What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL2 Commentary (1 Viewer)

6.14 QB Matt Leinart 8

8.14 QB Matt Schaub 10

1.03 RB Brian Westbrook 5

4.14 RB DeAngelo Williams 7

7.03 RB Reuben Droughns 9

2.14 WR Terrell Owens 8

3.03 WR TJ Houshmanzadeh 5

9.03 WR Isaac Bruce 9

10.14 WR Arnaz Battle 6

12.14 WR Bobby Wade 5

5.03 TE Kellen Winslow 7

11.03 TE Desmond Clark 9

Good start, though I'm going to need a diamond in the rough at QB2 in case Arizona struggles to adapt to the new coaching philosophy. And at least half of the picks have had injury problems in the past.

5/11 edit: Lots of guys with upside. The question is, will any of them achieve it?

Last edited by a moderator:
My team thus far:

2.10 Peyton Manning QB IND (6)

9.07 Tarvaris Jackson QB MIN (5)

1.07 Shaun Alexander RB SEA (8)

3.07 Ahman Green RB HOU (10)

5.07 Lamont Jordan RB OAK (5)

10.10 Chris Henry RB TEN (4)

4.10 Chris Chambers WR MIA (9)

6.10 Calvin Johnson WR DET (6)

7.07 Ronald Curry WR OAK (5)

11.07 Michael Jenkins WR ATL (8)

12.10 Wes Welker WR NE (10)

8.10 Dallas Clark TE IND (6)

13.07 New York Jets D/ST (10)

Bass, I know you aren't big on QB's in survivor leagues, but by my count you have no QB through 10 rounds. do you know somehting the rest of us don't?

Bass, I know you aren't big on QB's in survivor leagues, but by my count you have no QB through 10 rounds. do you know somehting the rest of us don't?
He don't need no stinkin' QB's. :lmao: :X

Bass will probably take Craig Nall and Casey Bramlett and end up winning the league. :lmao:

McNabb

FWP

Edge

Rhodes

Peterson

Driver

Glenn

Muhammad

M. Jones

Crumpler

Chicago D

Favre

Big Ben

S. Jackson

Deuce

Roy Williams

Joey Galloway

Derrick Mason

Eddie Kennison

Joe Jurevicius

Shockey

Graham

Didn't want to reach for a QB when there was better value on the board. Considered QB at the last turn, but waited 36 picks and got the same guys anyway. By doing this I added Balt D and Michael Turner. QBs went ridicously early in this draft and far earlier then other drafts.QB: Green, HaurdRB: Benson, AD, JJ, TurnerWR: Burress, Cotchery, Jennings, CurtisTE: GatesD: Balt

LHUCKS said:
McNabbFWPEdgeRhodesPetersonDriverGlennMuhammadM. JonesCrumplerChicago D
Nice team. The only question: who will be QB2?
Doesn't need one. Big Ben and Batch by themselves worked just fine for me last year. Anyone he adds now might improve his yearly score by 20-30 points max. Meanwhile he's loaded everywhere else. Muhammy was a much better pick for this team than a QB2.

Is it just me or have there been an incredible number of reaches in this draft. I'm seeing guys go 6-8 rounds early.

Yea I don't know why it worked out the way it did but I had a much better draft in PDSL than this one drafting from the same #1 spot. Seems like I just didn't have as much interest after this one started. :headbang:

BassNBrew said:
QBs went ridicously early in this draft and far earlier then other drafts.
:lmao: I'll account for some of that! While I do like to take one QB relatively early in these, depending on how the draft is going, I didn't plan on running the board. Shoulda/woulda taken the first one round 5 instead of 4; when both Deangelo and Winslow went before my 5th pick I got pissy and went with the second....then going into round 6 there was a string of targets who dropped in the preceding picks and without a good draftboard in front of me I figured on going for broke. :loco: Gonna hurt some I expect; we'll see how it washes out:QB: Kitna, Romo, DelhommeRB: Bush, R. Brown, M. BellWR: R. Moss, Bennett, Furrey, B. JohnsonD: Carolina

