What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

starting randall cobb over.... (1 Viewer)

Well alright then... looks I'm getting zeroed tonight.

And I went fairly high on the blind bid for Cobb too. Crikey.

File this under, "Win Some Lose Some."
Well that's something.Now I'm thinking... hey I bet the Marshall owner in my league is pretty ticked right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like last week's Broncos game. Why did it take the coaching staff a quarter and a half to start using Peyton's no-huddle? Why did it take the Packers coaches a quarter and a half to start using Cobb??
Did you miss the start of the game? Apparently he hurt his arm early in the first.

It's like last week's Broncos game. Why did it take the coaching staff a quarter and a half to start using Peyton's no-huddle? Why did it take the Packers coaches a quarter and a half to start using Cobb??
Did you miss the start of the game? Apparently he hurt his arm early in the first.
He was immediately back in after the minor "injury" to return the Bears next punt. So clearly the arm wasn't an issue. They just chose not to use him on offense.

I am happy I had Cobb on my bench this week but I am also pleased from what I saw tonight. The stats were terrible but the two times he touched the ball he was electric. And he had a nice run earlier in the game called back by a hold. He looks very explosive, and I can see him having some serious value as the season progresses.

Just terrible. I'd understand him not being out there if what GB was doing was working but he is their best play maker from what I can tell. All the reading and research really means very little most times. :yucky:

'Insein said:
'shadyridr said:
'Insein said:
Wow, well thanks McCarthy. Glad Cobb factored into all your plans so far. I swear coaches speak out their ### sometimes just to laugh at people like us who take them seriously.
did the coach speak really imfluence your decision? why would they tell the opposing ream their gameplan? honestly i thought he was a good start cuz of the jennings injury not the coach speak
I'm just overreacting. If I had not watched the game at all and then look tomorrow to find he has 115 yards and a TD, I'd be happy as a pig in slop. Looking minute to minute makes you irrational. And there's a catch. Yay!
I stand by my original freak out. Between Cutler, MArhsall, Cobb and Gould, I got 15 points tonight. Yay? :unsure:

'Insein said:
'shadyridr said:
'Insein said:
Wow, well thanks McCarthy. Glad Cobb factored into all your plans so far. I swear coaches speak out their ### sometimes just to laugh at people like us who take them seriously.
did the coach speak really imfluence your decision? why would they tell the opposing ream their gameplan? honestly i thought he was a good start cuz of the jennings injury not the coach speak
I'm just overreacting. If I had not watched the game at all and then look tomorrow to find he has 115 yards and a TD, I'd be happy as a pig in slop. Looking minute to minute makes you irrational. And there's a catch. Yay!
I stand by my original freak out. Between Cutler, MArhsall, Cobb and Gould, I got 15 points tonight. Yay? :unsure:
I like Cobb a lot and thing he will have some monster games due to his diversity - but....you'll also have your fair share of games like tonight. High risk, high reward. McCluster is similar, so is Sproles. You might get an occassional homerun, but you won't get consistency.

C'mon people, now Cobb = Sproles? Time for a reality check. Cobb is an exciting player to watch but is not gonna be a consistent fantasy contributor on the GB Packers..

'The Dude said:
He is not their best playmaker - please stop the insanity
Not to be argumentative but who was the best play maker last night? Even with limited touches he made plays. Last week he kept them in the game with a punt return. I am not saying best player I am saying a guy that can make a play. I imagine you will say Nelson and I can see that but he still is leaps and bounds better than old man Driver, Jones and Finley and I own 2 of those guys as well. So sorry Susan Powter, I will not stop the insanity GB.

When GB gets up by a lot, Cobb will not play a significant role running the clock out. That will happen the majority of games. How often will GB be trailing by more than one score and be in comeback mode while completely forgetting that they even have a RB, like they did against the 49ers? I'm not sure why people didn't realize this

'The Dude said:
Not to be argumentative but who was the best play maker last night?
Benson.
Serious question, do you think if given the same amount of opportunities that Cobb would've done better or worse? It's hard to compare they are very different players but I think Cobb does just as well if not better. However the coaches know way more than most of us and the game plan worked. I've been high on Benson it was good to see him do so well.

Cobb's very talented and explosive. As a Packers' fan I love what he could become and if I owned him in fantasy I'd be excited about his potential both this season and beyond as well. However, he's just a situational player in the Packers' offense at this time. That means he will likely struggle to deliver consistent fantasy production. For every game like he had against the 49ers he'll have one like last night where scheme and formations dictated he was used less frequently. The Packers have a lot of talent offensively and that will make it difficult for everyone to shine every week. It also didn't help that Jennings was out last night. He's a HUGE part of what makes the Packers tick offensively. They need him badly. Get him back and I think you'll see better production from Cobb as well as Finley and Jones. I don't think it's a coincidence that all three played well in Week 1 with Jennings and struggled to do much in Week 2 without him.

Cobb's very talented and explosive. As a Packers' fan I love what he could become and if I owned him in fantasy I'd be excited about his potential both this season and beyond as well. However, he's just a situational player in the Packers' offense at this time. That means he will likely struggle to deliver consistent fantasy production. For every game like he had against the 49ers he'll have one like last night where scheme and formations dictated he was used less frequently. The Packers have a lot of talent offensively and that will make it difficult for everyone to shine every week. It also didn't help that Jennings was out last night. He's a HUGE part of what makes the Packers tick offensively. They need him badly. Get him back and I think you'll see better production from Cobb as well as Finley and Jones. I don't think it's a coincidence that all three played well in Week 1 with Jennings and struggled to do much in Week 2 without him.
Wow, a level headed response from a packer fan (coming from a bear fan :boxing: - you should give lessons to Sho Nuff.

'The Dude said:
Benson.
Serious question, do you think if given the same amount of opportunities that Cobb would've done better or worse? It's hard to compare they are very different players but I think Cobb does just as well if not better. However the coaches know way more than most of us and the game plan worked. I've been high on Benson it was good to see him do so well.
R u implying Cobb is a better running back than Benson? If so, either you are wrong or the Packers should hire you as the offensive coordinator. I am guessing you are wrong.When that offense is on, Cobb will be the 3rd maybe 4th best option on that team behind Jennings, Nelson, Finley, and Benson.

'Insein said:
'shadyridr said:
'Insein said:
I like Cobb a lot and thing he will have some monster games due to his diversity - but....you'll also have your fair share of games like tonight. High risk, high reward. McCluster is similar, so is Sproles. You might get an occassional homerun, but you won't get consistency.
It's just too soon to group him in with Sproles. McCluster... maybe. I don't see many monster games. The Packers have a lot of weapons and he is like #6 on that list. (Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Benson, Jones, then, maybe, Cobb).

'The Dude said:
Not to be argumentative but who was the best play maker last night? Even with limited touches he made plays. Last week he kept them in the game with a punt return. I am not saying best player I am saying a guy that can make a play. I imagine you will say Nelson and I can see that but he still is leaps and bounds better than old man Driver, Jones and Finley and I own 2 of those guys as well. So sorry Susan Powter, I will not stop the insanity GB.
1) Benson 2) Nelson, 3) Crabtree 4) FinleyNot leaps and bounds better than Jones and Finley. Let him have one season of 600/5 as Jones consistently does and we'll talk. It won't be this season it should be pretty clear to see after last night. They had Finley in at WR, not Cobb. Why won't you guys accept what this means about Cobb? He isn't ready for anything more than wrinkle plays. He isn't ready to be playing receiver.

I agree with this. Jones, Finley, and to a lesser extent, Cobb, need Jennings in the game to be at their best. Cobb will still get a few 'Cobb' plays like that toss he took for 28 yards, with or without Jennings. Jones especially need Jennings for him to have more opportunity. That is my take from watching the game last night.

'The Dude said:
Benson.
R u implying Cobb is a better running back than Benson? If so, either you are wrong or the Packers should hire you as the offensive coordinator. I am guessing you are wrong.When that offense is on, Cobb will be the 3rd maybe 4th best option on that team behind Jennings, Nelson, Finley, and Benson.
I should know better but I can't help but reply. I said opportunities, ie time on the field, carries, targets, you know....opportunities. I am very reasonable and when presented with opposing views I respect them...typically. I asked an honest question and he provided an honest response and I respect his point of view. You on the other hand have provided nothing but insults. My question was specifically about last night, I own Finley and had him started, I don't think he played well. Jennings was in street clothes. Jones, sorry but he was inconsistant as ever and caused a TO (as did Finley). So I can see a point for Nelson or Benson but I was really talking about the WR's. Also I think people are confused about the difference between a playmaker and a good player. It is more than possible that Driver is a better player than Cobb but I said playmaker. Cobb is a chunk yardage guy, a turn the field guy. I don't think he was given enough opportunities to do that. That was my whole point. No one likes to see hissy fits in these threads. Can we please just discuss the merits of the guy with out being insulting? FWIW I do have some experience in evaluating talent for a living.

I spent some dough on Cobb in my blind bid waivers and I'm not disappointed.

Last night was just a buzzsaw game for Green Bay, period. It was pretty conservative, Rodgers was getting hammered, atypical game for the Pack. This may be two straight for them like this, where they just didn't look like their usual electric offense, but then again look at the defenses they have gone up against. I'm betting this improves with the schedule.

There is still obviously an intent to get Cobb in the game. I count 5 touches chances by Cobb, though 2 were affected by penalties. Three were on one drive. One was on 3rd down.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/playbyplay/NFL_20120913_CHI@GB

I agree with the point on Jennings, he helps the offense overall.

Benson is Benson: is he really going to pound it out like this every game? I respect his ability but he can be pretty mediocre. GB's defense was destroying Chicago and it was teed up for Benson. I just don't believe this will be the Green Bay M.O. this year.

Finley is not doing himself any favors.

On Cobb's opportunities I thought he looked great; he could have scored on that run with a little luck, he was caught at the 12 yard line or so. I think that kind of play will only encourage GB to use him more not less.

In 0.5 PPR Cobb put up 5.3. That sounds poor, but 2 plays got called back, he almost scored, and meanwhile Cutler had 4.7, Jennings was a no-show, Jones did zip, Rodgers was a 10.5, Marshall was a 3.4. Finley was a 3.4. I'm feeling ok about this.

Benson is Benson: is he really going to pound it out like this every game? I respect his ability but he can be pretty mediocre. GB's defense was destroying Chicago and it was teed up for Benson. I just don't believe this will be the Green Bay M.O. this year.
I don't either. I think their personality is far closer to Week 1 than what we saw last night. That's why I think if Jennings returns next week and stays healthy you'll see much better production moving forward from Cobb, Finley and Jones. All three will have their dud games but there will be some and perhaps plenty of good ones too. If I was a Cobb owner I wouldn't panic either. I'm a Jones owner and I'm holding for now. This is a pass-first offense and I expect that to remain the case. But Jennings needs to stay healthy in order for it to reach its full potential.

I about crapped my pants when Driver got the TD pass. Good for the old guy, but I didn't see the number quick enough and had a fleeting moment of hope, only to get crushed down to reality. I was hoping I could catch lightning in a bottle and it caught me instead. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Strangely, I think this has more to do with how you view the GB D. It seems that if GB gets a lead, he's the one who will suffer the most in the offense. GB was able to exploit what everyone talked about prior to the season, namely the atrocious pass blocking of Chicago, and I'm not sure they'll do that every week.

I about crapped my pants when Driver got the TD pass. Good for the old guy, but I didn't see the number quick enough and had a fleeting moment of hope, only to get crushed down to reality. I was hoping I could catch lightning in a bottle and it caught me instead. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Strangely, I think this has more to do with how you view the GB D. It seems that if GB gets a lead, he's the one who will suffer the most in the offense. GB was able to exploit what everyone talked about prior to the season, namely the atrocious pass blocking of Chicago, and I'm not sure they'll do that every week.
yeah I feel like the flow of the game will dictate. If they are losing or the game is close that equals more cobb. If they are winning and killing the clock that will be less cobb or in this case no cobb at all in the second half.

I figured the first 2 games might be tough, but I think a part of me was hoping that since they were playing good teams and playing at home that the other team would be matching them for points thus making Green Bay keep playing. They do seem a little off right now. It just hasn't been clean.

I figured the first 2 games might be tough, but I think a part of me was hoping that since they were playing good teams and playing at home that the other team would be matching them for points thus making Green Bay keep playing. They do seem a little off right now. It just hasn't been clean.
Nope. I think Week 1 was a lot about the 49ers' defense. They are damn good. Last night I thought a lot of it was not having Jennings. However, it's also true that Rodgers hasn't been really good in several games dating back to last season. He's missing throws he normally makes - the possible TD to Jones was a good example last night. Jones should've caught the ball and adjusted better but Rodgers could have made a better throw. That should've been an easy TD. Jones had his guy beat.

I should know better but I can't help but reply. I said opportunities, ie time on the field, carries, targets, you know....opportunities. I am very reasonable and when presented with opposing views I respect them...typically. I asked an honest question and he provided an honest response and I respect his point of view. You on the other hand have provided nothing but insults. My question was specifically about last night, I own Finley and had him started, I don't think he played well. Jennings was in street clothes. Jones, sorry but he was inconsistant as ever and caused a TO (as did Finley). So I can see a point for Nelson or Benson but I was really talking about the WR's. Also I think people are confused about the difference between a playmaker and a good player. It is more than possible that Driver is a better player than Cobb but I said playmaker. Cobb is a chunk yardage guy, a turn the field guy. I don't think he was given enough opportunities to do that. That was my whole point. No one likes to see hissy fits in these threads. Can we please just discuss the merits of the guy with out being insulting? FWIW I do have some experience in evaluating talent for a living.
Alright, no offense just having a little fun. It's a tough line cause better players are going to get more opportunities. Playmakers - if I am following your definition - have to make the most of less opportunities. This type of playmaker will be inconsistent from week to week. That sounds like a fantasy roller coaster with more lows than highs.

Well we all just need to learn the lesson.

Cobb is a situational player on a very diversified offense. Anyone's guess when he'll break out for several touches.

I also started cutler, so my week is hosed, and it's Friday. :) Hope some others here have better luck over the weekend!

Week One: started Amendola over Cobb :wall:

Week Two: started Cobb over Amendola :wall:

Week Three: :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread