What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shaun Alexander speaks up (1 Viewer)

The difference?

"Are you kidding me? You know the play," said Alexander, who is in the final year of his contract.

NO. we don't know "THE PLAY" - Was it the Fumble Vs the Jets Shaun?

That does blow. Is he a FA next year? Does he walk because of this?You would have thought the defense would have pulled a page out of Rudy. Either let the Falcons score or play some D so he could get back on the field.

My first impression from the outisde is that this was Holmgren's going away present to Shaun for all those times he refused to run like Holmgren wanted him to (stop dancing and hit the hole...and finish your freaking runs!).

That does blow. Is he a FA next year? Does he walk because of this?
Yes, he's a FA. I have a feeling he had decided to walk a long time ago. This just gives the media something more to rant with.

Just lost all respect for him and Holmgren. Updating Holmgren throughout the game on how close he was to the record so he could get it. I have always perceived Alexander as nothing but a stats monster. You won the bleeping game, Shaun!! Your team scored on the play you're beeatching about!! You have a home game in the 1st round. Wake up, dude. Hope the 'Hawks lose in the 1st round :wall:

All the more reasons I'm happy Martin got the title.Martin = CLASS ACT! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Shick!I think Shaun Alexander is by all accounts a good person and obviously a very talented player who has arguably been the lone source of consistent excellence over the Seahawks last half decade.However, I think his comments in this regard are at best misguided and at worst inflammatory and unfounded. If you want to chalk his comments up as one bad misstep in the face of a relatively stellar career of service in Seattle, I'm fine with that; but there's no question he was being selfish IMHO.As Mike Golic said today on Mike & Mike in the Morning, Alexander has always been a gracious guest on their show, but he's ALWAYS been very vocal about how he feels he's overlooked by the media and NFL fans in general because he's in Seattle. As Golic touched on, Alexander wants to go to a big market team so he can get "his due" and I see no reason why the Seahawks, if Holmgren remains, will stand in his way.

I've never heard anything bad about Shaun Alexander, but this comment is really pathetic. You play to win the game first and all individual goals come next. The fact of the matter is the Seahawks weren't a lock to win the game at the goal line as Alexander suggests. Atlanta almost sent the game into OT. Alexander has a right to be disappointed he didn't win the rushing title. That would have been a great honor. However, he should've been more focused on the fact his team just won a division title and was headed to the playoffs. I'm wondering if Alexander would've whined like a punk were this not his free-agent year.

This was not a meaningless game - the division title was on the line for crying out loud! STFUP SA! All you need to know about the two players:MArtin - could care less about the rushing title when asked - focused on losing the game and the playoffsSA - crying and whining until the end - more concerned with himself than the team. He's gone next year

That does blow. Is he a FA next year? Does he walk because of this?
Yes, he's a FA. I have a feeling he had decided to walk a long time ago. This just gives the media something more to rant with.
Miami Dolphins have the potential to make a Chargers-esque turn around next year...Matt Leinart/Aaron Rodgers, Shaun Alexander, Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael... Wonder what their cap situation is like.

I'm wondering if Alexander would've whined like a punk were this not his free-agent year.
Exactly what I was thinking. From an outsider's view, Alexander has always been a personable, affable guy, but perhaps the thoughts of millions of dollars inside his head has changed his thought process (as can be expected).First his comments about going to the Dolphins, and now this. Clearly he's got his mind on a big contract more so than making a playoff run.Question to Shick and other 'Hawks homers: if Alexander leaves, what are your thoughts about his replacement? Morris? RBBC with Morris/Carter? Free agent signing (e.g., Jordan)? Highly drafted rookie?

That does blow. Is he a FA next year? Does he walk because of this?You would have thought the defense would have pulled a page out of Rudy. Either let the Falcons score or play some D so he could get back on the field.
Thats like when Ricky Davis shot at the wrong basket at the end of a game to get 1 more rebound for a triple double. I mean, c'mon. I'm glad Martin won the rushing title, I believe he went from 11th all time in yards to 4th just this season! This is a great honor for a great back. If Martin would have lost by one yard to Shaun, you would not have heard something like this come from his mouth.Martin lost more carries to Jordan (he had 93) than Alexander did to Morris AND Strong (combined for 66). Martin wouldn't tell you that.Not only that, I'm sure there were at least two carries this year where Alexander could have given a bit of extra effort to get another yard, or avoided a big hit near the sidelines at the end of a play.

I'm wondering if Alexander would've whined like a punk were this not his free-agent year.
Exactly what I've been thinking. From an outsider's view, Alexander has always been a personable, affable guy, but perhaps the thoughts of millions of dollars inside his head has changed his thought process (as can be expected).First his comments about going to the Dolphins, and now this. Clearly he's got his mind on a big contract more so than making a playoff run.Question to Shick and other 'Hawks homers: if Alexander leaves, what are your thoughts about his replacement? Morris? RBBC with Morris/Carter? Free agent signing (e.g., Jordan)? Highly drafted rookie?
It's a fantastic year for rookie RB candidates (strongest group in aggregate in years assuming DeAngelo Williams comes out) so they could get a potentially excellent replacement via the draft.

Wonder what their cap situation is like.
They're over but very manageable..with losing Fiedler, Seau, and a few other dead weights and restructures from being players...If they trade away one of their two corners (surtain or madison) then we'll really be able to make some moves...

Exactly what I've been thinking. From an outsider's view, Alexander has always been a personable, affable guy, but perhaps the thoughts of millions of dollars inside his head has changed his thought process (as can be expected).First his comments about going to the Dolphins, and now this. Clearly he's got his mind on a big contract more so than making a playoff run.Question to Shick and other 'Hawks homers: if Alexander leaves, what are your thoughts about his replacement? Morris? RBBC with Morris/Carter? Free agent signing (e.g., Jordan)? Highly drafted rookie?
It's a fantastic year for rookie RB candidates (strongest group in aggregate in years assuming DeAngelo Williams comes out) so they could get a potentially excellent replacement via the draft.
Certainly could go the rookie route, but the question is would they use their first or second rounder on an RB, or get a free agent and use their early picks on other areas of need.

I think SA wants to head back south anyway! I don`t think he will stay in Seatle now. The Seahawks were going to lose either Hasslebust or SA. now they can tag Hasslebust.

Alexander had the previous carry. They stopped him at the 1 yard line. He could've gotten his yard then. I was disappointed he didn't get the title, but c'mon, this is pretty selfish.

Did SA have any incentives in his contract that would have been paid had he won the rushing title?If so then I can see how he feels the coaching staff screwed him to save money.

I think SA wants to head back south anyway! I don`t think he will stay in Seatle now. The Seahawks were going to lose either Hasslebust or SA. now they can tag Hasslebust.
I agree he was gone anyway.I bet they tag Walter Jones again and sign Hasselbeck to the longer deal. Tagging a player means you're willing to pay him top 3 at his position money. I bet they can sign Hasselbeck for less than that, but doubt that would be true for Jones. He's worthy of top 3 at left tackle money.

Alexander had the previous carry. They stopped him at the 1 yard line. He could've gotten his yard then. I was disappointed he didn't get the title, but c'mon, this is pretty selfish.
Here was the play by play on their last possession:1-10-SEA40 (10:07) M.Hasselbeck pass to R.Hannam to SEA 48 for 8 yards (D.Hall, B.Scott).

2-2-SEA48 (9:38) S.Alexander up the middle to ATL 49 for 3 yards (K.McCadam).

1-10-ATL49 (9:05) S.Alexander left tackle to 50 for -1 yards (T.Hall).

2-11-50 (8:20) M.Hasselbeck pass to B.Engram to ATL 27 for 23 yards (A.Rossum).

1-10-ATL27 (7:36) S.Alexander left tackle to ATL 27 for no gain (B.Scott).

2-10-ATL27 (6:57) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Stevens to ATL 16 for 11 yards (B.Scott, B.Smith). ATL #91 Smith injured on play - walks off the field.

1-10-ATL16 (6:31) S.Alexander right tackle to ATL 14 for 2 yards (M.Stewart).

2-8-ATL14 (5:55) S.Alexander right tackle to ATL 3 for 11 yards (C.Draft).

1-3-ATL3 (5:13) S.Alexander up the middle to ATL 1 for 2 yards (C.Draft, B.Scott).

2-1-ATL1 (4:32) M.Hasselbeck up the middle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

Alexander had the previous carry.  They stopped him at the 1 yard line.  He could've gotten his yard then.  I was disappointed he didn't get the title, but c'mon, this is pretty selfish.
Here was the play by play on their last possession:1-10-SEA40 (10:07) M.Hasselbeck pass to R.Hannam to SEA 48 for 8 yards (D.Hall, B.Scott).

2-2-SEA48 (9:38) S.Alexander up the middle to ATL 49 for 3 yards (K.McCadam).

2-11-50 (8:20) M.Hasselbeck pass to B.Engram to ATL 27 for 23 yards (A.Rossum).

1-10-ATL27 (7:36) S.Alexander left tackle to ATL 27 for no gain (B.Scott).

2-10-ATL27 (6:57) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Stevens to ATL 16 for 11 yards (B.Scott, B.Smith). ATL #91 Smith injured on play - walks off the field.

1-10-ATL16 (6:31) S.Alexander right tackle to ATL 14 for 2 yards (M.Stewart).

2-8-ATL14 (5:55) S.Alexander right tackle to ATL 3 for 11 yards (C.Draft).

1-3-ATL3 (5:13) S.Alexander up the middle to ATL 1 for 2 yards (C.Draft, B.Scott).

2-1-ATL1 (4:32) M.Hasselbeck up the middle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.
So they go 60 yards in 10 plays, and Alexander gets the ball on 6 of those plays. Yet he's whining about one measly yard when he had 6 chances to get that extra yard.Bush league whining :thumbdown:

That last play does suprise me because of the Seahawks style of play calling. Other than KC with Holmes Seattle seems to always give 2 if not 3 chances to SA punch it in from in close.

Question to Shick and other 'Hawks homers: if Alexander leaves, what are your thoughts about his replacement? Morris? RBBC with Morris/Carter? Free agent signing (e.g., Jordan)? Highly drafted rookie?
I think they will give Morris a shot or take what's available in the draft. There are tons of different RBs in the NFL that can sprint through the gapping holes that Alexander saw on the left side of Seattle's line. LT Walter Jones and LG Steve Hutchinson are fantastic. Jones may be the best in the NFL. If you saw the 29 yard run Alexander had in the second quarter you might have noticed what Jones did on that play. He stood up the defensive end, and then worked his way around to the outside of the player to seal off the entire side. It was impressive.

If you wanted your extra yard Shaun you shouldn't have fumbled from the 1 yard line against the Jets two weeks ago.

Last edited:
D'oh!
1-10-ATL37 (5:15) S.Alexander left end to ATL 27 for 10 yards (C.Hall).Dude? He also had a carry for 0 yards off left tackle as well. If you check the season stats for running left vs right you might be a bit shocked.

:ScampersAwayToFindStats:

His agent needs to tell 'Leon' to ####, if for no other reason than this kind of selfish griping is not good for his market value, especially after the magical yard of discontent put his team into the post-season.

I guess now the big question is what does SA do next year after he signs a fat contract...does he try extra hard to win the rushing title to spite Holmgren or does he sit on his butt and count his cash? My guess is he dissappoints.

I guess now the big question is what does SA do next year after he signs a fat contract...does he try extra hard to win the rushing title to spite Holmgren or does he sit on his butt and count his cash? My guess is he dissappoints.
I think it completely depends on where he goes. If he is surrounded by a solid passing game and a good O-line he'll do well. If he forces a team to cut back on these things in order to sign him, I think he'll disappoint. I've been fairly vocal in the past saying that I think Alexander got too much of the credit for his success. His supporting cast has always played a major role in those fabulous statistics.

That last play does suprise me because of the Seahawks style of play calling. Other than KC with Holmes Seattle seems to always give 2 if not 3 chances to SA punch it in from in close.
Not on this drive
Code:
1-10-ATL41 (12:01) M.Hasselbeck pass to D.Jackson to ATL 34 for 7 yards (D.Hall). 2-3-ATL34 (11:27) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to I.Mili. 3-3-ATL34 (11:23) M.Hasselbeck pass to D.Jackson to ATL 26 for 8 yards (K.Brooking, D.Williams). 1-10-ATL26 (10:47) S.Alexander right tackle to ATL 25 for 1 yard (R.Coleman). 2-9-ATL25 (10:10) M.Hasselbeck pass to S.Alexander to ATL 19 for 6 yards (K.McCadam). 3-3-ATL19 (9:30) M.Hasselbeck pass to B.Engram to ATL 14 for 5 yards (K.Brooking). 1-10-ATL14 (8:52) S.Alexander right tackle to ATL 9 for 5 yards (M.Stewart). 2-5-ATL9 (8:18) M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete to D.Jackson. Pass ruled uncatchable. 3-5-ATL9 (8:13) M.Hasselbeck pass to R.Hannam to ATL 3 for 6 yards (A.Beasley). 1-3-ATL3 (7:38) M.Hasselbeck pass to J.Stevens for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN. J.Brown extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Darche, Holder-K.Walter.

Fantasy Football is KILLING the NFL!!

We have turned players into STAT WHORES!!

I am SOOO ashamed!!

I actually thought the big issue was: with 4:32 left in the game, how does Seattle not get the ball back? There is no way Holgrem knew at the time that that 1 yard would tie for the rushing title AND Alexander wouldn't get another chance. If I were Alexander, I would more likely blame the squishy defense then Holmgrem.

I am SOOO ashamed!!
I have a feeling you're saying that tongue in cheek, but if not, you do realize that the selfish pursuit of one's stats is hardly a byproduct of the last eight to ten years, right?Blame free agency and the salary cap for an increase in selfish pursuits; not fantasy football.

I believe fans are generally too quick to criticize players in most cases, but I don't see any possible way to defend this. Absolutely terrible form by Alexander. Terrible.

I am SOOO ashamed!!
I have a feeling you're saying that tongue in cheek, but if not, you do realize that the selfish pursuit of one's stats is hardly a byproduct of the last eight to ten years, right?Blame free agency and the salary cap for an increase in selfish pursuits; not fantasy football.
WHOREMONGERS!! :rant:

I am SOOO ashamed!!
Players are concerned with stats, but not because of Fantasy Football. The source of the problem are the agents and big 'incentive' contracts. I believe the author of the article at the beginning of this thread probably did a poor job on his homework. Is Alexander a free agent? Yes. Did Shaun miss out by 1 yard? Yes. Was Shaun upset? Yes. I wonder why the author never touched on 'why' Shaun was upset.It is very possible that Shaun had a huge incentive if he was to lead the league in rushing. Maybe 3, 4 or 5 million. The fact is, if there was a big insentive (3+ million), this would have been labled an 'unlikely incentive to be earned'. Which means, if the Shaun reaches the incentive and Seattle pays him, the money counts against next year's cap.

So there are two questions to be asked:

1) As a member of Seattle, do you want to penalized 3+ million dollars against next year's cap for a player you don't plan on having on the roster?

2) As Shaun Alexander, would you be upset about this?

Who cares about the rushing title? Wow, you missed leading the league in rushing, whoop-di-freakin do. How about getting your pathetic, underachieving team to a Superbowl and stop whining?

If Alexander goes elsewhere, I would like to see him even come close to a rushing record dancing behind a line that will most likley not be as good as Seattle's.Have fun rushing behind that Miami O-Line Shaun.I am curious as to where Alexander thinks he will come close to his stats with another team.Do you think Alexander rather play somewhere where he will get the media attention but not the stats? Would he rather have the money and not be able to some close to a rushing title?Sorry to break it to you Alexander but playing behind Mack Strong and the Seattle O-Line will be hard to match somewhere else. And if you do leave, you will see how much you benefitted from the system...not so much your skills alone.

lol at this being ok and TO yelling at Knapp on the sideline isnt :rofl:
Ummm...WTF are you talking about?By the looks of it, it isn't ok by the responses in this thread.But keep whining about how T.O. doesn't deserve his bad rep....good one...lol

STAT WHORES!!
Mildly amusing story about that...The Nashville talk station frequently has Neil O'Donnell chattering about the NFL. Nothing too exciting, just the usual stuff: young players today have no respect for the game, the NFL is not as good as it was back in my day, everything was perfect 10 years ago and is now crap. You know, that sort of stuff.

Anyway, they were talking about Manning's record, and the non-O'Donnell host of the show was making the point that people --- both inside and outside the game --- place far less emphasis on football records than baseball records. He wasn't making a value judgement either way, just pointing it out.

O'Donnell was quick to agree, and then even quicker to point out that "I still hold the record, to this day, for lowest interception to touchdown ratio, but you don't see me talking about it." Well, first of all, here you are talking about it. Second of all, what record? If you go look at O'Donnell's stats, it's very hard to imagine what record he might be talking about.

So it's nice to see some of the young players like Shaun Alexander living up to O'Donnell's high standard of how NFL players ought to conduct themselves. :thumbup:

Some time during the pregames yesterday I thought I heard that the Jets had someone on the sideline keeping up with Martin's yards. They were trying to get him the rushing title too. Imagine if the two teams were playing at the same time.

STAT WHORES!!
Mildly amusing story about that...The Nashville talk station frequently has Neil O'Donnell chattering about the NFL. Nothing too exciting, just the usual stuff: young players today have no respect for the game, the NFL is not as good as it was back in my day, everything was perfect 10 years ago and is now crap. You know, that sort of stuff.

Anyway, they were talking about Manning's record, and the non-O'Donnell host of the show was making the point that people --- both inside and outside the game --- place far less emphasis on football records than baseball records. He wasn't making a value judgement either way, just pointing it out.

O'Donnell was quick to agree, and then even quicker to point out that "I still hold the record, to this day, for lowest interception to touchdown ratio, but you don't see me talking about it." Well, first of all, here you are talking about it. Second of all, what record? If you go look at O'Donnell's stats, it's very hard to imagine what record he might be talking about.

So it's nice to see some of the young players like Shaun Alexander living up to O'Donnell's high standard of how NFL players ought to conduct themselves. :thumbup:
It's funny to read this because as soon as I hear the name Neil O'Donnell I immediately think of his record...it's all I really remember about him.O'Donnell has the lowest INT% in NFL history (meaning INTs per pass attempt) and announcers used to always mention that when commenting on his games as a testament to his ability to "manage" games.

lol at this being ok
:confused: What are you talking about? Who says this is "ok"? I'm guessing you posted without reading the whole thread. Its full of comments like this:
I believe fans are generally too quick to criticize players in most cases, but I don't see any possible way to defend this. Absolutely terrible form by Alexander. Terrible.

I am SOOO ashamed!!
Players are concerned with stats, but not because of Fantasy Football. The source of the problem are the agents and big 'incentive' contracts. I believe the author of the article at the beginning of this thread probably did a poor job on his homework. Is Alexander a free agent? Yes. Did Shaun miss out by 1 yard? Yes. Was Shaun upset? Yes. I wonder why the author never touched on 'why' Shaun was upset.It is very possible that Shaun had a huge incentive if he was to lead the league in rushing. Maybe 3, 4 or 5 million. The fact is, if there was a big insentive (3+ million), this would have been labled an 'unlikely incentive to be earned'. Which means, if the Shaun reaches the incentive and Seattle pays him, the money counts against next year's cap.

So there are two questions to be asked:

1) As a member of Seattle, do you want to penalized 3+ million dollars against next year's cap for a player you don't plan on having on the roster?

2) As Shaun Alexander, would you be upset about this?
I could be reading this wrong, but are you implying that they coaches called that play so they wouldn't have to play him the money? This is crazy, as they clearly gave him the balls several times on that drive. He was stopped 1 yard shy. Plus, there was more than 4 minutes left. They probably just assumed they'd have a chance at running the clock out if the Hawks D could've stopped anything.

It's funny to read this because as soon as I hear the name Neil O'Donnell I immediately think of his record...it's all I really remember about him.
That's funny, when I think of him, all I remember is his TD/INT ratio in Super Bowls. Not nearly as good. :hot:

Users who are viewing this thread