What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Snowmageddon 2022 (2 Viewers)

Why do you guys put up with that cold miserable weather?
Honestly, if I wasn't a teacher, I'm not sure. That said tomorrow will be the 5th day in the last 3 weeks where work has been canceled. Wednesday is also in play as a potential day off.

43 degrees in PGH 25 hours ago. It's -2 now. Coldest winter I can remember.

Eta: It was in the 40's for less than an hour around 3:30 am, by 7 am Monday it had dropped 15 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't every area have it's weather-related troubles? The west has earthquakes and wildfires, the southwest has flooding and heatwaves, the midwest has tornadoes, the southeast has hurricanes.

Everyone in those areas probably says the same thing: That they would rather have their weather than anywhere else. With the cold, though, you can always throw on more clothes or stay inside.

Doesn't every area have it's weather-related troubles? The west has earthquakes and wildfires, the southwest has flooding and heatwaves, the midwest has tornadoes, the southeast has hurricanes.Everyone in those areas probably says the same thing: That they would rather have their weather than anywhere else. With the cold, though, you can always throw on more clothes or stay inside.
Good point, where I live it gets too cold in the winter and too muggy in the summer, but there aren't really any catastrophic weather dangers. No earthquakes, forest fires, hurricanes, tsunamis, landslides, floods, droughts, and a minimal threat from tornados. It is a decent trade I suppose.

Snowing and sticking in Birmingham. Schools already out, people freaking out. No one knows how to drive in snow here. My wife has been in the car 45 minutes trying to get home, normally takes under 5 minutes.

I'm sure grocery stores are being looted of milk and bread as we speak.

Checking in from Minnesota.... You know its bad when any temp over zero is considered "nice" out, FML......HaHa, 2018 Superbowl here we come!

Virginia Beach here, calling for 7-10 inches. Anticipate the region shutting down for almost a week and food riots starting by Thursday.

About an inch or two in Atlanta so far. It started around 10 this morning, didn't stick for the first couple of hours and has been mostly flurries. I told my wife not to go to work. She said she had to because a colleague is visiting from out of town. She left to come home after lunch, at 1:30. She's traveled about a block in two hours. Complete gridlock both ways, nowhere to go. Trying to find her a hotel now.

All hotels are sold out. I told her to pull off the road and sit tight until the traffic lets up. I'm guessing that won't be until 7 or 8 tonight.

Well it's 32 & dropping here in New Orleans, sleet, maybe snow, temps declining to b/w 16-19 maybe by tomorrow. Offices and schools are closed across and all around the city. Basically Orleanians are incapable of operating machinery or cars under these arctic like conditions.

Could someone explain the 'complete gridlock' after an inch of snow to me? I get that ATL, Austin etc never sees snow, but a monkey could drive through an inch of snow. Unless the road is shut down due to an accident, why can't you go 1 mile in less than 2 hours?

About an inch or two in Atlanta so far. It started around 10 this morning, didn't stick for the first couple of hours and has been mostly flurries. I told my wife not to go to work. She said she had to because a colleague is visiting from out of town. She left to come home after lunch, at 1:30. She's traveled about a block in two hours. Complete gridlock both ways, nowhere to go. Trying to find her a hotel now.
I was on the phone with my Atlanta team and was surprised to hear the voice of one of the guys who told me he was heading home several hours earlier... apparently he spent an hour in a traffic jam before giving up and walking back to the office. Oh yeah, the traffic jam was in the building's parking garage.

What a mess.

Locals driving in ice or snow is ridiculous. Cars go sliding across lanes, it's like bumper cars eventually. No skills is the root of it but there must be other things at play. Anyway it's ugly.

