What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (5 Viewers)

So...anyone want to predict where GME opens and closes tomorrow? Roaring Kitty has a live stream scheduled, and the AH price is 61.27...

They reported numbers this morning, which were dreadful of course, didn’t have a call (as usual), and announced more dilution. Surprisingly, it’s down sharply premarket. I might have to gamble myself now. :excited:

Mostly dumb luck but before the Roaring Kitty live stream announcement I took some fun money (not a ton) and bought some mid September AMC $10 calls. Only because GME and AMC are often inextricably related, my calls are now up almost 100%. Should I bank my winnings tomorrow, or roll the dice on a once in a life time YOLO 1,000+% return? I only invested $1K.
Steve Miller Band has a song about what you should do here.

Why not just get NVDA or AMD? Why make it difficult? Yield chasing?
Because I think AMD and NVDA are overpriced and INTC is fairly priced.

That’s fair, but in this case I would just avoid
all of them and look somewhere else. Intel hasn’t demonstrated they can compete or are even close to being able to, so this just seems like a way of trying to force a chip trade just to do a chip trade.

I just watched the movie "The Big Short" last night. Safe bet a bunch of you nerdy stock types have already seen it. :nerd:
Quite a cast with Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Brad Pit, Ryan Gosling, etc.
The premise of the movie was how a very small group of people foresaw, and were able to short mortgage bonds just before the mortgage banking collapse in 2008.
The movie did a terrible job of explaining how the main character created a credit default swap market, allowing him to short market-based mortgage-backed securities.
Does anyone understand this? .. Are you able to explain it to me like I'm the greenskeeper in Caddyshack?

I worked in related areas and directly on credit default swaps for part of the period from 2001 to 2015, the easiest way to describe it would be to think about a Credit Default Swap as insurance on your investment (in this case a mortgage backed security.) They essentially bought a lot of this insurance without owning the investments (taking a short position.) The insurance was expensive to purchase, especially if the investment it was insuring does well as essentially your insurance eventually expires worthless. Its not all that dissimilar from buying a put option on a stock and hoping the stock goes down. If the stock doesn’t go down, the value of your put option gets smaller and smaller over time, but when the investments went bad, you cash-in.

This is a huge simplification of course, but I think the easiest way to explain it. As someone who lived through it, I have a lot of opinions on the subject. I never sold or marketed any of this stuff, i was on the administrative/accounting side for many investors. There was tons of naked greed by many different parties. While a handful of hedges and others were trying to fight the overly positive mania/hysteria, the movie/book made out some of the hedges involved in shorting as white knights which is Hollywood non-sense. Many of them actively threw gasoline on the woodpiles and goosed the housing market by sponsoring selling the junk to investors like pension funds and retirement funds all the while actively betting against said investments because they knew these investments were trash. Many were no different from conmen and snake oil salesmen profiting on both sides IMO. If you want to know more NPR had a great long story on it breaking it down simply called “The Magnetar Trade” (named for one of the more infamous shorts that helped sponsor a lot of junk and then shorted it.) It was a massively eye opening experience for me and left me extremely jaded about financial markets and Wall Street in general.

all of them and look somewhere else. Intel hasn’t demonstrated they can compete or are even close to being able to, so this just seems like a way of trying to force a chip trade just to do a chip trade.
It is my understanding INTC has a catalyst coming later this year with a new chip. I also believe that NVDA already has their next generations of chips priced in. Honestly, I don't know a ton about AMD.

It is my understanding INTC has a catalyst coming later this year with a new chip. I also believe that NVDA already has their next generations of chips priced in. Honestly, I don't know a ton about AMD.

Good luck. I have no faith in them.

Here’s a techie article about that catalyst: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...di-3-will-cost-half-the-price-of-nvidias-h100

Summary is that companies are actually building their infrastructure around NVDA products and those that aren’t (Amazon and Alphabet) are going in house. So, INTEL will be cheaper but will have to navigate all of that, in addition to (not in the article) not continuing to create inferior products.

This one is a little more positive: https://wccftech.com/intel-gaudi-3-...ound-15000-half-of-nvidias-blackwell-pricing/

So...anyone want to predict where GME opens and closes tomorrow? Roaring Kitty has a live stream scheduled, and the AH price is 61.27...
Well damn, GME reporters their Q1 results early and that has it down 16%. Hope no one bought any AHs.
Issuing more stock to raise cash. This has to be the death blow, right? Every time the retail crowd talks themselves into a moonshot rally, they get crushed by dilution.

Well damn, GME reporters their Q1 results early and that has it down 16%. Hope no one bought any AHs.
Issuing more stock to raise cash. This has to be the death blow, right? Every time the retail crowd talks themselves into a moonshot rally, they get crushed by dilution.

They do this every time and it still has meme moments. Fundamentals are irrelevant with $GME.

You’d think by now they’d realize it but I think there are people who believe all the corruption. They are the ones like our friendly alien in here, who bought the conspiracy theories hook, line and sinker. They are the ones who thought the squeeze would make them millionaires. Our buddy posted multiple times that $200/250 (pre-split) was a good price. The whole shorts never closed bit was hysterical. So, shorts didn’t close positions on the run post split from $169 to $10? Pretty sure they raked in a ton.

I don’t know roaring kitty but as an outsider who’s never bought a share of GME, it sure seems like it’s the same as before. He was working as a broker, saw an opportunity, bought a ton of shares and options cheap, got Reddit going and made a mint. This is rinse and repeat. He knows there are people who don’t understand fundamentals so he got back in and then started his little posts to generate some heat and he’ll sell out and make an even bigger pile. Look at the price today even with the dive, he’s still up a ton.

Fundamentally, the company’s in a death spiral. All their new initiatives were scrapped and they are bleeding sales and losing money. They’d be bankrupt already if retail investors hadn’t given them chances to sell shares like they did again. The whole Ryan Cohen will never dilute us, we own the float statements are now completely untrue but now the story is that they’re buying Bitcoin and going to be an investment company. 👍

Here’s a techie article about that catalyst: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...di-3-will-cost-half-the-price-of-nvidias-h100

Summary is that companies are actually building their infrastructure around NVDA products and those that aren’t (Amazon and Alphabet) are going in house. So, INTEL will be cheaper but will have to navigate all of that, in addition to (not in the article) not continuing to create inferior products.

This one is a little more positive: https://wccftech.com/intel-gaudi-3-...ound-15000-half-of-nvidias-blackwell-pricing/
I have a pretty large holding of AMD that I’m considering rotating out of and taking my profits. Feel like NVDA is the real leader here (obviously) and so why have AMD.

However, I know very little about this area. It’s been a profitable duo though.

I have a pretty large holding of AMD that I’m considering rotating out of and taking my profits. Feel like NVDA is the real leader here (obviously) and so why have AMD.

However, I know very little about this area. It’s been a profitable duo though.
I like ASML a lot too.

Mostly dumb luck but before the Roaring Kitty live stream announcement I took some fun money (not a ton) and bought some mid September AMC $10 calls. Only because GME and AMC are often inextricably related, my calls are now up almost 100%. Should I bank my winnings tomorrow, or roll the dice on a once in a life time YOLO 1,000+% return? I only invested $1K.
keep on rocking m baby?

Abracadabra…all your money is gone!

I personally don’t get GME’s movements at all. Are there bad actors who take advantage of retail investors who don't understand limit versus market orders and just keep upping their ask prices? It just seems like there are so many eager beavers (retail investors) who think the moon is happening that they buy what’s available at a higher price or are people manipulating things by coordinating sales/buys to make it jump and then FOMO jumps in and the people coordinating jump fully out.

You still see it all the time with tiny companies where they jump on barely any news and then crash soon after. Seems like there is always increased volume the day before and then crazy trading numbers (by pumpers), then the Reddit posts start and the FOMO quick buck crowd comes in and ends up with the pumpers stock and if they are lucky they pawn it off on the next batch.

I’d be interested to know the parties behind all the trades. I can’t believe that the data couldn’t easily show what’s going on and if the same people are doing it over and over and working together.

Roaring Kitty is doing a livestream at noon. Seems like a reasonable bet that GME is going to move one way or another. My accounts don't allow for trading of options on the date of expiry (that's relatively new, I think) but I may lay a bet on the 6/14 calls.

God bless NVDA, a stock that just goes up 2% every day somehow.
I'll call your 2% and raise 2%
Shhhawinggg!
:own3d:
This is crazy. Up a 154% this year.
I was late to the party ... acquired a healthy amount at $790 about 45 days ago.
... but I'm still up over 50%.
I wish that I grabbed more way back then :shiny:
Well Sh**. Down again today. What a turd.
I knew I should have got into a quality stonk like GME or AMC
#nonotreally

Roaring Kitty is doing a livestream at noon. Seems like a reasonable bet that GME is going to move one way or another. My accounts don't allow for trading of options on the date of expiry (that's relatively new, I think) but I may lay a bet on the 6/14 calls.
Will be interesting to see how this pep rally goes.

Will be interesting to see how this pep rally goes.
Halted at least two times. Over 100 millions shares traded within the first hour.

0 dte $50 call (40% out of the money) is $2.20! I thought it was going to be a couple pennies. IV is insane.

Shhhawinggg!
I was late to the party ... acquired a healthy amount at $790 about 45 days ago.
#nonotreally
Joking aside they split on Monday so I imagine there will be some rockiness surrounding that.

Definitely the death blow.

Until the next time.

Which might be 12 EST.

Shhhawinggg!
#nonotreally
Joking aside they split on Monday so I imagine there will be some rockiness surrounding that.
Well that explains some of the move up recently then.
I'm not sure why people think a split makes the company or the stock more valuable but it seems to be a catalyst for upward movement for whatever reason.
I don't mind and I expect a little pull-back after the tear its been on.

Definitely the death blow.

Until the next time.

Which might be 12 EST.
The witching hour, where wins become losses and losses become wins

Currently 128,000 people in the waiting room for the Roaring Kitty live stream.

My calls are in the green already. C’mon, Kitty, pump this turd and get these morons excited.

What is a good $/share that is considered to be very good?

Goldman Sachs is $2.75 per share for their dividend. Is that considered to be very good?
I don't generally like to give out stocks because I feel terribly if they don't perform well, however I'll do my best to give a rudimentary answer to your question.
The dividend amount is not nearly as relevant as the dividend yield.
And while the $2.75 per share quarterly dividend is a good looking amount, when you take into account their share price, the yield is just over 2.3% per year. And while not a bad yield, you can get over twice this amount in a HYSA instead without the risk of capital loss if that's what you're looking for.
REIT (Real Estate Investment Trusts) generally have higher yield as they pay out their income in this form, however they generally have less room for capital appreciation on the underlying asset (stock). Also, they are extremely rate sensitive and as with anything there are definite winners/losers in this space.
Energy and Utility stocks generally throw off higher yields as well, but again, these stocks are very sensitive to the economy and interest rates as they both have high capital expenditures. I prefer energy, but that's just me.
If you are unsure as to what sector you want to invest in, I'd suggest an income ETF (just google and research for some options).
I'm a bit of a chicken and don't like paying higher fees, so I use SCHD for a good portion of my dividend allocation.
I do also own GS, and REIT's and Energy individual stocks.
The reason I've been avoiding lower risk yield options like HYSA is because I expect them to be short-term yield. Maybe we never see rate reductions, but I wouldn't bet on it. Which means locking in some longer-term yield now by accepting some risk is attractive to me (nearing that stage of life). There might also be some preferreds out there that meet what you're hoping to accomplish. I dropped some money in NTRSO because I know the company a little and if they fail we probably have bigger issues. The bigger concern to me is that I'm already over-exposed to FI, but I still like this play. It's about a 5.6% yield last I looked and about 20% upside from a cap appreciation perspective. I've been DCAing in when it drops below $21, and it's right there atm. There are probably some others with similar circumstances.

My calls are in the green already. C’mon, Kitty, pump this turd and get these morons excited.

Which calls did you buy?

0 dte $50 call (40% out of the money) is $2.20! I thought it was going to be a couple pennies. IV is insane.
Totally distorted market. I just decided to throw in the towel re: options and instead buy 20 shares at $37 just for giggles. I will not be watching the livestream but will keep an eye on the stock price.

Which calls did you buy?
06/21 40's

I’m out to lunch, literally. Would rather be hearing the philosophies and movements of Roaring Kitty. It’s an odd time in 21st century America.

Users who are viewing this thread