BassNBrew said:
;) I'll account for some of that! While I do like to take one QB relatively early in these, depending on how the draft is going, I didn't plan on running the board. Shoulda/woulda taken the first one round 5 instead of 4; when both Deangelo and Winslow went before my 5th pick I got pissy and went with the second....then going into round 6 there was a string of targets who dropped in the preceding picks and without a good draftboard in front of me I figured on going for broke. :suds: Gonna hurt some I expect; we'll see how it washes out:QB: Kitna, Romo, DelhommeRB: Bush, R. Brown, M. BellWR: R. Moss, Bennett, Furrey, B. JohnsonD: Carolina
Suicide

BassNBrew said:
:lol: I'll account for some of that! While I do like to take one QB relatively early in these, depending on how the draft is going, I didn't plan on running the board. Shoulda/woulda taken the first one round 5 instead of 4; when both Deangelo and Winslow went before my 5th pick I got pissy and went with the second....then going into round 6 there was a string of targets who dropped in the preceding picks and without a good draftboard in front of me I figured on going for broke. :moneybag: Gonna hurt some I expect; we'll see how it washes out:QB: Kitna, Romo, DelhommeRB: Bush, R. Brown, M. BellWR: R. Moss, Bennett, Furrey, B. JohnsonD: Carolina
Suicide
:thumbup:

BassNBrew said:
McNabbFWPEdgeRhodesPetersonDriverGlennMuhammadM. JonesCrumplerChicago D
Nice team. The only question: who will be QB2?
Doesn't need one. Big Ben and Batch by themselves worked just fine for me last year. Anyone he adds now might improve his yearly score by 20-30 points max. Meanwhile he's loaded everywhere else. Muhammy was a much better pick for this team than a QB2.
:popcorn: The QB2 was vastly overpriced in this draft. With the roster size so slim you really need your WRs and RBs to be strong because there is less room to cover with depth.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
BassNBrew said:
Is it just me or have there been an incredible number of reaches in this draft. I'm seeing guys go 6-8 rounds early.
I noticed this in SSL1 as well.PDSL and WSL were tighter drafts IMO.
I didn't really think so. Some went a little earlier than I thought but I wouldn't really consider them reaches...and if you're on the end, you may have to draft a guy you really like because he may not be there when you pick again. Maybe my memory is fading but the only one that really stood out was Turner. I'm curious to hear who you thought the reaches were.

I will go out on a limb and say that Sammy Morris in the 11th was a reach (and I took him). The thing is that I was deciding between him and Crayton at that spot, but it did not matter (I know that I posted between him and the other Morris, but by that time I made up my mind to take another RB). The way the top of the board was grasping at RB in the 11th I did not think he would be there at 13.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
BassNBrew said:
I noticed this in SSL1 as well.PDSL and WSL were tighter drafts IMO.
I didn't really think so. Some went a little earlier than I thought but I wouldn't really consider them reaches...and if you're on the end, you may have to draft a guy you really like because he may not be there when you pick again. Maybe my memory is fading but the only one that really stood out was Turner. I'm curious to hear who you thought the reaches were.
added my response in the SSL1 commentary thread

Factoid: Of the eight SSL finalists last year, four of them had three QBs.

Admittedly, three of the four QB3s were late-round handcuffs, but I thought that it was an interesting result.

I thought there were a lot more reaches in SS1 than SSL2. I've seen about half a dozen players go a full round later in SSL2 than SSL1, and in almost every case, I think the SSL2 draft position was a better reflection of value.

edit to add that Sammy Morris is the first pick that I looked at and thought it was huge reach.

QB - Matt Hasselbeck (8), Alex Smith (6)

RB - Thomas Jones (10), Marshawn Lynch (6), Lorenzo Booker (9)

WR - Chad Johnson (5), Santonio Holmes (6), Reggie Williams (4), Mike Clayton (10), Marty Booker (9)

TE - Todd Heap (8), Ben Troupe (4)

Pretty satisfied with this group overall.

