What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL1 Discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Through 11:

QB - Foles, Dalton

Rb - Lacy, Toby Gerhardt, Andre Williams

WR - Victor Cruz, Jeremy Maclin, Justin Hunter, Kelvin Benjamin

TE - Julius Thomas, Coby Fleener

I think Andre Williams has that job in NYG land pretty soon, rashad jennings is meh and Wilson is well.... Wilson
I think Jennings holds on to at least the 3rd down back role, but he's definitely proven over the years to be a contributor, even if not asked to be the primary back. Difficult situation to size up, especially with uncertainty for the Giants in the passing game.

Good TE pair. Some risk with Maclin with durability, but I like the upside. Good QB pair as well.
surprised to me that Dalton was actually QB4 in this format last year.

Maclins the wildcard need him to perform, the philly offense will be interesting without DeSean.

byes week are good across the board, a bad game at QB1 or TE1 probably wont screw me with thegood depth.

I really like Hunter to step up this season.
Agreed on Maclin.

TEN WRs (and of course, Locker) plus TE - hard to figure out who's going to step up and be the consistent contributors outside of Wright, I think.
yeah the beauty is I dont have to pick his good weeks, the weeks Locker hits him deep, BAM.

What do we think about K BEnajamin, i mean besides olsen there is nothing in Carolina, should step on the field and start. Big Redzone target

Through 11:

QB - Foles, Dalton

I think Andre Williams has that job in NYG land pretty soon, rashad jennings is meh and Wilson is well.... Wilson
Loaded at QB. Lacy may prove to be that stud that covers for weak depth. I really like your WRs, but Benjamin seems pricey compared to his 20th rd pdsl cost. You're set with Thomas. I wouldn't have taken Fleener with Thomas in hand. Would have preferred a Miller or Lewis type (lower weekly floor type).

Through 11:

QB - Foles, Dalton

Loaded at QB. Lacy may prove to be that stud that covers for weak depth. I really like your WRs, but Benjamin seems pricey compared to his 20th rd pdsl cost. You're set with Thomas. I wouldn't have taken Fleener with Thomas in hand. Would have preferred a Miller or Lewis type (lower weekly floor type).
yeah I debated that Fleener pick longer than I normally do when im OTC, Heath Miller went before him. The RBs & WRs available at that time where all in the same tier.

I thought about taking Rueben Randle, but I already had Victor Cruz, would of been odd, but might have worked.

Through 11:

QB - Foles, Dalton

always good to get those lower weekly floor types in survivors......

Didn't mean to take Tannehill above Wilson, but that's what I get for drafting with my phone. I do like Tannehill this year with the beefed up offensive line so I'm not upset. Veldheer and Cooper should do wonders for Palmer's O-line, too. I didn't really want the 6th pick, but everything else couldn't have gone better. Got my target guy in each round so far, although I didn't have a specific target for QB1 or RB1.

QB15 Tannehill (6)

QB18 Palmer (7)

WR9 Fitzgerald (2)

WR24 Wallace (4)

WR44 Nicks (8)

RB4 Forte (1)

RB16 Mathews (3)

TE7 Olsen (5)

TE20 H. Miller (9)
I like your core team...I won last year with a similar lineup (and even had Mathews and Olsen on my squad).
Wallace and Tannehill are a boom/bust pair. I see a lot of injury risk with this team with age and history of injury throughout the roster.
I will give you that on Tannehill/Wallace and even Nicks. Beyond that, he is pretty set. At TE, Olsen has a great opportunity to put up sub-elite TE numbers and Miller is a year removed from a 71-816-8 season (and still put up 58-593-1 last year)...Forte and Mathews are JUST what you are looking for when you draft this early (two guys locked and loaded as productive starters). Personally, I would have waited until I had more RB/WR depth before going two-deep on QB and TE, but guessing on timeshare situations is a recipe for disaster this early.
Just to address the age / injury risk here:Nicks is an easy one.

Forte is an older back for sure. Mathews is not durable, and SD wants others to help in the backfield like Woodhead and now Brown (although I doubt Brown gets much work).

At WR, all the receivers are on the wrong side of 30 or named Nicks (who I do like but is coming off injury). Not saying Fitz or Wallace are bad, just older and have injury risk as a result.

Heath Miller is far from durable, and if I'm not mistaken, he has the same bye as your other TE, so not sure what the plan was here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pitt use him as a blocker more again this season and go 3-wide often.
so being older increases your risk of injury....?

Through 11:

QB - Foles, Dalton

always good to get those lower weekly floor types in survivors......
Thanks for catching that smart ###!

Didn't mean to take Tannehill above Wilson, but that's what I get for drafting with my phone. I do like Tannehill this year with the beefed up offensive line so I'm not upset. Veldheer and Cooper should do wonders for Palmer's O-line, too. I didn't really want the 6th pick, but everything else couldn't have gone better. Got my target guy in each round so far, although I didn't have a specific target for QB1 or RB1.

QB15 Tannehill (6)

QB18 Palmer (7)

WR9 Fitzgerald (2)

WR24 Wallace (4)

WR44 Nicks (8)

RB4 Forte (1)

RB16 Mathews (3)

TE7 Olsen (5)

TE20 H. Miller (9)
I like your core team...I won last year with a similar lineup (and even had Mathews and Olsen on my squad).
Wallace and Tannehill are a boom/bust pair. I see a lot of injury risk with this team with age and history of injury throughout the roster.
I will give you that on Tannehill/Wallace and even Nicks. Beyond that, he is pretty set. At TE, Olsen has a great opportunity to put up sub-elite TE numbers and Miller is a year removed from a 71-816-8 season (and still put up 58-593-1 last year)...Forte and Mathews are JUST what you are looking for when you draft this early (two guys locked and loaded as productive starters). Personally, I would have waited until I had more RB/WR depth before going two-deep on QB and TE, but guessing on timeshare situations is a recipe for disaster this early.
Just to address the age / injury risk here:

Nicks is an easy one.

Forte is an older back for sure. Mathews is not durable, and SD wants others to help in the backfield like Woodhead and now Brown (although I doubt Brown gets much work).

At WR, all the receivers are on the wrong side of 30 or named Nicks (who I do like but is coming off injury). Not saying Fitz or Wallace are bad, just older and have injury risk as a result.

Heath Miller is far from durable, and if I'm not mistaken, he has the same bye as your other TE, so not sure what the plan was here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pitt use him as a blocker more again this season and go 3-wide often.
Appreciate the discussion. To address the injury concerns, yeah, Forte is older, but he's been pretty durable. I almost selected Lynch, but I see Chicago as up and coming. With the release of Bush, I could see Forte getting a LOT of TD plunges. Lacy seemed less durable than Forte, so that's why I was going to go with Lynch if I passed on Forte.

Mathews is more durable than he gets credit for. He did get injured in the playoffs and missed most of week 5 (?) with a concussion, but he carried quite a load last year and looked good doing it. If you look at his game log, his receptions and goal line looks really picked up in the second half of the season. Even with his questionable usage in the first half of the season, he still finished RB12. I think he is amazing value. I do not understand his poor valuation in all formats. If he plays 14 games, I expect him to finish RB10 or better. Woodhead was terrible between the tackles last year and Brown is not any more durable than Mathews, although I do like his talent. It was a smart acquisition for the team. He could fill in for Woodhead OR Mathews.

Fitzgerald is going to be 31 which is not old. I think it is silly how we equate RB age with WRs. We don't do it with TEs or QBs. Look at Wayne and AJ the last 2 years. Producing at elite levels beyond age 31. The only concern was the two separate hamstring injuries he suffered last year. Yet he still finished WR17 with them, so I am confident that if he stays healthy, I'm looking at a top 10 WR. Very possibly a return to top 5.

Nicks is definitely an injury risk, but not as bad as one thinks. Actually, it's almost a certainty that he'll miss 1-3 games. I'm ok with that kind of risk where I got him. Perfect WR3 IMO (for 16-team league). I'll be excited to land him and/or Amendola as my WR4/5 in 12-team leagues. Tremendous upside. With Wayne being 35, Nicks is easily the most talented guy on that roster. Yes, head and shoulders above Hilton.

