What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers 2008 (2 Viewers)

Hmm, so the Steelers consider it a "Personal Matter". It's interesting when the shoe is on the other foot in these scenarios. Thought they would have cut the guy already. 'Til then, congrats on taking an early lead in the AFC North TurdWatch standings. :shrug:

-QG
My business partner was charged with assault of his girlfriend (a long time ago)... after she had stabbed him with a knife that pierced his spleen and he knocked her out. :thumbup:

Hmm, so the Steelers consider it a "Personal Matter". It's interesting when the shoe is on the other foot in these scenarios. Thought they would have cut the guy already. 'Til then, congrats on taking an early lead in the AFC North TurdWatch standings. :thumbdown:

-QG
My business partner was charged with assault of his girlfriend (a long time ago)... after she had stabbed him with a knife that pierced his spleen and he knocked her out. :thumbdown:
William Green?

'Til then, congrats on taking an early lead in the AFC North TurdWatch standings.
Oh God, anything but that.I'm sure he'll face disciplinary action, but cutting someone for this is unneccesary. Had this been his 4th or 5th arrest, then I think they'd let him go - or if he got caught with 4 keys and some coke like Bam Morris - but something like this will be handled and they'll move on. Dumb stuff to be doing (and indefensible), but I'm not totally surprised - Harrison has always struck me as a guy with some rage issues.
Steinbach's 1 arrest was lumped in with the rest. Reggie McNeal's arrest was lumped in with the rest. I'm just pointing out that when it's a good player it's a little bit harder to, um, move on as you would say. -QG

'Til then, congrats on taking an early lead in the AFC North TurdWatch standings.
Oh God, anything but that.I'm sure he'll face disciplinary action, but cutting someone for this is unneccesary. Had this been his 4th or 5th arrest, then I think they'd let him go - or if he got caught with 4 keys and some coke like Bam Morris - but something like this will be handled and they'll move on. Dumb stuff to be doing (and indefensible), but I'm not totally surprised - Harrison has always struck me as a guy with some rage issues.
Steinbach's 1 arrest was lumped in with the rest. Reggie McNeal's arrest was lumped in with the rest. I'm just pointing out that when it's a good player it's a little bit harder to, um, move on as you would say. -QG
Of course it is. If anyone belives the caliber of player "in trouble" is irrelevant, that person is naive. However, this lone incident with Harrison certainly shouldn't be enough to cause his dismissal from the team. If the story is 100% accurate, it sounds like he owned up to his mistake and is willing to accept the consequences. "I would neeeeever hit a woman.... but I'd shake the [bleep] out of one !" - Chris Rock.

$7M a year for Max Starks:thumbup:
It's a tag. He won't be making that much when he's signed to a deal. It's a very common practice when teams want to keep the rights to unrestricted free agents and I'm sure you know that. Why would you post this?

Last edited by a moderator:
$7M a year for Max Starks:lmao:
It's a tag. He won't be making that much when he's signed to a deal. It's a very common practice when teams want to keep the rights to unrestricted free agents and I'm sure you know that. Why would you post this?
I think Norris is smart enough to know this -- he is just trying to get a rise out of you. I have no problem with ribbing over what you may believe is a stupid signing or so forth but this kind of post where you know darn well the Steelers are not offering Starks $7 million/year is just dumb. On the other hand if Starks somehow does sign a $7 million/yr contract then I will join Norris in laughing at the team that signs him, Steelers or no.

Lolley's latest:

Monday, March 10, 2008Cross Hadnot off the list The Cleveland Browns saved the Steelers from themselves, signing guard/center Rex Hadnot.The Steelers had Hadnot in for a visit last week, soon after the loss of Alan Faneca in free agency.But as I had previously stated, I wasn't a big fan of signing him since Miami had let him walk with no apparent replacement in sight.Those notions were verified over the weekend by people I talked to, who told me Hadnot is a journeyman-type and would have been a negligible upgrade over center Sean Mahan.Now, the Steelers can look elsewhere for help.One player who would intrigue me is former Jacksonville guard Chris Naeole.Naeole ended the 2007 season in injured reserve after suffering a torn tendon in his quad and was released March 3.The 33-year-old is a nasty run blocker who had proven to be very durable in his 12-year career before this recent injury. If he checks out OK physically, he could be just the kind of player who would help the Steelers up front immediately.

Posts on the message board in S. Fla where the Hadnot to Cleveland signing was announced :

By Cam Cameron

March 10, 2008 5:03 PM

Satele is not going to know what to do with himself now that he doesn’t have to block his own man plus Hadnot’s too.

