What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL1 Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

I considered Dalton and Pierre Thomas with my last pick who both just came off the board. Ended up taking Clay who I am not crazy about, but seemed like the safest bet on the board at TE at this point.

Wow, my QB gamble got called. I did not think so many people would grab QB2s over position players. Hopefully Eli rebounds and can be serviceable

I considered Dalton and Pierre Thomas with my last pick who both just came off the board. Ended up taking Clay who I am not crazy about, but seemed like the safest bet on the board at TE at this point.
I averted disaster in the RB slot by getting Thomas...still not in great shape, but I would have been cooked if her were gone.

My roster is shaping up OK (and pretty balanced, which is new for me)...obviously going to need to get more RBs, and that may hurt my depth at other positions...we'll see.

QB:

Peyton Manning - 4

RB:

Montee Ball - 4

Pierre Thomas - 6

WR:

Percy Harvin - 4

Roddy White - 9

Eric Decker - 11

TE:

Martellus Bennett - 9

Lots of meetings today - I have predrafted my picks at the turn and will update the draft thread and the teams tonight. The MFL site has the draft list.

Mr. Irrelevant said:
Fullback Fro said:
Kaepernick

Roethlisberger

L.McCoy

Z.Stacy

Garcon

R.Cooper

M.Jones

A.Boldin

Ertz
Would you still have pulled the trigger on Kaep if you knew Big Ben would be there for you at 6.14? Heck of a combo but the opportunity cost there was pretty high too.
Probably, but being on the end I can't afford to take those kinds of risks.

Mr. Irrelevant said:
Fullback Fro said:
Kaepernick

Roethlisberger

L.McCoy

Z.Stacy

Garcon

R.Cooper

M.Jones

A.Boldin

Ertz
Would you still have pulled the trigger on Kaep if you knew Big Ben would be there for you at 6.14? Heck of a combo but the opportunity cost there was pretty high too.
Probably, but being on the end I can't afford to take those kinds of risks.
now adays in these leagues seems like you need to secure your backup QB by round 7 or you are just not gonna get one

I waited until Round 8 and was quite happy with EJ Manuel as my QB2. I know that was a gamble, especially with only 2 teams ahead of me with two rostered.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how my team looks right now, especially with me waiting for DeAngelo Williams to Round 9. I almost took him in Round 8 but then I doubt that EJ Manuel would have come back to me.

Roster so far:

Andrew Luck (10)

EJ Manuel (9)

Ray Rice (11)

Rashad Jennings (8)

DeAngelo Williams (12)

Calvin Johnson (9)

T.Y. Hilton (10)

Terrance Williams (11)

Vernon Davis (8)

Didn't mean to take Tannehill above Wilson, but that's what I get for drafting with my phone. I do like Tannehill this year with the beefed up offensive line so I'm not upset. Veldheer and Cooper should do wonders for Palmer's O-line, too. I didn't really want the 6th pick, but everything else couldn't have gone better. Got my target guy in each round so far, although I didn't have a specific target for QB1 or RB1.

QB15 Tannehill (6)

QB18 Palmer (7)

WR9 Fitzgerald (2)

WR24 Wallace (4)

WR44 Nicks (8)

RB4 Forte (1)

RB16 Mathews (3)

TE7 Olsen (5)

TE20 H. Miller (9)

9.04 132. Rudy Robinson, Khiry NOS RB

9.05 133. Jeff pasquino Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

9.07 135. Renesauz Ingram, Mark NOS RB

9.08 136. Go Pack Cooks, Brandin NOS WR

9.09 137. Pimpin Ain't Easy Amaro, Jace NYJ TE

9.11 139. Bronx Bomber Jackson, Fred BUF RB

It was very hard waiting for my pick at 9.12...lotta good players went off the board in Round 8/9. I really could have used another RB, and seeing Ingram/Robinson (who I could have paired with Thomas) and Fred Jackson go before me hurt. I also like the prospect of Jace Amaro, but feel OK with Ladarius Green as my #2 there. Cooks would have been a neat WR4 in a PPR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate coupling up the Forum with MFL, for the record...
I'm torn...my PDSL draft was terribly long (and I never worry about it taking too long) as we just stalled when guys were not around and a group of 4-5 could lock and load and move it along. With that said, it adds an extra step, especially if you are on a mobile phone.

PM'd Mastershake

1.13 Brandon Marshall, WR Bears - one of the last, if not THE last gamebreaker type available. I like the fact that he plays 2 games vs both Packers and Lions, I do not like the fact that he plays home games outside in the winter, and Minnesota will be playing outdoors this Season...

...I LOVE the fact that he is HUGE, that he's matured and taken on a leadership role with the Team, that he has a strong running game to take the pressure off, and a gunslinger of a QB who's not afraid to let Marshall go up and fight for the ball.
2.04: DeMarco Murray, RB Cowboys - one of the last, if not THE last 'Bell Cow' RB's capable of catching 48+ passes, scoring double-digit TD's, and in a upper-tier offense. Thought long and hard about Orange Julius and Brees here...
3.13: Jason WItten, TE Cowboys - Going into the far turn, I took a look at what 14, 15, and 16 had, since we're all facing a long swing back around....QB was a hair deeper than TE. Faced a conundrum with Witten being the last upper-tier TE on my list, but having 2 Cowboys/byes in my 1st 3 picks. Production won out, as I have Witten ranked ahead of Cameron and V. Davis...one Team already had a QB, and this wasn't 'take 2 QB with 2 consecutive picks' territory...yet.

...as it turns out, in the next 6 picks through the turn back to me, only 1 QB and 0 TE's were taken.

...Mastershake, Pahnder and Nugget - would any of you have taken Witten had he been there at the 2/3 turn?

4.04: Matt Ryan, QB Falcons: - The one QB taken between my picks was Brady. I didn't expect him to fall through, but IF 2 QB went, I thought they would have been Brady and Ryan, so I was pleased MR fell to me here. I think the Falcons/Ryan are going to come into this season with a MASSIVE chip on their collective shoulders after last year's disapppointing Season. If Ryan had been taken, I would have been in a quandry about QB, as Brady/Ryan is the end of my tier 2. I felt I had to have one before this 4/5 swing passed. Will be interesting at 5.13 to see if that was the right call...
5.13: Darren Sproles, RB Eagles / 6.04: Julian Edelman, WR Patriots - If I recall correctly, I usually pick in the middle of these things. Certainly doesn't 'feel' familiar drafting from a relative end position. 24 Picks between my even to odd Rounds. seems like an eternity...and it's like a slow death when you watch a Player you want maddeningly fall just short of your grasp. I was really hoping TY Hilton would fall to me at 5.13, but Pasq snagged him...at 5.05, though, so it's not like I got snaked...Emphasizing PPR with these last 2 picks - was deciding between Sproles and Colston, thought I might get both, but Edelman was my fallback option if Colston got sniped, which he did on next pick. Loads of PPR potential here. In an 'oh how the mighty have fallen' sense, I'm kinda surprised about passing over Steven Jackson. That's going to be something to watch for me here - had I taken Colston, would Sproles have been selected over Jackson, leaving me with Jackson at 6.04, so Sproles/Edelman vs Jackson/Colston, PPR vs TD's?
7.13: Joe Flacco, QB Ravens / 8.04: Steve Smith, WR Ravens - QB2's go so stupid early in these things, but in some cases, you just have to go with the flow. I wasn't about to take one at 6.04, which meant a long wait to 7.13. Got lucky, IMO, landing the last guy with upside potential. I want Ryan to be my QB1 every week, but Flacco is capable of having 'spikes' that could vault him statistically for a week here and there. I took Smith at 8.04 probably early, but at this point, I'm getting used to my draft position forcing me to grab what I want with these even round picks, thinking it won't be there when it gets back to me...I thought about Woodhead at 7.13, he went at 7.14 after I took Flacco, would be interesting to see if Flacco would have lasted to 8.04, but I'm happy with Smith - I don't know if there's a bigger competitor than Steve Smith, and I think his chip/shoulder mentality makes for a perfect landing in Baltimore, that, and Flacco's ability to hit the deep ball, and a healthy Pitta roaming the short/intermediate zones to draw coverage, have me really high on Smith...seems I should have been able to get a solid WR3 in Round 8, but this looks more like the start of a committee because Smith has always seemed like a guy who has up-and-down weeks. Well, at least he's a good committee guy in that sense, for survivor...

Picking on MFL with everyone set up to get email notification when they are up and then using the forum for discussion seems like the way to go. Making picks in the forum seems unecessary. I picked on MFL yesterday from my phone in my car at a stoplight. Could not do that on a message board and predrafting is much easier with MFL also.

Picking on MFL with everyone set up to get email notification when they are up and then using the forum for discussion seems like the way to go. Making picks in the forum seems unecessary. I picked on MFL yesterday from my phone in my car at a stoplight. Could not do that on a message board and predrafting is much easier with MFL also.
Some don't have access to mfl at work.

yeah I dont, but these new fan-dangled phones are pretty nice to surf with.

BassNBrew said:
I don't have MFL access at work but would still rather pick from my phone on MFL. Just my preference though and am fine with using both sites as needed

MFL issues

1. Expectation to enter draft at both sites and post autopicks...while some don't have access to both and others are on phone.

2. Inexperience with MFL as Commish to enter picks, fix problems, skipped picks...

3. Not sure what happened with my pick where the draft order was changed, I had to pick, not commish, when I pulled it up no players populated in draft when I was up, just kept resigning in until it worked...what, what!

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
BassNBrew said:
yeah I dont, but these new fan-dangled phones are pretty nice to surf with.
Seriously! Even if you don't want to pre-draft with your phone, all you have to do is sign up for mobile alerts (I get a text message every time a pick is made, but you can ask for only a message when it's your turn). Then follow the link from the mobile alert - it will take you to the draft page. Make pick. It takes a minute or two tops.

However, if your phone doesn't have internet or you can't access MFL from work, MFL gives me this handy little tip every single time I look at the draft:

Your draft will proceed much faster if you pre-draft your next pick!

MFL issues

1. Expectation to enter draft at both sites and post autopicks...while some don't have access to both and others are on phone.

2. Inexperience with MFL as Commish to enter picks, fix problems, skipped picks...

3. Not sure what happened with my pick where the draft order was changed, I had to pick, not commish, when I pulled it up no players populated in draft when I was up, just kept resigning in until it worked...what, what!
You were set up to populate players from your "wish/watch list", not ADP or alphabetical. Once I switched that the players came back.

Didn't mean to take Tannehill above Wilson, but that's what I get for drafting with my phone. I do like Tannehill this year with the beefed up offensive line so I'm not upset. Veldheer and Cooper should do wonders for Palmer's O-line, too. I didn't really want the 6th pick, but everything else couldn't have gone better. Got my target guy in each round so far, although I didn't have a specific target for QB1 or RB1.

QB15 Tannehill (6)

QB18 Palmer (7)

WR9 Fitzgerald (2)

WR24 Wallace (4)

WR44 Nicks (8)

RB4 Forte (1)

RB16 Mathews (3)

TE7 Olsen (5)

TE20 H. Miller (9)
I like your core team...I won last year with a similar lineup (and even had Mathews and Olsen on my squad).

I've always thought that the biggest purpose of these Drafts was the discussion threads. That these are supposed to be all about the commentary, and that's how all participants get better as a group so we're better drafters when fall comes around...

If that really IS the case, then it makes sense to both draft and discuss in the Forum here. Go to the Pick Thread and pick, back out into the Forum, go to the Commentary Thread and comment.

I don't know if it's provable yet, but having to jump from one site, one window to another, two threads plus mfl, it might have/have had, an adverse effect on the commentary.

I've always thought that the biggest purpose of these Drafts was the discussion threads. That these are supposed to be all about the commentary, and that's how all participants get better as a group so we're better drafters when fall comes around...

If that really IS the case, then it makes sense to both draft and discuss in the Forum here. Go to the Pick Thread and pick, back out into the Forum, go to the Commentary Thread and comment.

I don't know if it's provable yet, but having to jump from one site, one window to another, two threads plus mfl, it might have/have had, an adverse effect on the commentary.
I agree with this. I'm about to post my team lineup, hopefully to see feedback.

