs of this era, he grinds it out, delivers in short-distances, scores TD's, carries his team on his back and everything else you might want out of a franchise back.The one thing that Shaun does not have is a trunk-load of highlights, I was sitting at dinner last night and overheard a coversation between two buddies.. "He is good but he is just not spectacular, he never does anything that makes you drop your jaw" I got to thinking and any highlight I can think of is Shaun's ability to plunge it into the end-zone from 2 yards in. Whereas a player like Brandon Lloyd is all highlight no statistics, Shaun Alexander seems to be all statistics and no highlights.if he eventually goes into the HOF along with LT2 for example and they run a highlight reel on ESPN the two will not even look like they are in the same league.

Kinda like Emmitt Smith, the league's all-time leading rusher. I really don't remember anything spectacular, he just knew when and where to go. Shaun does the exact same thing, as does Priest Holmes. They're not going to entertain you with ankle-breaking, jaw-dropping moves, but they get the job done.

It would consist of following Walter Jones/Steve Hutchinson for a one yard fall to the ground TD.NFL wise.... one the most over-rated RB's ever.From a Fantasy persective......gold!

I remember Emmitt running with a seperated shoulder for close to 200 yards and single handedly beating the Eagles or Giants (Can't remember which team...I think it was the Eagles).Emmitt >>>>>>SA

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexander has plenty of nice long TD runs in his career. He has just as many highlights as the next guy, except for Tomlinson of course.

Sorry to go off topic here, and I am sure you have been asked this before...but fridayfrenzy, who is that in your avatar?

Alexander has some of the nicest runs in the league. Everyone here all really ignorant to the fact he is the best back in the league. No one has a better combination of visoin and speed. Dont forget he ran a 4.3 40 at the combine. Also h led the league in 20 yd runs im sure he has some highlights.

I think he had a few highlight plays when he scored 5 TDs in the first half against the Vikings on a Sunday night a few years ago.As an Alexander owner :excited: As a Viking fan :wall:

I remember Emmitt running with a seperated shoulder for close to 200 yards and single handedly beating the Eagles or Giants (Can't remember which team...I think it was the Eagles).

Emmitt >>>>>>SA
Hard to compare him as a player to a tough guy like Emmitt. Until I see Alexander show some heart he'll just be a very good RB playing behind a great OL.

Sorry to go off topic here, and I am sure you have been asked this before...

but fridayfrenzy, who is that in your avatar?
Brandon Lloyd. Loves making the highlight reel. :thumbup:

I think he had a few highlight plays when he scored 5 TDs in the first half against the Vikings on a Sunday night a few years ago.

As an Alexander owner :excited:

As a Viking fan :wall:
That's the only game that comes to mind for me as well.

I can think of tons of SA highlights. The guy looks to break long runs as much as any player. He's always in the secondary using his swerving smooth style to extend runs. :thumbdown: to the SA haters

I remember Emmitt running with a seperated shoulder for close to 200 yards and single handedly beating the Eagles or Giants (Can't remember which team...I think it was the Eagles).

Emmitt >>>>>>SA
Hard to compare him as a player to a tough guy like Emmitt. Until I see Alexander show some heart he'll just be a very good RB playing behind a great OL.
Sounds exactly like Emmitt. A very good RB playing behind a great OL.

A "highlight reel" play almost inevitably means that somebody on your team (usually you) ####ed something up. Either blockers blew it, you made the wrong read and had to adjust, your QB made a blunder of a call, your QB threw a bad pass, or you were out of position. Something went wrong, otherwise, know what you get?Reliable statistical production, with very little highlight value.SA and the 'hawks #### up less than these other units, and now he gets criticized for it. It's absurd.When you're a RB, and a hole collapses, you've got a couple choices. You can jump back, scramble around, and hope you make a highlight reel play (and you will sometimes, but more often, you'll make a busted play into a nightmare), or you can lower your shoulder and take a 1 or 2 yard gain. I credit SA for taking the more reliable route.

Alexander has some of the nicest runs in the league. Everyone here all really ignorant to the fact he is the best back in the league. No one has a better combination of visoin and speed. Dont forget he ran a 4.3 40 at the combine. Also h led the league in 20 yd runs im sure he has some highlights.
Not to highjack the thread, but SA has never been regarded as a burner and has never posted such 40 times. He is of good, but not exceptional speed.He does follow his outstanding blocking well, and does not go down easy. Good balance, and yards after contact. That's what I have found most impressive in terms of SA highlights, he's kind of slippery for a good size back.

Not to highjack the thread, but SA has never been regarded as a burner and has never posted such 40 times. He is of good, but not exceptional speed.He does follow his outstanding blocking well, and does not go down easy. Good balance, and yards after contact. That's what I have found most impressive in terms of SA highlights, he's kind of slippery for a good size back.
Well have you watched him play..he is a burner, made even more impressive because of his size

He doesn't have a defining run, but not many RB's do. See his 5TD performance in the first half a few years ago, or his 90 yard scamper earlier this season. Alexander is one of the few RB's in the NFL that could excel in any situation...

When you're a RB, and a hole collapses, you've got a couple choices. You can jump back, scramble around, and hope you make a highlight reel play (and you will sometimes, but more often, you'll make a busted play into a nightmare), or you can lower your shoulder and take a 1 or 2 yard gain. I credit SA for taking the more reliable route.
Woah...I can't agree with this one. Not going to say anything about Alexander as a whole, but when the hole collapses on him, he loses yards the majority of the time. Just look back at the last couple games, every time the hole collapsed he would do that little step back thing (except really slowly) and lose yards. I remember at one point thinking to myself after Morris had a few short yards that Alexander should follow suit and just lower his shoulder rather than trying to juke backwards like he does, he really tries to avoid contact a whole lot (that's how he got the concussion, he tried to do one of those WR falls that Holt/Bruce like to do after catching a slant over the middle, he never would have gotten that concussion had he initiated contact like you expect a running back to do).I'm not saying a thousand other running backs don't do the same thing, but to say that Alexander lowers his head and picks up a few yards when there's nowhere to go is crazy, his greatess weakness (not that he has many weaknesses) is his inability to do just that.

Guys like Alexander will never have a "jaw-dropping" run. It's not his style. His longer runs are predicated on subtle acceleration, rather than starting and stopping. He's pretty similar to Tony Dorsett. Dorsett didn't have the "jaw-dropping runs" (and "it" was not a "jaw-dropping" run -- if Dallas had the ball at the 30, you would have never seen it) either. He looks like he's coasting, but next thing you know, he's 25 yards down the field.

I think he had a few highlight plays when he scored 5 TDs in the first half against the Vikings on a Sunday night a few years ago.

As an Alexander owner :excited:

As a Viking fan :wall:
That's the only game that comes to mind for me as well.
The next year, also on SNF, he ran for 260+ against the Raiders and had some nice runs.And as the only player to have 15+ TDs in 5 straight years, rushing champ this year and 1 yard away last year, leading the league this year with 20+yard runs, etc... there are plenty of highlight reels. He may have a lot of short yardage TDs, but who do you think got the ball inside the 5 in the first place? They have about a 50-50 pass to run ratio, do the math.

If you really want to see an SA highlight reel, just watch the left side of the line. SA owes a ton of his yardage to the blocking of Jones and Hutchinson, they make perfect holes for his gliding cut-back style.

When you're a RB, and a hole collapses, you've got a couple choices. You can jump back, scramble around, and hope you make a highlight reel play (and you will sometimes, but more often, you'll make a busted play into a nightmare), or you can lower your shoulder and take a 1 or 2 yard gain. I credit SA for taking the more reliable route.
Woah...I can't agree with this one. Not going to say anything about Alexander as a whole, but when the hole collapses on him, he loses yards the majority of the time. Just look back at the last couple games, every time the hole collapsed he would do that little step back thing (except really slowly) and lose yards. I remember at one point thinking to myself after Morris had a few short yards that Alexander should follow suit and just lower his shoulder rather than trying to juke backwards like he does, he really tries to avoid contact a whole lot (that's how he got the concussion, he tried to do one of those WR falls that Holt/Bruce like to do after catching a slant over the middle, he never would have gotten that concussion had he initiated contact like you expect a running back to do).I'm not saying a thousand other running backs don't do the same thing, but to say that Alexander lowers his head and picks up a few yards when there's nowhere to go is crazy, his greatess weakness (not that he has many weaknesses) is his inability to do just that.
That was a major problem for him, prior to the last 2 years. And it's crept back in the last few games. I'm not happy about it, and he's frustrating me even on a 132 yard/2 TD game. He goes down easy on contact inside (to varying degrees) or tries to kick it out and crumbles up when he finally sees it's hopeless.This year however, he was 16/16 on 3rd & 1, a vast improvement in running style. It's creeping back, but I think he'll come out bombing since the game is also his last tryout for the big contract next year.

All of this assumes you're already aware that he runs behind THE BEST LINE in the NFL. And behind Jones who should be considered in every discussion of best overall player in the league.

Youre going to have to provide a link for that.I remember his times being closer to 4.6

Edit to add visual clarification:

Link

RB SHAUN ALEXANDER

(5-11 5/8, 218, 4.65) Alabama

Notes: High school and Parade All-American. Honor student in high school. Kentucky prep Player of the Year. Enrolled at Alabama in 1995 and redshirted. Played in 11 games in ’96 and carried 77 times for 589 yards (7.6-yard average) and six touchdowns and catching seven passes for 53 yards. Almost half of Alexander’s yardage came in one fabulous game vs. Louisiana State, in which he carried 20-291-4. Was slowed by injuries in ’97 and never really got untracked, carrying 90-415-3 and catching 3-37. Came into his own in ’98, when he was featured and used more as a one-back. Carried 258-1,178-13 and caught 26-385 and four touchdowns. Had 14 plays of 20 yards or more and scored on seven of them. Made his senior season his best, despite being slowed by an ankle sprain he suffered Oct. 23 vs. Tennessee, missing the following game vs. Southern Mississippi and being handicapped by the injury until December. Carried 302-1,383-19, caught 25-323-4 and returned two kickoffs for 90 yards and one touchdown. Won second-team All-Southeastern Conference honors in ’98 and was a first-team selection in ’99, when he was also named SEC Offensive Player of the Year and finished seventh in the Heisman Trophy voting. Alexander was also sensational in the Jan. 1 Orange Bowl, rushing for 161 yards and three scores and catching the ball well.

Positives: Good size. Exceptional running skills and vision. Runs with great patience yet without hesitation. Knows how to set up and use his blockers. Makes very quick and good decisions. Mind and body work together so there is no hesitation. Sees the cut-back lane. Has a burst of speed. Can make the first man miss and at times will string moves together. Above-average power and strength. Excellent balance and body control. Has learned how to finish his runs. Generally catches the ball well. Unlike many backs, he does a good job of catching the ball down the field. Quickly turns back into a runner after the catch. Has improved blitz pickup, blocking and toughness. Scores touchdowns. Has gotten into the endzone 40 times in the past two years. Generally comes up big in big games. Although he does not switch the ball from arm to arm to keep it further away from tacklers, it is not regarded as a negative because he is not a fumbler.

Negatives: Still is not the toughest, most physical back around. Does not seem to extend himself if he sees that there is nothing there for him. Runs much better to the outside than to the inside. Will run a little tall and narrow-based on occasion. Does not have the great finishing speed to take it to the house and can be run down from behind.

Summary: A natural runner with size, pass-catching skills and a burst of speed. Has gotten tougher and better every year. Has a good chance to start in the NFL and could start as a rookie if he improves his running between the tackles.
Edit to add further clarification: Link 2
A lot of teams will find backup running backs in this draft. How many find starters is another matter. There are a few top-end players, but there aren't many sure things. Look for a number of teams to take running backs in the second to fourth rounds.

TSN PLAYER RATINGS

1 Thomas Jones Virginia 5-10, 216, 4.45(*)

A complete back with burst, speed and pass-catching ability. Brings an element of toughness to a team. Could be a younger version of Emmitt Smith, but he doesn't break as many tackles. Eludes defenders well. Has a good build for a running back. Hits the hole hard.

2 Ron Dayne Wisconsin 5-10, 259, 4.55

Powerful big back who is the NCAA's all-time leading ground gainer Runs over defenders. Has vision as a runner. Plays with instinct. Did not catch many balls in college, so his hands are a question. Isn't real elusive, but has a nice little sidestep. Has the feet of a smaller man. Must control his weight.

3 Jamal Lewis([dagger]) Tennessee 5-11, 240, 4.38

A freakish combination of size and speed but does not play as fast as his 40 time. Explosive runner. Has good hands. Needs to break more tackles. Short stepper. Durability is a question. Vision as a runner is average and doesn't avoid very well. Teams are all over the board on him.

4 J.R. Redmond Arizona State 11, 216, 4.50

Tremendous athlete who also has played some defensive back. Shows downhill acceleration to the hole and has home run speed. Has the ability to cut back and elude. Sees the field well. Keeps a good pad level. Good hands. Can return kicks. Hasn't been as consistent as teams would like.

5 Shaun Alexander Alabama 5-11, 218, 4.69

Runs with vision and patience, and was very productive in college. Has agility to redirect. Is put together. Isn't very effective as an inside runner. Doesn't get a lot of yards after contact. Isn't a real fast back and lacks instant quickness. Has exceptional hands and feel in the passing game

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on. The guy has to have at least one highlight clip right? I know there are Seattle fans around. We all recognize that he runs well in space so let's see something he creates on his own.

I remember reading about Alexander describing his own running style. He basically said his style was something along the lines of "drip, drip, GUSH.." or something of that nature. Which sounds about right. He's a terrible fit in an offense where he has to respond on his feet and make plays on his own, but he's a beast when his line gives him enough room to accelerate.

I remember reading about Alexander describing his own running style. He basically said his style was something along the lines of "drip, drip, GUSH.." or something of that nature. Which sounds about right. He's a terrible fit in an offense where he has to respond on his feet and make plays on his own, but he's a beast when his line gives him enough room to accelerate.
I remember that. The year I picked Alexander in the first round, I named my team Drip Drip Gush.He did an awful lot of dripping when Walter Jones held out, which is something any team considering going after him should keep in mind.

I remember reading about Alexander describing his own running style.  He basically said his style was something along the lines of "drip, drip, GUSH.." or something of that nature.  Which sounds about right.  He's a terrible fit in an offense where he has to respond on his feet and make plays on his own, but he's a beast when his line gives him enough room to accelerate.
I remember that. The year I picked Alexander in the first round, I named my team Drip Drip Gush.He did an awful lot of dripping when Walter Jones held out, which is something any team considering going after him should keep in mind.
:lmao: I find the bolded part funny, but that is seriously an awesome team name, and one I will have to give consideration to in the future.

Kinda like Emmitt Smith, the league's all-time leading rusher. I really don't remember anything spectacular, he just knew when and where to go. Shaun does the exact same thing, as does Priest Holmes. They're not going to entertain you with ankle-breaking, jaw-dropping moves, but they get the job done.
Really? You need to see him pre- 1997 when he was still young. Seems like all people around here remember are his latter days in the league. He was a highlight machine early in his career when he was scampering for 80 yards and stiff arming a pursuing Darrel Green to the ground on his way to the endzone.Take all his highlights away and he's still a far superior back to a soft ### cookie like Alexander. Emmitt Never dove the the ground or just laid down before contact.

SA not even in the same breath as Emmitt Smith when it's all said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread