What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Hill (WR) - CAR (1 Viewer)

My only concern ( and ill admit I've seen him play a limited number of times) is he doesn't seem to get off the line quickly and struggles to get into his routes when seeing press coverage.

Living in NJ and having seen almost every game the kid has played ,the only thing that is obvious is he is raw. His routes are not crisp and his hands are not where they need to be. However he gets open. He finds pockets in the defense and he is a big target . He's not polished but he will get there.

He looks 25x better than he did last season & Geno Smith is looking his way every passing play. He will lead the NY Jets in Catches & Yards this season.

Buy low while you can and stash him away.

Living in NJ and having seen almost every game the kid has played ,the only thing that is obvious is he is raw. His routes are not crisp and his hands are not where they need to be. However he gets open. He finds pockets in the defense and he is a big target . He's not polished but he will get there.

He looks 25x better than he did last season & Geno Smith is looking his way every passing play. He will lead the NY Jets in Catches & Yards this season.

I don't doubt anything you say, but he seems like a DHB type player to me. Good enough to be in the conversation, but not good enough to win championships.

I don't doubt anything you say, but he seems like a DHB type player to me. Good enough to be in the conversation, but not good enough to win championships.
how many 22 year olds are championship caliber players? This kid needs some time to develope and He has improved a lot in limited game action. The arrow is pointing up on this kid. He is not going to win anyone a title right now but each week he plays and gains more experience increases his value. Again not a polished product by any means yet but take into consideration who's been throwing this kid the ball . Sanchez and now Geno Smith who needs experience himself. If he was on the Packers or Patriots we would be having an entirely different conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's got Stevie Johnson upside, imo. Jets Offense is super suspect tho'. I'll pencil him in for 6TD, can't see much more than that which may limit his upside. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Roddy White looked terrible when he first started, but anything can happen.

Max Power said:

If he's got 4 for 86 potential, then he's good enough to start on a championship squad in plenty of my leagues. Once you get to 12+ teams with 6+ WRs/RBs starting, nobody's stacked at every spot. Hill was on the wire in most (maybe all) of my leagues in week 1. I picked him up in a few places to take advantage of the Yahoo Thursday game glitch, and I was impressed with what I saw. TY Hilton may find himself on my bench if he doesn't show up this week.

Raider Nation said:
I started him over Fitz. Sweeeet.
Screen cap or it didn't happen.
Rough game last night. Fumble, drops, unpolished routes. Geno still looked for him but some of that is because Gates and Spadola were even worse than H
The fumble was bad but it came on a nice catch. He only had one drop.
Hill owner, by any chance? :)
In every league but I challenge anyone to say I'm wrong.
Have you started him in any of your leagues yet?
No, for some reason I keep thinking Bowe is a better start. :wall:

Raider Nation said:
I started him over Fitz. Sweeeet.
Screen cap or it didn't happen.
Rough game last night. Fumble, drops, unpolished routes. Geno still looked for him but some of that is because Gates and Spadola were even worse than H
The fumble was bad but it came on a nice catch. He only had one drop.
Hill owner, by any chance? :)
In every league but I challenge anyone to say I'm wrong.
Have you started him in any of your leagues yet?
No, for some reason I keep thinking Bowe is a better start. :wall: [/quote

Lmao

It's early, but he's on pace for 1,248 receiving yards. :shrug:

I figure if he can do that through a rookie QB breaking his teeth for three games he might be OK.

What do you guys think of Holmes though? Good or bad to have him back for Hill?

Kid has measurables out the wazoo. Just has to put it together. Even the best take a year or two.
That was only half of the problem though. Raise your hand if you really believed in Geno Smith this year.
You weren't concerned about his QB , you said he had horrible hands and needed to be stay on the bench or be cut to let a real wr play . ; )
I didn't make that up out of thin air. That was everyone's major concern with him. Do a Google search on his name + "stone hands" and you'll see multiple pages of results. That said, he definitely looks promising. He's clearly been working at his craft. Just need to see some week-to-week consistency now.

Kid has measurables out the wazoo. Just has to put it together. Even the best take a year or two.
That was only half of the problem though. Raise your hand if you really believed in Geno Smith this year.
You weren't concerned about his QB , you said he had horrible hands and needed to be stay on the bench or be cut to let a real wr play . ; )
I didn't make that up out of thin air. That was everyone's major concern with him. Do a Google search on his name + "stone hands" and you'll see multiple pages of results. That said, he definitely looks promising. He's clearly been working at his craft. Just need to see some week-to-week consistency now.
You can do that with pretty much any combination of words...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w24lgZ44twc

:cool:

Updated S. Hill projections:

13 receptions, 233 yds, 1 td

22.5 targets so far in the season (mfl has 22, cbs has 23, f@#$ if I know why the discrepancy)

7.5 targets/game

17 yds/catch

4.3 catches/game

59% catch rate

Full season: 120 targets, 68-71 catches, 5-6 TDs, 1100 - 1200 yds

Basically, Lance Moore from last season, who finished WR20 in my standard scoring league: (65 rcpts, 1065 yds, 6 tds, 104 tgts)

WR 20 is pretty much a lower level WR2, mid WR3, decent Flex play.

These are just the numbers.

Each game this season his stats get better.... Its like a stock chart trending upwards fast... with Holmes playing better also...

This guy is going to be a very valuable asset this season.. Geno Smith is looking much better each game which helps

Each game this season his stats get better.... Its like a stock chart trending upwards fast... with Holmes playing better also...

This guy is going to be a very valuable asset this season.. Geno Smith is looking much better each game which helps
I think he is a good target for dynasty traders, anyone see any trades, post them I am curious of his perceived value long term

Would anyone place his value above Bowe's at this point? I'm just trying to get a sense of his value vs. other WRs.
I wouldn't trade him for Bowe in my dynasty leagues.
As long as Bowe has Alex (can't throw more than fifteen yards downfield) Smith throwing it to him, I would value S. Hill way above him... Especially since Geno isn't afraid to throw bombs.

I think if the opposing teams #1 db is on Holmes, I would rather have Hill. They are both decent players though.

Stephen Hill exited Sunday's Week 4 game against the Titans with a head injury.

Hill was hurt on the second play of the game. Geno Smith targeted him on his first pass, but the ball was behind him and picked off. Michael Griffin then came over and popped Hill as Alterraun Verner was running the interception back. Sep 29 - 4:23 PM

Unfortunate.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7445/stephen-hill

Stephen Hill (concussion) was a full participant in Saturday's practice and is probable for Week 5 against the Falcons.

Hill is seven days removed from a severe concussion and has been medically cleared to return. With Santonio Holmes (hamstring) ruled out, the Jets will have just five active receivers this week. Clyde Gates (knee) practiced on a limited basis and is officially listed as questionable.

Time to rack up some points in a blow out game!

How severe was his concussion if he was cleared after only 7 days?
We're learning from the concussion lawsuits that "severe concussions" can clear up after a few days, while "mild concussions" can have effects that linger for weeks. The human brain is a mystery.

Stephen Hill (concussion) was a full participant in Saturday's practice and is probable for Week 5 against the Falcons.

Hill is seven days removed from a severe concussion and has been medically cleared to return. With Santonio Holmes (hamstring) ruled out, the Jets will have just five active receivers this week. Clyde Gates (knee) practiced on a limited basis and is officially listed as questionable.

With ATL's horrible pass defense he's a tempting start.

With ATL's horrible pass defense he's a tempting start.
I grabbed him as insurance for Julio Monday night, in case Julio somehow is a scratch. If WRs weren't my strongest part of my team and he wasn't playing on Monday (can't have that many risks playing on Monday), I would be tempted to play him.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/10/stephen_hill_says_hes_ready_to_play_against_falcons_if_he_clears_concussion_protocol.html

Stephen Hill gripped the collar of his shoulder pads in the Jets locker room today. The wide receiver was back at practice, five days after sustaining a concussion on the second play of Sunday's loss to the Tennessee Titans.

Apart from slight headaches, which subsided Wednesday, Hill said he has felt no effects of the blow from Michael Griffin. Hill was reaching back for a pass thrown by Geno Smith when the Titans safety rammed into Hill, who said he was stunned on the field and remembered blood filling his mouth as trainers stood over him after Griffin's helmet pounded Hill's chin.

Hill said practice today was "just like a regular day," only due to the NFL protocol for head injuries, Hill wore a red jersey barring teammates from making contact with him. Hill still needs clearance to play Monday, but says he is ready to participate against the Falcons and has been in meetings with his teammates since Wednesday to prepare.

Prior to the start of the season, Hill said Sanjay Lal, the Jets receivers coach, spoke to him about practicing when injured. In the NFL, Lal said, full health is a rarity.

Lal "said once you're in the NFL, you're not going to be fine," Hill said. "Something is going to hurt you. I noticed that last year, there was always something bothering me. It could have been in my head a little bit. But I can't really tell say. This year it definitely helped me out because I've practiced with injuries."

If Hill does play, he will be making a homecoming. He grew up in Tucker, Ga., about a 20-minute drive to Atlanta. Hill said he will probably see his mother, and pick up a few tickets -- probably less than 10 -- for friends and family.

"It's just too much," he said of the distractions that come with playing in the Atlanta area.

Forced to start him today. Hoping for a lot of targets with Holmes out and Kerley with a bad hamstring.

I haven't paid much attention ti hill for the last month...what's his deal? hands still made of stone?

Users who are viewing this thread