What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stephen Nicholas (1 Viewer)

Rozelle

It’s time for Mr. Nicholas to have his own thread. With all signs pointing to Demorrio Williams heading out of Atlanta, Nicholas should be in line for a starting gig in ’08.

He rotated series with Williams last year before and after his ankle injury (high ankle sprain). As Jene (I spelled it right this time :thumbup: ) stated in another thread, there is some question on whether he goes 225 or 232. I think 232 is the more accurate.

So where does he play? Well … will appears to be the best bet, some say he lacks the speed to play will, but he plays faster than his timed 4.7. I think the Falcons may give him a shot at mike, to allow Brooking to go back outside. He may be a bit light, but he has a strong upper body (29 reps at combine).

Some concerns:

Durability … FWIW, had the high ankle sprain last year and he redshirted in ’02 (ankle). Really he has been pretty durable.

New Head Coach … However, on the plus side, VanGorder is the new DC, and was LB coach last year for the Falcons.

Nicholas is a tough, instinctive, high motor type, who plays with a mean streak. I really liked this guy last year as a relatively no-name, who would get an opportunity at the next level and be a pretty productive IDP.

Yep … I’m a Nicholas owner. ;)

:confused:

It’s time for Mr. Nicholas to have his own thread. With all signs pointing to Demorrio Williams heading out of Atlanta, Nicholas should be in line for a starting gig in ’08.

He rotated series with Williams last year before and after his ankle injury (high ankle sprain). As Jene (I spelled it right this time :lmao: ) stated in another thread, there is some question on whether he goes 225 or 232. I think 232 is the more accurate.

So where does he play? Well … will appears to be the best bet, some say he lacks the speed to play will, but he plays faster than his timed 4.7. I think the Falcons may give him a shot at mike, to allow Brooking to go back outside. He may be a bit light, but he has a strong upper body (29 reps at combine).

Some concerns:

Durability … FWIW, had the high ankle sprain last year and he redshirted in ’02 (ankle). Really he has been pretty durable.

New Head Coach … However, on the plus side, VanGorder is the new DC, and was LB coach last year for the Falcons.

Nicholas is a tough, instinctive, high motor type, who plays with a mean streak. I really liked this guy last year as a relatively no-name, who would get an opportunity at the next level and be a pretty productive IDP.

Yep … I’m a Nicholas owner. :cry:

:fishing:
Not bad for a 10th round flyer in my rookie draft last season!! Man I hope this pays off!!

Thanks for waiting to start this thread until a few hours after I secured him for the minimum in Zealots. :blackdot:

I liked him at USF. He will be productive.

Nothing against Nicholas, but now is the perfect time to sell him "high". Everybody's reading the news about Demorrio touring the country, everybody has penciled Nicholas into the starting lineup. Here are the remaining risk with Nicholas:

1) The Falcons could draft a better LB in the draft.

2) Brooking is moved to WLB (this has been strongly hinted). Nicholas could never be a MLB and Boley has a lock on the strong-side gig.

3) Maybe Nicholas just doesn't have the talent to be a full-time starter in the NFL. I'm not knocking his talent, but he did fall to the 4th-round of the NFL draft.

Nothing against Nicholas, but now is the perfect time to sell him "high". Everybody's reading the news about Demorrio touring the country, everybody has penciled Nicholas into the starting lineup. Here are the remaining risk with Nicholas:1) The Falcons could draft a better LB in the draft.2) Brooking is moved to WLB (this has been strongly hinted). Nicholas could never be a MLB and Boley has a lock on the strong-side gig.3) Maybe Nicholas just doesn't have the talent to be a full-time starter in the NFL. I'm not knocking his talent, but he did fall to the 4th-round of the NFL draft.
There are tons of quality starters drafted in the 4th round or later. :hangover:

Nothing against Nicholas, but now is the perfect time to sell him "high". Everybody's reading the news about Demorrio touring the country, everybody has penciled Nicholas into the starting lineup. Here are the remaining risk with Nicholas:

2) Brooking is moved to WLB (this has been strongly hinted). Nicholas could never be a MLB and Boley has a lock on the strong-side gig.