I waited until Round 8 and was quite happy with EJ Manuel as my QB2. I know that was a gamble, especially with only 2 teams ahead of me with two rostered.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how my team looks right now, especially with me waiting for DeAngelo Williams to Round 9. I almost took him in Round 8 but then I doubt that EJ Manuel would have come back to me.

Roster so far:

Andrew Luck (10)

EJ Manuel (9)

Ray Rice (11)

Rashad Jennings (8)

DeAngelo Williams (12)

Calvin Johnson (9)

T.Y. Hilton (10)

Terrance Williams (11)

Odell Beckham (8)

Vernon Davis (8)

Marcedes Lewis (11)
Added my TE2 and WR4 in the last two rounds.

Now I have my core team plus a backup at each key spot. Even better, all 3 RBs and all 4 WRs don't have common byes at the position, so I have a full starting lineup for skill spots as of now.

M. Lewis might have been a little early, but TE2 was getting dangerously thin and he was basically the last guy I would consider. Not of fan of Toilolo, and several teams are de-emphasizing the position in favor of 3 WR sets. I also thought up to 3 TEs could go between the 2 picks.

I was a little torn on Beckham, but as a WR4 with high upside I like him here. Had another guy I was considering but byes weren't favorable and I used that as somewhat of a tiebreak criteria. Had Stills made it back to me, I would have snapped him up.

The problem is we got to the point that not enough people wanted to maintain a draft thread. We just need to think of MFL as someone maintaining a draft thread and a place to pm picks in advance to the entire league.

QB15 Tannehill (6)

QB18 Palmer (7)

WR9 Fitzgerald (2)

WR24 Wallace (4)

WR44 Nicks (8)

RB4 Forte (1)

RB16 Mathews (3)

TE7 Olsen (5)

TE20 H. Miller (9)
I like your core team...I won last year with a similar lineup (and even had Mathews and Olsen on my squad).
Wallace and Tannehill are a boom/bust pair. I see a lot of injury risk with this team with age and history of injury throughout the roster.

My roster so far:

Brees (6)

Bradford (4)

Spiller (9)

T Richardson (10)

B Pierce (11)

D Thomas (4)

T Smith (11)

K Wright (9)

B Cooks (6)

Clay (5)

Seahawks D

Thought about going with only one QB in Brees, but decided to grab one of the last decent QB2 in Bradford. I went with only Rodgers last year and did quite well even surviving several weeks after he went down but utlimately not having a backup killed me

My RB's are boom bust with Spiller and Richardson. Both were likely first rounders a year ago. Hopefully they can bounce back from disappointing last seasons. Pierce may start a couple games if Rice is suspended and even when Rice plays, he will still get touches.

I like the WR's in that Thomas is my every week stud, Wright should be steady and then T Smith and Cooks could have some huge games and hopefully I don't have to cound them on their weeks where they only catch a couple balls

TE is a major weakness. Hoping Clay can be servicable like last year and need to get lucky with another one at some point.

Seattle D decided to get the top D rather than gamble on a backup elsewhere where lots of guys left on the board look about the same

This team will likely live or die depending on if Spiller/Richardson can be top 20 RB's or better most weeks

Roster so far:

Andrew Luck (10)

EJ Manuel (9)

Ray Rice (11)

Rashad Jennings (8)

DeAngelo Williams (12)

Calvin Johnson (9)

T.Y. Hilton (10)

Terrance Williams (11)

Odell Beckham (8)

Vernon Davis (8)

Marcedes Lewis (11)

Now I have my core team plus a backup at each key spot. Even better, all 3 RBs and all 4 WRs don't have common byes at the position, so I have a full starting lineup for skill spots as of now.

M. Lewis might have been a little early, but TE2 was getting dangerously thin and he was basically the last guy I would consider. Not of fan of Toilolo, and several teams are de-emphasizing the position in favor of 3 WR sets. I also thought up to 3 TEs could go between the 2 picks.

I was a little torn on Beckham, but as a WR4 with high upside I like him here. Had another guy I was considering but byes weren't favorable and I used that as somewhat of a tiebreak criteria. Had Stills made it back to me, I would have snapped him up.
Looks like you did a good job of balancing the picks to end up with the guys you want and a balanced team. It is sometimes hard not to reach a little and stick with ADP and take on some risk.

