What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steelers 2008 (1 Viewer)

NFL Notebook: Steelers sign Warren; McFarland agrees to deal

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

From local and wire dispatches

The Steelers came to another contract agreement with one of their own players yesterday when long-snapper Greg Warren reached terms on a three-year contract. He will receive $2.3 million, including a signing bonus of $395,000.

Warren made the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2005 and has been their long snapper since. He became a restricted free agent Feb. 29. Yesterday, the Steelers entertained another veteran free agent and three college prospects.

Anthony "Booger" McFarland, released last month by the Indianapolis Colts when he failed their physical, came to a contract agreement with the Steelers last night after meeting with team officials and taking a physical earlier in the day. He is a defensive lineman who is 6 feet, 300 pounds. He spent all last season on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Colts acquired McFarland in a trade with Tampa Bay in October 2006 for a second-round draft choice.

He was the Buccaneers' first-round draft choice in 1999 from LSU and played for Tampa Bay when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was the secondary coach there.

The Steelers are set with their three starters in the defensive line, ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel and nose tackle Casey Hampton. They are thin behind them, especially at end. They re-signed end Travis Kirschke, 34, before he would have become a free agent Feb. 29. Ryan McBean, a rookie who spent most of last season on the practice squad, recently had foot surgery and still cannot work out.

The three college prospects who visited the Steelers yesterday were Arizona State running back Ryan Torain, Michigan outside linebacker Shawn Cable and linebacker Jerod Mayo of Tennessee.

The Steelers also announced that center Justin Hartwig finally signed his contract, one week after he agreed to a two-year, $3,725,000 with the team as a free agent from Carolina.

NFL Notebook: Steelers sign Warren; McFarland agrees to deal

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

From local and wire dispatches

The Steelers came to another contract agreement with one of their own players yesterday when long-snapper Greg Warren reached terms on a three-year contract. He will receive $2.3 million, including a signing bonus of $395,000.

Warren made the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2005 and has been their long snapper since. He became a restricted free agent Feb. 29. Yesterday, the Steelers entertained another veteran free agent and three college prospects.

Anthony "Booger" McFarland, released last month by the Indianapolis Colts when he failed their physical, came to a contract agreement with the Steelers last night after meeting with team officials and taking a physical earlier in the day. He is a defensive lineman who is 6 feet, 300 pounds. He spent all last season on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Colts acquired McFarland in a trade with Tampa Bay in October 2006 for a second-round draft choice.

He was the Buccaneers' first-round draft choice in 1999 from LSU and played for Tampa Bay when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was the secondary coach there.

The Steelers are set with their three starters in the defensive line, ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel and nose tackle Casey Hampton. They are thin behind them, especially at end. They re-signed end Travis Kirschke, 34, before he would have become a free agent Feb. 29. Ryan McBean, a rookie who spent most of last season on the practice squad, recently had foot surgery and still cannot work out.

The three college prospects who visited the Steelers yesterday were Arizona State running back Ryan Torain, Michigan outside linebacker Shawn Cable and linebacker Jerod Mayo of Tennessee.

The Steelers also announced that center Justin Hartwig finally signed his contract, one week after he agreed to a two-year, $3,725,000 with the team as a free agent from Carolina.
Why not take a chance on McFarland? At least they are doing.....something. I like the Hartwig and "Booger" picks. :rolleyes:

Reading that Adam Schefter is reporting that Clark Haggans has agreed to terms with Arizona for a one year deal.

The Lamar Woodly era is now officially underway :thumbup:

Actually I was hoping the Steelers would call Haggans back after he tested the FA waters and found that no one was going to throw big money his way.

It is not that I am a big fan of Haggans because he was definitely the weak spot of the 4 starting LBs but he knows the system and would have been nice as a backup if he came cheap.

Actually I was hoping the Steelers would call Haggans back after he tested the FA waters and found that no one was going to throw big money his way. It is not that I am a big fan of Haggans because he was definitely the weak spot of the 4 starting LBs but he knows the system and would have been nice as a backup if he came cheap.
I guess, but he sure looked bad last season. The defense on a whole was pretty sketchy last year, and definately let us down more than a few times, especially in the Jacksonville games.

Steelers: McFarland not signed

By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff

Published: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:49 PM EDT

The Steelers appeared set to sign free-agent defensive lineman Anthony McFarland on Tuesday night. But after working him out Wednesday morning, they withdrew their offer. A Steelers spokesman said late Wednesday afternoon that no deal has been struck with McFarland. Apparently, McFarland flunked his physical. A 10-year veteran with 85 career starts, McFarland missed last season with a knee injury. McFarland played for Tampa Bay and Indianapolis.

Steelers: McFarland not signed

By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff

Published: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:49 PM EDT

The Steelers appeared set to sign free-agent defensive lineman Anthony McFarland on Tuesday night. But after working him out Wednesday morning, they withdrew their offer. A Steelers spokesman said late Wednesday afternoon that no deal has been struck with McFarland. Apparently, McFarland flunked his physical. A 10-year veteran with 85 career starts, McFarland missed last season with a knee injury. McFarland played for Tampa Bay and Indianapolis.
Man, what the hell did that guy do to his knee?

Godsbrother said:
Drunken Cowboy said:
Woodley will be a beast. Don't forget about Timmons either.
I am trying hard to forget about Timmons.
I don't know why. It is way too early to give up on the guy.
:goodposting:The whole draft report on him was that he was very talented but very raw and was going to require more time to develop. Now, they're probably going to move him inside, so I don't think we're really going to start to see what he's capable of until 2009.

Timmons is still only 21 years old. FFS, if we let Alonzo Jackson drop turds on the field for two years, I think we let Timmons get a pass after an injury plagued rookie year.

Steelers Re-sign unrestricted free agent EasonFriday, March 28, 2008From local and wire dispatchesTerribly thin at defensive end, the Steelers re-signed another of their veteran backups yesterday and also entertained five more college prospects, including two defensive linemen.Nick Eason, who signed a one-year contract as an unrestricted free agent last year from the Cleveland Browns, signed up for two years this time. He became an unrestricted free agent Feb. 29 from the Steelers.His signing means the club no longer has an active interest in acquiring veteran defensive lineman Anthony McFarland, who paid them a visit this week after he was released by the Indianapolis Colts. He left without signing a contract.Eason (6-3, 305) made one start at left end for injured Aaron Smith last season and played in 16 games.He will enter his sixth season in the NFL. In February, the Steelers re-signed veteran backup defensive end Travis Kirschke, who would have become a free agent Feb. 29.The five college prospects who paid visits to the Steelers training complex yesterday were Boston College offensive tackle Gosder Chrilus, Texas A&M defensive lineman Red Bryant, Kansas fullback Brandon McAnderson, Michigan State running back Jehuu Caulcrick and Hampton defensive end Kendall Langford.Each NFL team can have as many as 30 draft prospects visit their site before the draft.
Meh.

I wish that the Steelers would seriously consider adding Jacob Hester (FB from LSU) in the draft. He seems like he would be a good lead blocker for Willie & could also provide some serious punch as a goal line back.

I wish that the Steelers would seriously consider adding Jacob Hester (FB from LSU) in the draft. He seems like he would be a good lead blocker for Willie & could also provide some serious punch as a goal line back.
I think they are moving away from the fullback. I wish they wouldn't, but I think they are.

More and more I'm thinking if the Steelers go OL in round 1, it's going to be Cherilus. He's among the most seasoned guys, will be able to play right away, and he has the strength and mean streak the Steelers look for in their linemen. BC has a good OL pedigree, too. I think they try to get Starks to sign a black-loaded long term deal with the intent of moving him to LT if/when Marvel's back finally gives and having him compete for the starting RT spot with Cherilus this year.

More and more I'm thinking if the Steelers go OL in round 1, it's going to be Cherilus. He's among the most seasoned guys, will be able to play right away, and he has the strength and mean streak the Steelers look for in their linemen. BC has a good OL pedigree, too. I think they try to get Starks to sign a black-loaded long term deal with the intent of moving him to LT if/when Marvel's back finally gives and having him compete for the starting RT spot with Cherilus this year.
EG --Is Cherilus more of a G than a T? Im not sure and it seems you are good at kind of projecting these college prospects and are well respected Steeler source.From my own thoughts, I'd have to imagine if they went G in the first, they definitely would have him starting this year, not moving him.(assuming we resign M. Starks)LT - M.Smith/M.Starks__LG - G. Cherilus__C - J. Hartwig__RG - K. Simmons__RT - W. Colon/M. StarksBackups: T - M. Starks/T.Essex, G - C. Kemoateau, G/C - S. MahanI think this is a very realistic possibility of what our line would look like with Cherilus, which would be very good in my opinion from last years group. Not even counting that I believe that there's a very strong chance that more line prospects would be in the mix from this year's deep T and G class.Personally I think we let Marvel walk next offseason, even though you typically dont see franchise T's in FA, I think the price he will demand in the market will be too much for the Steeler front office to muster. Possibly allowing Starks or a T in this or next year's draft class to step in and perform. Colbert and the Steelers MGMT must see something in Starks to give him the transition tag, it shows they are committed to either getting something for him or he will be the successor to the LT position, because he did perform well whenever Marvel went down due to injury. :confused:

EG --Is Cherilus more of a G than a T? Im not sure and it seems you are good at kind of projecting these college prospects and are well respected Steeler source.From my own thoughts, I'd have to imagine if they went G in the first, they definitely would have him starting this year, not moving him.(assuming we resign M. Starks)LT - M.Smith/M.Starks__LG - G. Cherilus__C - J. Hartwig__RG - K. Simmons__RT - W. Colon/M. StarksBackups: T - M. Starks/T.Essex, G - C. Kemoateau, G/C - S. MahanI think this is a very realistic possibility of what our line would look like with Cherilus, which would be very good in my opinion from last years group. Not even counting that I believe that there's a very strong chance that more line prospects would be in the mix from this year's deep T and G class.Personally I think we let Marvel walk next offseason, even though you typically dont see franchise T's in FA, I think the price he will demand in the market will be too much for the Steeler front office to muster. Possibly allowing Starks or a T in this or next year's draft class to step in and perform. Colbert and the Steelers MGMT must see something in Starks to give him the transition tag, it shows they are committed to either getting something for him or he will be the successor to the LT position, because he did perform well whenever Marvel went down due to injury. :lmao:
I think Cherilus is a prototypical RT. I think if they wanted a G, they'd go Albert, as he could project to T as well, but Cherilus is straight RT. In your theoretical above, they'd probably move Colon to G and leave Gosder at RT. Starks actually looked better at LT than he did at RT, which surprised me, but I think Starks, if they keep him, will compete with Cherilus this year and move to LT next year. Now, I'm not saying this is the right move.. just what might be happening.

Maybe it was just being out of position, but I thought Cherilus looked lost at the 2nd level. He could block the guy in front of him but looked like he couldn't find a LB, let alone get ahold of one. I was very excited earlier when it looked like Otah may fall to us, but I'm really starting to wonder if there will be anything of good value by our pick other than CBs or maybe J.Stewart - neither of which are big needs when you compare those positions to our lines.

I'm really starting to like the idea of T.Laws in the 2nd. That guy impressed the hell out of me in the Senior Bowl and moved pretty well at the combine too.

Tomlin confident Steelers will be competitive in '08

Monday, March 31, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- In charge of a team they admit went downhill at the end of the 2007 season, Steelers mechanics went to work on fixing things in the new year.

They tightened a few bolts, added some chrome but also lost a wheel or two in the process. Yesterday morning, the young driver assigned the duty of trying to bring her home again next season relaxed under a warm South Florida sun and declared her ship-worthy.

"I feel good about the pieces that we have in place for '08 thus far to compete," coach Mike Tomlin said. "I have a level of comfort with some of our leadership and the guys in their roles.

"I know we're capable of being a good team. Whether or not we're capable of being a great team, which is what's going to be required to be world champs, that always will unfold inside the white lines in stadiums."

Tomlin did not express satisfaction with everything that has been done or where his team resides as it heads into the draft April 26-27. But, he was not dissatisfied either.

The highlights of the Steelers' offseason read like this:

Lost seven-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, starting outside linebacker Clark Haggans and third-string quarterback Brian St. Pierre in free agency, all expected.

Released special teams captain Clint Kriewaldt and No. 4 wide receiver Cedrick Wilson. Re-signed some of their own backup veterans, their starting quarterback, signed a linebacker to replace Kriewaldt, added third-down back Mewelde Moore, and signed center Justin Hartwig, released by Carolina, to possibly start.

