What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (4 Viewers)

Cool. I'm glad you know more about my personal experience than me. I must have hallucinated being told to back-date due diligence on investments that had already lost 90% of their value.
I wasn't doubting you at all.  When you said:  Due diligence and effective oversight is a constant struggle. 

I took it to mean a constant struggle for hedge funds to get checks from Pensions.  Looks like I misread your intent there, certainly wasn't trying to suggest you were wrong.

From where I sit and have sat, getting money from pensions is incredibly hard these days.  Sorry it came across as me doubting your experience. 

When you sell a stock in Fidelity, how long does it take for funds to settle?

I've got a decent amount of cash available to trade from stuff I sold over the past couple of days, but $0 settled. I'd like to take another bite of NOK before close, but would have to do so with unsettled funds. Will I be stuck holding it until the cash I use to buy it settles?
You'll get a good faith violation, unless you're trading on margin. If you incur 3 good faith violations in a 12-month period in a cash account, your brokerage firm will restrict your account to where you can only trade on settled funds.

When you sell a stock in Fidelity, how long does it take for funds to settle?

I've got a decent amount of cash available to trade from stuff I sold over the past couple of days, but $0 settled. I'd like to take another bite of NOK before close, but would have to do so with unsettled funds. Will I be stuck holding it until the cash I use to buy it settles?
Apply for a margin account so you don't get backed into this corner.

I learned in the 90's that they don't have a sense of humor about trading unsettled funds.

To anyone who is invested in the current Reddit pump-and-dump stocks (GME, AMC, NOK), please sell off your shares before end-of-day on Friday (01/29).

These stocks are being artificially inflated due to increased volume. They are not increasing in price due to market conditions or speculation.

Because the markets are closed over the weekend, there is of course, no trading volume. Because of this, there is NO REASON for any of your shares in these companies to gain value over the weekend.

However, you are only putting yourself at RISK of a financial event to occur over the weekend to invoke an IMMEDIATE market selloff come Monday morning.

There is no upside to holding these securities on non-trading days, imo.
My gb OZ paid for a year of his kid at Vandy today by ignoring your advice.

Needed to do some profit taking.

sold half my CYDY at 5.48

Will probably sell a couple thousand UVXY, but I'll do that after market, as it tends to go even higher then

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't doubting you at all.  When you said:  Due diligence and effective oversight is a constant struggle. 

I took it to mean a constant struggle for hedge funds to get checks from Pensions.  Looks like I misread your intent there, certainly wasn't trying to suggest you were wrong.

From where I sit and have sat, getting money from pensions is incredibly hard these days.  Sorry it came across as me doubting your experience. 
No worries. I certainly had an outlier experience at a place that really tightened up after I left/new Treasurer got elected. Nothing against HFs and was mostly on this tangent to point out that some pension funds are likely exposed to these HF losses as they strive to generate "alpha".

it usually continues up after hours on days like this. At least do it incrementally. I have 8000 shares and only sold 500 at 13.88
I missed out on a much bigger rally that I thought UVXY would go on today.  Nice hold, you and Kev. :thumbup:

Needed to do some profit taking.

sold half my CYDY at 3.48

Will probably sell a couple thousand UVXY, but I'll do that after market, as it tends to go even higher then
I was surprised it only dropped .12 off of its high today.  I thought there would be way more profit taking in the last 20 minutes.

it usually continues up after hours on days like this. At least do it incrementally. I have 8000 shares and only sold 500 at 13.88
No doubt you're right, but my cost basis is so high I have get up on my toes to see it. I've reached my pain point, and I need to use this lift to get out. My quick math says I lost 6.88%. I need to take shorter, more compact swings at this one.

No doubt you're right, but my cost basis is so high I have get up on my toes to see it. I've reached my pain point, and I need to use this lift to get out. My quick math says I lost 6.88%. I need to take shorter, more compact swings at this one.
Jumped another 10%+ in AH.   We might hit 16!

Users who are viewing this thread