What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stay away from Carson Palmer (1 Viewer)

If John Kitna were starting for Cincy, how much would you downgrade him based on SOS? I'm assuming he would get bumped a few notches, but I doubt many people would scratch him off their lists entirely.

Seeing as how Marv Lewis (who knows more about Palmer's maturation than anybody posting in this thread, unless one of you happens to be Carson Palmer) apparently thinks Palmer is actually better than Kitna, I don't see why this should knock Palmer off anybody's sleeper lists. SOS doesn't change the fact that he still has a pretty good line, fantastic WRs, and a balanced offense. I don't care if San Diego plays Central Pasedina High 16 times this year, I still wouldn't draft Phillip Rivers. SOS is one part of the analysis, but there's so much more that still runs in Palmer's favor.

I suppose if I'm going with a QBBC approach I might be less inclined to include Palmer in a platoon than before, but not by much.
I agree with this way of thinking. I don't know how we all know so much more than Coach Lewis.Lewis did a brilliant job his first year as head coach and now, the doubters feel that he'll throw in a green quarterback.

You guys/girls will see that Carson Palmer will be a good QB. The schedule is hard so he's not going to break any records, but I think he'll be just fine.

If John Kitna were starting for Cincy, how much would you downgrade him based on SOS?
I would. That's what SOS means to me. This has nothing to do with Carson Palmer (check my first post--I said I was neither high nor low on him).

To me, SOS is just the flip-side of supporting cast.Brett Favre--awesome no matter his supporting cast.Rich Gannon--awesome WHEN he has an awesome supporting castYou could say "it doesn't matter what defense you play every week, a QB will be good if he's good", but can't that same argument be applied to the supporting cast?I.e., "it doesn't matter who Drew Bledsoe's supporting cast is, Drew Bledsoe rules, so he'll be good!"Clearly, that's not the case. Why we accurately call one and miss the boat on the other seems odd to me.How this can be viewed as anything but a SERIOUS negative is a big issue.(Oh yea. If someone can prove to me that pre-season ranking of supporting casts is more accurate than pre-season rankings of defenses with respect to fantasy points allowed to QBs, be my guest. I'm not saying it's true or not true--but I've yet to seen it proven).

It doesn't take a genius to figure out having Palmer play the Ravens, Patriots, Dolphins,etc. is bad for his stats.
I think it's the "etc." part that people are disputing. Especially in conjunction with things like this:
My system factors in those garbage points you get against good Ds. I didn't rank the Ds by good Ds ... For this reason, someone like Cleveland ranks very high. The Jets don't have a great D, but they were in the top ten for QB FPs allowed.
I think that is a large part of why defenses are hard to predict. Defenses like Baltimore were good because they were good. That's not so hard to predict (although it's not trivial). But defenses like the Jets were good because they landed in a tiny window of "good because they're bad, and because they were helped by a bad offense, but not so bad that they're worse than their run D." There were just a lot of extraneous factors working together to make the Jets a "good" passing D last year. Will those same factors align again this year? That is hard to predict.Baltimore, Miami, Dallas, New England, I'll give you (although I'll wager that at least one of those teams will be below average against QBs this year). And that does add up to a fair amount of games that figure to be tough. It is enough to slide him down a few notches. But I'm not too worried about the Jets, Browns, Steelers, "etc."

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think for a minute that I dispute SOS but... in the Bengals 1st 5 games they only play 1 defense that was ranked in the top 12 last year (BAL). While the schedule gets brutal after that, starting the season against the softer part of the schedule can only help build the kid's confidence.

Hey Chase...does this mean that Delhomme jumps over Palmer in your rankings? Come buddy, be the first to put him in the top 17.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out having Palmer play the Ravens, Patriots, Dolphins,etc. is bad for his stats.
I think it's the "etc." part that people are disputing. Especially in conjunction with things like this:
My system factors in those garbage points you get against good Ds. I didn't rank the Ds by good Ds ... For this reason, someone like Cleveland ranks very high.  The Jets don't have a great D, but they were in the top ten for QB FPs allowed.
I think that is a large part of why defenses are hard to predict. Defenses like Baltimore were good because they were good. That's not so hard to predict (although it's not trivial). But defenses like the Jets were good because they landed in a tiny window of "good because they're bad, and because they were helped by a bad offense, but not so bad that they're worse than their run D." There were just a lot of extraneous factors working together to make the Jets a "good" passing D last year. Will those same factors align again this year? That is hard to predict.Baltimore, Miami, Dallas, New England, I'll give you (although I'll wager that at least one of those teams will be below average against QBs this year). And that does add up to a fair amount of games that figure to be tough. It is enough to slide him down a few notches. But I'm not too worried about the Jets, Browns, Steelers, "etc."
Fair enough Doug....but I don't know if those defenses are any harder to predict, than say supporting cast.Yes, Holmes/LT/Deuce/Ahman are studs...but at least one of those won't be top ten this year is a decent bet too.

Can we figure out if there's a way to see if supporting casts are easier to predict than opposing defenses?

It's certainly possible that the trio of Bengals WRs falls on their young faces, and that the RBs dissapoint. I just have a problem liking someone because they have good teammates, but not caring that they face good opponents. Thoughts on this?

(P.S. I'm well aware you're not a big believer of SOS, and that I'm not going to change your mind on this. AND, that you've got a lot of strong data to back your theory up. However, the Bengals schedule is EXTREMELY difficult, and I know you probably respect statistical outliers like that).

I'm well aware you're not a big believer of SOS .... However, the Bengals schedule is EXTREMELY difficult, and I know you probably respect statistical outliers like that.
Sure. As I said, it does look like a tough schedule, and it probably is reason to drop him a few notches. I don't think I've ever advocated ignoring SOS, just recognizing that it comes with lot of uncertainty.[i'm ducking your supporting cast comparison until I've thought about it some more]

I'm well aware you're not a big believer of SOS .... However, the Bengals schedule is EXTREMELY difficult, and I know you probably respect statistical outliers like that.
Sure. As I said, it does look like a tough schedule, and it probably is reason to drop him a few notches. I don't think I've ever advocated ignoring SOS, just recognizing that it comes with lot of uncertainty.[i'm ducking your supporting cast comparison until I've thought about it some more]
That's fine--to be fair, I came up with the "supporting cast" theory about three hours ago.I think SOS is a tool--you can't draft off it, but it has benefits.I think for mediocre players, it's extremely important.I think we could use more statistics from anyone out there, including myself. I'll throw this one out there:According to my FBG book of stats;)Doug Johnson's 9.2 FP/G against Med Def was 34th best.Doug Johnson's 9.3 FP/G against Good Def was 24th best.Brad Johnson's 20.9 FP/G against Bad Def was 9th best.Brad Johnson's 18.1 FP/G against Good Def was 4th best.Jake Plummer's 18.2 FP/G against Bad Def was 13th best.Jake Plummer's 18.3 FP/G against Med Def was 7th best.Basically, it seems that it's not so impressive to do the same thing against a Bad D as it is against a Good D. This is because it's harder to score FPs against Good Ds, and thus why we don't want our QBs to play them in a QBBC sense (this is how this all started--for my QBBC).I believe with the right way of ranking the Ds (which I feel I've done), I can get a good grip on the schedules. Because of this I can recommend a QBBC, and I can see that Kitna/Palmer/whoever's schedule is EXTREMELY difficult.There's no arguing that playing a good D is bad for your QB. Just because it's not easy to predict Ds doesn't mean you should avoid it.

Hi Chase. I keep looking for a 2004 SOS excel workbook that has the schedule in one worksheet and allows the user to input the SOS values and recalculate the matrix/combos. Are you using a version of this or know where a FBG subscriber could find one with this year's schedule in it?Thanks!

Wow that is a brutal schedule. I will however say that Cinci/Palmer should be good to torch both Pitt and Clev at least once next year. Mark it down. Niether team plays very good pass D nor do I have any reason to expect that to change this year.
Pittsburgh was pitt-i-full last year with their passing D, but I think they'll be much improved this year. LeBeau is back, Washington is gone, Troy P has another year under his belt, Colclough is in the house--and the Stillers will probably try to get back to a ball controlling offense.That said, Cinnci always seems to have at least one good game against the Black and Gold, but can Palmer, in his first season, have the skills and saavy-ness to capitalize on this trend? I'm not sure.

Chase - I'm curious as to how you assign strength of passing D. Is it strictly based on yards and passing TDs given up? If so, I think that's a bad measure. A poor run D can lead to teams not passing as much. A poor offense can lead to other teams milking the clock late and not passing often. I feel the best stat for measuring a pass D is YPA allowed. YPA is a very good stat to measure passing. Perhaps you could find the average passer rating for the opposing team. Same thing goes for run Ds - YPC is more important to me than yards or TDs.If you really want to dig into it, I like to see how a D's numbers compare to their opponents average against other teams. In other words, let's say the Steelers gave up 150 yards rushing to Baltimore. If Baltimore averages 175, then Pittsburgh did a good job. If they average 125, then Pittsburgh did a poor job. Look at some stats in those terms and you can see how well the D actually did. I've done this a little bit in the past and I think it's pretty effective. However, it's hard to do during the year because your sample size is tiny early on.

when was the last time a rookie or 1st year starting qb averaged 224 pass yds and 1.625 tds a game? culpepper?, manning?thats what he needs to post kitna-esque(first time for that word) #s from last season. are we putting palmer in the same class as future HOFers culpepper and manning already?iam notat least let him tear it up in the preseason :rolleyes:
I for one certainly am not putting Kitna in the same class as Manning or Culpepper. But Marvin Lewis seems willing to put him in the same class as John Kitna.

Cinci will most likely be throwing the ball a good bit at least once vs. each team I'm willing to bet. They lit up Clev and Pitt both for 3 tds passing in a game last year IIRC and I can very easily see it happening agian this year as well.
Just for the record, Kitna also put up 274-3-0 on the Ravens in a game last year. Not bad putting up 3 TDs (and no interceptions with over 200 yards) at least once against all three of your division opponents.However here are his numbers in their other division games:pit @ cin 157-1-1 cle @ cin 175-0-1 cin @ bal 214-1-2 (with 3 fumbles for good measure) So who knows what to expect.

Some guys are pretty high on Carson Palmer. Others are a bit low. I considered myself in the middle, until well, this:

SEP. 12 at New York Jets, 1:00 pm

SEP. 19 Miami, 8:30 pm

SEP. 26 Baltimore, 1:00 pm

OCT. 03 at Pittsburgh, 1:00 pm

OCT. 10 BYE WEEK

OCT. 17 at Cleveland, 1:00 pm

OCT. 25 Denver, 9:00 pm

OCT. 31 at Tennessee, 1:00 pm

NOV. 07 Dallas, 1:00 pm

NOV. 14 at Washington, 4:05 pm

NOV. 21 Pittsburgh, 1:00 pm

NOV. 28 Cleveland, 1:00 pm

DEC. 05 at Baltimore, 1:00 pm

DEC. 12 at New England, 1:00 pm

DEC. 19 Buffalo, 1:00 pm

DEC. 26 New York Giants, 1:00 pm

JAN. 02 at Philadelphia, 1:00 pm
Palmer looks like a great QBBC candidate. Just draft P. Manning or Culpepper in a mid-late round to start every game but two. Then pick Palmer in the final round to cover the bye week and for week 16 at home against the Giants for your fantasy championship! Actually, you may want to get Palmer in the next to last round, and then Kitna in the last round, since he'll probably be the starter in week 16.

Chase, Thanks again for shedding some light on the situation. There is a lot more to this though, than just "he has a hard schedule, he will do poorly." 1) Kitna had an EXTREMELY difficult schedule last year, with a less complete team, and still did well. He had the 10th most points/per/game, and had the LOWEST standard deviation of points scored of ALL Qb's who played all 16 games = he scored similarly all season long, regardless of who he played.2) Coach says Palmer is better than Kitna.3) While your analysis of how SOME (Doug Johnson, Brad Johnson, and Plummer) did against bad/poor/good D's shows one example. There are PLENTY of examples of qb's that do just as good against poor defenses, as they do against good defenses. Unfortunately I'm on the road and don't have my data with me, but there are QB's who (using post-hoc SOS data = perfectly accurate, vs. predicted SOS) if you played only against poor defenses, and didn't play against good defenses, you would be S.O.O.L. When I return, I'll look up Kitna's numbers from last year, to see (game by game) how he did vs. predicted; which should shed some more light on this.4) How accurate have your picks regarding S.O.S. prior to the season been? = have you been able to predict schedule strength accurately?Palmer is certainly a risk/reward pick; but much more information is necessary before we downgrade him based on S.O.S. data pre-season.

Chase,Is your article going to consider leagues where there are 2 Starting QB's I think this would be very beneficial to many out there including myself

Chase Stuart is a well respected poster here and it is clear that he has done a ton of work on his SOS.I firmly believe that SOS is overrated. Therefore, I believe that we should bump this at the end of the year. Since Chase has probably done as good a job as anyone on SOS and because Palmer has far and away the toughest QB schedule according to him(its not even close!), then this should make for a good test regarding the importance of SOS. I'm willing to bet that at the end of the year, this schedule doesn't look that tough at all vs the pass.
I'm really sure that Chase did this last year, so maybe he can give us the results from then. Either way it's something of value to consider if you can't decide between two QB's. Even if SoS is overrated I'd still rather have the guy w/ the best schedule as opposed to Palmer if both are in similiar situation.

SEP. 12 at New York Jets, 1:00 pm - not really that good a D

SEP. 19 Miami, 8:30 pm - terrible offseason could be trouble

OCT. 03 at Pittsburgh, 1:00 pm - middle of the road last year, they lost DeWayne Washington

OCT. 10 BYE WEEK

OCT. 17 at Cleveland, 1:00 pm- Their Pass D is only good because their run D was terrible. Could change overnight.

OCT. 31 at Tennessee, 1:00 pm - 30th on pass D last year

NOV. 14 at Washington, 4:05 pm - no longer have Bailey

NOV. 21 Pittsburgh, 1:00 pm- middle of the road last year, they lost DeWayne Washington

NOV. 28 Cleveland, 1:00 pm- Their Pass D is only good because their run D was terrible. Could change overnight.

DEC. 19 Buffalo, 1:00 pm- replacing Winfield with Vincent is probably not an upgrade (except in team INTs)

DEC. 26 New York Giants, 1:00 pm - terrible pass D

2) Coach says Palmer is better than Kitna.
I keep hearing this. Is there a link to an interview or article where he states this? Or are we assuming it because he's named him the starter?I have no problem believing that Lewis may still believe that Kitna gives him the best chance to win now.

OCT. 03 at Pittsburgh, 1:00 pm - middle of the road last year, they lost DeWayne Washington

OCT. 10 BYE WEEK

OCT. 17 at Cleveland, 1:00 pm- Their Pass D is only good because their run D was terrible. Could change overnight.

NOV. 21 Pittsburgh, 1:00 pm- middle of the road last year, they lost DeWayne Washington

NOV. 28 Cleveland, 1:00 pm- Their Pass D is only good because their run D was terrible. Could change overnight.

DEC. 19 Buffalo, 1:00 pm- replacing Winfield with Vincent is probably not an upgrade (except in team INTs)

Hey BF...there's quite a few ways to twist the stats, you know that.But to say Tennessee was 30th in pass D last year (because of a great run D) then disregard the Jets and Browns being very tough against the pass last year (because of a bad run D) doesn't look consistent to me.

For the record, the Jets D ranked 23rd (and the Titans D was 20th) in my system.

Some guys are pretty high on Carson Palmer. Others are a bit low. I considered myself in the middle, until well, this:

OCT. 10 BYE WEEK

Palmer looks like a great QBBC candidate. Just draft P. Manning or Culpepper in a mid-late round to start every game but two. Then pick Palmer in the final round to cover the bye week and for week 16 at home against the Giants for your fantasy championship! Actually, you may want to get Palmer in the next to last round, and then Kitna in the last round, since he'll probably be the starter in week 16.
Drafting the top QB in FFL and starting a guy twice all year doesn't look like a QBBC scenario to me. More of a spot starter.That was my original point. I just don't see how you can justify Palmer as a QBBC candidate. We can debate all day whether Palmer should rank 14th or 24th, but in most leagues it doesn't matter--if you just start one QB. If you go with a stud QB, you're never starting him (except on a bye or injury). My point is, most of the other guys in his area you can use in a QBBC scenario--Palmer looks MUCH less attractive to me there.

Chase, Thanks again for shedding some light on the situation. There is a lot more to this though, than just "he has a hard schedule, he will do poorly." 1) Kitna had an EXTREMELY difficult schedule last year, with a less complete team, and still did well. He had the 10th most points/per/game, and had the LOWEST standard deviation of points scored of ALL Qb's who played all 16 games = he scored similarly all season long, regardless of who he played.2) Coach says Palmer is better than Kitna.3) While your analysis of how SOME (Doug Johnson, Brad Johnson, and Plummer) did against bad/poor/good D's shows one example. There are PLENTY of examples of qb's that do just as good against poor defenses, as they do against good defenses. Unfortunately I'm on the road and don't have my data with me, but there are QB's who (using post-hoc SOS data = perfectly accurate, vs. predicted SOS) if you played only against poor defenses, and didn't play against good defenses, you would be S.O.O.L. When I return, I'll look up Kitna's numbers from last year, to see (game by game) how he did vs. predicted; which should shed some more light on this.4) How accurate have your picks regarding S.O.S. prior to the season been? = have you been able to predict schedule strength accurately?Palmer is certainly a risk/reward pick; but much more information is necessary before we downgrade him based on S.O.S. data pre-season.
Hey pigskin...I don't think I did a good job of explaining what I meant.By showing those numbers (FP/G and rank), something is very obvious:ON AVERAGE, QBs score best against bad Ds, and worst against good Ds. That's an irrefutable fact. What I'd like is someone to show me how predicting Ds HAS to be less accurate than predicting QBs (or offenses or whatever).Here's my question:Why upgrade someone based on the level of talent in his offense (three good WRs, stud RB, great OL) but then not downgrade him based on the defenses he plays? Both have NOTHING to do with him, yet we're only using one of them to make a ranking.I expect most people will argue that the reason is supporting casts are easier to predict. I'm not saying that's right or wrong (I'm really not positive either way). I'd love to hear some proof or even reasons behind this.

OCT. 10 BYE WEEK

Hey BF...there's quite a few ways to twist the stats, you know that.But to say Tennessee was 30th in pass D last year (because of a great run D) then disregard the Jets and Browns being very tough against the pass last year (because of a bad run D) doesn't look consistent to me.

For the record, the Jets D ranked 23rd (and the Titans D was 20th) in my system.
Sorry Chase that wasn't my intention at all. I had originally typed up some wrapper around that but it doesn't look like I actually posted it. My point isn't that the SOS is easy. My points is that, with a few exceptions, almost any of these Ds could be good matchups by the time the season rolls around.

Addressing this specific point, though, there is no inconsistency. You're just not looking at the offense's role in the defense's production.

Tennessee was weak agasint the pass last year for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was McNair's co-MVP season forcing opposing teams to try to score. The Jets and Browns aren't really that good on defense, but they weren't that good on offense, either. If either one of them can put an offense on the field, they may see a lot worse passing numbers too.

Let me turn it around on you. I'm not willing to predict that Tennessee, one of the worst passing Ds last year, is a bad matchup, and ALSO predict that the Browns will be a bad matchup because you believe they will suck so much against the run again that teams will run all over them again and they'll get a better passing rating than they deserve again.

Fair enough BF.My system takes into account YPA allowed and QB rating allowed. I think it does a good job for factoring in these things. The Jets ranked 24th and 26th in those categories IIRC.Still, I want to know why it's easier to predict (or more reliable) then 10 players playing with you than the 11 players playing against you.

Hey pigskin...I don't think I did a good job of explaining what I meant.By showing those numbers (FP/G and rank), something is very obvious:ON AVERAGE, QBs score best against bad Ds, and worst against good Ds. That's an irrefutable fact. What I'd like is someone to show me how predicting Ds HAS to be less accurate than predicting QBs (or offenses or whatever).Here's my question:Why upgrade someone based on the level of talent in his offense (three good WRs, stud RB, great OL) but then not downgrade him based on the defenses he plays? Both have NOTHING to do with him, yet we're only using one of them to make a ranking.I expect most people will argue that the reason is supporting casts are easier to predict. I'm not saying that's right or wrong (I'm really not positive either way). I'd love to hear some proof or even reasons behind this.
I am CERTAINLY not upgrading Palmer. I think that his situation is amazingly similar to the one that Kitna had last year: similar cast, similar schedule. Yet, Kitna was very consistent, and a viable QB1 last year. I would not upgrade Palmer any more than that = he should have a "Kitna-esque" year = a poor QB1, great QB2. Can you share your defensive rankings prior to last season, so we can see how well you fared in predicting them? I did see that you had Oakland's offense predicted to be the best offense in your DBBC article last year. No fault of yours, just revealing as to how hard it is to predict offense and defense success prior to a season (I'd argue it is much more difficult to predict defense success).

Fair enough BF.My system takes into account YPA allowed and QB rating allowed. I think it does a good job for factoring in these things. The Jets ranked 24th and 26th in those categories IIRC.Still, I want to know why it's easier to predict (or more reliable) then 10 players playing with you than the 11 players playing against you.
Chase, you hold the answer to this. Compare how well you predicted offense rank last year to how well you predicted defense rank. The correlations should tell the tale!

Chase, Thanks again for shedding some light on the situation.  There is a lot more to this though, than just "he has a hard schedule, he will do poorly."  1) Kitna had an EXTREMELY difficult schedule last year, with a less complete team, and still did well.  He had the 10th most points/per/game, and had the LOWEST standard deviation of points scored of ALL Qb's who played all 16 games = he scored similarly all season long, regardless of who he played.2) Coach says Palmer is better than Kitna.3) While your analysis of how SOME (Doug Johnson, Brad Johnson, and Plummer) did against bad/poor/good D's shows one example.  There are PLENTY of examples of qb's that do just as good against poor defenses, as they do against good defenses.  Unfortunately I'm on the road and don't have my data with me, but there are QB's who (using post-hoc SOS data = perfectly accurate, vs. predicted SOS) if you played only against poor defenses, and didn't play against good defenses, you would be S.O.O.L.  When I return, I'll look up Kitna's numbers from last year, to see (game by game) how he did vs. predicted; which should shed some more light on this.4) How accurate have your picks regarding S.O.S. prior to the season been?  = have you been able to predict schedule strength accurately?Palmer is certainly a risk/reward pick; but much more information is necessary before we downgrade him based on S.O.S. data pre-season.
I am CERTAINLY not upgrading Palmer. I think that his situation is amazingly similar to the one that Kitna had last year: similar cast, similar schedule. Yet, Kitna was very consistent, and a viable QB1 last year. I would not upgrade Palmer any more than that = he should have a "Kitna-esque" year = a poor QB1, great QB2. Can you share your defensive rankings prior to last season, so we can see how well you fared in predicting them? I did see that you had Oakland's offense predicted to be the best offense in your DBBC article last year. No fault of yours, just revealing as to how hard it is to predict offense and defense success prior to a season (I'd argue it is much more difficult to predict defense success).
Unfortunately, I've yet to do this before. I will say that the metrics I used tend to predict defensive success fairly well the following year.The Raiders point is a good one. Just because we can't predict QBs accurately, doesn't mean we don't spend hours deciding between Rich Gannon and Donovan McNabb. And look how wrong we could have been.If I can ever get away from this thread, I can finish my QBBC article. :)

Still, I want to know why it's easier to predict (or more reliable) then 10 players playing with you than the 11 players playing against you.
Because we study it more. How many of the threads on the first page of the shark pool have to do with defenses?If people paid as much attention to team defenses as we did to offenses, we'd be a lot better at it. Unfortunately, most fantasy football players don't study defenses, and thumb rules like "year n scoring is an invalid predictor of year n+1 scoring" miss the boat by a mile because they ignore things like changes in defensive talent and changes in offensive schedule. Even IDPers look at defensive players as individual entities instead of defensive teams as a whole.

2) Coach says Palmer is better than Kitna.
I keep hearing this. Is there a link to an interview or article where he states this? Or are we assuming it because he's named him the starter?I have no problem believing that Lewis may still believe that Kitna gives him the best chance to win now.
``He's got the most skill and ability of anybody we've got in this building,'' Lewis said.
LinkAlso: a poll on the Bengals web site reveals that 72% of Bengal fans believe starting Palmer is the right move:

poll

****THREAD BUMP FROM JULY 2004****

After reading the other Carson Palmer thread, I remembered this good discussion from last year about his strength of schedule. I remembered that I wanted to bump this after the season, so I'll give a little post-season analysis here.

OCT. 10 BYE WEEK

I'm working on my QBBC article, and I've assigned point values to all the defenses. Suffice it to say, the Bengals schedule finished not just last--not even dead last--but below the surface dead last. They scored "165" points; the next lowest team scored "204" points; the NFL average is "264" points. Obviously, just looking at this schedule shows it to be a killer. I count three "easy" games all year: The Titans, the Jets and the Giants. And to be fair, the Jets actually were pretty good against the pass last year.

When you draft someone like Palmer, he's NOT going to be your QB1. You're drafting him either as a backup, or as part of a committee. Suffice it to say, I don't exactly see too many times where I'll be itching to start Carson Palmer if I have a QBBC.

Thoughts on that schedule?

And yes, I know many think schedule is overrated--but this is by far the hardest schedule (according to my points system--which will be unveiled in the QBBC article) of any QB.
I firmly believe that SOS is overrated. Therefore, I believe that we should bump this at the end of the year.

I'm willing to bet that at the end of the year, this schedule doesn't look that tough at all vs the pass.
SEP. 12 at New York Jets, 1:00 pm 12 SEP. 19 Miami, 8:30 pm 4

SEP. 26 Baltimore, 1:00 pm 5

OCT. 03 at Pittsburgh, 1:00 pm 1

OCT. 10 BYE WEEK

OCT. 17 at Cleveland, 1:00 pm 7

OCT. 25 Denver, 9:00 pm 10

OCT. 31 at Tennessee, 1:00 pm 27

NOV. 07 Dallas, 1:00 pm 26

NOV. 14 at Washington, 4:05 pm 3

NOV. 21 Pittsburgh, 1:00 pm 1

NOV. 28 Cleveland, 1:00 pm 7

DEC. 05 at Baltimore, 1:00 pm 5

DEC. 12 at New England, 1:00 pm 13

DEC. 19 Buffalo, 1:00 pm 2

DEC. 26 New York Giants, 1:00 pm 22

JAN. 02 at Philadelphia, 1:00 pm 9

The rankings (in bold) show where each team ranked in QB Fantasy Points Allowed (thanks Clayton Gray). That's an averaged of the 9.56th toughest defense each week. I predicted the defense would have a pre-season prediction of 165 points, or the 10.31st hardest schedule each week. They ended up with 156 points :yes:

Obviously, this was a very hard schedule. However, he'll still be facing Pittsburgh (1), Baltimore (5) and Cleveland (7) six times this year. I haven't analyzed the rest of his schedule yet, but it must be easier as it won't include the AFC East.

In final, Palmer ended up ranking 20th. He had an 18/18 TD/INT ratio, and averaged 6.7 YPA. I'd say in general, he did about how I'd expect. I don't want to call it "unfair", but Palmer's game against the Browns probably deserves some sort of asterisk. Cleveland had clearly given up, and it was the first game for interim coach Terry Robiski. Palmer threw 22/29, 251 yards and 4 TDs that day. Despite this, Cleveland--which was the posterchild for my SOS being all sorts of out of whack--still ranked 5th in passing yards allowed and 5th in passing touchdowns allowed.

Well, my bear case for a lot of these Ds turned out to be wrong. I was way off on Pittsburgh. I expected Miami to suck, but their pass D ended up being the best statistically in the league because their run D was so bad. And Cleveland continued to have the same thing happen (although as it turns out, Palmer blew up against them)

SEP. 12 at New York Jets, 1:00 pm - not really that good a D Ended up being middle of the road

SEP. 19 Miami, 8:30 pm - terrible offseason could be trouble I was right, they were terrible - on run D. That's why they were the #1 pass D

OCT. 03 at Pittsburgh, 1:00 pm - middle of the road last year, they lost DeWayne Washington I didn't see this coming at all

OCT. 10 BYE WEEK

OCT. 17 at Cleveland, 1:00 pm- Their Pass D is only good because their run D was terrible. Could change overnight. It didn't

OCT. 31 at Tennessee, 1:00 pm - 30th on pass D last year And bad again

NOV. 14 at Washington, 4:05 pm - no longer have Bailey Ended up ranked 7th anyway

NOV. 28 Cleveland, 1:00 pm- Their Pass D is only good because their run D was terrible. Could change overnight. It didn't, but Palmer blew up against them

DEC. 12 at New England, 1:00 pm Turned out to be 19th ranked pass D, Palmer had a huge game

DEC. 26 New York Giants, 1:00 pm - terrible pass D they were top 10 this year

JAN. 02 at Philadelphia, 1:00 pm Turned out to be 12th ranked, good but not great
It turns out the schedule was harder than I thought, but a lot of the teams that I thought could be bad were good, and a few of the teams that I thought were going to be very good (Philly, New England) were middle of the pack. Now let's look at what turned out to be the more accurate predictor of his success - how late it was in the season, when he finally put it together.

Week 11 PIT 165/2/1

Week 12 CLE 251/4/3

Week 13 @BAL 382/3/1

Week 14 @NE 202/2/1

You would never have expected him to blow up against that schedule, yet he averaged 250 yards, 2.75 TDs and 1.5 INTs against them.

So the real postmortem we should be doing on last season's projections was that he was fairly likely to struggle in his first year (which is why he was drafted late in most redrafts), that he was likely to come on in the second half as he improved (it turns out he did, even against quality defenses), and that Rudi/Perry would benefit from the soft run Ds on the schedule and the fact that they were protecting their young QB early on.

I wonder if this means you should look at Rudi's high number of carries then as a bit of an abberration, since Palmer won't need the protection next year. On the other hand, maybe we should upgrade this offense in general, since their O line returns intact and their schedule will almost certainly be easier than last year's.

Interesting bump, Chase, and a good thread.

In final, Palmer ended up ranking 20th. He had an 18/18 TD/INT ratio, and averaged 6.7 YPA. I'd say in general, he did about how I'd expect.
To be fair, Palmer ended up with 18 TDs in 13 games, so you have to figure he'd be better than 20th in end of season numbers had he finished out the season.
I don't want to call it "unfair", but Palmer's game against the Browns probably deserves some sort of asterisk. Cleveland had clearly given up, and it was the first game for interim coach Terry Robiski. Palmer threw 22/29, 251 yards and 4 TDs that day.
Maybe Cleveland had given up, but I think we saw Palmer come into his own over the last four games. Certainly the Cleveland game was his best of the bunch, but his numbers against New England, Baltimore and Pittsburgh were all better than his averages, too.

In final, Palmer ended up ranking 20th. He had an 18/18 TD/INT ratio, and averaged 6.7 YPA. I'd say in general, he did about how I'd expect.
To be fair, Palmer ended up with 18 TDs in 13 games, so you have to figure he'd be better than 20th in end of season numbers had he finished out the season.
I don't want to call it "unfair", but Palmer's game against the Browns probably deserves some sort of asterisk. Cleveland had clearly given up, and it was the first game for interim coach Terry Robiski. Palmer threw 22/29, 251 yards and 4 TDs that day.
Maybe Cleveland had given up, but I think we saw Palmer come into his own over the last four games. Certainly the Cleveland game was his best of the bunch, but his numbers against New England, Baltimore and Pittsburgh were all better than his averages, too.
Like I said before, I don't want to throw that game away, but to me that Cleveland game wasn't really indicative of much. As for the other three...I'm really not sure. I suppose I could rationalize those games away. For example:

Pittsburgh: Cincinnati only scored 14 points, and Palmer only had 165 yards. Sure throwing two TDs was a nice touch, but not a great game for Palmer.

Baltimore: Cincinnati had just three points through three quarters. Did Baltimore "give up" and let Palmer eat away against prevent defenses? I remember watching the end of this one at the sports bar once the Jets-Texans game ended, and that last drive by Palmer was fantastic. His three completions of 32, 11 and 22 yards were right on the money. Palmer did throw for 200/3 in the fourth quarter, but IIRC I labeled this game as the beginning of the end for the Ravens defense.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...1&st=&p=entry

(check this post)

New England: This was during the stretch where the NE D was really feeling the heat of having no depth at CB. Jon Kitna was 9/13, 126 and threw a TD in this one. The next week a similar defensive collapse in the second half enabled AJ Feeley wo beat them.

Gotta run, will post some Pro-Palmer stuff when I get back.

I've forever stated that I'm not a huge fan of looking into second halves for players. Additionally, it's never been proven that young players (this it directly to you, my Carson Palmer and Kevin Jones fans) that young players with great second halves tend to have great follow up seasons. That being said...I was personally impressed when I saw Palmer opening day. I like the weapons he has a ton, but I'll still be a bit worried about that schedule. He doesn't play in a dome, and Cincinnati in the winter can be rough. But I DO think Palmer has the talent and the skill set. His "rookie" numbers, all things considered, were pretty darn good.

I've forever stated that I'm not a huge fan of looking into second halves for players.
Not to sidetrack here, but I had Walker, Stokely and Gates as undervalued last year...mostly based on their second halves. I think second half information can be very telling if used appropriately.

I've forever stated that I'm not a huge fan of looking into second halves for players.
Not to sidetrack here, but I had Walker, Stokely and Gates as undervalued last year...mostly based on their second halves. I think second half information can be very telling if used appropriately.
Ok, I'll give. How do you use it appropriately?

Ok, I'll give. How do you use it appropriately?
Well, there is a lot to that. And it is really situation specific. So I guess I'll go through each of the situations.Gates' 2nd half in '03 wasn't just a case of inflated stats. If you watched Gates in those games it was obvious he had sick talent. Combine that with the depleted WR corps in the '04 preseason and it was obvious you had a "talent + opportunity" type of situation. Had Gates not thrown up those stats in the second half of '03 not many would have noticed him. As it was, Gates was around the consensusFBG and messageboard #8 pick or so, but he was my #4-link to my 2004 player rankings in signature.

Javon Walker's situation wasn't too different than Gates. If you watched him play it was obvious he had sick talent, further it was obvious at the end of '03 that Favre had gained trust in him...the increased targets and stats were an obvious indicator of that. Again my Javon Walker ranking was higher than the FBG Consensus/MB and I pointed it out in my FBG WR Rankings Critique.

Here is an excerpt from that link I wrote regarding the FBG #27ranking...

2) Javon Walker #27 - The last five weeks of the season Javon was top 10 in WR scoring. Great passing offense...check, solid QB...double check, first round talent...check and limited competition...check. Javon has a great chance to not only be top 20 this year, but top 10  Driver and Ferguson are #2 WRs...Walker is the only guy with #1 talent and it began to show in the end of last season. It is also worth mentioning that the Packers will have a tougher schedule and should be passing the ball a little more this year.

Expert Rankings Observations:

Nice Job: Mark Wimer...15 is high but it is obvious we both see the value here.

Stretching: Marc Levin...not in the top 40 
Stokely's second half in '03 contained less data, but given that Stokely wasn't on anybody's radar in '05, all I had to do was bump him 10 spots and I was still higher on him than 99% of the fantasy world. I got him for 1 buck in FBG survivor II...with the esteemed competition of Member #1 and Ken Maxwell. I took him in several other leagues on the cheap as well. So in summary, I believe second half stats can be a terrific indicator of breakout candidates. I may not have noticed all three of these guys had it not been for their second half stats. In the case of all three I think it showed an increased trust by OC/QB in those players.

P.S. the only reason why I provided links/excerpts was to show there was conviction behind my original post.

Lucky you...I had a terrible fantasy year, since I drafted:

Player Games 1-8 Rank Games 9-16 Rank 2004 RankMatt Hasselbeck 7 3 13Kevan Barlow 35 11 27Marshall Faulk 62 7 29David Boston 30 12 lolJustin McCareins 41 14 42Bobby Engram 66 23 63Boo Williams 35 3 24 Of course, once Boston went down I picked up Az-Zahir Hakim. He ranked 100th in the first eight games of 2003, but 26th in the last eight! Unforunately, he was just 57th last year.

Sure, there are many examples of players that had great second halves, that went on to have great follow up seasons. The problem is, about half of them do the exact opposite. I've never seen anyone prove that second half stats are particularly useful, but I have seen it written that second half stats AREN'T particularly useful.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/articles/fhsh.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/arti...todMasoDe00.htm

Player          Games 1-8 Rank Games 9-16 Rank  2004 RankMatt Hasselbeck          7              3          13Kevan Barlow            35             11          27Marshall Faulk          62              7          29David Boston            30             12          lolJustin McCareins        41             14          42Bobby Engram            66             23          63Boo Williams            35              3          24 Of course, once Boston went down I picked up Az-Zahir Hakim. He ranked 100th in the first eight games of 2003, but 26th in the last eight! Unforunately, he was just 57th last year.

Sure, there are many examples of players that had great second halves, that went on to have great follow up seasons. The problem is, about half of them do the exact opposite. I've never seen anyone prove that second half stats are particularly useful, but I have seen it written that second half stats AREN'T particularly useful.

Second half stats can be useful, which is what I empasizing in my previous post. I am not saying that they are always useful...which is what you may be interpreting from my post.Is that accurate?

Player Games 1-8 Rank Games 9-16 Rank 2004 RankMatt Hasselbeck 7 3 13Kevan Barlow 35 11 27Marshall Faulk 62 7 29David Boston 30 12 lolJustin McCareins 41 14 42Bobby Engram 66 23 63Boo Williams 35 3 24 Of course, once Boston went down I picked up Az-Zahir Hakim. He ranked 100th in the first eight games of 2003, but 26th in the last eight! Unforunately, he was just 57th last year.

Second half stats can be useful, which is what I empasizing in my previous post. I am not saying that they are always useful...which is what you may be interpreting from my post.Is that accurate?
How do you know when to use them and when not to use them?

Player          Games 1-8 Rank Games 9-16 Rank  2004 RankMatt Hasselbeck          7              3          13Kevan Barlow            35             11          27Marshall Faulk          62              7          29David Boston            30             12          lolJustin McCareins        41             14          42Bobby Engram            66             23          63Boo Williams            35              3          24 Of course, once Boston went down I picked up Az-Zahir Hakim. He ranked 100th in the first eight games of 2003, but 26th in the last eight! Unforunately, he was just 57th last year.

Both of you make good points. But in reality, there is no sure fire lock making projections. LHUCKS makes a good point in saying that this is one way to find value. True they don't always pan out. Often injuries to that player or to other players on their team effect the outcome. But just the same I find this method effective in identifying value and players that demonstrated improved play as the year went on or their opportunties were presented to them.As for Palmer, very few first year QB's have performed as effectively as he has. The implication is that he could be huge in '05. The onlt reason to have any reservation about him would be the Balt/Pitt games as their D's are very good. But Palmer did demonstrate an ability to play well against them as well. With all that's going for him there is absolutely no reason not to think he could be a top 5 QB next year. I think he will be at least 7 next year unless CJ or the Oline is dealing with numerous injuries.

Like I said before, I don't want to throw that game away, but to me that Cleveland game wasn't really indicative of much. As for the other three...I'm really not sure. I suppose I could rationalize those games away. For example:

Pittsburgh: Cincinnati only scored 14 points, and Palmer only had 165 yards. Sure throwing two TDs was a nice touch, but not a great game for Palmer.

Baltimore: Cincinnati had just three points through three quarters. Did Baltimore "give up" and let Palmer eat away against prevent defenses? I remember watching the end of this one at the sports bar once the Jets-Texans game ended, and that last drive by Palmer was fantastic. His three completions of 32, 11 and 22 yards were right on the money. Palmer did throw for 200/3 in the fourth quarter, but IIRC I labeled this game as the beginning of the end for the Ravens defense.

(check this post)

New England: This was during the stretch where the NE D was really feeling the heat of having no depth at CB. Jon Kitna was 9/13, 126 and threw a TD in this one. The next week a similar defensive collapse in the second half enabled AJ Feeley wo beat them.

Two TDs in the Pittsburgh game was as good as he'd done all year. You're right, it wasn't a huge game in and of itself, but it may have signalled the start of something bigger. The more I think about it, the Cleveland game showed that Cleveland was just bad on defense. When they got into a shootout against the almost-as-bad Cinci D, there was lots of passing. But generally, teams just ran on Cleveland and beat them the more conservative way. The thing is, you have to give credit to Cleveland for having a top 5 pass defense, because over the course of 16 games, there were very few QBs who had good games against them.

(Maybe the fact that Palmer had a good game isn't information about his skill as a QB, but the fact that his defense allowed him to get into that kind of shootout. But that's a topic for another thread).

Anyways, if we're giving credit to Cleveland for having the #5 pass defense because people run on them instead (and we have to), we have to give credit to Palmer for getting garbage time points vs. Baltimore. It's not like other QBs didn't try to get garbage point againt Baltimore - the Ravens were a good statistical D because they didn't let many teams do that - or like Palmer won't have the opportunity to score in garbage time again next year.

As for the New England game, you can't explain away the Bengals performance becaue the Pats were hurt and ignore that the Cinco O line was hurt. Besides, the Pats had been feeling the heat of having no depth at CB for quite some time. No team all year scored on the Pats like Cinci did that week.

Palmer definitely had his best stretch at the end of the season. I think the points you make about his good games are interesting, but they could go either way. I don't know how much of it was him maturing as a QB and how much was the situation around him.

Good discussion Chase. You've been on a roll recently.

(check this post)

Two TDs in the Pittsburgh game was as good as he'd done all year. You're right, it wasn't a huge game in and of itself, but it may have signalled the start of something bigger. The more I think about it, the Cleveland game showed that Cleveland was just bad on defense. When they got into a shootout against the almost-as-bad Cinci D, there was lots of passing. But generally, teams just ran on Cleveland and beat them the more conservative way. The thing is, you have to give credit to Cleveland for having a top 5 pass defense, because over the course of 16 games, there were very few QBs who had good games against them.

(Maybe the fact that Palmer had a good game isn't information about his skill as a QB, but the fact that his defense allowed him to get into that kind of shootout. But that's a topic for another thread).

Anyways, if we're giving credit to Cleveland for having the #5 pass defense because people run on them instead (and we have to), we have to give credit to Palmer for getting garbage time points vs. Baltimore. It's not like other QBs didn't try to get garbage point againt Baltimore - the Ravens were a good statistical D because they didn't let many teams do that - or like Palmer won't have the opportunity to score in garbage time again next year.

As for the New England game, you can't explain away the Bengals performance becaue the Pats were hurt and ignore that the Cinco O line was hurt. Besides, the Pats had been feeling the heat of having no depth at CB for quite some time. No team all year scored on the Pats like Cinci did that week.

Palmer definitely had his best stretch at the end of the season. I think the points you make about his good games are interesting, but they could go either way. I don't know how much of it was him maturing as a QB and how much was the situation around him.

As have you my friend. Between you and Maxwell, I'm in danger of losing my Jets badge. I agree with you on Palmer, I was mostly playing devil's adcovate. But as I posted above, I'm not in the business of throwing out the first half if a player's second half was good. Palmer's second half was impressive, especially considering his opponents and his age. I'm really excited to work on my projections soon, and to see where he ends up. I will say this--he's got some of the best WRs in the league, and that's very good. However, don't fall into the "Tommy Maddox" trap.

Maddox in 2002 threw 2836/20 in 12 games. However he missed three quarters of one, and probably half of another. So in a little over ten games, he was extremely impressive. Having Burress (1325/7) and Hines Ward (1329/12) gave him two top ten WRs. Maddox himself ranked 22nd overall, 20th in FP/G. Everyone expected him to be huge in 2003, but they forgot two things: Pitt RBs and TEs don't catch the ball.

Palmer's in a scarily similar situation. His RBs had just 341 yards, and his TEs just 334 yards. That's UGLY. The top five passing yardage leaders were Culpepper, Green, Manning, Plummer and Favre.

The Vikings RBs/TEs had 1,957 yards.

The Chiefs RBs/TEs had 2,205.

The Colts -- 1,128.

The Broncos -- 1,340.

The Packers - 1,335.

That means the top five QBs (by passing yards) threw 1,593 yards to their RBs/TEs, while Palmer had just 675. And since Palmer's going to need great passing stats to be a great fantasy player, I think he could really use a receiving TE and/or a third down back with great hands.

(check this post)

As have you my friend. Between you and Maxwell, I'm in danger of losing my Jets badge. I agree with you on Palmer, I was mostly playing devil's adcovate. But as I posted above, I'm not in the business of throwing out the first half if a player's second half was good. Palmer's second half was impressive, especially considering his opponents and his age. I'm really excited to work on my projections soon, and to see where he ends up. I will say this--he's got some of the best WRs in the league, and that's very good. However, don't fall into the "Tommy Maddox" trap.

Maddox in 2002 threw 2836/20 in 12 games. However he missed three quarters of one, and probably half of another. So in a little over ten games, he was extremely impressive. Having Burress (1325/7) and Hines Ward (1329/12) gave him two top ten WRs. Maddox himself ranked 22nd overall, 20th in FP/G. Everyone expected him to be huge in 2003, but they forgot two things: Pitt RBs and TEs don't catch the ball.

Palmer's in a scarily similar situation. His RBs had just 341 yards, and his TEs just 334 yards. That's UGLY. The top five passing yardage leaders were Culpepper, Green, Manning, Plummer and Favre.

The Colts -- 1,128.

The Broncos -- 1,340.

The Packers - 1,335.

That means the top five QBs (by passing yards) threw 1,593 yards to their RBs/TEs, while Palmer had just 675. And since Palmer's going to need great passing stats to be a great fantasy player, I think he could really use a receiving TE and/or a third down back with great hands.
This is good stuff and I would like to comment on the Maddox analagy. There was a unique situation with Pitts. People should of seen this coming.First, we all know Pitts is a running team. When Maddox threw for those yards that year Pitts D (usually a rock) was off and teams were passing and scoring on them like we're not used to seeing. That forced Pitts to throw the ball to keep up. Additonally, the Oline wasn't up to snuff so they weren't as effective running either.

The next year when their D got straightened out the passing game came back to norm along with the run game. Too many people got caught up in Maddoz hypre for the wrong reasons.

Cinny on the other hand has always been a more balanced run/pass team. Additionally, they usually have a poor D and they are passing late in the game.

(check this post)

The Colts -- 1,128.

The Broncos -- 1,340.

The Packers - 1,335.

This is good stuff and I would like to comment on the Maddox analagy. There was a unique situation with Pitts. People should of seen this coming.First, we all know Pitts is a running team. When Maddox threw for those yards that year Pitts D (usually a rock) was off and teams were passing and scoring on them like we're not used to seeing. That forced Pitts to throw the ball to keep up. Additonally, the Oline wasn't up to snuff so they weren't as effective running either.

The next year when their D got straightened out the passing game came back to norm along with the run game. Too many people got caught up in Maddoz hypre for the wrong reasons.

Cinny on the other hand has always been a more balanced run/pass team. Additionally, they usually have a poor D and they are passing late in the game.
Agreed. However, even if the Pitt D remained poor I'm not sure how high Maddox' ceiling truly is. Without production from either your RBs or TEs, and without the ability to produce fantasy points yourself (i.e., run), I think Palmer's fantasy ceiling is fairly limited.

(check this post)

The Colts -- 1,128.

The Broncos -- 1,340.

The Packers - 1,335.

Agreed. However, even if the Pitt D remained poor I'm not sure how high Maddox' ceiling truly is. Without production from either your RBs or TEs, and without the ability to produce fantasy points yourself (i.e., run), I think Palmer's fantasy ceiling is fairly limited.
I'm not so sure. Look at KC. Very little impact from the recievers and the RB's play only a small role in the passing game yet Green is usually around 4000 yards and 22-24 TD's.As for Pitts, they have one of the best RB's that can catch in Staley. For some reason they chose not to use him last year in the passing game.

As for the Maddox comment itself, I agree he was likely tapped out already.

I'm not so sure. Look at KC. Very little impact from the recievers and the RB's play only a small role in the passing game yet Green is usually around 4000 yards and 22-24 TD's.

As for Pitts, they have one of the best RB's that can catch in Staley. For some reason they chose not to use him last year in the passing game.

As for the Maddox comment itself, I agree he was likely tapped out already.
The RBs have avearged 897 receiving yards each of the past four years. I'd say that's fairly significant. That's 556 more yards than Palmer threw to his RBs. If you added 556 yards to Palmer's total last year, he'd move from ranking 20th to ranking 16th.

How do you know when to use them and when not to use them?
You should always consider 2nd half stats but you should temper them based on the situation (did the player learn the system/get injured in the 1st half and get more playing time in the 2nd half) and strength of competition (McGahee/K. Jones/DD all had great 2nd halves and all benefitted greatly by whipping on bad defenses). I think strength of competition is the biggest consideration in evaluating 2nd half stats. While I think DD, McGahee and KJ are all good rb's I think their 2nd half stats vs. some of the worst defenses will result in them being drafted higher than they probably should (IMO).

Users who are viewing this thread