Wallace is like 27. Don't know why anyone thinks he's old. He also finished WR25 last year in what was a worst case scenario. This year he's got a new OC and some much needed experience with Tannehill. But most importantly, their O-line features 4 new starters including Brandon Albert and a 1st round draft pick at the bookends. Should give Tannehill, the most sacked QB, some time to throw the ball.

Which brings me to my QBs, I love Tannehill's potential and really think this offensive line is going to give him a chance to shine. His weapons might not stand out, but Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, and Clay are not a bad group. Moreno and Miller are both capable pass catchers. This offense could explode this year with the revamped O-line. The green OC is my only concern.

Palmer also got some help in Veldheer, possibly the best LT on the market, and last year's rookie guard Cooper who was supposed to be a stud, but missed his rookie season due to offseason injury. I think they added a guard, too. This line should be much improved. In his second year under Arians, I think Palmer will shine. Arians likes the deep ball, so an improved line should help immensely. I don't think their run game is going to be impressive, so they will need to lean on Palmer. I'm excited to watch this team. With that said, I probably reached on Palmer, maybe even by two rounds, but I really wanted him.

At TE, yeah, I botched the bye weeks badly. I got all excited that Heath was still there and didn't even think (what were the chances? those are the only 2 teams on bye in week 12). The guy finished TE4 two years ago even though he missed week 17 that year. Last year he was coming off of an ACL injury. I think he easily finishes top 10 this year. Quite a steal. Luckily, only my RB4 has a week 12 bye. Maybe I can limp through week 12. Olsen is a great TE. Under appreciated. Maybe this year he takes off. If not, he'll just be another solid top 10 TE. Between the two of them, I should get some nice weeks.

Not in the list above, but I added Hill and Stewart as my RB3 and RB4. I seriously can't believe how low Hill went. I would have reached for him several rounds if I had to, but his ADP is so low I wanted to squeeze some value. This guy will probably get 200+ carries and 8+ TDs. I can't see them giving BJGE very many carries after they drafted his replacement. Stewart obviously increases my injury risk, but he should be the starting RB next year. He's 27 while Deangelo is 31. High risk/high reward at my RB4.

QB15 Tannehill (6)

QB18 Palmer (7)

WR9 Fitzgerald (2)

WR24 Wallace (4)

WR44 Nicks (8)

RB4 Forte (1)

RB16 Mathews (3)

TE7 Olsen (5)

TE20 H. Miller (9)
Just to address the age / injury risk here:

Nicks is an easy one.

Appreciate the discussion. To address the injury concerns, yeah, Forte is older, but he's been pretty durable. I almost selected Lynch, but I see Chicago as up and coming. With the release of Bush, I could see Forte getting a LOT of TD plunges. Lacy seemed less durable than Forte, so that's why I was going to go with Lynch if I passed on Forte.

Mathews is more durable than he gets credit for. He did get injured in the playoffs and missed most of week 5 (?) with a concussion, but he carried quite a load last year and looked good doing it. If you look at his game log, his receptions and goal line looks really picked up in the second half of the season. Even with his questionable usage in the first half of the season, he still finished RB12. I think he is amazing value. I do not understand his poor valuation in all formats. If he plays 14 games, I expect him to finish RB10 or better. Woodhead was terrible between the tackles last year and Brown is not any more durable than Mathews, although I do like his talent. It was a smart acquisition for the team. He could fill in for Woodhead OR Mathews.

Fitzgerald is going to be 31 which is not old. I think it is silly how we equate RB age with WRs. We don't do it with TEs or QBs. Look at Wayne and AJ the last 2 years. Producing at elite levels beyond age 31. The only concern was the two separate hamstring injuries he suffered last year. Yet he still finished WR17 with them, so I am confident that if he stays healthy, I'm looking at a top 10 WR. Very possibly a return to top 5.

Nicks is definitely an injury risk, but not as bad as one thinks. Actually, it's almost a certainty that he'll miss 1-3 games. I'm ok with that kind of risk where I got him. Perfect WR3 IMO (for 16-team league). I'll be excited to land him and/or Amendola as my WR4/5 in 12-team leagues. Tremendous upside. With Wayne being 35, Nicks is easily the most talented guy on that roster. Yes, head and shoulders above Hilton.

Wallace is like 27. Don't know why anyone thinks he's old. He also finished WR25 last year in what was a worst case scenario. This year he's got a new OC and some much needed experience with Tannehill. But most importantly, their O-line features 4 new starters including Brandon Albert and a 1st round draft pick at the bookends. Should give Tannehill, the most sacked QB, some time to throw the ball.

Which brings me to my QBs, I love Tannehill's potential and really think this offensive line is going to give him a chance to shine. His weapons might not stand out, but Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, and Clay are not a bad group. Moreno and Miller are both capable pass catchers. This offense could explode this year with the revamped O-line. The green OC is my only concern.

Palmer also got some help in Veldheer, possibly the best LT on the market, and last year's rookie guard Cooper who was supposed to be a stud, but missed his rookie season due to offseason injury. I think they added a guard, too. This line should be much improved. In his second year under Arians, I think Palmer will shine. Arians likes the deep ball, so an improved line should help immensely. I don't think their run game is going to be impressive, so they will need to lean on Palmer. I'm excited to watch this team. With that said, I probably reached on Palmer, maybe even by two rounds, but I really wanted him.

At TE, yeah, I botched the bye weeks badly. I got all excited that Heath was still there and didn't even think (what were the chances? those are the only 2 teams on bye in week 12). The guy finished TE4 two years ago even though he missed week 17 that year. Last year he was coming off of an ACL injury. I think he easily finishes top 10 this year. Quite a steal. Luckily, only my RB4 has a week 12 bye. Maybe I can limp through week 12. Olsen is a great TE. Under appreciated. Maybe this year he takes off. If not, he'll just be another solid top 10 TE. Between the two of them, I should get some nice weeks.

Not in the list above, but I added Hill and Stewart as my RB3 and RB4. I seriously can't believe how low Hill went. I would have reached for him several rounds if I had to, but his ADP is so low I wanted to squeeze some value. This guy will probably get 200+ carries and 8+ TDs. I can't see them giving BJGE very many carries after they drafted his replacement. Stewart obviously increases my injury risk, but he should be the starting RB next year. He's 27 while Deangelo is 31. High risk/high reward at my RB4.
i appreciate the discussion as well... nothing personal about your team, we're just talking about it, which is a good thing.

It was just my first observation that the team was older I like several of the names here (Forte, Nicks in particular) but I just see that it is possible that this team feels old and might break down late in the regular season.

Forte is definitely older, but he has been durable - but they just drafted a RB for the first time since they picked Forte (or at least picked one as early as they did this year). He may not feel a threat this season, but he could. Plus I think CHI is more of a passing team now, as apposed to Lynch. Personally I would have taken Lynch I think, despite the threats of younger legs behind him.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Mathews. Donald Brown was added for a reason from what I've read in April:

Ryan Mathews believes the Chargers' addition of Donald Brown will help him hold up physically in 2014.
In other words, Mathews expects Brown to take some of his touches and snaps. Mathews played all 16 games for the first time in his career last year, finishing as the No. 12 fantasy back. "I (want to) make it more than 16 games," he said. "That was a big goal last year: 'Alright, let's get him through 16 games.' We did that. Now the goal is to keep me healthy, keep running after 16 games."

and

The Union-Tribune San Diego projects 5-10 touches per game for Donald Brown this season.

Mathews broke down last year because he was worked too hard. I think he's much better at 20 max touches a week, and probably 15-18 is best. If they manage him better that way, he should hold up better - but if he is more productive than Brown or Woodhead, they'll work him too hard again and he'll break down. As a Mathews owner, you should hope that Woodhead and Brown are productive when they are in so that Mathew's fewer touches are more productive.

I see him as a modest RB2 this year.

Now as far as QBs, I'm looking at the format. I see that Tannehill does have breakout potential, but he also has a decent shot at being a bust in a given game - and that can knock you out. I see his weekly performance anywhere from 5 to 25 points, which will be OK if Palmer's highs match Tannehill's lows, but I would be afraid that two aligned bad weeks will torpedo that duo.

PM'd Mastershake

1.13 Brandon Marshall, WR Bears - one of the last, if not THE last gamebreaker type available. I like the fact that he plays 2 games vs both Packers and Lions, I do not like the fact that he plays home games outside in the winter, and Minnesota will be playing outdoors this Season...