She pulled onto a side road and started sliding all over the place. Other cars are sitting motionless on the road in all odd directions because they slid and just stopped there. A bus started honking at my wife and she refused to move, so it passed her and slid into a tree. She's crying, scared, has no idea what to do. I told her to sit tight. :shrug:

This sucks.

mr roboto said:
Could someone explain the 'complete gridlock' after an inch of snow to me? I get that ATL, Austin etc never sees snow, but a monkey could drive through an inch of snow. Unless the road is shut down due to an accident, why can't you go 1 mile in less than 2 hours?
Lack of all weather tires causing accidents? Huge influx of commuters at irregular times?

When I had a couple firefighters at the house last week (CO detector went off) I asked one how many accidents he responded to that day due to snow over night. He has observed that when commuters wake up to snow, morning rush hour is smooth.

When the snow impacts during the day, the evening commute is a mess.

Probably doesn't explain everything, but these could be factors.

ETA: My area has an annual snowfall of 23"

mr roboto said:
It's my experience that the first inch or two of snow is often the worst part of driving especially if it's a wet snow. Between 2-6 inches is doable if you drive carefully and you have all wheel or 4-wheel but after 6 inches your kinda stuck where your at. Now transfer that initial 1-2 inches to a place with drivers who are not at all familiar with handling a vehicle in slick conditions and BAM! gridlock.

mr roboto said:
Monkeys are way smarter than Southerners when there is an inch of snow on the ground. It's honestly like everyone's IQ drops to equal the temperature. It's absolutely maddening. It's just as bad in Birmingham with about 1/8 the population of Atlanta if that. I can't even imagine how bad ATL is.

I'm not trying to be mean to my friends in the south, but driving through snow just means driving slower. Unless you are driving rear wheel drive cars with racing tires, 1 inch of snow is not difficult to get through.

Two inches and still snowing. Cars are smashing into each other all around her. She's going to try to find any spot to pull off, then walk to a restaurant or something. When the traffic dies down tonight, I'll go get her.

So ridiculous. We're both from up north and know how to drive in snow. But when the city has no plows or salt trucks and every other moron on the road panics and there are accidents everywhere, it becomes kind of impossible.

I'm sorry for this McG. Not questioning your wife's driving. I guess it's just hard to imagine having lived and driven in 15 Minnesota/Illinois winters.

We went out on New Year's Eve. Drove through 3 inches of snow to the restaurant with thousands of other people on the road. After we left to go home, 2 more inches had fallen. The main roads were plowed but slick, but the side streets had 3-5 inches of snow and I got through just fine with a Toyota Sienna.

Instead of 30 minutes, it took 45-55 minutes. No cars in the ditch, against a tree etc.

I would imagine people drive differently if there is an inch of water after a rain storm. Heck, the last time I was in ATL I got caught in a downpour. Everyone drove slower, slowed down when the got to standing water. No one hydroplaned or spun out.

I'm not trying to be mean to my friends in the south, but driving through snow just means driving slower. Unless you are driving rear wheel drive cars with racing tires, 1 inch of snow is not difficult to get through.
You're not being mean. You're actually being nice. Southerners are ####### idiot ####tard morons when snow hits. If it weren't for the masses of idiot ####tards on the roads, the rest of us could get around just fine.

We get a ton of rain here but that doesn't mean people drive like they've seen it before.. When it rains here, i try to avoid the interstate as much as possible. There are always some yahoos trying to go 90 in heavy traffic with reduced visibility and wet roads. I'd rather take the surface roads where I have options when some knucklehead blocks traffic with a wreck.

Ice/snow would just be that mess to some exponential power.

She pulled onto a side road and started sliding all over the place. Other cars are sitting motionless on the road in all odd directions because they slid and just stopped there. A bus started honking at my wife and she refused to move, so it passed her and slid into a tree. She's crying, scared, has no idea what to do. I told her to sit tight. :shrug:

This sucks.
I MUST love my wife. When it snows she drives my 4WD equipped Isuzu Trooper, which is an absolute BEAST in ice and snow. Feels real solid. Secure. I drive her Scion Xb which feels like... well... kinda like a kitten being skipped across the surface of a pond.

