What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

GDX?

SGOL?

???
I would tap the brakes on gold right now.  

Gold futures were on track for another sharp drop on Tuesday and threatening to drag the precious metal’s price below a level seen as key support.

Progress toward remedies for COVID-19 has reduced the need for the safe-haven metal after investors earlier this year rushed into bullion as the U.S. dollar rose amid economic uncertainties created by the pandemic.

Further clarity on the U.S. political scene, after President Trump late Monday said his aides would cooperate with President-elect Joe Biden’s transition to the White House, is also easing investors’ concerns about a drawn-out fight over the Nov. 3 election.

“Covid Vaccine news and the smooth beginning of the transition of Biden as the US president has resulted in gold and silver falling,” wrote Chintan Karnani, chief market analyst at Insignia Consultants.

December gold GCZ20, -1.86% GOLD, -0.68% was trading $27.50, or 1.5%, lower to trade at $1,810.30 an ounce, following a 1.8% skid for the yellow commodity that took it to its lowest settlement since July 20, according to Dow Jones Market Data.

Gold dealer’s see the metal’s support level around $1,800, around its 200-day moving average, after slipping beneath a key level at $1,850 on Monday. Moving averages are seen by technical analysts as potential dividing line between bullish and bearish momentum in an asset.

Gold’s slide also comes as silver for December delivery SIZ20, -1.47% SI00, -1.47% was declining 37 cents, or 1.6%, to trade at $23.26 an ounce, after gold’s sister metal declined 3% in the previous session.

On Monday, gold and silver prices took a fresh hit from reports from drugmaker AstraZeneca, who said a late-stage study found that the vaccine it is developing with the University of Oxford had an up to 90% efficacy rate. That news followed similarly upbeat vaccine news from Pfizer and its partner BioNTech, as well as from drugmaker Moderna earlier this month.

“Finally, the main casualty of the latest bout of euphoria has been gold,” wrote Marios Hadjikyriacos, investment analyst at XM, in a Tuesday note.

Just popped in here to remind myself not to time the market or get nervous that it's way overpriced right now.  Just crossed another milestone I didn't think we'd hit this year. Nothing huge but enough that it came as a surprise. 

Waiting for the bottom to fall again. :stalker:

I'm the opposite.  Today was my biggest selling day in a while.

Biggest sales were half of my position in DFS that I bought at the bottom in March and my very last share of TSLA which has been a couple of swing trade buys that I've been easing out of.

Also locked in some gains on a couple of other re-opening stocks that I bought at the lows in TAP and CAKE.

I didn't get in early on tech like @stbugs so DFS was one of my best if not my best trade of this year on a nearly 4-bagger that was a big chunk of my portfolio.

I am a little worried I'm underexposed to re-opening stocks now with hopefully covid winding down through the summer.  This is the best positioned to buy on any pullbacks I've been in for a while so I fully expect SPY to just run straight to 450.

Biggest sales were half of my position in DFS that I bought at the bottom in March and my very last share of TSLA which has been a couple of swing trade buys that I've been easing out of.

Also locked in some gains on a couple of other re-opening stocks that I bought at the lows in TAP and CAKE.

I didn't get in early on tech like @stbugs so DFS was one of my best if not my best trade of this year on a nearly 4-bagger that was a big chunk of my portfolio.

I am a little worried I'm underexposed to re-opening stocks now with hopefully covid winding down through the summer.  This is the best positioned to buy on any pullbacks I've been in for a while so I fully expect SPY to just run straight to 450.
DFS, SE, QCLN, and TSLA have been fantastic. Even wolverine and SBIO have done well since purchase.  Worst performing companies since purchase are Verizon, Visa, and Toyota. But those were intended to be safer plays anyway.

I'm no where near the baller some of you are, definitely not the trader. But the only buying I can do if things fall is the 10% we have in bonds. So it's rather tempting to follow your call here. 

BassNBrew said:
@stbugs LCA up 12% today.  Selling off half my position for a 30% profit.
Never bought any of that. Don’t even recall which one that was. Definitely lagging market today. Even the stocks that did well the past few days taking a pause. Weird that Amazon was red for a few days and the other stuff carried me and today is the opposite.

I feel like I’ve got some exposure to reopenings in 401ks which are definitely slanted towards indexes. I still think I’ll underperform for a bit as I don’t want to own that stuff long term and I’m much worse at guessing short term trends. I also feel pretty well positioned to add on any type of dip but wonder if that will happen or not. Might just want to figure out the rest of the 5 year plan and get rid of any short term bets and let that run for a while.

I feel like I’ve got some exposure to reopenings in 401ks which are definitely slanted towards indexes. I still think I’ll underperform for a bit as I don’t want to own that stuff long term and I’m much worse at guessing short term trends. I also feel pretty well positioned to add on any type of dip but wonder if that will happen or not. Might just want to figure out the rest of the 5 year plan and get rid of any short term bets and let that run for a while.
That doesn’t sound like much fun

That doesn’t sound like much fun
Depends. It’s fun watching TTD go from $176 to over $800. It’s not fun second guessing yourself and not wanting to own too much and selling some in the $200s. If I was retired and could spend more time then maybe I could watch trends a bit more carefully. I visit this thread the most because I leave 95% alone. I’m better at that. It’d be ideal to lock it and let it roll for 10 years and just watch it beat the market. This has been a heck of a year % and $$$ gain wise. Kind of tees up maybe a more conservative stretch. I’m off the week although been running around doing all kinds of #### for the boss. Going to look at my short term stuff I don’t really care about and see what I need to add for long term.

@ConstruxBoy I know I should have bought on Friday when it dipped but what’s your 5-10 year feeling in PLTR’s return? I’ve bought more $$$s of a company after missing a little pop to make sure I got the same share number I would have. That was for CRNC and well at $86 the pop from $36 to $40 wasn’t a big deal since I just bought more.

Last edited by a moderator:
FUBAR said:
Just popped in here to remind myself not to time the market or get nervous that it's way overpriced right now.  Just crossed another milestone I didn't think we'd hit this year. Nothing huge but enough that it came as a surprise. 

Waiting for the bottom to fall again. :stalker:
The indexes are being led higher in recent days by financials (still very undervalued) and energy. I wouldn't be too worried.

The indexes are being led higher in recent days by financials (still very undervalued) and energy. I wouldn't be too worried.
Financials aren’t very undervalued anymore. DFS is a few dollars from 52 week highs, SIVB (should have bought in March/April) is way above earlier highs and JPM is just about 10% off their highs. Financial stocks aren’t cheap anymore.

Even MGM is only 15% off highs. Restaurant stocks are a little cheaper but BLMN is about 25% off the highs and their revenue is down about that much and their revenue from 2016-2019 was flat to down.

Outside of pure travel stocks and maybe oil stocks (should be considering EVs and alt energy), the market isn’t that cheap anymore. RCL is down 40% from highs and still has no revenue.

I know the market looks forward but I’m still good in tech/growth looking 5 years out than trying to squeeze the last bit of value. If you bought in March to June, looking good but after just taking a quick look things aren’t as undervalued in the less risky areas. Throw in some of the craziness of EV stocks and it’s very frothy considering we aren’t in a great place CV/economy wise.

Bookmarking this for amazon 4k
Good.  Maybe it will catch up close enough to Kroger and Albertsons to visible in the rear view mirror by then.

On a serious note, I can't wrap my head around the last couple of months.  Not sure what box amazon needs to check to be back in favor.

Good.  Maybe it will catch up close enough to Kroger and Albertsons to visible in the rear view mirror by then.

On a serious note, I can't wrap my head around the last couple of months.  Not sure what box amazon needs to check to be back in favor.
Next earnings report. They guided for a bigger than expected revenue jump for Q4 but played very cautious on earnings due to CV. The blew the doors off both in Q3, so don’t be surprised if they do again.

Are the thoughts on NRGU that it will keep rising, or would someone be better off booking profits at this point? Not a lot in it, but I'm ok with taking the money and using it elsewhere.

Financials aren’t very undervalued anymore. DFS is a few dollars from 52 week highs, SIVB (should have bought in March/April) is way above earlier highs and JPM is just about 10% off their highs. Financial stocks aren’t cheap anymore.
There are exceptions, but most of the sector is still a lot further from their highs than that. Those have been the names propelling the DIJA and SP500 (to a lesser extent) to recent highs the last few days. Just pointing out this sector finally joining the party isn't signaling that that the other poster should be worried the market overall is "way overpriced".

I personally still think there is a lot of room to run in the GSIBs. Once the CECL reserves start being released and the Fed allows buybacks...

I know the market looks forward but I’m still good in tech/growth looking 5 years out than trying to squeeze the last bit of value. If you bought in March to June, looking good but after just taking a quick look things aren’t as undervalued in the less risky areas. Throw in some of the craziness of EV stocks and it’s very frothy considering we aren’t in a great place CV/economy wise.
Closer to you on this. I think it would be best if we could get some stimulus to get the economy through the dark winter before the (hopeful) vaccine. I also don't think the human pain and suffering we're about to see really impacts the market much without widespread lockdowns. I trust that Yellen and Powell will be able to do whatever it takes to prevent liquidity issues like we saw in March. So there is a nice floor, but a declining business is still a declining business.

EV/Renewables do seem a bit over their skis considering the reality of a mixed government in DC. We're going that way eventually though, so hard to time.

Amazon is up 68% for the year. I don’t understand how it’s the fault of the stock that you poorly timed your purchase. You sure can’t say I wasn’t in here talking about it. 

Depends. It’s fun watching TTD go from $176 to over $800. It’s not fun second guessing yourself and not wanting to own too much and selling some in the $200s. If I was retired and could spend more time then maybe I could watch trends a bit more carefully. I visit this thread the most because I leave 95% alone. I’m better at that. It’d be ideal to lock it and let it roll for 10 years and just watch it beat the market. This has been a heck of a year % and $$$ gain wise. Kind of tees up maybe a more conservative stretch. I’m off the week although been running around doing all kinds of #### for the boss. Going to look at my short term stuff I don’t really care about and see what I need to add for long term.

@ConstruxBoy I know I should have bought on Friday when it dipped but what’s your 5-10 year feeling in PLTR’s return? I’ve bought more $$$s of a company after missing a little pop to make sure I got the same share number I would have. That was for CRNC and well at $86 the pop from $36 to $40 wasn’t a big deal since I just bought more.
5-10 years is hard to judge obviously. I think it's easily 30-40 by next summer. It will be volatile but they really have a great system and a serious drive to get better without succumbing to the quarterly whims of Wall Street. I like that. Some article on SA today called it the Facebook of the Industrial sector, which is pretty encouraging. 

I'm actually think of selling some puts at 14 or 15 in case it drops back down.  

5-10 years is hard to judge obviously. I think it's easily 30-40 by next summer. It will be volatile but they really have a great system and a serious drive to get better without succumbing to the quarterly whims of Wall Street. I like that. Some article on SA today called it the Facebook of the Industrial sector, which is pretty encouraging. 

I'm actually think of selling some puts at 14 or 15 in case it drops back down.  
Thanks. I think I will see if it settles. I think it almost has to as a lot has gone too far too fast. Maybe options is a way to bring the price down a bit.

eaganwildcats said:
Hey @Whyatt I've been continuing to accumulate $HGEN. Any update on your line of thinking on this one? Let's try to keep it civil in here, folks. Just curious. 
Wildcat, I appreciate your investment blog.

I haven’t sold a share of HGEN. Obviously the stock and sector is out of favor due to vaccine news. The announcement to increase enrollment in their p3 trial was met with disappointment. The good news is the trial is expected to fill quickly and I feel strongly that the decision to increase enrollment derisks the outcome. Know that Operation Warp Speed personnel have seen unblinded data, do you think they decided to partner with a lost cause? The interim results are trending better than standard of care.  Severe critical COVID patients have scant options, steroids and stuff that’s not helpful. As I mentioned previously, Operation Warp Speed will be very helpful for a small company like HGEN, once you have a regulatory package (BLA) suitable for the US, it’s much less difficult to file applications worldwide.

Great vaccine news hurts HGENs COVID upside, but by no means kills it. OWS is buying medications and stockpiling. Also recognize this drug has been in development for quite some time for the purpose of immunomodulation. Clearing the regulatory hurdles for COVID approval helps speed other indications.

An analyst just reiterated a buy with a price target of $34. I’m waiting this out. Just my humble (biased) opinion.

https://www.smarteranalyst.com/new-blurbs/h-c-wainwright-thinks-humanigens-stock-is-going-to-recover/

Energy stocks have been doing great.  Nblx is one I have taken a larger position in.  I'm also in KM, WMB, WES, CVX, XOM.

I mentioned a stock here a while back that has really done well, WBT.  Unfortunately, I pulled out before the huge jump. Doh

Bought a fair amount of LGVW premarket at 17.10.   

The first SPAC in a while that I've had interest in.

I also doubled down on bitcoin on Monday...playing with a fair amount of house money so risk is hedged...don't want any regrets if it goes to 100k.

More on LGVW

Bought a fair amount of LGVW premarket at 17.10.   

The first SPAC in a while that I've had interest in.

I also doubled down on bitcoin on Monday...playing with a fair amount of house money so risk is hedged...don't want any regrets if it goes to 100k.

More on LGVW
Hmm, seems like a 100% competitor to NNOX. Do they have any approvals or pre-approval? I do hate buying in at the peak right after the merger is announced. Friday (when announced) was a much better entry. The excitement tends to die down a bit on SPACs. I’m still holding TTCF because I think it will be a long term hit but if it was in my IRA I would have already sold and probably bought back in. Tax rates/limits are a big concern in my regular brokerage. Big mistake buying short term stuff outside of IRA.

FSR on a run this morning, not sure what triggered it but a welcome surprise. Resisting urge to take profits (+60%), hoping this takes off in 2021 as they get closer to rolling out some trucks. 

Users who are viewing this thread