...I LOVE the fact that he is HUGE, that he's matured and taken on a leadership role with the Team, that he has a strong running game to take the pressure off, and a gunslinger of a QB who's not afraid to let Marshall go up and fight for the ball.
2.04: DeMarco Murray, RB Cowboys - one of the last, if not THE last 'Bell Cow' RB's capable of catching 48+ passes, scoring double-digit TD's, and in a upper-tier offense. Thought long and hard about Orange Julius and Brees here...
3.13: Jason WItten, TE Cowboys - Going into the far turn, I took a look at what 14, 15, and 16 had, since we're all facing a long swing back around....QB was a hair deeper than TE. Faced a conundrum with Witten being the last upper-tier TE on my list, but having 2 Cowboys/byes in my 1st 3 picks. Production won out, as I have Witten ranked ahead of Cameron and V. Davis...one Team already had a QB, and this wasn't 'take 2 QB with 2 consecutive picks' territory...yet.

...as it turns out, in the next 6 picks through the turn back to me, only 1 QB and 0 TE's were taken.

...Mastershake, Pahnder and Nugget - would any of you have taken Witten had he been there at the 2/3 turn?

4.04: Matt Ryan, QB Falcons: - The one QB taken between my picks was Brady. I didn't expect him to fall through, but IF 2 QB went, I thought they would have been Brady and Ryan, so I was pleased MR fell to me here. I think the Falcons/Ryan are going to come into this season with a MASSIVE chip on their collective shoulders after last year's disapppointing Season. If Ryan had been taken, I would have been in a quandry about QB, as Brady/Ryan is the end of my tier 2. I felt I had to have one before this 4/5 swing passed. Will be interesting at 5.13 to see if that was the right call...
5.13: Darren Sproles, RB Eagles / 6.04: Julian Edelman, WR Patriots - If I recall correctly, I usually pick in the middle of these things. Certainly doesn't 'feel' familiar drafting from a relative end position. 24 Picks between my even to odd Rounds. seems like an eternity...and it's like a slow death when you watch a Player you want maddeningly fall just short of your grasp. I was really hoping TY Hilton would fall to me at 5.13, but Pasq snagged him...at 5.05, though, so it's not like I got snaked...Emphasizing PPR with these last 2 picks - was deciding between Sproles and Colston, thought I might get both, but Edelman was my fallback option if Colston got sniped, which he did on next pick. Loads of PPR potential here. In an 'oh how the mighty have fallen' sense, I'm kinda surprised about passing over Steven Jackson. That's going to be something to watch for me here - had I taken Colston, would Sproles have been selected over Jackson, leaving me with Jackson at 6.04, so Sproles/Edelman vs Jackson/Colston, PPR vs TD's?
7.13: Joe Flacco, QB Ravens / 8.04: Steve Smith, WR Ravens - QB2's go so stupid early in these things, but in some cases, you just have to go with the flow. I wasn't about to take one at 6.04, which meant a long wait to 7.13. Got lucky, IMO, landing the last guy with upside potential. I want Ryan to be my QB1 every week, but Flacco is capable of having 'spikes' that could vault him statistically for a week here and there. I took Smith at 8.04 probably early, but at this point, I'm getting used to my draft position forcing me to grab what I want with these even round picks, thinking it won't be there when it gets back to me...I thought about Woodhead at 7.13, he went at 7.14 after I took Flacco, would be interesting to see if Flacco would have lasted to 8.04, but I'm happy with Smith - I don't know if there's a bigger competitor than Steve Smith, and I think his chip/shoulder mentality makes for a perfect landing in Baltimore, that, and Flacco's ability to hit the deep ball, and a healthy Pitta roaming the short/intermediate zones to draw coverage, have me really high on Smith...seems I should have been able to get a solid WR3 in Round 8, but this looks more like the start of a committee because Smith has always seemed like a guy who has up-and-down weeks. Well, at least he's a good committee guy in that sense, for survivor...
9.13: Jarrett Boykin, WR Packers

10.4: Jaquizz Rodgers, RB Falcons

11.13: Markus Wheaton, WR Steelers

12.04: D/ST Bengals

Got a piece of the Packers passing game, something I like in this format, then added Rodgers after Donald Brown didn't fall. Looking for Quizz to benefit from the absence of Tony Gonz...I think Wheaton is unique in Steelers passing game, and I'm liking how the WR3BC is developing with S.Smith/Boykin/Wheaton - think there's lots of potential 'spikes' in that group. Was really hoping Stills would have fallen to me. Passed on D/ST at 11:13, knowing I'd likely miss out on at least 1. Held out hope Denver would fall, but they went at the turn to Nugget...think that after Seahawks/49'ers/Broncos there are about 6 D/ST's that are basically identical, and figured none would make it back to me 24 picks later, so I grabbed the Bengals now to be on the right side of the run.

Ryan/9, Flacco/11

Murray/11, Sproles/7, Rodgers/9

Marshall/9, Edelman/10, S.Smith/11, Boykin/9, Wheaton/12

Witten/11

Bengals/4

Bye Weeks aren't the greatest for me - I don't mind 2 'starters' off the same week if it's early in the game, when there are more Teams to pad the bottom end, but having Ryan/Marshall off in Week 9 and Murray/Witten off in Week 11 could be serious. Given that I drafted Murray/Witten @ 2/3 turn, I've known about this issue for a while, and it might have been smarter to have taken at productive TE2 earlier at the behest of 1 of my WR3BC guys, but I do have a plan in the back of my mind to address that. With Boykin off Week 9 as well, I'm going to have to land at least one more upside WR to have some options to add to Edelman/SSmith/Wheaton.

RB/WR/TE - I think there are a TON of receptions with this group, but probably not enough TD's to make it far enough in this thing to matter, unfortuntately...

...but I still have 6 picks, so we'll see how the cookie crumbles.

Was wondering when someone would roll the dice on Mr. Gordon. Big boom/bust pick. I thought about him for my next two picks coming up. If he is suspended for just 8 games he can propel your team to the top as a cheap WR1.

Was wondering when someone would roll the dice on Mr. Gordon. Big boom/bust pick. I thought about him for my next two picks coming up. If he is suspended for just 8 games he can propel your team to the top as a cheap WR1.
exactly round12 as a WR5, if your wr5 in this blows out his ACL in the preseason, does it kill your team?

Maybe he only gets 4-8 games like Soulfly dude claims, would be HUGE. Why hasnt the suspension been laid out yet?

I been thinking about taking him for a couple rounds now

Last edited by a moderator:
exactly round12 as a WR5, if your wr5 in this blows out his ACL in the preseason, does it kill your team?

Maybe he only gets 4-8 games like Soulfly dude claims, would be HUGE. Why hasnt the suspension been laid out yet?

The biggest concern I would have with taking Gordon period is there's only 18 roster spots in SSL. Most teams wind up going 6-deep at WR, and if you do that with Gordon you have two choices: grit your teeth knowing there's a really good chance you'll face an entire season having to go best-3-out-of-5 at the position, until another wideout or two gets banged up and misses time, and all of a sudden the bye weeks hit and you face a very real possibility of taking a zero at WR3 ... or skimp at another position in order to roll 7-deep at WR, which presents its own (possibly larger) set of problems.

In a 20-rounder I'd have grabbed him myself probably well before round 12 and not lost a minute of sleep over it, but I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on him here.

The biggest concern I would have with taking Gordon period is there's only 18 roster spots in SSL. Most teams wind up going 6-deep at WR, and if you do that with Gordon you have two choices: grit your teeth knowing there's a really good chance you'll face an entire season having to go best-3-out-of-5 at the position, until another wideout or two gets banged up and misses time, and all of a sudden the bye weeks hit and you face a very real possibility of taking a zero at WR3 ... or skimp at another position in order to roll 7-deep at WR, which presents its own (possibly larger) set of problems.

In a 20-rounder I'd have grabbed him myself probably well before round 12 and not lost a minute of sleep over it, but I'm not sure I could pull the trigger on him here.
well worth the gamble IMO, even if he misses 4,6, or 8 games. Gone for the season obviously its a bad pick at that point.

well worth the gamble IMO, even if he misses 4,6, or 8 games. Gone for the season obviously its a bad pick at that point.
In an 18 round survivor it is almost pointless to take a guy who is going to miss the first 8 weeks easy and a really good shot to miss the whole season.