By Jonathan

March 10, 2008 6:21 PM

It surprises me that anyone actually wanted him. He was horrible. In addition, he seemed dumb as a stump in press interviews. No doubt some of the teams lost interest in him during interviews.

By Jhary

March 10, 2008 7:07 PM | Link to this

Mediocre offensive line backups get $7 mil for 2 years, half gauranteed??? NFL contracts have just gotten totally insane…

By z dolphin

March 10, 2008 8:16 PM

HMM and he will be a back up too

By Clint in Ohio

March 10, 2008 9:37 PM

Cleveland ?? They will find out that they Had-not should’ve signed him. He couldn’t block up a sink. It’s amazing the money these clowns are raking in. I goes just to show you of the declining talent in the NFL !!

I'm sure some of this is sour grapes, but it doesn't sound like Fins fans are all too sad to see him go. As much as the Steelers need OL help, I'm beginning to think they could do better in the draft for less money.

I'm sure some of this is sour grapes, but it doesn't sound like Fins fans are all too sad to see him go. As much as the Steelers need OL help, I'm beginning to think they could do better in the draft for less money.
:thumbup:They said the same stuff about him when he was starting two years ago. I frequent lots of team message boards and at finheaven they didn't care for him at all. His only true saving grace is that they had a horrendous line before he got there and so he was slightly better then nothing. Which is what he would have been with us, except for the millions of dollars spent. I'd rather bring in 3 undrafted FA rookies for pennies.

any thoughts out there as to why Stepanovich wasn't given any consideration at Center?

Started as a rookie, IIRC, in ARZ. How much did he play in CIN last year? I honestly didn't even receall him switching teams.

Saw a report that Donnie Nickey from Tenn. is also scheduled to visit Pittsburgh. Apparently they've decided that since they can't sign any real OL help in FA they're going to address special teams.

Also, does anyone have any input/info on what the deal was with Justin Hartwig's knee a year ago? What about the groin in '06? Saw where the Panthers cut him yesterday because he wasn't interested in a move to G from C.(I assume they're planning on putting Khalil in at C as the starter.)

If his health checked out, and was willing to sign dirt cheap to prove he WAS indeed healthy, maybe......?? I think he's still under 30. Maybe could bridge the gap while they try and locate a long term answer at the pivot?

(Just thinking out loud. It's becoming pretty clear to me that the Steelers are probably going to be rolling with Stapleton as their C in '08.)

Chiefs LB Keyaron Fox visiting today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08071/864217-100.stm

Fox, 6-foot-3, 235 pounds, a former third-round draft choice, would be a backup linebacker and special-teams player.
signed a one year deal, financials not disclosed:http://news.steelers.com/article/87520/
Fox, a third-round draft choice in 2004, received a signing bonus of $40,000 and will be paid the veteran minimum of $605,000 in 2008. He will be a backup linebacker and special-teams performer for the Steelers.

Steelers play host to two more free agentsFriday, March 14, 2008By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-GazetteThe Steelers continue to entertain free agents in an attempt to bolster their special teams and offensive line, bringing in former Carolina Panthers center Justin Hartwig and Tennessee Titans backup safety Donnie Nickey today to meet with the coaching staff.Hartwig, who started 15 games last season for the Panthers, was released Tuesday as part of a shakeup of Carolina's offensive line. The Panthers signed Hartwig to a five-year, $17 million contract as a free agent two years ago.Nickey, who grew up in Akron, Ohio and played at Ohio State, has been a backup in five seasons with the Titans. However, he is considered a special-teams standout who once angered quarterback Vince Young because he hit his teammates too hard in practice.

I really would love for them to sign Hartwig. I don't know how the money would work out, though. Getting this guy would certainly un-handcuff us for the draft a little bit.

McFadden hired Drew Rosenhaus as his agent... we could possibly see a CB taken in the first day for sure now.

Link

By John Harris

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cornerback Bryant McFadden was the Steelers' second-round draft pick in 2005. McFadden is entering the final year of his contract and has retained the one and only Drew Rosenhaus to broker a new deal.

Be afraid Steelers fans, be very afraid.

McFadden's agent change is one of the most important developments facing the Steelers this offseason.

Rosenhaus is a squeaky wheel among NFL agents. He has a track record for bringing attention to himself and securing big money for his clients.

What does McFadden's hiring Rosenhaus have to do with the Steelers? Well, McFadden's signability could impact how the Steelers approach next month's draft.

If the Steelers plan to re-sign McFadden prior to the start of next season, they won't be forced to select a cornerback early in the draft.

