What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spencer Ware, possibly the new work horse (2 Viewers)

Snap numbers

Spencer Ware led the Chiefs RBs with 69% of snaps and 15 touches. He’s clearly the lead RB as we all thought. He also led them w/ 23 routes. Damien Williams did have 7 touches, leading KC RBs with 2 targets, 2 catches and played 26.5% of snaps. He’s a stash, especially in PPR.
Not the overwhelming numbers we thought, but ~70% is workable in that O. Ware mentioned himself he's not fully back the the knee surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snap numbers

Not the overwhelming numbers we thought, but ~70% is workable in that O. Ware mentioned himself he's not fully back the the knee surgery.
70% is the same average Hunt had this season.

Also, I signing West is good for Ware. The Chiefs dumped West after playing behind Hunt (while Ware was hurt) all last season. When Ware and West were both playing in 2016, West played behind Ware. Why would the Chiefs signs West off the street to suddenly take an increased role from Ware, when he couldn't do this in 2016, and was cut in favor of Ware after 2017? 

70% is the same average Hunt had this season.

Also, I signing West is good for Ware. The Chiefs dumped West after playing behind Hunt (while Ware was hurt) all last season. When Ware and West were both playing in 2016, West played behind Ware. Why would the Chiefs signs West off the street to suddenly take an increased role from Ware, when he couldn't do this in 2016, and was cut in favor of Ware after 2017? 
i don't know if this is good for ware, but largely agree with this and it's how I read into the signing. this should mean the playbook, for the most part and for the running game, goes back to what they did in 2016 with the duo. of course with Mahommes there instead of Smith, it won't be exactly like 2016, but at least the game planning and player alignment becomes a simpler transition here with West.

i don't know if this is good for ware, but largely agree with this and it's how I read into the signing. this should mean the playbook, for the most part and for the running game, goes back to what they did in 2016 with the duo. of course with Mahommes there instead of Smith, it won't be exactly like 2016, but at least the game planning and player alignment becomes a simpler transition here with West.
Fair point. Mahomes looks downfield a lot more than Smith did. 

ware was on field for 70% of snaps.... which just so happens to be the season average for hunt.

are they signing shark west to free up damian williams for a  bigger early down role? Or did he stink in pass pro so they want shark west who knows what to do in pass pro? 

There may be too many bodies ahead of him, but I’d be interested in seeing what this kid Derrel (not Damien) Williams has. They clearly thought enough of him to hold onto him after the preseason.

There may be too many bodies ahead of him, but I’d be interested in seeing what this kid Derrel (not Damien) Williams has. They clearly thought enough of him to hold onto him after preseason.
Maybe he'll get some time the last game of the season but too many guys ahead of him. Still could be a good pick up in dynasty since who knows what is going to happen in the off season and in training camp next year.

Maybe he'll get some time the last game of the season but too many guys ahead of him. Still could be a good pick up in dynasty since who knows what is going to happen in the off season and in training camp next year.
Good point when early signs are not pointing to a particularly strong FA/rookie crop.

I forgot one interesting thing... Since Hunt was suspended late Friday night, Ware had virtually no 1st team reps last week... only the work on Saturday and of course game day. I would think he'd be a lot fresher this week; too bad he gets Baltimore.

Matt Waldman wrote in his column "Spencer Ware looked healthy enough. He ran hard, but he was not the focus of the game plan. Still he didn't look exactly like the 2016 version that rumbled through defenses with tremendous cut-back ability. He looked 85-90 percent of his old self. He's worth using but if you can afford to wait-and-see, do that."

There may be too many bodies ahead of him, but I’d be interested in seeing what this kid Derrel (not Damien) Williams has. They clearly thought enough of him to hold onto him after the preseason.
Yep. No way I'm dropping him until I see what happens in the offseason. There's no guarantee KC goes out & signs a RB in FA or takes one on day 1 or 2. Without any evidence to prove it, the roster dynamics makes me think they're pretty high on this kid. 

Williams is a powerful runner, but what I really like about him is his pass-catching ability. From what I saw (albeit limited action), he looks like a plus receiver. Williams actually reminds me of Hunt somewhat.

Yep. No way I'm dropping him until I see what happens in the offseason. There's no guarantee KC goes out & signs a RB in FA or takes one on day 1 or 2. Without any evidence to prove it, the roster dynamics makes me think they're pretty high on this kid. 

Williams is a powerful runner, but what I really like about him is his pass-catching ability. From what I saw (albeit limited action), he looks like a plus receiver. Williams actually reminds me of Hunt somewhat.
I agree he is a hold until we see what the Chiefs do, although I suspect their 2019 RB1 is not on their current roster.

Darrel Williams reminds me of Spencer Ware rather than Hunt.

socrates said:
I agree he is a hold until we see what the Chiefs do, although I suspect their 2019 RB1 is not on their current roster.

Darrel Williams reminds me of Spencer Ware rather than Hunt.
I’m not saying he’s Hunt, but Williams has the combination of toughness & receiving ability that makes him intriguing.

I could see them passing on a top RB in the offseason so they can put more emphasis on D.

Williams’ upside make him a great stash.

Spencer Ware v. BAL: I pegged Kareem Hunt as a likely Top 10 RB dropout way back in August and I’ll end up being right about that for all the wrong reasons. I suspected back then Hunt’s production would tail off in a loaded KC offense with too many mouths to feed, but he was instead done in by a startling lack of respect for other human beings. Some people just don’t get it and now Spencer Ware stands to inherit the lion’s share of RB carries/glory for this juggernaut Chiefs offense. I’m pretty fired up about how productive Ware can be heading into the fantasy playoffs, but also pretty leery of a brutal Week 14 matchup against the Ravens. Baltimore is yielding only 12.6 FPts/G to opposing RBs and have only allowed one of them to post triple-digit yardage. The volume may be there, but the production may not.

- doug orth

Spencer Ware v. BAL: I pegged Kareem Hunt as a likely Top 10 RB dropout way back in August and I’ll end up being right about that for all the wrong reasons. I suspected back then Hunt’s production would tail off in a loaded KC offense with too many mouths to feed, but he was instead done in by a startling lack of respect for other human beings. Some people just don’t get it and now Spencer Ware stands to inherit the lion’s share of RB carries/glory for this juggernaut Chiefs offense. I’m pretty fired up about how productive Ware can be heading into the fantasy playoffs, but also pretty leery of a brutal Week 14 matchup against the Ravens. Baltimore is yielding only 12.6 FPts/G to opposing RBs and have only allowed one of them to post triple-digit yardage. The volume may be there, but the production may not.

- doug orth
In one league I played Ware over Lindsay last week.....wont be doing that this week v Balt even with the matchup at home....maybe Ware in week15 if Im alive vs the Bolts.

Same here. Benching Ware for Ingram this week. 
Most with decent options will bench Ware this week and because FF works this way, he'll have a nice game on everyone's bench. Seriously though, Ravens are brutal against the run, starting DJ and Chubb over him. Chubb is a relatively easy call, DJ not so much.

Most with decent options will bench Ware this week and because FF works this way, he'll have a nice game on everyone's bench. Seriously though, Ravens are brutal against the run, starting DJ and Chubb over him. Chubb is a relatively easy call, DJ not so much.
Exactly. I was seriously thinking about benching DJ too. That crap from last week was almost the tipping point 

Really debating whether to start Ware or Dante Pettis vs. a Chris Harris-less Denver team playing in SF. Marquise Goodwin back will take pressure off Pettis and he has a good rapport with Mullens. Ware may have tons of opportunity and all he needs is a TD. It comes down to who is more likely to score 8-9 points in standard...

I’m not saying he’s Hunt, but Williams has the combination of toughness & receiving ability that makes him intriguing.