Name is sexy and the thought of him is great... too bad he is going to be gone and it is a wasted pick.

First disappointment / snipe that I really felt bad about.

Didn't think that so few teams would defer on K or D at the turn - and then to see Devonta Freeman go off the board was a major disappointment.

My thought was to take a Top 10 defense and if the 4 teams hammered D at the turn, I would likely take a 2nd to avoid being left out. That's why I took STL D first (so I could double up here if I felt I needed to).

In retrospect I would have gone Freeman then defense, but hindsight is 20/20.

I really think Freeman will be starting sooner than later and will definitely put up some PPR value. Great pick.

BRONX BOMBER PLAYER 2013 YTD PTS BYE

Manning, Eli NYG QB (P) 302.50 8

Manziel, Johnny CLE QB - 4

Gore, Frank SFO RB (P) 196.90 8

Hyde, Carlos SFO RB - 8

Jackson, Fred BUF RB 235.30 9

Lynch, Marshawn SEA RB 277.30 4

Michael, Christine SEA RB 7.90 4

Floyd, Michael ARI WR 201.40 4

Jeffery, Alshon CHI WR 283.60 9

Matthews, Jordan PHI WR - 7

Patterson, Cordarrelle MIN WR 149.70 10

Cameron, Jordan CLE TE 293.70 4

Seferian-Jenkins, Austin TBB TE (P) - 7

13 TOTAL PLAYERS

My WRs are definitely my strength and hopefully will carry me. My mistake was taking CP instead of a QB. At the time it was me and one other owner that needed a QB so figured I could wait since I think Wilson, Tannehill, Rivers, Ben, etc. were still available.....we all know what happened. Looking back I would have rather taken Foles and then came back with a Hopkins, Hunter, Nicks, etc. instead of CP and Eli. My RB situation was a strategy that worked last year for me (bumping me from SSL4 to SSL1). I decided I'd rather try and "own" a good backfield rather than fill my depth with Ingram, Miller types. So if all works out then I have the SF and Sea backfield and hope FJax is healthy enough to fill two bye weeks. This way if Lynch or Gore get a back spasm or something during the game then I'll still get points to carry me instead of hoping for a random good week from a low end RB flyer. I like my TEs and figure Cameron will be like Manziel's "Evans" and ASJ should get some redzone TDs. Hopefully Manziel plays early and can cover for Eli's bad weeks or that the new OL and OBJ can help boost Eli again to steady QB2.

Even though I doubt the other 4 teams take another RB at this turn, I wanted to secure my RB4 now with Ka'Deem Carey still on the board. Sure, he is behind Matt Forte, but the kid was regarded as the top RB pre-draft by several publications and it is hard to argue against his touchdown production while at Arizona (42 rushing TDs in the past two seasons). Plus he is great at pass blocking and has good hands, meaning that there are two roles he can immediately carve out for himself - 3rd down back and goal line option (which is what Michael Bush used to do). He had 62 catches and two scores as a receiver as well, so I can see PPR value here with Chicago loving to throw more often. Even if Forte stays healthy all season, I think Carey gets plenty of work and adds fantasy value. Love him this late (and helps with the disappointment in missing Freeman last time around).

Took a 2nd kicker here as I think that the uncertainty amongst the position right now is high. I think 8 teams have >1 PK in camp and with only 20-24 spots locked up, I wanted to make sure I had a very strong PK1 and a solid option at PK2. Freese was drafted and that usually means they get the job, and I love the landing spot in Detroit. The Lions actually had him in their sights in Round 6 and were thrilled he was there in Round 7.

Jeff Pasquino said:
Took a 2nd kicker here as I think that the uncertainty amongst the position right now is high. I think 8 teams have >1 PK in camp and with only 20-24 spots locked up, I wanted to make sure I had a very strong PK1 and a solid option at PK2. Freese was drafted and that usually means they get the job, and I love the landing spot in Detroit. The Lions actually had him in their sights in Round 6 and were thrilled he was there in Round 7.
I was disappointed in pdsl when Boswell went undrafted as the highest rated.

Jeff Pasquino said:
For some reason, the highest rated guys pre-draft don't always get picked. If kickers get drafted, however, teams tend to stick with them for at least their first year.

Jeff Pasquino said:
For some reason, the highest rated guys pre-draft don't always get picked. If kickers get drafted, however, teams tend to stick with them for at least their first year.
tell that to guys who drafted Hopkins last year in BUF thinking he would be the man.....

Jeff Pasquino said:
tell that to guys who drafted Hopkins last year in BUF thinking he would be the man.....
There's a difference in those players earmarked to start but get injured (Hopkins and also the K in HOU, Bullock) and those who don't get the starting nod.

Jeff Pasquino said:
There's a difference in those players earmarked to start but get injured (Hopkins and also the K in HOU, Bullock) and those who don't get the starting nod.
agreed......due to roster managment they placed him on IR and he didn't return even when healthy.....

My roster so far:

Brees (6)

Bradford (4)

Spiller (9)

T Richardson (10)

B Pierce (11)

A Bradshaw (10

D Thomas (4)

T Smith (11)

K Wright (9)

B Cooks (6)

Clay (5)

J Finley (?)

Seahawks D

Prater (4)

Henery (7)

Thought about going with only one QB in Brees, but decided to grab one of the last decent QB2 in Bradford. I went with only Rodgers last year and did quite well even surviving several weeks after he went down but utlimately not having a backup killed me

My RB's are boom bust with Spiller and Richardson. Both were likely first rounders a year ago. Hopefully they can bounce back from disappointing last seasons. Pierce may start a couple games if Rice is suspended and even when Rice plays, he will still get touches. Grabbed Bradshaw as hancuff to Richardson and thought he was decent value where I was able to get him.

I like the WR's in that Thomas is my every week stud, Wright should be steady and then T Smith and Cooks could have some huge games and hopefully I don't have to cound them on their weeks where they only catch a couple balls

TE is a major weakness unless Finley gets medically cleared. With very little left at the position I decided to take the gamble. Hoping Clay can be servicable like last year

Seattle D decided to get the top D rather than gamble on a backup elsewhere where lots of guys left on the board look about the same

Kicker-decided to grab Prater before the kicker run began. Took my 2nd in Henery earlier than I anticipated to get another proven kicker on a high scoring offense

Updated through first 15 picks

Just wanted to point out that Alex Henery has a challenger this year (UDFA Carey Spear, Vanderbilt) who was considered a top prospect.

(Did I just name drop a kicker? Does that count??)

Just wanted to point out that Alex Henery has a challenger this year (UDFA Carey Spear, Vanderbilt) who was considered a top prospect.

(Did I just name drop a kicker? Does that count??)
 I realized that after I made the pick. The FBG staff rankings still have Henery ranked quite high so either they are not too concerned about the challenger or they pay as little attention to kicker news as I do. Hopefuilly Henery takes on the challenge and beats them out like Crosby did last year.

I'll round out my roster with a post after my final pick, but for now I'll comment on my last two:

16.12 Lance Moore, WR, PIT

Love the value here as I see Pittsburgh going 3-wide a lot more this year. Moore will bounce back and find the end zone, just like Cotchery did (although asking for 10 TDs is way too much). I can see a 50-600-5 year for him, which is solid for such a late add to my roster.

17.05 Washington D/ST

This one might seem a little odd at first, but I like the Redskins here as a strong compliment to my D1 (STL). The Rams are off on Week 4 and Washington hosts the Giants. Throw in that Washington hosts TB in Week 11 (a late bad matchup for STL, playing Denver) and I like these two matchups. DeSean Jackson should also help the PR/KR teams. With 20+ defenses gone (surprised it took this long, actually) and Nittany looming with two picks (Skins fan), I didn't think WASH would get back to me.

Still thinking about who I want with the last pick.

I'll round out my roster with a post after my final pick, but for now I'll comment on my last two:

Love the value here as I see Pittsburgh going 3-wide a lot more this year. Moore will bounce back and find the end zone, just like Cotchery did (although asking for 10 TDs is way too much). I can see a 50-600-5 year for him, which is solid for such a late add to my roster.

17.05 Washington D/ST

This one might seem a little odd at first, but I like the Redskins here as a strong compliment to my D1 (STL). The Rams are off on Week 4 and Washington hosts the Giants. Throw in that Washington hosts TB in Week 11 (a late bad matchup for STL, playing Denver) and I like these two matchups. DeSean Jackson should also help the PR/KR teams. With 20+ defenses gone (surprised it took this long, actually) and Nittany looming with two picks (Skins fan), I didn't think WASH would get back to me.

I almost went Washington when I picked up Jay Feely as my second kicker. Jeff, while you provided a much more scientific and educated approach, I was looking at them as a team that faces the Giants and Dallas twice...they won't be locking anyone down, but I see "pick six galore" as Romo and Manning are forced to play catch up after their defenses get carved up. Nice selection.

with Brown, Wheaton, Bryant, DHB, Moore....it seems you are pretty set on Moore being WR3.....I'm not sure he will have it on lockdown....I could see a lineup of Brown and Bryant on the outside and Wheaton in the slot.....I realize Wheaton is starting outside right now, but as Bryant progresses through preseason, he could push Wheaton into the slot....Wheatons size and speed may be better suited for that....IMO Brown/Bryant/Wheaton probably puts the most juice on the field....considering the size (lack there of) of the other 3 main options (not counting DHB)....if Pitt wants a third guy out there they may look at the 6'4" Bryant....wouldn't surprise me at all if Bryant ends up being the best option at the X position and then Moore is battling Wheaton for WR3 duties.....I see Moore and DHB spelling the other 3 when it all comes out in the wash....

17.05 Washington D/ST

I almost went Washington when I picked up Jay Feely as my second kicker. Jeff, while you provided a much more scientific and educated approach, I was looking at them as a team that faces the Giants and Dallas twice...they won't be locking anyone down, but I see "pick six galore" as Romo and Manning are forced to play catch up after their defenses get carved up. Nice selection.
Believe me, I was looking at the DAL / NYG matchups as well for WASH, especially as they line up well with the STL schedule.

STL weaknesses (perceived) as far as bad matchups: Week 4 (Bye), Week 6 (SF), Week 7 (SEA), Week 8 (at KC), Week 9 (at SF), Week 11 (Denver), Week 17 (at SEA). Some others are tough too, but I was mostly looking for big offenses, tough places to play and the SF & SEA matchups.

Washington those weeks: Week 4 (NYG), Week 6 (at AZ), Week 7 (TEN), Week 8 (at DAL), Week 9 (at MIN), Week 11 (TB), Week 17 (DAL). I like all of these matchups for WASH here, except maybe @AZ. Even the WASH bye week (Week 10) is OK to good for STL (at AZ). I like this pairing overall.

yeah this thing has been a slow death.

I took Andrew Hawkins as my final WR to cover with the Gordon investment and because Miles Austin has rubber band hamstrings.

Team BSS - the completed project

QB - Nick Foles , Andy Dalton

Should be an awesome combo and will help me maximize points at the position

RB - Eddie Lacy, Toby Gerhardt, Andre Williams, CJ Anderon

A stud in Lacy to hold down the fort, Toby is still underrated, no real competition in carries and he can catch. Andre Williams fits Coughlins mold of THUNDER in the rushing attack. CJ Anderson was a late round flier in case Montee Ball stubmles/injures/fumbles.

WR - Victor Cruz, Jeremy Maclin, Justin Hunter, Kelvin Benjamin, Josh Gordon, Andrew Hawkins.

a solid top4 IMO, not best in the league or anything. Will be interesting to see what happens a Gordon, I suspect hes gone for some games. nice boost if he returns week 7 or 9, Andrew Hawkins should get catches and be a fill in, if Gordon is gone, I think Hawkins is the #2 pass catching option behind Cameron.

With no Decker and a hodge-podge of guys to replace him, I suspect Orange Julius role to increase

K - Phil Dawson, Mike Nugent

Got two with jobs

D - Baltimore & San Diego

Got two, late bye weeks.

See you boys in SSL1 again next year

T Brady 10

C Henne 11
R Mallet 10

J Bell 9
L Bell 12
L Blount 12
D Brown 10

B Hartline 5
V Jackson 7
Julio Jones 9
Nate Washington 9
Sammy Watkins 9
Santana Moss 10

Ebron 9
Eifert 4

Steelers 12
Saints 6

Caleb Sturgis

My final roster

Brees (6)

Bradford (4)

Spiller (9)

T Richardson (10)

B Pierce (11)

A Bradshaw (10

D Thomas (4)

T Smith (11)

K Wright (9)

B Cooks (6)

D Adams (9)

Clay (5)

J Finley (?)

Gresham (4)

Seahawks D (4)

Lions D (9)

Prater (4)

Henery (7)

Thought about going with only one QB in Brees, but decided to grab one of the last decent QB2 in Bradford. I went with only Rodgers last year and did quite well even surviving several weeks after he went down but utlimately not having a backup killed me. Brees should give me an advantage at QB most weeks

My RB's are boom bust with Spiller and Richardson. Both were likely first rounders a year ago. Hopefully they can bounce back from disappointing last seasons. Pierce may start a couple games if Rice is suspended and even when Rice plays, he will still get touches. Grabbed Bradshaw as hancuff to Richardson and thought he was decent value where I was able to get him. This will be interesting, but I like the potential.

I like the WR's in that Thomas is my every week stud, Wright should be steady and then T Smith and Cooks could have some huge games and hopefully I don't have to cound them on their weeks where they only catch a couple balls. Added Adams late as he could have some big games in the Packers offense, especially if he eventually beats out Boykin for the #3 job which is certainly possible. Rodgers made Jennings, Jordy & Cobb look good as rookies.

TE could be a major weakness unless Finley gets medically cleared. With very little left at the position I decided to take the gamble on him. Hoping Clay can be servicable like last year. Added a third in Greshan in the last round in case Finley does not get cleared.

Seattle D decided to get the top D rather than gamble on a backup elsewhere where lots of guys left on the board look about the same. I like the Lions D as my backup as they have enough talend on that D line to have some big weeks.

Kicker-decided to grab Prater before the kicker run began. Took my 2nd in Henery earlier than I anticipated to get another proven kicker on a high scoring offense. Hopefully he keeps his job although I think I will be ok with Prater most weeks.

I debated on my last pick if I wanted another TE, RB or WR. At times I considered taking only one QB, K OR D. A couple more rounds would have made me feel more comfortable overall even if those players would have been long shots.

I like the upside of this team and the fact that I have several players on high scoring teams. Of course if Finly does not get cleared and my RB's play like they did last season I could be done quickly.

BRONX BOMBER PLAYER 2013 YTD PTS BYE

Manning, Eli NYG QB (P) 302.50 8

Manziel, Johnny CLE QB - 4

Gore, Frank SFO RB (P) 196.90 8

Hyde, Carlos SFO RB - 8

Jackson, Fred BUF RB 235.30 9

Lynch, Marshawn SEA RB 277.30 4

Michael, Christine SEA RB 7.90 4

Floyd, Michael ARI WR 201.40 4

Jeffery, Alshon CHI WR 283.60 9

Matthews, Jordan PHI WR - 7

Patterson, Cordarrelle MIN WR 149.70 10

Latimer, Cody

Rodgers, Da'Rick

Cameron, Jordan CLE TE 293.70 4

Seferian-Jenkins, Austin TBB TE (P) - 7

Jets, DST

Dolphins, DST

Suisham, K

18 TOTAL PLAYERS

My WRs are definitely my strength and hopefully will carry me. My mistake was taking CP instead of a QB. At the time it was me and one other owner that needed a QB so figured I could wait since I think Wilson, Tannehill, Rivers, Ben, etc. were still available.....we all know what happened. Looking back I would have rather taken Foles and then came back with a Hopkins, Hunter, Nicks, etc. instead of CP and Eli. My RB situation was a strategy that worked last year for me (bumping me from SSL4 to SSL1). I decided I'd rather try and "own" a good backfield rather than fill my depth with Ingram, Miller types. So if all works out then I have the SF and Sea backfield and hope FJax is healthy enough to fill two bye weeks. This way if Lynch or Gore get a back spasm or something during the game then I'll still get points to carry me instead of hoping for a random good week from a low end RB flyer. I like my TEs and figure Cameron will be like Manziel's "Evans" and ASJ should get some redzone TDs. Hopefully Manziel plays early and can cover for Eli's bad weeks or that the new OL and OBJ can help boost Eli again to steady QB2.
Finished out with two WRs in Latimer and Da'Rick that would take a injury or two but could blow up in their perspective systems and maybe carry me a few weeks if need be. Got two defenses (Jets and Dolphins) and a kicker (Suisham). Forgot we only had 18 rounds so I ended up with only one kicker but its a week 12 bye and I don't see him getting replaced so not a huge deal.