QB15 Tannehill (6)

QB18 Palmer (7)

WR9 Fitzgerald (2)

WR24 Wallace (4)

WR44 Nicks (8)

RB4 Forte (1)

RB16 Mathews (3)

TE7 Olsen (5)

TE20 H. Miller (9)
Wallace and Tannehill are a boom/bust pair. I see a lot of injury risk with this team with age and history of injury throughout the roster.
I will give you that on Tannehill/Wallace and even Nicks. Beyond that, he is pretty set. At TE, Olsen has a great opportunity to put up sub-elite TE numbers and Miller is a year removed from a 71-816-8 season (and still put up 58-593-1 last year)...Forte and Mathews are JUST what you are looking for when you draft this early (two guys locked and loaded as productive starters). Personally, I would have waited until I had more RB/WR depth before going two-deep on QB and TE, but guessing on timeshare situations is a recipe for disaster this early.

Kaepernick 8

Roethlisberger 12

L.McCoy 7

Z.Stacy 4

T. Mason 4

Garcon 10

R.Cooper 7

M.Jones 4

A.Boldin 8

A. Dobson 10

Ertz 7
2 new players added.

Tre Mason - not real excited about taking a backup but wanted to shore up the RB position in STL.

Dobson - Saw some real promise towards the end of last season. Inconsistency can be overcome in a best ball scenario.

Through 11:

QB - Foles, Dalton

Rb - Lacy, Toby Gerhardt, Andre Williams

WR - Victor Cruz, Jeremy Maclin, Justin Hunter, Kelvin Benjamin

TE - Julius Thomas, Coby Fleener

I think Andre Williams has that job in NYG land pretty soon, rashad jennings is meh and Wilson is well.... Wilson

Kaepernick 8

Roethlisberger 12

L.McCoy 7

Z.Stacy 4

T. Mason 4

Garcon 10

R.Cooper 7

M.Jones 4

A.Boldin 8

A. Dobson 10

Ertz 7
2 new players added.

Tre Mason - not real excited about taking a backup but wanted to shore up the RB position in STL.

Dobson - Saw some real promise towards the end of last season. Inconsistency can be overcome in a best ball scenario.
Not sure what to make of WRs in NE these days. Just when you think you have it figured out, it radically changes (aside from your slot guy).

I like the QB duo, but not sure on loading up on the STL RB situation.

It'll be interesting what rabbit you pull for TE2.

Through 11:

QB - Foles, Dalton

I think Andre Williams has that job in NYG land pretty soon, rashad jennings is meh and Wilson is well.... Wilson
I think Jennings holds on to at least the 3rd down back role, but he's definitely proven over the years to be a contributor, even if not asked to be the primary back. Difficult situation to size up, especially with uncertainty for the Giants in the passing game.

Good TE pair. Some risk with Maclin with durability, but I like the upside. Good QB pair as well.

QB15 Tannehill (6)

QB18 Palmer (7)

WR9 Fitzgerald (2)

WR24 Wallace (4)

WR44 Nicks (8)

RB4 Forte (1)

RB16 Mathews (3)

TE7 Olsen (5)

TE20 H. Miller (9)
I will give you that on Tannehill/Wallace and even Nicks. Beyond that, he is pretty set. At TE, Olsen has a great opportunity to put up sub-elite TE numbers and Miller is a year removed from a 71-816-8 season (and still put up 58-593-1 last year)...Forte and Mathews are JUST what you are looking for when you draft this early (two guys locked and loaded as productive starters). Personally, I would have waited until I had more RB/WR depth before going two-deep on QB and TE, but guessing on timeshare situations is a recipe for disaster this early.
Just to address the age / injury risk here:

Nicks is an easy one.

Forte is an older back for sure. Mathews is not durable, and SD wants others to help in the backfield like Woodhead and now Brown (although I doubt Brown gets much work).

At WR, all the receivers are on the wrong side of 30 or named Nicks (who I do like but is coming off injury). Not saying Fitz or Wallace are bad, just older and have injury risk as a result.

Heath Miller is far from durable, and if I'm not mistaken, he has the same bye as your other TE, so not sure what the plan was here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pitt use him as a blocker more again this season and go 3-wide often.