I could see them passing on a top RB in the offseason so they can put more emphasis on D.

Williams’ upside make him a great stash.
Given that the Chiefs had three guys ahead of Darrel Williams on the roster all year and still do with West's signing. I'd say it's going to be a stretch to assume Darrel Williams becoming the guy next year. Even if Ware, Damien and West all leave, the chiefs would certainly bring in other veteran guys as well as hit the draft class. Right now Ware has the best shot at being brought back and keeping the job.

Starting Ware over Tre'Quan Smith @TB. I checked the actual numbers for Baltimore vs. RBs and at home with that Offense, there's a chance for success. Not predictind mindblowing numbers, but 15/60 and 1 TD is what I hope for.
Me too. I have Ware going in two ppr leagues where I'm fighting desperately the urge not to panic as in one I've gone against Henry and I'm considering Ty Montgomery in the hopes he'll catch 5-7 balls and in another where I've just lost Beckham, I'm considering Josh Adams. But again, that's ppr and Ware is the better bet to catch a pass at least. I feel like I should stay with the solid player on a nuclear offense at home and not get cute in the fantasy playoffs despite already being in two damn large holes....

Unless you believe the Ravens are going to win the game with ball control on offense...y'all are too low on Ware.  The KC offense should be your tiebreaker with tough calls.

Going Godwin and Cohen over Ware this week in half PPR. Was back and forth between Ware and Godwin, but I like Godwin's matchup more. 

Spencer Ware rushed 15 times for 75 yards and caught all five of his targets for 54 yards in the Chiefs' Week 14 win over the Ravens.

He played much better in this one than he did last week against the Raiders. The Ravens were blitzing Patrick Mahomes at will, so he spent a lot of the day flipping the ball out to his running backs and tight ends. Ware had a bunch of yards but lost out on two short touchdowns to Damien Williams, who ran one in from one yard away and then caught a five-yarder. Ware will again be in the RB2 mix on Thursday against the Chargers as long as he's healthy. Ware had to leave for a period of time in the second quarter with a shoulder issue.
Shoulder issue is something to monitor. He may have asked out in overtime.

PUBLISHED SUN DEC 9 2:46:00 P.M. MT 2018 

(Rotoworld) Spencer Ware rushed 15 times for 75 yards and caught all five of his targets for 54 yards in the Chiefs' Week 14 win over the Ravens.

Analysis: He played much better in this one than he did last week against the Raiders. The Ravens were blitzing Patrick Mahomes at will, so he spent a lot of the day flipping the ball out to his running backs and tight ends. Ware had a bunch of yards but lost out on two short touchdowns to Damien Williams, who ran one in from one yard away and then caught a five-yarder. Ware will again be in the RB2 mix on Thursday against the Chargers as long as he's healthy. Ware had to leave for a period of time in the second quarter with a shoulder issue.

I've seen nothing confirming a hamstring injury or any injury via Twitter. Fantasy sites quiet also, trying to see other sites.

EDIT: There is this by Andy Reid but he didn't say when it occurred. Ware was on the sidelines and got no treatment the plays he was out in OT. He was celebrating with teammates also so not sure how serious it is.
Found an A. Reid quote on this in one of the local KC sites. Didn't mention anything today on Ware I believe despite saying he expected T. Hill to play. Not sure if that's good (because it's a non issue) or bad (because it's significant).

Found an A. Reid quote on this in one of the local KC sites. Didn't mention anything today on Ware I believe despite saying he expected T. Hill to play. Not sure if that's good (because it's a non issue) or bad (because it's significant).
It’s too early to say and Ware could be getting more test done and/or treatment. As of right now, nothing can be done but wait. I will say that if it was ‘bad’, it would probably be out by now. Yet I would still give it 48 hours (at least) to be safe. Nothing pops then, Ware should be ok for Thursday. 

Users who are viewing this thread