It took me a year or two to figure out how to win in survivor. I used to make a lot of dumb boom-or-bust upside picks, but that's not what survivor is about. Survivor is all about strength in numbers and building quality depth. The draft isn't over yet, but I think I've done a pretty good job with the roster.

Hasselbeck and Smith aren't studs, but they're two solid NFL starters with strong job security. Between the two of them, I should get top 10 production each week.

Thomas Jones isn't flashy, but he's a quality back who should score a decent amount of points most weeks. I feel the same way about Lynch. Not a world beater, but he'll get his share of points. I didn't want to reach for a marginal RB when there will still good QBs and WRs on the board, so I waited until the 10th to draft my third back. Lorenzo Booker should get some catches each week and give me a few points to cover emergencies and byes.

I like my WRs. Chad is a stud and the rest of my guys should be starting for an NFL team next season. Holmes, Williams, and Clayton give me sneaky breakout potential, while Booker provides boring depth.

IMO, the value of a stud TE is immense in this format. With 16 teams in the fold, a guy like Todd Heap gives you a major edge over the competition. Heap hasn't been the healthiest player though, so I tried to get a solid backup in Troupe.

Still a long way to go, but I like where my team is headed. It would be nice to have earlier byes, but the real key is drafting quality players who have a real chance to contribute each week. I think I've accomplished that goal so far.

6.14 QB Matt Leinart 8

8.14 QB Matt Schaub 10

14.14 QB Brady Quinn 7

1.03 RB Brian Westbrook 5

4.14 RB DeAngelo Williams 7

7.03 RB Reuben Droughns 9

18.14 RB Garrett Wolfe 9

2.14 WR Terrell Owens 8

3.03 WR TJ Houshmanzadeh 5

9.03 WR Isaac Bruce 9

10.14 WR Arnaz Battle 6

12.14 WR Bobby Wade 5

5.03 TE Kellen Winslow 7

11.03 TE Desmond Clark 9

13.03 K Adam Vinatieri 6

16.14 K Ryan Longwell 5

15.03 DST Green Bay 7

17.03 DST Houston 10

Good start, though I'm going to need a diamond in the rough at QB2 in case Arizona struggles to adapt to the new coaching philosophy. And at least half of the picks have had injury problems in the past.

5/11 edit: Lots of guys with upside. The question is, will any of them achieve it?
Two more boom-or-bust picks as backups. For Clark, I find it hard to believe that a rookie will push a top-12 TE into a marginal player. And at $3 million per year, I gotta figure that Childress sees something in Bobby Wade that other teams haven't.5/19 edit: BnB said it right about taking a top kicker with a week 6 bye. I added Quinn because my QB combo seemed a bit weak for a 6 pts/TD league. And Green Bay, I was surprised to learn, was the #4 defense last year in this scoring system; they were #4 in sacks and #3 in INTs, which are the most consistent stats from year to year.

5/23 edit: Commentary moved to SSL2 Team thread

:ptts: I'll account for some of that! While I do like to take one QB relatively early in these, depending on how the draft is going, I didn't plan on running the board. Shoulda/woulda taken the first one round 5 instead of 4; when both Deangelo and Winslow went before my 5th pick I got pissy and went with the second....then going into round 6 there was a string of targets who dropped in the preceding picks and without a good draftboard in front of me I figured on going for broke. :popcorn: Gonna hurt some I expect; we'll see how it washes out:QB: Kitna, Romo, DelhommeRB: Bush, R. Brown, M. BellWR: R. Moss, Bennett, Furrey, B. JohnsonD: Carolina
Suicide
:ptts:
Guess I can't complain, lasting this long....obviously it was the Romo & Moss show, primarily! Always rather be lucky than good! :ptts:

Users who are viewing this thread