Those moves, plus re-signing backup defensive ends Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason, will allow the Steelers to pursue their original goals in the draft, the coach said.

"Like we've said all offseason, all our positions are draftable," Tomlin said. "That's some of the things we've done through free agency. Anywhere we felt like we were thin positionally, we addressed it in free agency, so we could take the draft the way we're approaching it, in that we would take the best available, barring positions."

Tomlin acknowledged that although his team won the AFC North Division at 10-6 in a tiebreaker with Cleveland, which missed the playoffs, the Steelers limped home and were not at their best when January arrived. They lost four of their final five, including their playoff game against Jacksonville.

"We were a team going down and not up, that's the reality of it," Tomlin said. "That's how some teams rise to the top and win world championships while others watch. We were one of those who watched. We didn't play well enough to move on.

"We had some injuries, but injuries are part of the game. You'll never hear us make those excuses, it's just part of it. We have to try to be one of those teams on the rise in January and be part of it next year, as opposed to be on the decline."

The injuries came fast and furious and struck some of their top players near the end of last season, including to halfback Willie Parker while he was leading the NFL in rushing, to left tackle Marvel Smith, and to one of their most indispensable defensive players, end Aaron Smith.

Tomlin yesterday issued some updates on those injuries.

Parker, whose fibula was broken in the 15th game of the season, is working out and running at home in North Carolina and the Steelers are optimistic he'll be fine as new in 2008.

Receiver Hines Ward, who had knee surgery, also was working out at home, in Atlanta, but plans to return to Pittsburgh today to take part in the offseason drills.

"Things are going well with him," Tomlin said.

Defensive end Aaron Smith, who missed the final four games, including the playoff game with a torn bicep that required surgery, "looks good ... he's close to normal."

Offensive tackle Marvel Smith, who had minor back surgery in December, is doing well and working out with his teammates. "We expect him to be ready to go."

Safety Ryan Clark, who had his spleen and gall bladder removed at midseason, also has been working out at the Steelers facility, regaining his weight and "getting that pep in his step back."

Tomlin said he looks good and the Steelers hope to have him back fully this summer.

Some of the injured will be held back in the spring "to err on the side of caution," Tomlin said.

After one month of free agency, the Steelers normally are finished after making a ripple and not a splash. Tomlin, though, would not rule out anything -- as happened when the Panthers unexpectedly released their starting center in Hartwig.

"We leave no stone unturned," Tomlin said. "If people show up on the market that are not on the market at this point, we'll consider them.

"We'll continue to hash through the guys left on the market to see if their fit is feasible. That's what this time of year is about."

Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

someone posted this article on lambert from 76 on the scout forum

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...299/1/index.htm

its a fun read and has great quotes

"We've got some 30 pass situations in which the linebackers provide coverage," he says. "That's a lot, but all three of us are fast and relatively light. And we get her done." With Lambert at 218, Ham 220 and Russell at 214, the Steeler linebacker corps is one of the lightest in the NFL, but Lambert's philosophy of impact over weight infuses each member of the trio. "I give away 20 pounds every time I step on the field," he allows. "So I have to be 20 pounds more aggressive."

Last edited by a moderator:
Not making excuses at all, but still worth a read, and good way to get back to first page, where we belong.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/02/...ed-garrard-run/

REF SHOULD HAVE FLAGGED GARRARD RUN

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2008, 1:39 p.m.

One of the most exciting plays of this year’s playoffs should have been called back because of a holding penalty.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the NFL now acknowledges that Jaguars quarterback David Garrard’s 32-yard run on fourth-and-2 late in Jacksonville’s playoff win over the Steelers was aided by a block that should have been flagged for holding.

Per Bouchette, VP of Officiating Mike Pereira admitted that the crew working the game erred in not calling a holding penalty against Jacksonville on the play, which set the Jaguars up for the winning field goal.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin declined to comment yesterday.

Although the missed call was disappointing to Steelers fans, there are plenty of more flagrant holds that don’t get called, and that non-call was far from the only reason the Steelers lost.

In fact, part of the reason Tomlin declined to comment may be that he realizes his own odd decision to call for Ben Roethlisberger to run up the middle on third-and-6 with 2:56 left in the game hurt the Steelers as much as the missed holding penalty. That quarterback sneak netted the Steelers one yard, and the punt on the next play put the Jaguars in position for the game-winning drive.

Not making excuses at all, but still worth a read, and good way to get back to first page, where we belong.

One of the most exciting plays of this year’s playoffs should have been called back because of a holding penalty.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the NFL now acknowledges that Jaguars quarterback David Garrard’s 32-yard run on fourth-and-2 late in Jacksonville’s playoff win over the Steelers was aided by a block that should have been flagged for holding.

Per Bouchette, VP of Officiating Mike Pereira admitted that the crew working the game erred in not calling a holding penalty against Jacksonville on the play, which set the Jaguars up for the winning field goal.

Although the missed call was disappointing to Steelers fans, there are plenty of more flagrant holds that don’t get called, and that non-call was far from the only reason the Steelers lost.

In fact, part of the reason Tomlin declined to comment may be that he realizes his own odd decision to call for Ben Roethlisberger to run up the middle on third-and-6 with 2:56 left in the game hurt the Steelers as much as the missed holding penalty. That quarterback sneak netted the Steelers one yard, and the punt on the next play put the Jaguars in position for the game-winning drive.
Yep, I thought it was a hold too. It sucks but sometimes the calls go your way and sometimes they don't. The Steelers had many opportunities to win that game and that stupid 3rd and 6 play still burns my ### more than the blown no-call by the ref.

Non issue. Bad playcalling lost them that game.

Yep, I thought it was a hold too. It sucks but sometimes the calls go your way and sometimes they don't. The Steelers had many opportunities to win that game and that stupid 3rd and 6 play still burns my ### more than the blown no-call by the ref.
I have visited several Steeler message boards and get the same correct reaction. Steelers didn't play good enough to win and it shouldn't have come down to holding them on the last series.Contrast this with the Seahawk fans who didn't even get an admission of a mistake from the league (well besides the bogus chop block)...still spitting in sandwiches and putting * next to XL.

Charges dropped against James Harrison:

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports...630/detail.html

BELLEVUE, Pa. -- Charges against Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison, stemming from a domestic incident with his girlfriend, were dropped at a preliminary hearing on Thursday.

#

Talk About It: Jump On Our Steelers Message Board And Share Your Comments

Last month, Harrison was arrested on charges of simple assault and criminal mischief after Beth Tibbott told police she was struck in the face at her home in Ohio Township.

Tibbott had locked herself in a bedroom and was trying to call for help during an argument, when Harrison broke through the door, took her cell phone and then slapped her, according to the police report.

"They've resolved their differences and through her attorney made it clear that she was not interested in prosecuting him, and my suspicion is that they are reconciled," said Harrison's lawyer, Robert Del Greco.

Harrison took anger management courses, and District Justice Tara Smith said no further counseling is needed.

"James Harrison was a first-time offender having no history of violent crime in his background, and he attended proper protocol for anger management," Del Greco said.

Preseason only 4 months away!

Steelers 2008 Preseason Schedule

Date Time Opponent/TV

TBD............................. TBD........................ PHILADELPHIA/KDKA-TV, FSN Pittsburgh

Thursday, Aug. 14 ....... 7:30 p.m. ........... at Buffalo (Toronto)/KDKA-TV, FSN Pittsburgh

Saturday, Aug. 23........ 8 p.m. .......................................................... at Minnesota/CBS

Thursday, Aug. 28....... TBD .............................. CAROLINA/KDKA-TV, FSN Pittsburgh

someone posted this article on lambert from 76 on the scout forum

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...299/1/index.htm

its a fun read and has great quotes

"We've got some 30 pass situations in which the linebackers provide coverage," he says. "That's a lot, but all three of us are fast and relatively light. And we get her done." With Lambert at 218, Ham 220 and Russell at 214, the Steeler linebacker corps is one of the lightest in the NFL, but Lambert's philosophy of impact over weight infuses each member of the trio. "I give away 20 pounds every time I step on the field," he allows. "So I have to be 20 pounds more aggressive."
So now we know where Larry the Cable Guy stole his line.

Mike Tomlin: One season into his new job

Sunday, April 06, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A veteran network television executive, attending another in a long line of annual NFL meetings for him, strolled past a table near the hotel pool, where two young head coaches chatted.

He stopped after a stretch, nodded his head toward the coaches and said, "They look like they're 12 years old."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, 35, and Raiders coach Lane Kiffin, almost 33, were two of the six youngest men to make their NFL head-coaching debuts since the league merged in 1970.

They have that in common, and, with little history between them, it might be what brought them together Wednesday afternoon for a few hours by the pool after the meetings wrapped up. It might be the only thing they have in common.

Kiffin, hired last year, has been asked to resign by Oakland owner Al Davis after the Raiders finished 4-12 in his first season. Tomlin already has a division championship after one season and the unequivocal support of his owners.

"I thought he did very, very well," said Steelers chairman Dan Rooney, whose two previous hires for the position lasted 33 years between them. "I thought he did a great job. I think he learned things that he had to learn.

"He came in with a good team that won the Super Bowl two years before. There was player unrest, and you were bound to get a different feel for a different coach. But he handled it, he handled it well, he handled the Alan Faneca thing. It was not an easy thing."

Don't succeed a legend, the maxim holds. Become the second coach after the legend leaves. The successors to John Wooden, Bear Bryant, Bobby Knight and Don Shula, among others, learned the lesson too late. Bill Cowher defied it with the Steelers, and Tomlin started well in his attempt to follow.

"People don't understand how difficult that is," Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said Wednesday morning. "It's not hard to come in when a team hasn't had success, but to follow a guy who has done as well as Bill did and with so many guys still loyal to him!

"That's a tough situation; you never want to follow the real successful guy right away, other than the fact you're going to have some pretty good players there, which he did."

Land mines were everywhere. Faneca, a seven-time Pro Bowl player and a captain of the offense, was miserable because of his contract status. Joey Porter, a captain of the defense, was released. Many of their teammates were furious because of those two and the fact neither Russ Grimm nor Ken Whisenhunt was hired to replace Cowher.

Tomlin entered with new rules, new approaches and backed away from none of the player unrest.

"It's easy to say we're going to do this, and this is the way we're going to do it, when guys haven't been successful," Dungy said. "Now all of a sudden they say, 'Hey coach, we won for 15 years doing it this way, why do we need to do it your way?' But Mike was able to get through all that and get the guys understanding him. I thought Mike did a great job. He had a great year."

Said Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli, who worked with Tomlin at Tampa Bay, "He did an 'A' job, and he'll get better and better, there's no doubt in my mind. He's a special guy now. No doubt in my mind he's going to be one of the best coaches in this league for years."

Tomlin, for the most part, shrugs off such praise from his colleagues and bosses. He does not care about last season -- he even pooh-poohed the NFL's admission that Jacksonville linemen overtly held on a key play that led to the Jaguars' victory against the Steelers in their January playoff game. He dismissed a question the other day when a reporter asked him if he put his stamp on the team in his first season as coach.

"You'd have to ask somebody else that. I'm not here to put my stamp on anything. I'm here to win, to lead the Steelers, that's my focus. I'll leave that up to you guys to determine what my stamp is."

Another question came quickly: Did he earn the respect of his players?

"I don't worry about that. Every job I've ever gotten people have asked me that question because I was a young guy. I coach, they play. Mutual respect is, of course, part of it. I've never really focused on that. I think if you have the tools that can help those guys be better players, it's a non-issue."

Tomlin enters his second year on the job with a different set of potential land mines than he did as a rookie head coach. The Cleveland Browns, who tied the Steelers' 10-6 regular-season record, have made vast improvements in the offseason, while the Steelers lost Faneca, starting linebacker Clark Haggans and No. 4 receiver Cedrick Wilson. The schedule is a killer that even Rooney noted.

"The schedule is awful tough, but you can't talk about that, you have to play it," Rooney said. "We'll see how he handles that. I have confidence in him."

Tomlin does not lack any confidence in himself, either.

"I pride myself in being comfortable. I'm not going to be uncomfortable," Tomlin said. "Not being flippant or funny, but I've got a great deal of respect for the Rooneys, that they knew what they were doing, that they know what they're looking for and that they selected me to be their head coach. I found comfort in that, and so it was never a period of discomfort for me."

Comfortable, perhaps, but he said he does not assume anything about his job or the longevity that went with it for Cowher and Chuck Noll.

"I don't look for security. If I was looking for security, I'd be a professor or something, some tenured position. I feel comfortable because I know what lies ahead. This is the second lap around the track for me, if you will. That being said, every lap is different. I expect it to be, and we've got to roll our sleeves up and get back to work.

"Man, I'm living a dream. Every day I come to work it's an awesome thing. I walk past five Lombardis to my right every morning when I walk to my office. It's fun, it's awesome, it's challenging, it's tough, it's all those things, but it's what you dream about doing.

"I love it."

Groves, Steelers strike chord

By John Harris

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Monday, April 7, 2008

Auburn defensive end/outside linebacker Quentin Groves sacks quarterbacks, which is why the Steelers attended his Pro Day last month and arranged for his official interview today at the team's South Side facility.

As much as the Steelers seem to like Groves, a two-time all-Southeastern Conference selection, Groves has even deeper feelings for the Steelers.

"Ever since I was little, I was always a Steeler fan,'' said Groves, who grew up in Mississippi and told people at the NFL Scouting Combine in February that he wants the Steelers to draft him. "When I saw that black and gold for the first time, it was like, 'man, I love the way those guys play defense.'

"I'm kind of an old-school guy. Mean Joe Greene, he was probably one of the best I've ever seen doing what he does. I didn't grow up watching them but back over time, you watched guys like Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swann -- how did he make that catch, how did he make that throw? I've got a chance to be a part of that if Pittsburgh drafts me. It's just those guys, and the things they did for that organization.''

The Steelers' feeling about Groves is apparently mutual. And the Steelers have plenty of company.

Groves is also scheduled to visit Cleveland, Cincinnati, Miami, San Francisco, New Orleans, New England, the Giants and Jets.

Give or take Ohio State's Vernon Gholston, a likely top-10 selection, Groves is considered the best defensive end/outside linebacker in the April 26-27 draft.

In case you missed coach Mike Tomlin's memo, the Steelers, who have the No. 23 overall pick, could use another pass rusher off the edge.

Groves led the SEC with 23 quarterback pressures in 2007. A classic speed rusher, he's Auburn's career sack leader with 26.

"A lot of the great players in the NFL are from the SEC. It speaks to the level of competition I faced. The competition is unbelievable,'' Groves said. "Every team's looking for that great pass rusher since the New York Giants won the Super Bowl. I'm athletic enough to play linebacker, but I'm also strong and physical enough to play defensive end. I feel like I can take my ability to the next level.''

The Steelers thought enough about Groves' potential to send Tomlin and other staff members to observe Auburn's Pro Day on March 10.

Recovering from a severe case of the flu that resulted in him losing 10 pounds, Groves received motivation from an unlikely source.

"Coach Tomlin was giving me some words of inspiration because I was the only one doing the linebacker drills. He was urging me from the sideline,'' Groves said. "He was saying, 'C'mon, Big Q, don't let them see you tired.' I said, 'I got you coach.' For a head coach to do that speaks volumes for him as a person.''

That's when Groves came to realize how the Steelers -- his Steelers -- really felt about him.

"That did two things for me,'' he said. "It let me know that, hey, they're really interested in me as a player. And it gave me motivation to do even better.''

Groves plays with a non-stop motor, but he's so much more. He's an energy guy with talent who dominated in the best conference in college football. The Steelers apparently like what they saw on tape. Today they hope to learn more about the player under the helmet.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Groves sounds like he'd be a great addition, but where do you put him with Woodley and Harrison locking down the OLB spots for the foreseeable future? Clearly, the guy doesn't have the size to play 3-4 DE and his strengths are such that it would be foollish to move him inside.

Groves sounds like he'd be a great addition, but where do you put him with Woodley and Harrison locking down the OLB spots for the foreseeable future? Clearly, the guy doesn't have the size to play 3-4 DE and his strengths are such that it would be foollish to move him inside.
That's my take on this as well. Great player from a BPA standpoint, but we have more glaring holes to fill. If not Albert/Otah/Cherilus, then look to trade down. If no takers there, go for DRC. If none of the above are possible....take Groves, I guess.

That's my take on this as well. Great player from a BPA standpoint, but we have more glaring holes to fill. If not Albert/Otah/Cherilus, then look to trade down. If no takers there, go for DRC. If none of the above are possible....take Groves, I guess.
If Harrison was 31 and had 6 years atrting under his belt, I could see it, but you have to figure that, barring injury, we're looking at Harrison and Woodley on the outside for the next 3-4 seasons at the very least. That leaves Groves with nowhere to go, you simply don't draft backups in round 1. I can't see any of the three of them (Woodley, Harrison, Groves) being more effective inside - they're all edge-rushers and guys that can wreak havoc in the backfield.

If Harrison was 31 and had 6 years atrting under his belt, I could see it, but you have to figure that, barring injury, we're looking at Harrison and Woodley on the outside for the next 3-4 seasons at the very least. That leaves Groves with nowhere to go, you simply don't draft backups in round 1. I can't see any of the three of them (Woodley, Harrison, Groves) being more effective inside - they're all edge-rushers and guys that can wreak havoc in the backfield.
Given this scenario (what I was hinting at above): Say the top 4 OTs and Albert and DRC are off the board, and the Steelers can't find a trading partner. Who do you take?

Given this scenario (what I was hinting at above): Say the top 4 OTs and Albert and DRC are off the board, and the Steelers can't find a trading partner. Who do you take?
Assuming you're saying the top 4 OTs are Long, Clady, Williams, and Otah, I would take one of :Cherilus, Mike Jenkins, Talib, Mayo, Merling, Balmer, or Groves.

Yes and No.I completely agree that it doesn't look like Groves would see the field much right now - but the NFL stands for "not for long". - Harrison has a tendency to get hurt, had an off the field incident, and will be an FA in 2010- Woodley is still an unproven 2nd year player, although he did look like a stud in the making.So, at worst, you have a beast to plug in to give Harrison/Woodley a breather, and there's little dropoff if either gets hurt over the next 2 years, and you expect Groves to start in year 3 when someone gives Harrison the massive payday he has earned.Of course, its possible that Harrison has more off the field problems, or either player gets hurt, then the Steelers D may turn into a crab with one claw.Timmons moving back outside is another rebuttal to taking Groves, but I think everyone here knows my feelings on him. :popcorn:I do think Groves is the kind of player that makes you ignore need. He's the best edge rusher in this class by my estimation, and he has the potential to have a Merriman/Ware kind of impact. I have him in my top 10 overall players. I'll also cite what the Giants did taking Tuck, and then Kiwanuka, even though they had Osi (and Strahan, who was old, but still effective) - in the NFL, you can never have enough pass rush. If I can get the top pass rusher in the draft at 23, I take him, and worry about how itll all shake out later. The point is to cash your first in on a big time contributor that you can lock up for his whole career, and I think Groves has a better shot at being that guy that any of the other names you usually see going to Pittsburgh in mocks. Not to mention that the kid wants to be a Steeler - I mean he buys into the Steelers mystique and wants to be part of it. I will be :potkettle: if I hear "With the 23rd pick in the draft, the Steelers select linebacker from Auburn, Quentin Groves."

Assuming you're saying the top 4 OTs are Long, Clady, Williams, and Otah, I would take one of :Cherilus, Mike Jenkins, Talib, Mayo, Merling, Balmer, or Groves.
Please not Cherilus, Balmer or Talib. Too hit and miss to spend a first on. Jenkins and Merling both work, Merling could end up being a steal. See above for my feelings on Groves. Mayo would be ok, but he's too deliberate for my liking, I would prefer Connor or Lofton, who are more downhill/aggressive, if we go ILB in the first.

Groves wouldn't be a terrible pick. Keep in mind, James Harrison isn't 25. I think he'll be 30 by the time the season starts.

My only "rub" with Groves is that I'm not sure that Avril isn't a more than adequate substitute, if they're looking at them only as outside rushers, and he could be had without the first round price tag. Not trying to say Cliff Avril is as good of an overall player as Groves, but as strictly and outside rusher I don't know that the dropoff is that severe.

FWIW, the Steelers had Avril in for a visit this month. So far, he's the only player that they've brought in that they didn't alert the local media to his visit. Does that mean a damn thing? No idea.

Users who are viewing this thread