PM'd Mastershake

1.13 Brandon Marshall, WR Bears - one of the last, if not THE last gamebreaker type available. I like the fact that he plays 2 games vs both Packers and Lions, I do not like the fact that he plays home games outside in the winter, and Minnesota will be playing outdoors this Season...

...I LOVE the fact that he is HUGE, that he's matured and taken on a leadership role with the Team, that he has a strong running game to take the pressure off, and a gunslinger of a QB who's not afraid to let Marshall go up and fight for the ball.
2.04: DeMarco Murray, RB Cowboys - one of the last, if not THE last 'Bell Cow' RB's capable of catching 48+ passes, scoring double-digit TD's, and in a upper-tier offense. Thought long and hard about Orange Julius and Brees here...
3.13: Jason WItten, TE Cowboys - Going into the far turn, I took a look at what 14, 15, and 16 had, since we're all facing a long swing back around....QB was a hair deeper than TE. Faced a conundrum with Witten being the last upper-tier TE on my list, but having 2 Cowboys/byes in my 1st 3 picks. Production won out, as I have Witten ranked ahead of Cameron and V. Davis...one Team already had a QB, and this wasn't 'take 2 QB with 2 consecutive picks' territory...yet.

...as it turns out, in the next 6 picks through the turn back to me, only 1 QB and 0 TE's were taken.

...Mastershake, Pahnder and Nugget - would any of you have taken Witten had he been there at the 2/3 turn?

4.04: Matt Ryan, QB Falcons: - The one QB taken between my picks was Brady. I didn't expect him to fall through, but IF 2 QB went, I thought they would have been Brady and Ryan, so I was pleased MR fell to me here. I think the Falcons/Ryan are going to come into this season with a MASSIVE chip on their collective shoulders after last year's disapppointing Season. If Ryan had been taken, I would have been in a quandry about QB, as Brady/Ryan is the end of my tier 2. I felt I had to have one before this 4/5 swing passed. Will be interesting at 5.13 to see if that was the right call...
5.13: Darren Sproles, RB Eagles / 6.04: Julian Edelman, WR Patriots - If I recall correctly, I usually pick in the middle of these things. Certainly doesn't 'feel' familiar drafting from a relative end position. 24 Picks between my even to odd Rounds. seems like an eternity...and it's like a slow death when you watch a Player you want maddeningly fall just short of your grasp. I was really hoping TY Hilton would fall to me at 5.13, but Pasq snagged him...at 5.05, though, so it's not like I got snaked...Emphasizing PPR with these last 2 picks - was deciding between Sproles and Colston, thought I might get both, but Edelman was my fallback option if Colston got sniped, which he did on next pick. Loads of PPR potential here. In an 'oh how the mighty have fallen' sense, I'm kinda surprised about passing over Steven Jackson. That's going to be something to watch for me here - had I taken Colston, would Sproles have been selected over Jackson, leaving me with Jackson at 6.04, so Sproles/Edelman vs Jackson/Colston, PPR vs TD's?
7.13: Joe Flacco, QB Ravens / 8.04: Steve Smith, WR Ravens - QB2's go so stupid early in these things, but in some cases, you just have to go with the flow. I wasn't about to take one at 6.04, which meant a long wait to 7.13. Got lucky, IMO, landing the last guy with upside potential. I want Ryan to be my QB1 every week, but Flacco is capable of having 'spikes' that could vault him statistically for a week here and there. I took Smith at 8.04 probably early, but at this point, I'm getting used to my draft position forcing me to grab what I want with these even round picks, thinking it won't be there when it gets back to me...I thought about Woodhead at 7.13, he went at 7.14 after I took Flacco, would be interesting to see if Flacco would have lasted to 8.04, but I'm happy with Smith - I don't know if there's a bigger competitor than Steve Smith, and I think his chip/shoulder mentality makes for a perfect landing in Baltimore, that, and Flacco's ability to hit the deep ball, and a healthy Pitta roaming the short/intermediate zones to draw coverage, have me really high on Smith...seems I should have been able to get a solid WR3 in Round 8, but this looks more like the start of a committee because Smith has always seemed like a guy who has up-and-down weeks. Well, at least he's a good committee guy in that sense, for survivor...
9.13: Jarrett Boykin, WR Packers

10.4: Jaquizz Rodgers, RB Falcons

11.13: Markus Wheaton, WR Steelers

12.04: D/ST Bengals

Got a piece of the Packers passing game, something I like in this format, then added Rodgers after Donald Brown didn't fall. Looking for Quizz to benefit from the absence of Tony Gonz...I think Wheaton is unique in Steelers passing game, and I'm liking how the WR3BC is developing with S.Smith/Boykin/Wheaton - think there's lots of potential 'spikes' in that group. Was really hoping Stills would have fallen to me. Passed on D/ST at 11:13, knowing I'd likely miss out on at least 1. Held out hope Denver would fall, but they went at the turn to Nugget...think that after Seahawks/49'ers/Broncos there are about 6 D/ST's that are basically identical, and figured none would make it back to me 24 picks later, so I grabbed the Bengals now to be on the right side of the run.

Ryan/9, Flacco/11

Murray/11, Sproles/7, Rodgers/9

Marshall/9, Edelman/10, S.Smith/11, Boykin/9, Wheaton/12

Witten/11

Bengals/4

Bye Weeks aren't the greatest for me - I don't mind 2 'starters' off the same week if it's early in the game, when there are more Teams to pad the bottom end, but having Ryan/Marshall off in Week 9 and Murray/Witten off in Week 11 could be serious. Given that I drafted Murray/Witten @ 2/3 turn, I've known about this issue for a while, and it might have been smarter to have taken at productive TE2 earlier at the behest of 1 of my WR3BC guys, but I do have a plan in the back of my mind to address that. With Boykin off Week 9 as well, I'm going to have to land at least one more upside WR to have some options to add to Edelman/SSmith/Wheaton.

RB/WR/TE - I think there are a TON of receptions with this group, but probably not enough TD's to make it far enough in this thing to matter, unfortuntately...

...but I still have 6 picks, so we'll see how the cookie crumbles.
13.13: Stephen Gostkowski, PK Patriots

14.04: Knile Davis, RB Chiefs

Got in at the beginning of the PK extravaganza by design. Wanted a stud. Back of my mind, at the time, going with only one. Only drawback with Gostkowski is the late Bye Week, but at the time, I was still planning on taking 2. There were others who lamented when the rookie Falcons RB went off the board. I was hoping to get him at 13.13 myself. Satisfied my RB itch with Knile Davis. Yeah, it's a big 'if', if he can stay healthy, but he did flash last year, and was on the come during the latter part of 2013 until the injury in the playoffs. If he's one thing, he's a gamebreaker when healthy, and the unquestioned #2 behind Charles. You need gamebreakers from your bench in these things, just hope he can remain unbroken...

15.13: Adrien Robinson, TE Giants

16.04: James Starks, RB Packers

Grabbed a TE early with Witten, and then unintentionally ignored the position for a while, missed out on landing an established TE2, but there remained some names on my list. Then the PK circus began with 11 straight kickers going to start off Round 15. At that point I looked at Robinson as a gift horse. He's an absolute specimen, for sure, and has a clear path as the starting TE for the Giants, and should be featured in their new offensive scheme. I plan on getting a ton of production out of Witten, as well as consistency, so if Robinson winds up 'starting' for me, I hope it's because he's launching some monster spikes. Hope I don't wish he was my TE3. Pretty bummed that the very next pick was Dex McCluster, as I thought for sure I'd land him at 16.04. Went with Starks as a backup option, who may be valuable late in the season if I last. Flip side is that like Knile Davis, the injury bug looms in the background, but Starks is capable of doing some things, especially if Lacy goes down. Like Davis, he's a clear backup with relatively little competition for touches after the monster in front of him. CJ Anderson might have been a better choice. Or Andre Brown, more on that later. By now, I definitely abandoned plans to take a second PK.