3) Maybe Nicholas just doesn't have the talent to be a full-time starter in the NFL. I'm not knocking his talent, but he did fall to the 4th-round of the NFL draft.
Zach Thomas, undersized MLB, was drafted in the 5th.

I love this kid, and I think it is his time to shine.

I thought I'd skate him through as an RFA in league but I'm learning quickly that I'm not alone in those who covet him. I'll still retain him, but I have a feeling that'll be the last time I risk him.

He really shone through in his bowl game about 15 months ago and the kid has a motor that just won't quit. I see him running rampant and impressing everyone very soon, if he hasn't already. WILL or MIKE, he'll put up very good numbers. Remember, Atlanta faces teams in their division that likes to emphasize the run (Carolina) and giving the ball to their backs (New Orleans and Tampa Bay). I like his upside and future.

Now that Demorrio is out of the picture, it's still too early to crown Nicholas a starter ... however, he did take a step in the right direction . I suppose Tony Taylor could surprise, or as WD stated, Falcons could draft another LB, but they have several other areas more pressing. We'll see how they come out of free agency.

I'm just saying... :shrug: link:

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports...=7&cxcat=21

Adding at least one defensive tackle is a priority, but it might not come at the expense of cutting players. Brooking isn't expected to play middle linebacker again — for the Falcons — and if he is back with the team, he probably would be moved to his natural weakside position.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm just saying... :shrug: link:

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports...=7&cxcat=21

Adding at least one defensive tackle is a priority, but it might not come at the expense of cutting players. Brooking isn't expected to play middle linebacker again — for the Falcons — and if he is back with the team, he probably would be moved to his natural weakside position.
I understand where you're coming from. I'm hoping for another Jesse Tuggle :wub: ... Like Nicholas, Tuggle came from a small school (Valdosta State), however, he was not drafted (1987 UFA). Maybe Atlanta can strike gold again.

I love Nicholas as a pass rushing LB, and he does play with a lot of desire, but Weiner Dog's concerns are going unheeded. If Brooking and Boley are the OLBs, where does Nicholas fit in? He's a pick of the old regime, so there's no guarantee that the new regime has plans for him. This is definitely a wait and see situation.

I love Nicholas as a pass rushing LB, and he does play with a lot of desire, but Weiner Dog's concerns are going unheeded. If Brooking and Boley are the OLBs, where does Nicholas fit in? He's a pick of the old regime, so there's no guarantee that the new regime has plans for him. This is definitely a wait and see situation.
I don't think WD's concerns are going unheeded. 1) The Falcons could draft a better LB in the draft.

True, however they have several needs more pressing than LB. They have addressed RB and safety via free agency, but still need QB, DT, and OL help plus D-Hall's future with the team is cloudy at best. So unless they take a LB early, they'll be drafting another one that falls to the 4th round or later, which is one of the knocks on Nicholas.

So Bloom ... are you saying there is no way Nicholas can play mike? If Boley, Brooking, and Nicholas are their 3 best LB's, do you think they will find a way to get those 3 on the field (even if that means leaving Brooking in the middle)?. I don't understand why Nicholas is totally being written off as a possible option for the mike. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sayin he can ... I have no idea if he can or can't. I'm sure you've seen alot more of him than I. Just curious why others feel he can't play there. I haven't seen no reasons, just that he can't.

I think he has the talent, so this is just a difference of opinion for me. With all due respect to WD, the fact he fell to the 4th round, really means nothing.

Without question the new regime should be a concern, as I stated in my original post. VanGorder is back, maybe thats a feather in his cap, who knows. I totally agree this is a wait and see situation. However, I do think Nicholas is better and more versatile than some give him credit. You know how it is ... sometimes all you need is the opportunity and it appears there's a good chance it will happen.