Through 11:

QB - Foles, Dalton

I think Jennings holds on to at least the 3rd down back role, but he's definitely proven over the years to be a contributor, even if not asked to be the primary back. Difficult situation to size up, especially with uncertainty for the Giants in the passing game.

Good TE pair. Some risk with Maclin with durability, but I like the upside. Good QB pair as well.
surprised to me that Dalton was actually QB4 in this format last year.

Maclins the wildcard need him to perform, the philly offense will be interesting without DeSean.

byes week are good across the board, a bad game at QB1 or TE1 probably wont screw me with thegood depth.

I really like Hunter to step up this season.

Just saw that Robert Woods went - he was the other guy I was considering when I chose Beckham. Not sure I made the right call or not, but that was a close call for me. Eventually I just went with upside and a favorable bye week.

Roster so far:

Andrew Luck (10)

EJ Manuel (9)

Ray Rice (11)

Rashad Jennings (8)

DeAngelo Williams (12)

Calvin Johnson (9)

T.Y. Hilton (10)

Terrance Williams (11)

Odell Beckham (8)

Vernon Davis (8)

Marcedes Lewis (11)

whats the thought on Ray Rice Jeff?

Risky with the possible suspension looming. Was value where you got him. I think one of Luck/Vern pick should of been a RB instead

Hilton & terrence williams are perfect for the format after Calvin though

Through 11:

QB - Foles, Dalton

surprised to me that Dalton was actually QB4 in this format last year.

Maclins the wildcard need him to perform, the philly offense will be interesting without DeSean.

byes week are good across the board, a bad game at QB1 or TE1 probably wont screw me with thegood depth.

I really like Hunter to step up this season.
Agreed on Maclin.

TEN WRs (and of course, Locker) plus TE - hard to figure out who's going to step up and be the consistent contributors outside of Wright, I think.

Roster so far:

Andrew Luck (10)

EJ Manuel (9)

Ray Rice (11)

Rashad Jennings (8)

DeAngelo Williams (12)

Calvin Johnson (9)

T.Y. Hilton (10)

Terrance Williams (11)

Odell Beckham (8)

Vernon Davis (8)

Marcedes Lewis (11)

whats the thought on Ray Rice Jeff?

Risky with the possible suspension looming. Was value where you got him. I think one of Luck/Vern pick should of been a RB instead

Hilton & terrence williams are perfect for the format after Calvin though
Ray Rice is interesting, looked like the wheels came off and a possible suspension looming.
It could go either way - boom or bust.

He had too much weight last year (about 10 pounds heavier than prior seasons) and I think he was focusing on bouncing back.

Baltimore talked about adding RB help, but they really didn't.

I think Rice is a good bounce back RB and a value where I got him. RB20-25 is about right.
Answered earlier, I thought....

QB15 Tannehill (6)

QB18 Palmer (7)

WR9 Fitzgerald (2)

WR24 Wallace (4)

WR44 Nicks (8)

RB4 Forte (1)

RB16 Mathews (3)

TE7 Olsen (5)

TE20 H. Miller (9)
Just to address the age / injury risk here:

Nicks is an easy one.

Forte is an older back for sure. Mathews is not durable, and SD wants others to help in the backfield like Woodhead and now Brown (although I doubt Brown gets much work).

At WR, all the receivers are on the wrong side of 30 or named Nicks (who I do like but is coming off injury). Not saying Fitz or Wallace are bad, just older and have injury risk as a result.

Heath Miller is far from durable, and if I'm not mistaken, he has the same bye as your other TE, so not sure what the plan was here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pitt use him as a blocker more again this season and go 3-wide often.
Looks like FF Ninja is looking at the wrong Bye weeks. Pitt & car are off on week12, if he makes it that far, a guarnteed goose egg at TE could be a death blow

Kaepernick 8

Roethlisberger 12

L.McCoy 7

Z.Stacy 4

T. Mason 4

Garcon 10

R.Cooper 7

M.Jones 4

A.Boldin 8

A. Dobson 10

Ertz 7
2 new players added.

Really like the QB pairing, should be close with mine for top pair

Just Ertz is the roll of the dice so far, TE cupboard is bare now.

Like the Dobson & Riley Cooper picks when you made them

Users who are viewing this thread