If, on the other hand, the Steelers don't plan to re-sign McFadden before the start of next season -- remember, the club traditionally doesn't negotiate in season -- expect them to draft a cornerback relatively early, perhaps on the first day.

Among current Steelers cornerbacks, Ike Taylor, a fourth-round draft pick in 2003, is signed through 2010. Deshea Townsend, the other starting corner, is signed through 2009, when he will be 34.

The other corners include William Gay, a fifth-round pick last year, and Anthony Madison, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2006.

Ricardo Colclough, the team's second-round pick in 2004, was released last season, creating a vacancy at corner.

Changing agents is all well and good, but not even Rosenhaus can make the Steelers budge if the team doesn't believe that McFadden can beat out Townsend, who was a fourth-round pick in 1998.

McFadden was taken in the second round for a reason. The Steelers reward their players financially for their performance. They drafted McFadden believing he would become a starter.

The only players the Steelers pay on potential are their draft picks.

McFadden has appeared in 41 regular-season games with 10 starts. He has five career interceptions, including a 50-yard return for a touchdown against San Francisco last season.

McFadden's biggest problem in 2007 was not staying on the field. He missed three games because of a high ankle sprain, allowing Gay to receive valuable playing time at nickel back.

Hiring a new agent is one way for McFadden to get the new contract he's seeking. The best way is for McFadden to become the Steelers' starting right corner in 2008.

John Harris is a sports writer for the Tribune-Review. He can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

McFadden has been McGarbage so far, but he is elite compared to the slew of wannabe CB's the steelers carry. I see a CB drafted in the first day.

To change the subject alittle, I really liked the Mewelde Moore signing. Some special teams help is where it all starts, and who knows, could pan out to be a spot RB too.

Found a reason to bump the Steelers OFFSEASON thread up:----------------------------------------------------

per KFFL:--------------------------------------------------------Steelers | Team attending Boston College's Pro DayTue, 18 Mar 2008 12:48:19 -0700Mike Reiss, of The Boston Globe, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers are attending Boston College's Pro Day Tuesday, March 18. The Steelers are represented by pro scouting coordinator Dough Whaley. Steelers | Team re-signs EssexTue, 18 Mar 2008 12:36:01 -0700The Pittsburgh Steelers announced Tuesday, March 18, that the team re-signed free-agent OT Trai Essex to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Steelers | Team re-signs KemoeatuTue, 18 Mar 2008 12:35:19 -0700The Pittsburgh Steelers announced Tuesday, March 18, that the team re-signed free-agent OG Chris Kemoeatu to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
It seems like to me Steelers are going to be looking closely at Gosder Cherilus (sp?).

Good news, the Steelers signed a new center!

link

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Steelers agree to contract with ex-Panthers center Hartwig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

With their offensive line in transition with the departure of Alan Faneca, the Pittsburgh Steelers found a new anchor to their line by reaching a two-year, $4 million deal with former Carolina Panthers center Justin Hartwig.

Included in the deal is a $975,000 signing bonus.

Hartwig was released by the Panthers a week ago in order to give Ryan Kalil the chance to start at center. The Panthers considered moving him to guard but decided it was better to part ways.

Over the past two years, the Steelers have lost a Pro Bowl guard, Faneca, to free agency and lost a former Pro Bowl center, Jeff Hartings, to retirement. Acquiring Hartwig gives the interior of the Steelers line more versatility.

With Hartwig on board, he could start at center and allow Sean Mahan to move to one of the guard spots.

The deal was negotiated by Drew Rosenhaus, who has done $440 million of contracts this offseason.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

link

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

With their offensive line in transition with the departure of Alan Faneca, the Pittsburgh Steelers found a new anchor to their line by reaching a two-year, $4 million deal with former Carolina Panthers center Justin Hartwig.

Hartwig was released by the Panthers a week ago in order to give Ryan Kalil the chance to start at center. The Panthers considered moving him to guard but decided it was better to part ways.

Over the past two years, the Steelers have lost a Pro Bowl guard, Faneca, to free agency and lost a former Pro Bowl center, Jeff Hartings, to retirement. Acquiring Hartwig gives the interior of the Steelers line more versatility.

With Hartwig on board, he could start at center and allow Sean Mahan to move to one of the guard spots.

The deal was negotiated by Drew Rosenhaus, who has done $440 million of contracts this offseason.

slimeball is rolling in dough

link

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

I dont know much about Hartwig but isn't he injured a lot? How does he compare to Hartings?

link

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

I dont know much about Hartwig but isn't he injured a lot? How does he compare to Hartings?
I'm very excited about this. He has had a couple injuries lately but if he can stay healthy he should be a huge upgrade from Mahan. Does this mean they cut Mahan now? or keep him as a backup?