17.13: Marquess Wilson, WR Bears

18.04: Storm Johnson, RB Jaguars

Snaked again at bench RB when Andre Brown went at 17.12, but pleasantly surprised to add Wilson to my WR corps. If things go as planned for the Bears, it should be a productive offense. I don't think there's going to be a TON of leftovers after Forte, Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett eat, but Wilson should be the primary dog cleaning up table scraps. I see a ton of upside here, and this late grab picked up my spirits somewhat. Storm Johnson was a fun flyer pick at the end of the Draft. I was feeling upbeat about Wilson, so I decided to go with the flow. Johnson played with Bortles in college, which means nothing, especially if Bortles indeed holds a clipboard this year, but I do like his game, and despite being a seventh round pick, one look at the Jags depth chart appears to give him a real shot at the #2 spot, behind Toby Gerhardt, and that's not the worst position to be in, I guess. He's a sexy dynasty stash, and my RB. It's going to suck if taking him over Josh Scobee winds up costing me. Josh Scobee.

Ryan/9, Flacco/11

Murray/11, Sproles/7, Rodgers/9, K. Davis/6 , Starks/9 , St. Johnson/11

Marshall/9, Edelman/10, S.Smith/11, Boykin/9, Wheaton/12, Mq. Wilson/9

Witten/11, A. Robinson/8

Bengals/4

Gostkowski/10

I think I'm going to be around for 8 weeks, and then I walk a minefield with half the Teams gone, and missing 5 Players in Weeks 9 and 11 and no PK in Week 10. Week 9 I'm down Matt Ryan and Brandon Marshall for starters, and 2 of my other 3 bye players are WR, so I'll be starting Flacco, Edelman, Steve Smith and Wheaton, not exactly awe-inspiring. Maybe I'll have some good matchups, or luck into immunity, with my only player off in Week 8 being my backup TE, but that's some crap to bank on...though I'm down only Edelman when my only kicker, Gostkowski, is off in Week 10, I'm still probably going to have to be lucky to stay off the bottom with only 7 Teams remaining. Week 11, no Demarco Murray or Witten, and a few bench guys, but Murray and Witten are being counted on for TD's and precious little else on my Team is going to account for those, so not only will Ryan and Marshall have to have a monster week, I'm going to have to luck into some unexpected red zone production from the rest of the crew to avoid bottoming out in what will be an extremely shallow pool at that point.

I'm shooting for a return to SSL2, hoping I don't drop further down the ladder. Flame away!

17.05 Washington D/ST

Finishing my last 2-3 picks thoughts...

I almost took my final player at pick 17, but thought better of the shortage of defenses left. I didn't want a terrible defense to round this out so I took WASH, knowing that my 3 final defensive choices that paired well with STL were WASH, DET and SD. I didn't think any of them would still be there in Round 18 and was appreciative that I could even take my 2nd D I wanted in Rd 17, so I took Washington and tried not to look back.

As it was, several names I wanted fell between my 17th and 18th picks. Andrew Hawkins was the top of my list, and how fitting that BSS took both him and the SD D (no surprise there) - so called that one. My next player on my short list was Donnie Avery, but he fell too. My 3rd option was a RB rather than a WR because I still can't figure out who will be the WR2 in SD - Floyd or V. Brown - so I put Floyd as my 4th option on my list after RB Charles Sims. I liked Sims because he should be the RB2 in TB and also see PPR love out of the backfield. I think he may give me some points early (assuming Rice is suspended) and that could really help - plus he offers major upside if Doug Martin gets injured. With 5 WRs already on my team - none of which share a bye - WR6 was more of a luxury and RB5 was more of a need. First time I've gone off the 2-4-6-2-2-2 normal pattern for me, but I think this squad warranted it.

Final roster:

QB - Andrew Luck (10), E.J. Manuel (9)

I love Luck this year as a standout QB4, and I don't care if people thought I reached for him. The rest of the roster did not suffer for taking him in the late 2nd instead of the early 3rd round. Manuel is the entrenched starter and has upside - all you can ask for from your QB2.

RB - Ray Rice (11), Rashad Jennings (8), DeAngelo Williams (12), Ka'Deem Carey (9), Charles Sims (7)

5 players (one more than usual for me) that don't share a bye. Rice is risky and no true RB1, but most teams don't have bell cows any more. All of these guys can catch and I'll take pedestrian performances that keep me alive from this group.

WR - Calvin Johnson (9), T.Y. Hilton (10), Terrance Williams (11), Odell Beckham (8), Lance Moore (12)

Stud WR1 should drive this group. Hilton / Williams offer explosion, and Beckham will be a solid Top 30-35 guy this year in PPR leagues with the Giants going 3-wide (and having next to nothing at TE). Moore will be the slot WR for PIT, replacing Cotchery, and could get TD upside as a result.

TE - Vernon Davis (8), Marcedes Lewis (11)

Davis is a Top 5 TE, and I got very lucky to still have Lewis as my TE2 when pickings got very thin. He should get decent numbers in Week 8 which is about all I really am counting on from him.

PK - Steven Hauschka (4), Nate Freese (DET) (9)

D/ST - STL (4), WASH (10)

Solid kickers with starting jobs (very much counting Freese as having the DET job). STL is a Top 5 defense and WASH is a sleeper D/ST that compliments the Rams well. Two early byes too with my top PK and D/ST.

One regret here is not taking D. Freeman in Round 12 (went STL D). If I had gone Freeman / Defense (such as CHI) I would have felt much better about my RBs and may not have added a fifth one. We'll see if that costs me.

I still think that this team has a reasonable shot to stick around into December.

Ryan/9, Flacco/11

Murray/11, Sproles/7, Rodgers/9, K. Davis/6 , Starks/9 , St. Johnson/11

Marshall/9, Edelman/10, S.Smith/11, Boykin/9, Wheaton/12, Mq. Wilson/9

Witten/11, A. Robinson/8

Bengals/4

Gostkowski/10

I think I'm going to be around for 8 weeks, and then I walk a minefield with half the Teams gone, and missing 5 Players in Weeks 9 and 11 and no PK in Week 10. Week 9 I'm down Matt Ryan and Brandon Marshall for starters, and 2 of my other 3 bye players are WR, so I'll be starting Flacco, Edelman, Steve Smith and Wheaton, not exactly awe-inspiring. Maybe I'll have some good matchups, or luck into immunity, with my only player off in Week 8 being my backup TE, but that's some crap to bank on...though I'm down only Edelman when my only kicker, Gostkowski, is off in Week 10, I'm still probably going to have to be lucky to stay off the bottom with only 7 Teams remaining. Week 11, no Demarco Murray or Witten, and a few bench guys, but Murray and Witten are being counted on for TD's and precious little else on my Team is going to account for those, so not only will Ryan and Marshall have to have a monster week, I'm going to have to luck into some unexpected red zone production from the rest of the crew to avoid bottoming out in what will be an extremely shallow pool at that point.

I'm shooting for a return to SSL2, hoping I don't drop further down the ladder. Flame away!
Not a bad draft, but the 3 WRs on week 9 are going to really hurt you. One D and one K might work with earlier byes, but with Gostkowski off in Week 10 that could also be bad news for you. I don't trust your TE2 with the Giants to do much of anything for you (and still a few veterans yet to sign). On the positive, your QBs are solid and you have good depth at RB and WR (aside from bye issues). If 1-2 RBs get hurt in front of your RB2 guys, you might have upside here, but it's hard to see this team moving through November.

Final roster:

I love Luck this year as a standout QB4, and I don't care if people thought I reached for him. The rest of the roster did not suffer for taking him in the late 2nd instead of the early 3rd round. Manuel is the entrenched starter and has upside - all you can ask for from your QB2.

RB - Ray Rice (11), Rashad Jennings (8), DeAngelo Williams (12), Ka'Deem Carey (9), Charles Sims (7)

5 players (one more than usual for me) that don't share a bye. Rice is risky and no true RB1, but most teams don't have bell cows any more. All of these guys can catch and I'll take pedestrian performances that keep me alive from this group.

WR - Calvin Johnson (9), T.Y. Hilton (10), Terrance Williams (11), Odell Beckham (8), Lance Moore (12)

Stud WR1 should drive this group. Hilton / Williams offer explosion, and Beckham will be a solid Top 30-35 guy this year in PPR leagues with the Giants going 3-wide (and having next to nothing at TE). Moore will be the slot WR for PIT, replacing Cotchery, and could get TD upside as a result.

Davis is a Top 5 TE, and I got very lucky to still have Lewis as my TE2 when pickings got very thin. He should get decent numbers in Week 8 which is about all I really am counting on from him.

Solid kickers with starting jobs (very much counting Freese as having the DET job). STL is a Top 5 defense and WASH is a sleeper D/ST that compliments the Rams well. Two early byes too with my top PK and D/ST.
This looks like a really solid squad and one I can see making a pretty deep run.

I don't own Manuel and probably never will, but Luck is consistent enough that you probably won't need more than a week or two out of him anyway, and in a best-ball format I'd rather have a mediocre QB who can make plays with his legs than one who can't.

I took the same tack you did with RBs (5 of them led by Rice) and I have no problems with that approach in a PPR league. Sims could be a real steal for you and someone I would have targeted late if Christine Michael hadn't fallen to me in the 15th, since the sample size on Martin is still small enough that we have to consider the possibility he may not be all that good, and Sims can fill in nicely as a 3rd-down back anyway.

I think it was Valence who noted in our discussion thread that a 5-WR squad has never won an SSL - no idea if that's true or not, but the only time I'd ever even consider it would be if I had Megatron up top. I landed Hauschka as well and felt his consistency plus Week 4 bye was enough for me to roll solo there in favor of 5RB/6WR; even with CJ I probably would have done the same in your shoes, especially considering you don't have any other skill-position guys on bye that week.

No complaints about Davis and I can understand why you rolled with him over Cameron, though personally I'd have gone the other way on that.

Having so many of your guys in that Week 8-11 bye-week window means you should have less trouble than most making it through the first 7 weeks, but you could be bumping along the bottom a couple of times come early November and might need a little bit of luck to come out the other side. Ultimately I think your hopes for a title may come down to whether you can get a breakout from T-Will and a solid rookie year out of Beckham. Good luck this season.

Final roster:

This looks like a really solid squad and one I can see making a pretty deep run.

I don't own Manuel and probably never will, but Luck is consistent enough that you probably won't need more than a week or two out of him anyway, and in a best-ball format I'd rather have a mediocre QB who can make plays with his legs than one who can't.

I took the same tack you did with RBs (5 of them led by Rice) and I have no problems with that approach in a PPR league. Sims could be a real steal for you and someone I would have targeted late if Christine Michael hadn't fallen to me in the 15th, since the sample size on Martin is still small enough that we have to consider the possibility he may not be all that good, and Sims can fill in nicely as a 3rd-down back anyway.

I think it was Valence who noted in our discussion thread that a 5-WR squad has never won an SSL - no idea if that's true or not, but the only time I'd ever even consider it would be if I had Megatron up top. I landed Hauschka as well and felt his consistency plus Week 4 bye was enough for me to roll solo there in favor of 5RB/6WR; even with CJ I probably would have done the same in your shoes, especially considering you don't have any other skill-position guys on bye that week.

No complaints about Davis and I can understand why you rolled with him over Cameron, though personally I'd have gone the other way on that.

Having so many of your guys in that Week 8-11 bye-week window means you should have less trouble than most making it through the first 7 weeks, but you could be bumping along the bottom a couple of times come early November and might need a little bit of luck to come out the other side. Ultimately I think your hopes for a title may come down to whether you can get a breakout from T-Will and a solid rookie year out of Beckham. Good luck this season.
TYVM for the review.

17.05 Washington D/ST

I almost took my final player at pick 17, but thought better of the shortage of defenses left. I didn't want a terrible defense to round this out so I took WASH, knowing that my 3 final defensive choices that paired well with STL were WASH, DET and SD. I didn't think any of them would still be there in Round 18 and was appreciative that I could even take my 2nd D I wanted in Rd 17, so I took Washington and tried not to look back.

As it was, several names I wanted fell between my 17th and 18th picks. Andrew Hawkins was the top of my list, and how fitting that BSS took both him and the SD D (no surprise there) - so called that one. My next player on my short list was Donnie Avery, but he fell too. My 3rd option was a RB rather than a WR because I still can't figure out who will be the WR2 in SD - Floyd or V. Brown - so I put Floyd as my 4th option on my list after RB Charles Sims. I liked Sims because he should be the RB2 in TB and also see PPR love out of the backfield. I think he may give me some points early (assuming Rice is suspended) and that could really help - plus he offers major upside if Doug Martin gets injured. With 5 WRs already on my team - none of which share a bye - WR6 was more of a luxury and RB5 was more of a need. First time I've gone off the 2-4-6-2-2-2 normal pattern for me, but I think this squad warranted it.

Final roster:

One regret here is not taking D. Freeman in Round 12 (went STL D). If I had gone Freeman / Defense (such as CHI) I would have felt much better about my RBs and may not have added a fifth one. We'll see if that costs me.

I still think that this team has a reasonable shot to stick around into December.
QB - I was the one who didn't like the early QB pick. Davis surviving to the 3rd helped reduce the damage. Luck offers get consistency and should take another step forward this year. Manual was a good and cheap backup pick. Grade B

RB - Good ideal to add a fifth. Your success will likely hinge on Rice. I grabbed him at the 4/5 turn in the pdsl, but the possible suspension is concerning. Which Rice do we get this year, the bellow or the 2013 shell of himself? Kubiak should help Rice. After that I see a bunch of guys with little upside to be difference makers. Grade C-

WR - Risky. CJ is a stud but if he throws up a clunker you don't have much room for error. I was all over Hilton last year, but now you got Wayne, Nicks, and Allen in the mix. I thought Hilton was going to be a stud, but now I'm not so sure. I think Williams was an outstanding pick. You'll need something from Beckham/Moore, not sure if the stats will be there this year. Overall you are ahead of the curve here and I won't hit you too hard on the depth although it is a concern. Grade B+

TE - Stud lite and a great backup. Not much else to say. Grade A-

D/K - You got a full compliment and they are average to above average within their groups. Grade B+

You should survive deep into the year. Not sure if I see the top end punch to win out at the end.

17.05 Washington D/ST

Final roster:

QB - I was the one who didn't like the early QB pick. Davis surviving to the 3rd helped reduce the damage. Luck offers get consistency and should take another step forward this year. Manual was a good and cheap backup pick. Grade B

RB - Good ideal to add a fifth. Your success will likely hinge on Rice. I grabbed him at the 4/5 turn in the pdsl, but the possible suspension is concerning. Which Rice do we get this year, the bellow or the 2013 shell of himself? Kubiak should help Rice. After that I see a bunch of guys with little upside to be difference makers. Grade C-

WR - Risky. CJ is a stud but if he throws up a clunker you don't have much room for error. I was all over Hilton last year, but now you got Wayne, Nicks, and Allen in the mix. I thought Hilton was going to be a stud, but now I'm not so sure. I think Williams was an outstanding pick. You'll need something from Beckham/Moore, not sure if the stats will be there this year. Overall you are ahead of the curve here and I won't hit you too hard on the depth although it is a concern. Grade B+

TE - Stud lite and a great backup. Not much else to say. Grade A-

D/K - You got a full compliment and they are average to above average within their groups. Grade B+

You should survive deep into the year. Not sure if I see the top end punch to win out at the end.
Thanks BNB.

As to the VDavis lasting to the 3rd, that was a given pretty much as I had several TE options at the 2nd pick but Graham was already gone, so I knew a good TE would make it back to me in the 3rd.

I agree about Rice, but I think having two young RB2s on their respective teams (Sims, Carey) could be the upside that makes this team a winner. As long as Calvin is my WR1, I should get either Hilton or Williams as my WR2 most weeks with either the other guy or Beckham as my WR3. If I need Lance Moore often, this team will not be that good.

Overall I am happy with it and as long as my RBs don't cost me, I have a shot. That's about all you can ask for with these.

It was fun to draft with everyone as well, BTW - until we slowed down for the final week. Nice to be back doing these.

Users who are viewing this thread