What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (13 Viewers)

So oil has just jumped, on a percentage basis, the most ever.  Tomorrow should be quite interesting.
Thanks for posting. I just went to fill my tank and the only red container I have. Only about 9 gallons but if/when gas jumps tomorrow, I'll be at work.

Also, depending on what happens next, this could be a big push to use less oil and be less dependent on Saudi oil. Alternative fuels should move to the forefront a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, depending on what happens next, this could be a big push to use less oil and be less dependent on Saudi oil. Alternative fuels should move to the forefront a bit.
Shale gas largely allowed us to decouple from SA.  A good thing.  Though the move to other fuels is a long term item.

The Saudi attack would hurt Europe and China more than anyone else I think, just based on who they sell to, but I wonder how much this will help our oil companies with the higher prices and no damage to repair for the next qtr.

The Saudi attack would hurt Europe and China more than anyone else I think, just based on who they sell to, but I wonder how much this will help our oil companies with the higher prices and no damage to repair for the next qtr.
Right now it looks pretty transient.  I expect a higher oil price to be a bit sticky reflecting risk, but not a huge spike.  Iran is obviously aiming to close the straight, though, and if that happens we're at 120 overnight.

Sideshow Bob said:
@Sand IIRC, you frequent the REITs. Any particular thoughts on SPG?
Thought about buying some, but don't have the cash in a tax deferred account right  now.  From everything I've seen the low grade malls are getting smoked while the A grade malls are seeing increased business.  SPG is near the top of the quality list and it's metrics look good.   Looks compelling if the macro economy hangs in there. Article.

Fair disclosure - bought SKT a bit back and sold out at a bit of a loss.  Eesh.  Bought KIM a bit after that and it has done well.  So .500 on mall REITs lately...

Schwab is eliminating commissions. Still have to pay for option contracts, but that looks like all. I assume ADRs are included since they trade on US exchanges.

"On October 7, 2019, in conjunction with the release of Mr. Schwab’s latest book, “Invested,” Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is removing the final barrier to making investing accessible to everyone by eliminating commissions for stocks, ETFs and options listed on U.S. or Canadian exchanges, across all mobile and web trading channels. Clients trading options will continue to pay 65 cents per contract."

Schwab is eliminating commissions. Still have to pay for option contracts, but that looks like all. I assume ADRs are included since they trade on US exchanges.

"On October 7, 2019, in conjunction with the release of Mr. Schwab’s latest book, “Invested,” Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is removing the final barrier to making investing accessible to everyone by eliminating commissions for stocks, ETFs and options listed on U.S. or Canadian exchanges, across all mobile and web trading channels. Clients trading options will continue to pay 65 cents per contract."
Wow nice 

Wow nice 
That is nice. Going to have to contact Fidelity and get free trades. I’ve got way too much with them from soon to be both my wife’s and my 401k, IRAs, stock plans and investment account. I’d think about switching but it’s so convenient. 

Called TD Ameritrade to try and get free trades and she said the higher-ups are meeting now and they will likely announce some kind of reaction to Schwab in a day or two. Going to try with Merrill Edge next.  I imagine they're all going to have to do something.

Yes, I think they all will have to do this. Schwab went to 4.95 because of a competitor. Can't remember if it was Fidelity or TD
Schwab only gets 8% of revenue from trading now,  so maybe not that big of a give up.

Mostly interest, then asset management. Rounded to something like 60%, 30% IIRC. TD gets 25% from trading, Etrade around 16%.
So makes sense that Schwab struck 1st. (Didn't see anything for Fidelity) And that Schwab's stock declined less than the other two today.

Called TD Ameritrade to try and get free trades and she said the higher-ups are meeting now and they will likely announce some kind of reaction to Schwab in a day or two. Going to try with Merrill Edge next.  I imagine they're all going to have to do something.
Already got the TD Ameritrade email - same terms as Schwab starting 10/3.

Received TD Ameritrade email as well.  October 3 commission free online equity, ETF and option trades.  They also lowered their option contract fees from .75 to $0.65.  Very nice.  

Was able to finally unload my TVIX (long) today for a $1500 profit.

Took a small short position as well .... anticipating a bounce in the market. 

Fun stuff and it's certainly not hurting my portfolio gains.

Still haven't got the minerals to play for big money tho.

Yup. Short 200 @ $16.80

Tiny position but having fun with it ... until it burns me.

Might take another nibble tomorrow depending on action.
Covered just now @ $12.80

... so $800 profit (less fees)

Not awful for one week and such a small risk.

I really need to grow a pair and go 10x this.

Boom or bust with this one:  CYDY.  Biotech drug maker awaiting FDA approval for new HIV drug among other things.  Here's an article from Seeking Alpha that came out last month.

FYI:  Stocks that trade @ ~$0.34 are more likely to go to $0 than $1.  I think this will be an exception.

Boom or bust with this one:  CYDY.  Biotech drug maker awaiting FDA approval for new HIV drug among other things.  Here's an article from Seeking Alpha that came out last month.

FYI:  Stocks that trade @ ~$0.34 are more likely to go to $0 than $1.  I think this will be an exception.
Color me intrigued. Thanks.

With 0 commissions at most places now it becomes pretty easy to justify these small bets.  I'm in for $5!

chet said:

In for 300 shares.....

Sand said:
With 0 commissions at most places now it becomes pretty easy to justify these small bets.  I'm in for $5!
Why not ask them to send you the physical certificates?  Would be pretty lol to see the response.

It is ridiculously coincidental that the CEOs of both NKE and UA announced today that they are stepping down and moving to exec. chairman roles.
Top of the sector? I don't own either.

Users who are viewing this thread