What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sleeper / WW Tight Ends - For now and to keep an eye on (1 Viewer)

Koya

Footballguy
Whether by plan or otherwise, some of us are left with a less than exciting option at TE after the draft... but don't feel too bad about that considering we passed on said TE for a reason. Better talent, a needed Handcuff, etc.

So, for those of us who punted the TE position or simply arent happy with who we have, who are the guys you are looking to pick up early in the season, guys who might become viable starters - or even a hidden gem. I am not talking about Bo Schaife and Owen Daniels here. I'm talking Visante Shiancoe (sp?) and Marcedes Lewis types.

Lewis actually is a viable candidate I would think.

Alex Smith in TB

Des. Clark - is he a good option in the early season?

Martin in Mia (know nothing but have heard rumblings)

Who is the guy in Denver?

Thoughts? :unsure:

John Madsen of the Raiders. He's the co-starter and he's a converted WR who will still play in the slot some. He was one of (if not the) most impressive TE in preseason.

John Madsen of the Raiders. He's the co-starter and he's a converted WR who will still play in the slot some. He was one of (if not the) most impressive TE in preseason.
Hmmmm. Interesting. First I have heard of this... thanks for the info.

Deep sleeper - Brent Celek in Philly. If he gets off to agood start and L:J Smith stays hurt, he could have value.

Jeff King...Carolina

Michael Gaines gone now.

It's basically King (ex-VT basketball player) as the starter...a rookie backup...and a waiver wire pickup as TE right now.

Deep sleeper - Brent Celek in Philly. If he gets off to agood start and L:J Smith stays hurt, he could have value.
what's the latest on l.j.? :confused:
After practicing on Monday, L.J. Smith said he's only at "75 percent" and will take a wait-and-see approach regarding his availability for Week 1.The Eagles will practice in pads later in the week and we'll get a better feel for Smith's status then, but he's looking questionable at this point.

Celek will score a TD week one.. it is as certain as LT2 scoring.. mark it down... he will produce epsecially this week

Keep'em coming. Some good info here. As is the case with others I have LJ and right now it looks like I may need another option.

I think Marcus Pollard has a shot to be a decent TE option this season. The Seahawks have talked about using their TE more and Pollard could deliver some decent production.

D. Lee or Bubba Franks in GB.

Favre loves the TEs in the redzone - I'm just not sure which one will end up on the field w/ Martin in MIA now. Bubba was having problems w/ drops the last couple of years, so I'd guess Lee @ this point, but maybe a cheesehead can add something here.

Also Utect (sp) in INDY is a possible TD (not yardage) candidate.

Whether by plan or otherwise, some of us are left with a less than exciting option at TE after the draft... but don't feel too bad about that considering we passed on said TE for a reason. Better talent, a needed Handcuff, etc.So, for those of us who punted the TE position or simply arent happy with who we have, who are the guys you are looking to pick up early in the season, guys who might become viable starters - or even a hidden gem. I am not talking about Bo Schaife and Owen Daniels here. I'm talking Visante Shiancoe (sp?) and Marcedes Lewis types.Lewis actually is a viable candidate I would think.Alex Smith in TBDes. Clark - is he a good option in the early season?Martin in Mia (know nothing but have heard rumblings)Who is the guy in Denver?Thoughts? :thumbup:
D.Martin TE Miami...all know Green can't throw..it will be like McNair going to Heap!

I think Marcus Pollard has a shot to be a decent TE option this season. The Seahawks have talked about using their TE more and Pollard could deliver some decent production.
On the money here. I think Pollard has a chance to put up some pretty good numbers this year. At least a shot at top 12 TEs.

what's the latest on l.j.? :unsure:
After practicing on Monday, L.J. Smith said he's only at "75 percent" and will take a wait-and-see approach regarding his availability for Week 1.The Eagles will practice in pads later in the week and we'll get a better feel for Smith's status then, but he's looking questionable at this point.

Celek will score a TD week one.. it is as certain as LT2 scoring.. mark it down... he will produce epsecially this week
There's a very real possibility this is LJ Smith's last year as an Eagle. The team has made it a priority to sign young players to long term deals before they enter the last year of a contract. There's been no such effort for LJ. And he's hurt. And Celek has come in and looked great during preseason. Not sure if the final game made a difference, but after the 3rd preseason game Celek was the Eagles leading receiver and looked good doing it. He's a good blocker and showed great skill running after the catch. My opinion is he's the Eagles #1 TE in 2008. I've heard him compared to Chad Lewis.

Greg Olsen.
Isnt he out for a month hence D Clark (Bears) being a good start for the time being?
Not out for a month. Tuesday, September 04, 4:25 PM EST (Week 1)News Story: Olsen's left-knee sprain, suffered in the preseason finale, could keep him out of action for a week or two. (Brad Biggs for SN)Fantasy Analysis: He remains a game-time decision, but it looks more and more like Olsen will miss the Bears' Week 1 contest against the Chargers. Once healthy, Olsen has the potential for fantasy value in an offense that is emphasizing the tight ends in its passing attack this season.Source: Fantasy Football Wire--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Tuesday, September 04, 6:37 AM EST (Week 1)News Story: Bears tight end Greg Olsen emerged from the locker room Monday with a slight limp and without a special brace supporting his left knee. That's progress, considering the way Olsen slowly left the field during Thursday night's exhibition against the Cleveland Browns.Fantasy Analysis: This is a good sign but with only five days until the start of the season, Olsen is in the very questionable class.Source: Fantasy Insights--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Monday, September 03, 9:16 PM EST (Week Pre-season)News Story: Bears rookie tight end Greg Olsen received positive news regarding his injured left knee over the weekend. According to the Associated Press, an MRI on the knee showed no structural damage, and Olsen has been listed as a game-time decision for the Bears week one game against San Diego by head coach Lovie Smith.Source: RotoTimes

What about Shiancoe in Minnesota? He showed athletiticm with the Giants. A young QB might suck overall, but could learn on the TE for a number of targets a game.

I am not talking about Bo Schaife and Owen Daniels here. Alex Smith in TBDes. Clark - is he a good option in the early season?Martin in Mia (know nothing but have heard rumblings)Who is the guy in Denver?Thoughts? :popcorn:
Bo Scaife
Work with me here, people.
lol, totally missed that part! :lmao:
It's still preseason at FBGs for a couple days, I'll let it slide. :banned:
:thumbup:

On the money here. I think Pollard has a chance to put up some pretty good numbers this year. At least a shot at top 12 TEs.
Two things about Pollard..has to stay back alot to block and AGE!
I disagree here. Pollard is older, but without Stevens, I've read that the Seahawks brought in Pollard to be primarily a receiving tight end. I've also read where Holmgren has said that Pollard will have the chance to catch 50 balls or more.I'm not saying that will happen, but in 2005 he caught 46 balls with the Lions.I just think the Seahawks need the TE to be an viable option in the passing game.

Two things about Pollard..has to stay back alot to block and AGE!
I disagree here. Pollard is older, but without Stevens, I've read that the Seahawks brought in Pollard to be primarily a receiving tight end. I've also read where Holmgren has said that Pollard will have the chance to catch 50 balls or more.I'm not saying that will happen, but in 2005 he caught 46 balls with the Lions.I just think the Seahawks need the TE to be an viable option in the passing game.
Think...why in the world whould a coach blabber out that he wants his TE to receive more (50 even)..reason to make sure that outside linebacker doesn't bliz his QB.

Users who are viewing this thread