So Bloom ... are you saying there is no way Nicholas can play mike? If Boley, Brooking, and Nicholas are their 3 best LB's, do you think they will find a way to get those 3 on the field (even if that means leaving Brooking in the middle)?. I don't understand why Nicholas is totally being written off as a possible option for the mike. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sayin he can ... I have no idea if he can or can't. I'm sure you've seen alot more of him than I. Just curious why others feel he can't play there. I haven't seen no reasons, just that he can't.
Ive felt pretty strongly that Nicholas fits best at SLB - he's a great edge rusher, but i think he's more of a straight line guy than a sideline to sideline guy. Now, you're right that SOMEONE has to play mike for Atlanta, but I would think Boley before Nicholas - and I see Boley with a better chance of being legit enough to stick there. Nicholas is a nice player, better than his 4th round draft position, but I don't know where he fits in and how much his fantasy stock will grow (but it will) - much like Clint Ingram in Jacksonville.

Ive felt pretty strongly that Nicholas fits best at SLB - he's a great edge rusher, but i think he's more of a straight line guy than a sideline to sideline guy. Now, you're right that SOMEONE has to play mike for Atlanta, but I would think Boley before Nicholas - and I see Boley with a better chance of being legit enough to stick there. Nicholas is a nice player, better than his 4th round draft position, but I don't know where he fits in and how much his fantasy stock will grow (but it will) - much like Clint Ingram in Jacksonville.
Thanks Bloom

All I remember was that he was everywhere in his bowl game last year, making play after play.

I don't recall an issue with lateral movement - I was pretty impressed by him (which had me drafting him in a few leagues).

I agree with the caution, but I definitely see the upside as well. Just because the old regime brought him in doesn't mean that they won't just look at his talent and abilities, which should be readily on display.

Rozelle said:
Jeff, do you think he can be a mike?
That's my belief. I'm by no means as up to IDP as tightly as Jene and Borbely, but my eyes tell me he has that ability.My dataset is admittedly low, but from what I've seen I like his skills.

I need to youtube him.

There's some of him in there. Not a ton.

Thanks Jeff. This will be interesting to see how it all plays out. :goodposting:

CC has this to say in another thread …

Your reading bad scouting reports. I am all you need on Nicholas, :lmao: Moffitt, St. Louis, Jenkins, Williams and Selvie (Those last three are coming along on their path to the NFL).

This was a great defense to watch, study and research. You simply cannot run AT Nicholas. I would break that tape down with anyone. It's like Mayock complaining Patrick Willis sometimes gets engulfed by OLs. Then he shows footage of Willis fighting 6-9, 320 pound uber-athlete and future NFL franchise LT, King Dunlap. "Willis has a trouble with maulers and gets engulfed too easily." Well, Dunlap lost that battle in the end, and it was one of very few he ever lost.

I'm sure there's footage of Nicholas being blocked. Not nearly as much as him simply dominating against the run. That's his game. He had 90 some tackles playing the position least likely to make tackles and Moffit beat him for leading the team by a couple assists or something. Nicholas equals run support first, pass rush second, coverage third, weakside pursuit fourth. He is good enough at all to play either side. He can, like Ryans, play in the middle.

I agree with what you've read from Atlanta and WLB being most likely, but the limiting report is false. Boley is a better playmaker than Nicholas. When asked to compare Nicholas to a pro over at my subscription site before the draft... I picked a slightly less athletic Boley.

But let's not go so far to say "I like him." I liked him better than the many OLBs who were grading much higher in a very weak class that I expect to have little impact. I think the online scouting reports on the LBs can rightfully be filed in the garbage, which is what they were (according to 32 NFL franchises and me). If you believe them then Earl Everett is a far better prospect. I got these guys right. I may have blown the DEs by falling in love with the Georgia Bulldogs, but I got these LBs down

FWIW … Atlanta HC Mike Smith is a LB guy, played LB in high school, college and his 1 year of pro ball in Canada. He also was a LB coach for at least 7 years of his coaching career.

Brooking (in his 11th season) could be a cap casualty in 2009, which I believe is the final year of his contract, or at the very least, asked to restructure. If they believe Nicholas is their future will, and the fact they let Demorrio walk, leaves me to believe this could be the case, it seems that it’s in Atlanta’s best interest to play him there now. I suspect they may try him at mike, to allow Brooking to go back outside. However if that experiment fails, you may see Brooking stay inside. Tony Taylor may be the wildcard in all of this.