I agree that we need some OL work in the draft but this takes away the pinch...we really can afford to go BPA in at least one of the first two rounds now.

link

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

I'm very excited about this. He has had a couple injuries lately but if he can stay healthy he should be a huge upgrade from Mahan. Does this mean they cut Mahan now? or keep him as a backup?

I agree that we need some OL work in the draft but this takes away the pinch...we really can afford to go BPA in at least one of the first two rounds now.
It seems more and more likely that the #1 pick will be either OT or CB... or best offensive lineman available

From the Panthers Scout.com board, one guy said:

. Justin was lured away from the Titans. He had a very successful career, he only missed one start in three years. It was very unfortunate for him that his first game he got injured. Do any of you know what his injury was? He tore his aductor tendon, major tendon in his groin, one in which you need especially to play center. No player in the NFL has ever come back and played with that injury. Things just didn't work out for him with the Panthers. Good luck to Justin....
:whoosh:

. Justin was lured away from the Titans. He had a very successful career, he only missed one start in three years. It was very unfortunate for him that his first game he got injured. Do any of you know what his injury was? He tore his aductor tendon, major tendon in his groin, one in which you need especially to play center. No player in the NFL has ever come back and played with that injury. Things just didn't work out for him with the Panthers. Good luck to Justin....
:mellow:
I am guessing the Steelers had him checked out pretty good. Heck he would be an upgrade over Mahan if he was torn off at the waist and had no legs.

McFadden has been McGarbage so far, but he is elite compared to the slew of wannabe CB's the steelers carry. I see a CB drafted in the first day. To change the subject alittle, I really liked the Mewelde Moore signing. Some special teams help is where it all starts, and who knows, could pan out to be a spot RB too.
I wouldn't say he's been McGarbage but he hasn't lived up to his potential. He showed a lot of promise in 2005 and I thought for sure he would have taken Townsend's job in 2006. It is now two years later and he still hasn't supplanted Townsend.Maybe he is a late bloomer and will still be a starting CB someday but I wouldn't be throwing a lot of money his way until he proves it.

Considering Marvel Smith has a balky back/is a UFA after this season anyway, they had BETTER be considering OT heavily this draft. There are plenty of them and Colon/Essex/Starks(if he's even around. I don't think he will be.) aren't exactly world beaters at tackle. I'm also of the opinion that until Kemo does more than flash something for a handful of series he shouldn't be being counted on either. Colon moving inside if they upgrade the OT position is still a very viable possibility to me.

Signing Hartwig should have changed nothing, draftwise, IMO. They need to make their offensive line better, not remain status quo. Hartwig should certainly help in that regard. But they can't just sign him and call it "done." That's what they did a year ago with Mahan and they paid for it.

What Hartwig's signing does do, perhaps, is alleviate the need to burn an early pick on an interior guy which is fine with me. I don't dig Branden Albert and there wasn't any C in this crop that I felt that great about as a day one pick anyway. So now they're free to focus on tackles(which, like I said, are legion in this draft) and youth on the DL. I'd be totally okay if they burnt 4-5 of their six picks on OL and DL, honestly. Throw another pick at CB for sure, somewhere. And use the last pick, if they only went 2/2 on the OL/DL, on a "BPA" in whichever round lineman aren't value.

Last edited by a moderator:

:unsure:
The groin injury sounded bad, so I did some googling and found this:
...NOTE: The Panthers were looking for competition on their offensive line, but they reduced the field by one, releasing center Justin Hartwig.

The move clears the way for second-year man Ryan Kalil to take over in the middle, and likely for free agent pickup Keydrick Vincent to play right guard. Restricted free agent Geoff Hangartner can also play both spots, but would be more likely to contend for the guard job with Vincent.

Cutting Hartwig also clears the books of a free-agent pickup gone wrong for reasons scarcely beyond bad luck.

Viewed as an ascending player from a good line, the Panthers signed him to a five-year, $17 million deal in 2006.

Then he immediately realized he needed hernia surgery, and missed much of the offseason work. Then he suffered a groin injury in the opener when he stepped on quarterback Jake Delhomme's foot after a snap and didn't start another game that year. He had what was called "adductor tendon release" to repair his problem, which involved cutting one of the tendons that attach the thigh bone to the hip. Doctors had to cut other muscles in the area during the procedure, and it seemed at times that his strength never recovered.

Hartwig recovered to start 15 games last year, but finished the year on injured reserve with a knee injury.

After drafting Kalil last year, Hartwig's role for the future came into question. The Panthers spent the last month trying to trade him, but unable to find a taker, came to the decision to release him.
To me, the above sounds like the tendon was surgically cut, then repaired, rather than torn up by use. He recovered and made 15 starts...but did his strength recover?

Im just relieved that front office is absolutely aware of the problems along the line and especially at center.

I fully expect them to draft a center now, provided that the value at the time of the selection is appropriate.

Found a reason to bump the Steelers OFFSEASON thread up:

----------------------------------------------------

per KFFL:

--------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Team attending Boston College's Pro Day

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:48:19 -0700

Mike Reiss, of The Boston Globe, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers are attending Boston College's Pro Day Tuesday, March 18. The Steelers are represented by pro scouting coordinator Dough Whaley.

Steelers | Team re-signs Essex

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:36:01 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced Tuesday, March 18, that the team re-signed free-agent OT Trai Essex to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Steelers | Team re-signs Kemoeatu

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:35:19 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced Tuesday, March 18, that the team re-signed free-agent OG Chris Kemoeatu to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
It seems like to me Steelers are going to be looking closely at Gosder Cherilus (sp?).
I wouldn't read too much into that. They would send somebody if there was a chance they would take somebody from BC in the 7th round.However, Tomlin and Colbert were at the Penn State pro day. King is a first round possibility.

link

Found a reason to bump the Steelers OFFSEASON thread up:

----------------------------------------------------

per KFFL:

--------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Team attending Boston College's Pro Day

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:48:19 -0700

Mike Reiss, of The Boston Globe, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers are attending Boston College's Pro Day Tuesday, March 18. The Steelers are represented by pro scouting coordinator Dough Whaley.

Steelers | Team re-signs Essex

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:36:01 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced Tuesday, March 18, that the team re-signed free-agent OT Trai Essex to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Steelers | Team re-signs Kemoeatu

Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:35:19 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced Tuesday, March 18, that the team re-signed free-agent OG Chris Kemoeatu to a one-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
I wouldn't read too much into that. They would send somebody if there was a chance they would take somebody from BC in the 7th round.However, Tomlin and Colbert were at the Penn State pro day. King is a first round possibility.

link
Gateway represent :popcorn: :P

They better not take King in round 1. Round 3, maybe - round 1 isn't the time for a flyer.

Still believe Albert, Cherilus, Otah, or Williams will be the round 1 pick, with rds 2-3 spent on either OL, DL, or CB.

They better not take King in round 1. Round 3, maybe - round 1 isn't the time for a flyer. Still believe Albert, Cherilus, Otah, or Williams will be the round 1 pick, with rds 2-3 spent on either OL, DL, or CB.
+1OL>>DL>>>>CBWe need to refill the trenches.

Steelers release Wilson

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have released veteran wide receiver Cedrick Wilson, the team announced this morning.

Wilson, who was entering his eighth NFL season, was arrested Wednesday night for hitting his former girlfriend in a Pine restaurant, and was charged by police with simple assault, harrassment and disorderly conduct.

In January, the woman, Lindsey Paulat, 26, of Fawn, was involved in a lengthy armed standoff at Wilson's home, police said.

Wilson signed with the Steelers in March 2005 as an unrestricted free agent from the San Francisco 49ers. In three seasons with the Steelers Wilson caught 81 passes for 1,162 yards and two touchdowns.

They better not take King in round 1. Round 3, maybe - round 1 isn't the time for a flyer. Still believe Albert, Cherilus, Otah, or Williams will be the round 1 pick, with rds 2-3 spent on either OL, DL, or CB.
King can play. It wouldn't be a flyer. If they like him they better take him in round one becasue he won't be there in round 2.That being said, I want Albert.

King can play. It wouldn't be a flyer. If they like him they better take him in round one becasue he won't be there in round 2.That being said, I want Albert.
You think? I know the guy can fly, but his ball skills leave a lot to be desired from what I've seen. Sounds to me like Ike Taylor II, which isn't the worst thing in the world, but in round 1 with so many other needs? I don't see it. I didn't think King was that highly regarded - I haven't seen anyone rate him above the 6th or 7th best CB in this class. I'd rather have Jenkins, McKelvin, Cromartie, Talib or Cason. I put King in the next group with Flowers, Godfrey, Porter, and Lee. I'd think King would be there in the 50s, but I could be way off.

Users who are viewing this thread