Did ATL get it's typical inch or so of ice first? That's what sucks the most down here. It's one thing to drive in the snow, it's quite another to drive on an ice rink. Problem is, most don't consider the difference. Right now, we are getting our ice and in a couple hours it will get covered up by an inch or two of snow. It's not like driving in a couple inches of solid snow. Not making excuses, just trying to provide insight. Throw on top of that the fact that people don't have tires ready for this kind of weather and it's easy to see why the problem exists.

eh, that's overly simplistic, imo. Driving in snow means driving slower but it also means not over steering when your car wiggles and waggles, pumping the breaks(assuming no abs) if the car skids when stopping, turning into the spin if indeed you do hit a slick patch, all the thing folks who live with snow know all about but for those who live down the holler maybe not so much.

My water is running in my sink 24/7 these days, two busted pipes has me where I am now.

For the mid-Atlantic, it's pretty ####### cold. I'm also a bit worried about my cabin in Michigan, but I won't know if anything went wrong there until the spring.

I'm trying to convince her to walk the half mile back to the office. She's wearing flats. Okay, there's a ####### Marshalls across the street. Buy boots. Go back to your office and sleep in your cube. No, it's not safe. Huh?!

So she's saying she's going to sleep in the car. I told her that's less safe than sleeping in her office building.

Whatever. This is so absurd.

My water is running in my sink 24/7 these days, two busted pipes has me where I am now.

For the mid-Atlantic, it's pretty ####### cold. I'm also a bit worried about my cabin in Michigan, but I won't know if anything went wrong there until the spring.
The genius's who built my high ranch back in the '50's located the inbound water right next to the garage door. Not to mention that the pipes for both toilets upstairs are exposed in the garage as well.

#######s.

Oh- AND my kitchen sink is located in a bump out that is under insulated. I have had a ceramic heater cycling on and off for a couple of weeks to prevent a freeze up. It happened once before...

I'm trying to convince her to walk the half mile back to the office. She's wearing flats. Okay, there's a ####### Marshalls across the street. Buy boots. Go back to your office and sleep in your cube. No, it's not safe. Huh?!

So she's saying she's going to sleep in the car. I told her that's less safe than sleeping in her office building.

Tell her to hang out in Marshall's until you can rescue her. May cost you some dough, but...

Yeah, that's really really not safe for a lot of reasons. Either option actually. I wouldn't want her walking anywhere within 50 yards of a side of the road and sleeping in the car is just asking for either hypothermia or getting plowed into by another vehicle. The next bus could hit her rather than a tree.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Locals driving in ice or snow is ridiculous. Cars go sliding across lanes, it's like bumper cars eventually. No skills is the root of it but there must be other things at play. Anyway it's ugly.
Saints, there are numerous people from our office in New Orleans for the NADA show over the past weekend, they are stating all flights out are cancelled, the best they can get out is tomorrow afternoon. Is the airport shutdown?

Called every hotel in the area, all booked. Saved Knights Inn for last, because obviously that place is a ####hole. Indian lady answers...yes, they have a room. Wonderful. Better than freezing to death. It's about a mile away so she should be there in a few hours.

Stupidly drove from Charlotte to Atlanta last night for a customer visit today. We were supposed to drive back, but cancelled that. Stuck in Atlanta hotel for one more night (assuming we can get out tomorrow). Right now I'm looking out my window @ I-285,its not moving.

I just took an instragram shot from my room: mwill07

The genius's who built my high ranch back in the '50's located the inbound water right next to the garage door. Not to mention that the pipes for both toilets upstairs are exposed in the garage as well.

#######s.

Oh- AND my kitchen sink is located in a bump out that is under insulated. I have had a ceramic heater cycling on and off for a couple of weeks to prevent a freeze up. It happened once before...
I'm dealing with the cold water line to washing machine, again. Exterior wall, single line. Pipe is insulated and has heat tape to a portion. There's two inches to an elbow and about two inches from the elbow that I can't cover.

Going to have a plumber look at layout and see if it can't be improved.

Users who are viewing this thread