I would love to hear GM Thomas Dimitroff comment on his personnel. He has an excellent track record of evaluating players, and has many seasons on the scouting side of the NFL. Blank made it clear that Dimitroff has firm control over drafting players, signing free agents and crafting the roster. Some food for thought … though Mike Smith is a 4-3 guy, Dimitroff came from an organization (New England) who has had tremendous amount of success in a 3-4.

From The Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder said Keith Brooking will be back in the middle between strongsider Michael Boley and weaksider Stephen Nicholas. Depth is needed at all three spots. They need a middle linebacker to take over for Brooking.
Although this could just be an offseason news filler of course.
Thanks chook. Nice to get some confirmation here. We'll see how the draft and post-draft mini-camps play out; maybe we'll get an indication of how the nickel packages will look.

Defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder said Keith Brooking will be back in the middle between strongsider Michael Boley and weaksider Stephen Nicholas. Depth is needed at all three spots. They need a middle linebacker to take over for Brooking.
IMHO, once he gets on the field we'll see how good he is. I think he'll show why he's starting material rather quickly.

IMHO, once he gets on the field we'll see how good he is. I think he'll show why he's starting material rather quickly.
:thumbdown: Thanks chook!If this holds up ... You have think it will be Boley and Brooking in nickel.

If Atlanta deals D Hall to Oakland, which ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting will happen, the Falcons will be loaded with draft picks.

Four of the top 48 and 11 picks total. :unsure: Plenty of picks and fire power to address a MLB position early if they choose.

1st Round (No. 3 overall)

2nd Round (No. 37 overall)

2nd Round (No. 38 overall) From Oakland

2nd Round (No. 48 overall) From Houston

3rd Round (No. 68 overall)

4th Round*

5th Round*

6th Round*

6th round From Oakland

7th Round*

7th Round* From Pittsburgh

With all due respect, shouldn't the Falcons find legitimate starters at QB, DT, OT, CB, OG, and S before upgrading at LB?

With all due respect, shouldn't the Falcons find legitimate starters at QB, DT, OT, CB, OG, and S before upgrading at LB?
Yes they should or I would think so, and hope so, however, with all those picks to address needs, if they had value on the board at that position early you never know. As a Nicholas owner, I hope they don't :thumbup:

I expect him to have a long productive career.

I expect him to have a long productive career.
I know you've seen quite a bit of Nicholas. Thanks for the input CC.

With Atlanta drafting Lofton, I think this may very well change things for Nicholas ... at least this year. I can't see them doing anything with Brooking just yet, his experience and leadership will be too valuable.

With Atlanta drafting Lofton, I think this may very well change things for Nicholas ... at least this year. I can't see them doing anything with Brooking just yet, his experience and leadership will be too valuable.
It will be interesting to follow. I may overestimate Nicholas, but I sure wouldn't underestimate him. :pickle:

Falcons 2007 fourth-round pick Stephen Nicholas is running as a backup.

Nicholas nearly overtook Demorrio Williams for a starting job as a rookie, but apparently the new coaching staff didn't like what it saw on film. With Curtis Lofton stationed inside and Keith Brooking back at WLB, Nicholas will probably open the season as Atlanta's fourth linebacker.

Yep ... with all the areas Atlanta needed to address, I didn't expect LB to be one they did early. The drafting of Lofton should keep Nicholas on the bench. The question now is, how long?

Yep ... with all the areas Atlanta needed to address, I didn't expect LB to be one they did early. The drafting of Lofton should keep Nicholas on the bench. The question now is, how long?
Nicholas figures to be on the bench as long as Brooking is there. Even beyond that, who knows? The new regime didn't draft him, so who knows how high they are on him? I think the Lofton pick could have one of two angles: Either they aren't as high on Nicholas as the old regime, or they just didn't want Brooking to play in the middle.

I know someone else mentioned this somewhere, but it bears repeating: If Nicholas is indeed the backup at the start of the season, it is the best time to buy low and stash.

The third angle could be Brooking doesn't want to play in the middle. He's never liked it as far as I could tell and maybe they think the system would work better if he is at WLB.

Users who are viewing this thread