What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (4 Viewers)

Anybody think there is a chance the S&P and Dow squeak out a small gain this year or has that ship sailed?
Possible but I think we come up a little short.  We need data showing we have hit peak inflation and for it to head back down from 8-9% rather quickly and then the Fed to indicate a pause of rate hikes for that scenario.

The data indicates we are in a recession or very close to it technically. Won't know until 2Q GDP comes out. It seems likely to be very shallow.

I'd like to see the VIX calm down a lot.  That post Covid crash, high VIX, FOMO, rally was fun, but really unhealthy.  I'll feel better about new market highs when we have a VIX sustaining a <20 average, preferably closer to 15.     

Inflation peak data I think we're close or passed it.  Recession (technically) will or is happening, but as long as employment data stays strong I'm not worried at all.  Could argue unemployment being so low is unhealthy.  2.8% in my area.  When all these dead bodies get pulled out of the ground to vote in November, we might have to put them at checkout counters instead of back in the ground. 

Thanks for the SOXL tip guys.  Up 68% on this.
Same situation but up 45% in just 2 weeks in taxable account.  Made huge bet as had a lot of cash parked.  Should I take tax hit or let it ride?  Thinking to hold at least until January .  Any way I can avoid tax hit?

• Love
Reactions: KGB
Same situation but up 45% in just 2 weeks in taxable account.  Made huge bet as had a lot of cash parked.  Should I take tax hit or let it ride?  Thinking to hold at least until January .  Any way I can avoid tax hit?
I think you have to hold for 1 year to get a tax break.  could be wrong

Stop working....

In 2022, individual filers won't pay any capital gains tax if their total taxable income is $41,675 or less

I thought a lesson we all learned last year was to just pay the tax instead of giving it all back in the next downturn? 

This is my response to someone mentioning $T. That company is a dumpster fire.
I do the same on IBM although it’s not as bad. T was 20% higher in 1995. 1995. I know there is a dividend but I’m old and I remember after college my GE money market account earned 5% for many years. With inflation and CDs, T has been a terrible investment over almost 30 years now. IBM is about where it was in April of 1999. Damn, same with GE. I remember when I started working there as a consultant after college, GE was a stud for decades but like T, the stock price is the same as it was in 1995 ignoring dividends.

I do the same on IBM although it’s not as bad. T was 20% higher in 1995. 1995. I know there is a dividend but I’m old and I remember after college my GE money market account earned 5% for many years. With inflation and CDs, T has been a terrible investment over almost 30 years now. IBM is about where it was in April of 1999. Damn, same with GE. I remember when I started working there as a consultant after college, GE was a stud for decades but like T, the stock price is the same as it was in 1995 ignoring dividends.
And at least IBM has had leadership changes, bought redhat, and have attempted to move where the puck is going. Doesn’t mean they will execute well, but it’s obvious they recognize what’s happening. AT&T essentially has the same leadership and has shown no indication that they have any idea what they’ve done wrong or what to do to fix it. 

Something about squeezing the shorts, crushing hedge funds, obliterating synthetic shares, etc.

In reality it’s just an accounting thing.
Yeah, the concept is that shorts will have to acquire shares to accommodate the dividend, but I don't really get it. I'll probably set some downside triggers post-split to take profits if it slides next week. 

CCL down 10+ Percent.  I wonder if their starting to run out of cash. I have several friends who are putting off going on trips due to economic and raising Covid concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread